Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

You are.

F Minus

Mark Trail

This kid is incredibly low-effort design.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

And yet, Tom is on the left side.

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/23/52

Archie 5/8-10/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 8/15-17/77

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Pluggers look at life through smudged glasses.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Jughead sees miss Grundy collapsing and keeps walking.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Stultus Maximus posted:

When I had LASIK surgery, I smelled what reminded me of burning hair. I quickly put two and two together (corneas and hair are both made of keratin). Since they had me whacked out on valium, it was more amusing than anything. I remarked "I think I smell burning eyeball." The nurse said "oh, the machine just makes a burning smell..." but the doctor cut her off "we tell people that to make them calm but since you guessed it, yeah it's eyeball."

When I was a teen with braces, the inside of my bottom lip grew around some screws I’d had placed in my jaw, and they had to laser it off… so yeah, I’m familiar with the smell of your own flesh burning.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
The Blood Egg Part 2 Nice fight scene.

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I guess Kevin's into cock and ball torture.

flying a little too close to the Far Side sun with that Mom Quixote look

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Flaked on the night shift (:doh:), but you don't get out of Olive & Popeye that easily.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The badgers and mushrooms should have tipped you off.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ronya posted:

did family cars in this period have pick-up-and-move detachable seats?

Most cars, even today can pop the bottom cushion out of (fixed) bench seats. Not all - some have fasteners - but most can be popped out with a well-applied thump.

ronya posted:

Yeah but... how did that work? Wouldn't the seat just slide forward whenever you braked?

no: you kinda wedge the part along the back underneath the upright cushions, push down, then give 'em a slap along the front edge face. There's a cleverly-designed spring/retainer that holds the front down & locked in place. Some cars have releases tat you can feel for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yob7m4CBeo

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Learning that Archie was actually funny once upon a time is maybe the most surprising thing I've experienced in the history of these megathreads.

Retail

Dinette

Popcom

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Darthemed posted:

Learning that Archie was actually funny once upon a time is maybe the most surprising thing I've experienced in the history of these megathreads.

Retail

Why was Grumbles storing PINs?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Maybe I’m missing something, but surely they’re going to have significantly bigger legal problems once it gets out that they’ve been saving their customers’ credit card and PIN details (and more) and THEN got hacked?

I thought that’s the kind of thing stores should never retain…

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Zaroff posted:

Maybe I’m missing something, but surely they’re going to have significantly bigger legal problems once it gets out that they’ve been saving their customers’ credit card and PIN details (and more) and THEN got hacked?

I thought that’s the kind of thing stores should never retain…

well if you want to see what happens read about target doing this in 2014 since thats what the story is based off of!

it basically single handedly got chip cards implemented because basically nearly every card in the us got replaced at once

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Thanks to getting a basal cell off my face a while back, I too know what I smell like when my flesh is burning.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

"That's up to him", they say, as they rush to corner and expose the innocent person that they've been all but stalking the past couple of months.

EasyEW posted:

Flaked on the night shift (:doh:), but you don't get out of Olive & Popeye that easily.

While the proportions are okay, the facial expressions in the Olive side of the comic just seem so visually unappealing? The expressions look like they'd be more at home in an early 2000s webcomic and just clashes with the overall style of Popeye.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 05, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

It's nice to see Freddie the Frog getting some work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwJQ6G7Z_II

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack
Considering what a tech bro simp he is I am honestly surprised the author isn't into crypto.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 17, 1963)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:roflolmao:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Nell Brinkley

quote:

No. 5-THE BILLY OF VIOLET AND DREAMS, AND THE BETTY OF SCARLET

THIS is the Blessed Billy of Violet, and he dreams, dreams all the days. And the dreams he dreams are like the wine-like light that comes through the stained windows of a church and touches the faces and the marble of the floor with romance.

This Billy makes a little of the crinkley green and twinkling gold-enough to buy eatin's, and the things that are comfy to sit in and fine to look upon, and teetering stacks of soft bound books with the glint of gilding upon their backs and the thin edges of their ivory leaves.

And these things, with the blue sky and the singing hills and the sun, are enough for the Billy o' dreams.

Chests of gold coins that he might look in upon are just nothing to this Billy, unless maybe they might make him think of the Forty Thieves that tells a tale between greenbacks on the shelf above his grate.

And Power! Betty Angelface, he flips his long fingers at that and goes a-dreaming.

Lady folk are wonderful to him all the days he lives, but he is a One-woman Man; and it would be very fine and wonderful to be the One Lady of this Blessed Billy.

The Sky's Peace in His Heart.

He is all content. He lifts his face to the sky and smiles always; and his heart seems to hold the sky's quiet and dreaming, and its wise silence and utter peace.

He never tears him along on nervous, worried legs, with his brows scrutched up and his mouth tight. He only smiles and walks in all serenity. Sometimes good things go skipping by, and when this Billy gets to the edge and reaches out his long hand to grip it, it mocks him from blocks away and his hand shuts on sunshine.

The Billy of Purple and gold would shout to the skies and pour ashes on his head, but this Billy reached for it anyway because some other Billy told him it was good-it wasn't a big thing to him. And so he smiles and strolls him away with the sunshine that he shut his hand upon, and forgets.

This Billy's books glint down at him with their rows after rows of gilded backs from all four walls of his place where he blows the thin blue rings above his head and dreams and works. And his hands love the feel of the soft backs of them, and the flutter of the leaves, and the tales they tell. Fairy stories and the romance of knighthood, and the old days and mighty deeds delight his heart as though he might still be a child.

And he grows old with his face still turning often to the sky, and still a dreaming, and in all content.

And the stars tell that for this Billy o' Violet and Dreams is the Betty of scarlet. She is scarlet-in-the-sun. She is a poppy, gay in the wind and the noontime.

She can't walk like any real Lady Betty should walk. She skips and hops on one foot and then the other. She runs, when there is some one thing she must have; and quick!

She is all bright motion, and she tips up her chin and shakes her head when she laughs.

She pouts when the sun goes gray under a cloud, and when it comes all pale gold again she beats her palms one against the other and sings, "Oh, ho! I am the very happiest one in all the world!"

She is changeable as the wind and the sea. She loves all life, in no content and peace, but wildly, with singing and tears and laughter.

She would love all the books of Billy because he liked them so; but for her own self-Oh, ho! Only the ones whose tales pleased her. The others she would pull up her soft shoulders to her ears at!

Might Make Him Hurry, Sometimes.

She would tease this Billy into tempers and then laugh at him. She would excite and chatter him into sometimes hurrying with all his serene feet. She would lure him away from his dreaming and his ivory-leaved books so that he would learn to laugh with all the Billys and the Bettys that this Scarlet Betty of his of the gay heart would-beguile around her.

And if he would not come she would beg, perhaps, with curls and kisses and patting hands; and some other times she would call him a beast and grab his book away from him and jam it in its place, with a shake of her fist at it, and hustle him away by the sleeve to laugh and do the thing she wanted him to do.

For the Billy o' Dreams and Violet there is the Betty of Scarlet-the changeable Betty of the wind and the sea; or she would save him from dreaming himself into a grub, and perhaps she would teach him to laugh and catch a car, sometimes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Comics Strips 2024: She's Street-Rat adjacent!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Comics 2024: She's..

Argh, beaten!

Olive and Popeye: Phones don't work, phones work, phones don't work... ok, ok, this time phones work.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mexikid is so amazing.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Poil posted:

Considering what a tech bro simp he is I am honestly surprised the author isn't into crypto.
I am a hater but I am a fair hater: he's not a techbro simp, he's an Internet of Things shill, the man at least actively displays a belief in tech proliferation for positive reasons.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/17/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/20/1994)

Ziggy

(12/16/1971)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/7/04

Nose-Tweaking Fetish Comics 3/2-4/53

Smokey Stover 5/28/61

Everyday Movies 10/27/37

"I'm so glad. I think the cook likes me."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/30 - 9/1/43

Closer Than We Think! 5/28/61

Radebaugh foresees ELIZA. And dig that befuddled beatnik.

Alan T. Waterman was a physicist, not a psychologist, so believing psychological problems could be solved by computer seems fitting.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 9, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Not knowing what you're doing can often last long after you've finished college.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Oh no, I've related to two Pluggers in a row. I can feel myself aging with each knowing nod of agreement.

The_Other posted:

The Blood Egg Part 2 Nice fight scene.

Good news (tinged with bad) on the JA front after the Blood Egg fiasco:

We're going back to Lottie and Claire's young adult adventures, but the return of Solver is a full month away.

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

This Kid's Kind of a Brat, Huh

But She's Not the Worst Kid In the Funny Pages

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Years ago I had a giant plantar wart on my foot lasered, so I too know what burning human flesh smells like. Also it was excruciatingly painful despite the anesthesia!

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Some friends of mine have trained their dog to jingle some bells at the back door if he needs to go out (which is just modified scratching). It seems way more preferable than barking.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Petey is my spirit animal, succeeded by Spud.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

JethroMcB posted:

Oh no, I've related to two Pluggers in a row. I can feel myself aging with each knowing nod of agreement.

Ask not for whom the Plugger plugs; it plugs for thee.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Poil posted:

I assuming they were mostly on board with crypto until it became a universal punchline like Nickelback. I'd give them more credit if the comic came out years ago.

Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Not knowing what you're doing can often last long after you've finished college.

Yes, it can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

is street-rat adjacent a better reputation than roadside