Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I really like Demeter + Omega Cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
OH BOY I just met a special NPC after going upstairs a few times!

Heracles! And he's a dick! :neckbeard:

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

kaleedity posted:

There's an axe omega move daddy hammer that frees up your actions while the whirlwind is going off, so you can dash around and do other poo poo while doing full omega attack damage it owns

I've seen that, but didn't assume you also had normal mobility. That rocks.

AParadox posted:

You can quit mid run and continue after if that's what you're asking, game saves after every completed encounter.

Oh wow, that's really good to know. I was only focusing on the "Give Up" option I guess.

A weird thing with "Give Up" is that (at least what I can gather from the warning that pops up) it doesn't save any gains that run, so if I jump in just to farm one item I then have to let myself get killed. That only hurts my ego, though.

e: Another question on first boss past the ward: It seems like part of the boss is managing him hearing you, since he's blind, but I'm not totally sure what triggers it. Attacking does, and I think dashing and running. Can he not hear you at all from normal movement?

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Skulls omega attacks and specials become insanely strong even if I didn't like the gameplay that much of my two skull runs.

My first was hept buffs on omega attack and special with the aftershock, using both on a pack would kill everything they hit even in the last floor and then you hid for a while until the cooldowns came up, the safest and most boring build so far, final boss didn't stand a chance either.

The second was a full commit on omega special: apollo + 2 hammer omega special upgrades and some incidental damage buffs gave me a 20 cost mana skill that dealt 1.4 K damage to half of the screen with mobility attached and no cooldown, a complete faceroll of a run.

About Eris debuff she will stop showing up once you've progressed enough and the runs will become much easier

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Small tip for anyone - looking to complete the "Natural Talent" prophecy - this will trigger from the "Trial of Humility" and because the trials don't have minor reward rooms it's actually pretty easy in comparison to doing it in a regular run

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Gamerofthegame posted:

hestia seems like the best right now simply by the nature of it being a no frills no gently caress around here's a lot of steady, reliable damage. particularly for bosses.

only zeus compares and half of his is auto attacks, which why bother when you can attack so quickly

hephaestus is extremely strong with the right build as well due to procs but i just havent gotten the right combo for clearing.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I like Apollo but I'm favoring the Axe. Big damage percent boost on a big base damage weapon with big made bigger area of affect. Get the right hammer boons and you can swat people for over 1k.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

fart barterer posted:

I'm finding there's a bit of extra movement with all the weapons based around dodging mid-combo. Most weapons with a big final attack let you dash just before it, and the torches have decent mobility while firing.

The final combo attack not being cancel-able with a dodge has put me in a lot of bad spots when using the axe. I'll be almost done with a combo, get the danger sense and dodge away only for the final attack to play out with full animation lock after I've reached my destination after dodging. It makes the axe a pain to use, since I love dodging.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cactrot posted:

The final combo attack not being cancel-able with a dodge has put me in a lot of bad spots when using the axe. I'll be almost done with a combo, get the danger sense and dodge away only for the final attack to play out with full animation lock after I've reached my destination after dodging. It makes the axe a pain to use, since I love dodging.

On the other hand, I enjoy being able to reposition the axe mid combo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

when/where does bronze show up, i've been through all 4 floors a couple times and haven't seen it yet

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

when/where does bronze show up, i've been through all 4 floors a couple times and haven't seen it yet

It shows up past the wards.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

well, arse. thought for some reason that i was meant to wait on that until after i got a win :doh:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Hellioning posted:

On the other hand, I enjoy being able to reposition the axe mid combo.

Yeah it is cool, but if my intention is to dash into a sprint to avoid an AOE, I'm probably eating that AOE while I'm locked.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The axe dash thing comes in really handy for the hammer upgrade where you only do the final hit of the combo as your normal attack. You can start up your attack, dart in with dash just before it finishes, then run back out before the enemy you just clobbered can do anything

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Cactrot posted:

Same, I swear the way this worked in Hades 1 with Arthur is that you can dodge cancel the swing and the big attack doesn't come out until you hit the attack button again...

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
Just finished everything (I think) the EA has to offer. Beaten the boss of area 4, and beaten the boss of the second area past the wards.

Did most of my runs with the torches, but funnily enough, all of my victories have been with the starting staff.

Great game, can't wait for more.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Second clear I did with an ice attack build with the daggers. I totally hosed up and picked an anvil right before that dropped the attack spam ability so the build I went with was worse than what I originally had. Coincidentally my second clear was the attempt right after my first.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Does the Queen arcana (bonus duo chance, activates from having at most 2 caards with the same cost active) block you from the no-arcana prophecy? If so, is there any way to turn all cards off if you have it? e: just tested it, it doesn't count fortunately.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 8, 2024

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Oh man there's no way that the cat just a straight up extra DD. They're gonna have to make the others reallllly appealing to use to make up for that

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

kaleedity posted:

which boon is that? I'm talking about the time slow charge card. It's a hex?

with the time slow charge card if your primary damage comes from base charge time moves you're right hosed unless you know his whole move set and phases

Not... really? I got him to half health on the first try almost exclusively with omega attack.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

kaleedity posted:

which boon is that? I'm talking about the time slow charge card. It's a hex?

with the time slow charge card if your primary damage comes from base charge time moves you're right hosed unless you know his whole move set and phases
Oh I didnt even realize that was happening wtf. I guess this is how the game gets you to turn that thing off (which makes sense because it gets boring run after run). Pretty nuanced game design there I'm impressed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Starting to get a hang of the final boss's moveset but I still haven't beaten him and I think I've finally realized why of course the Titan of Time obviously ignores your slowdown effects while channeling - like duh - but the problem is there are a lot of movesets where you build around the slow feature and can kick the rear end of 99% of the run until suddenly oops no good anymore. I had what I thought was a phenomenal axe build going but it relied on the omega attack and Chronos just does not give you the time to charge it up.

I just unlocked aspects, there are a couple which from the description I have some build ideas for so hopefully this helps me break through the wall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sydin posted:

Starting to get a hang of the final boss's moveset but I still haven't beaten him and I think I've finally realized why of course the Titan of Time obviously ignores your slowdown effects while channeling - like duh - but the problem is there are a lot of movesets where you build around the slow feature and can kick the rear end of 99% of the run until suddenly oops no good anymore. I had what I thought was a phenomenal axe build going but it relied on the omega attack and Chronos just does not give you the time to charge it up.

I just unlocked aspects, there are a couple which from the description I have some build ideas for so hopefully this helps me break through the wall.

You absolutely have plenty of time to charge up Omega Attacks even without time slow. For the axe you might not get to maximum charge every time but you can get darn close. It just involves not trying to charge in the middle of his strike zone.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Panfilo posted:

Was she the blacksmith in the Madalorian? Because her voice reminds me of it.
"Death to Chronos"
"This is the way"

I'm not sure, but she's the narrator in Baldur's Gate 3

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

AParadox posted:

You can quit mid run and continue after if that's what you're asking, game saves after every completed encounter.

oh poo poo didn't realize that. i'm good then!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I've seen a couple references to "trash" boons and I don't really get it. It's harder to build towards specific stacking combinations with early game lack of rerolls and given the larger pool of things available to enhance. But most boons seem fine? Maybe somebody can articulate it better but certainly it's not the same stable of boons as Hades 1 and while I might be missing something I feel like if you approach it the same way you're going to be underwhelmed.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Are your first 2 poms better in this game? I always dodged them in hades 1 but the early ones feel a lot better (though they do fall off very hard after 2 or 3 of them).

Mendrian posted:

I've seen a couple references to "trash" boons and I don't really get it. It's harder to build towards specific stacking combinations with early game lack of rerolls and given the larger pool of things available to enhance. But most boons seem fine? Maybe somebody can articulate it better but certainly it's not the same stable of boons as Hades 1 and while I might be missing something I feel like if you approach it the same way you're going to be underwhelmed.
My solution? start demeter trinket.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

Are your first 2 poms better in this game? I always dodged them in hades 1 but the early ones feel a lot better (though they do fall off very hard after 2 or 3 of them).

My solution? start demeter trinket.

The first 2 poms per boon do seem to offer significantly higher benefits than later ones, especially on higher rarities.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/SupergiantGames/status/1788265195254718583

Hey, we are actively working on a Mac version of Hades II, and expect to release it during our Early Access development!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:toot:

The skull kicks so much rear end, love how it feels once you get in rhythm with the attack and special. Special shoutout to Apollo's cast boon for letting me stack a ton of fire and forget damage as well, absolutely saved the run. Also :lol::lol::lol: at the most damage suffered section, thinking I'm gonna have to learn how to fight them a bit better still!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mendrian posted:

Maybe somebody can articulate it better but certainly it's not the same stable of boons as Hades 1 and while I might be missing something I feel like if you approach it the same way you're going to be underwhelmed.

That's pretty much it. Instead of trying to decide between multiple good options I'm trying to figure out which one is the least useless. They're all things that will likely be tuned, or suddenly become good when aspects happen, or both. Great picks that make a run are always more fun than an incremental buff that may/may not apply.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mailer posted:

That's pretty much it. Instead of trying to decide between multiple good options I'm trying to figure out which one is the least useless. They're all things that will likely be tuned, or suddenly become good when aspects happen, or both. Great picks that make a run are always more fun than an incremental buff that may/may not apply.

What Boons are useless? Like half of them give like 50% to damage even before other effects

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
A big part of the Hades 1 learning curve was learning good boon selection, I don't doubt it'd be the same here

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The torches kind of suck by default, but man they get crazy with the right builds. I got boons that add three different on hit damage effects, plus an infusion that made every instance of damage do a minimum of thirty damage. So every hit did a minimum of 120 damage. I ended up beating the area 2 boss for the first time and got all the way to the boss of area 4, and got them down to half health. Pretty good run.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

What Boons are useless? Like half of them give like 50% to damage even before other effects

A lot of the duos feel pretty bad. All the elemental ones that take 5 of an element to proc - those almost never happen without metaupgrade help. Hephaestus foes can't knock you away boon that comes with a bit of armor. Hephaestus deal more damage if you get hit during the attack. Poseidon gain more meta rewards. Poseidon spirit bubble. There's a bunch. I would rank all the boons that increase magic regen as well because the card feels mandatory and with it your magic regen is already really good.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Chronos ignoring slowdown is fine, but mocking you for trying to control time if you try to pause and unpausing the game is pretty obnoxious. In hindsight I assume I could have opened steam overlay, but I didn't think of that.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Mailer posted:

It's a question of which combo you are building toward. The health boons (avoidance, dodge, hp healing) are of course reasonably good support, but the attack boons require some degree of stacking. Although almost all gods have a specific kind of build for certain weapons. It's to counter people like me who were able in Hades 1 to immediately 30-33 heat in a cheap way just by forcing a specific set of boons every drat time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Staltran posted:

Chronos ignoring slowdown is fine, but mocking you for trying to control time if you try to pause and unpausing the game is pretty obnoxious. In hindsight I assume I could have opened steam overlay, but I didn't think of that.

Yeah, this can be a fun trick when a game does it, but it only really works when pausing has a gameplay benefit. Like there's a boss challenge in Lobotomy Corporation that disables your pause, but that's a management game where you can give orders while paused, so it's both meaningful to forbid and you're likely to discover it during gameplay. Unless someone tells you about Chronos you're only going to see him do it if you actually do need to put the game down for a minute.

All the worse for being the fight at the end of a run, so you're going to lose the last twenty minutes or so if the phone rings or something.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Ha Eris has yet to bother me with more than littering...

Because I am bad at this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I feel like I've really hit a wall on both routes, one with Chronos and the other with Eris. They both feel like they hugely punish the smallest slip ups in a frustrating way. I've had full DD rosters get completely wiped in a cascade from both of them.