Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Managed to play my first hand over 1 million points just now. It's all thanks to you folks' earlier advice on how to make big plays after I beat the decks. En-special-ize cards/open packs, duplicate the cards, ping em as many times as you can in one hand. Bingo!

:nyan:

Learning is fun! Thanks goons!

edit:

https://i.imgur.com/x0CGkZy.mp4

Whee! :woop:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
What does new discoveries refer to in the after action report?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

What does new discoveries refer to in the after action report?

Number of cards you got for the first time in that run.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

RBA Starblade posted:

Gros Michel being a 1/6 chance to break now is killing me lol

Where's my good banana :negative:

Would something like a 1/2 chance to break after a boss blind be better than what we have now? Gives you a bit more consistency in both directions: buy it after the small blind and it will for sure make it to the boss, but there's also a much smaller chance of it lasting forever. Accounting for skips it's on average not going to live so long.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Can't believe it took this long for Pareidolia to be owned while facing a face cards face down (or a face cards debuff! But that hasn't happened to me yet) boss :v: Cost me the run. I really should've noticed though

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Man, I think I'm finally gonna win a run with plasma deck, I can definitely clear two hundred-

.....thousand.

EDIT: and then i fail to even clear 200,000 for an entirely different reason, because I draw like absolutely poo poo :shepface:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 8, 2024

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Got a new gaming laptop, so obviously the first game I try on it is Balatro - the Nvidia thingymabob told me when I closed the game I reached 700fps which is pretty good

:edit: my lord on a 240hz screen this is absolute premium Balatro

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Finally unlocked the final deck, barely managing to scrape by the final Boss Blind in a total squeaker. Last hand put me just 20k or so over the required chips, but I did it!

Now to keep playing every day forever.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Fun abandoned deck run from last night.

Started with poly Madness, soon got Arrowhead and then had to scrape by with those two until Ante 5 where I got Scholar and Even Steven. Finally got Wrathful to round it off. I had a ton of spade As and 10s by the end of the run and was playing 4oak, 5oak, flush house and flush five.

Had another run that I didn't take a pic of that started with a poly Seance on abandoned deck. I was able to use it a few times to get spectral cards, and I got two Ouija cards and both popped 5s. I had 27 5s by the end of the run.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

El Jeffe posted:

Number of cards you got for the first time in that run.

Like a standard card with a unique combination of modifications would count for this?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

Like a standard card with a unique combination of modifications would count for this?

I believe it's jokers/vouchers/tarots/spectrals/planets/modifiers, any that you haven't grabbed before

standard cards don't count

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Relyssa posted:

I believe it's jokers/vouchers/tarots/spectrals/planets/modifiers, any that you haven't grabbed before

standard cards don't count

Interesting, I have over 100 hours but get multiple new discoveries each game. I feel like I would notice if I got new stuff, like the jokers say not discovered if you unlocked them but haven't used them yet.

I don't think I'm grabbing stuff I've never grabbed before but I guess I must be

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

Interesting, I have over 100 hours but get multiple new discoveries each game. I feel like I would notice if I got new stuff, like the jokers say not discovered if you unlocked them but haven't used them yet.

I don't think I'm grabbing stuff I've never grabbed before but I guess I must be

huh, maybe I'm mistaken then but I could've sworn that was it. I don't really pay attention to that counter so I haven't looked too closely

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

A Strange Aeon posted:

Could it be getting a new sticker on the joker?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This was a nice pull during the Medusa challenge.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Color Printer posted:

Man, I think I'm finally gonna win a run with plasma deck, I can definitely clear two hundred-

.....thousand.

EDIT: and then i fail to even clear 200,000 for an entirely different reason, because I draw like absolutely poo poo :shepface:

Gold sticker on plasma was frustrating. Eventually got it with a copied Bull, Money Tree and Chicot turning off the bosses.
I know, you're meant to switch to xMult in plasma but I've found that plasma mid game, trying to transition from all-in on chips to getting the xMult going is one of the more awkward things to get right in Balatro, and I'm glad to go back to playing 'normally'.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

canyoneer posted:

Could it be getting a new sticker on the joker?

I'm pretty sure it is

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like I am slamming my head into the wall with Purple Stake, I'm not really thrilled that there are two more difficulty levels above this one

Basically I am finding that if you don't have a strong XMult Joker by about Ante 4 you are going to lose no matter what.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Yeah I got lucky with my first purple stake clear with checkered. Early castle, supernova, card sharp, and acrobat got me there.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
me: nice try, The Water. I have a banner, I don't even use discards anyhow :smug:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
All cards are treated as face cards. Yay!

All face cards are dealt upside down.

gently caress.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chadzok posted:

Gold sticker on plasma was frustrating. Eventually got it with a copied Bull, Money Tree and Chicot turning off the bosses.
I know, you're meant to switch to xMult in plasma but I've found that plasma mid game, trying to transition from all-in on chips to getting the xMult going is one of the more awkward things to get right in Balatro, and I'm glad to go back to playing 'normally'.

Yeah I don't like pivoting in plasma, I feel like it sucks to play but big chips are the most fun way to do it.

I've been redoing the tougher deck gold stakes while watching playoff hockey and Violet Vessel was a nightmare with that one. Big ups to Mr. Bones for saving this dumbass run.

Also I forget who was talking about it a few days ago but testing them out, on gold stake Green Deck is still way better than Black Deck, I just redid those back to back and Black was way nastier.

I rerolled Violet Vessel into Crimson Heart but got super lucky in getting a reroll skip on the big blind which let me turn it into Verdant Leaf where I could sell my Burglar. (Also, I could get a negative satellite giving me $9 per round, but I couldn't find a non-perishable chip joker better than a foil 8 Ball)

E: My only other plasma deck clear on gold was a bigass Wee Joker, a Brainstorm, a Square Joker, a foil Spare Trousers, a Fibonacci, and a negative Seance

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

You're a silly goose, Anaglyph

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

This is one I'd been wanting to do for a while. Oops All Sixes, Lucky Cat and a buttload of Lucky Cards. The Hanging Chad making the Lucky Cards trigger a buncha times is a fun. Just a unique, goofy power fantasy I'd never been able to get going, finally got it. Yay.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I've been intentionally avoiding unlock conditions outside the title screen and LOL this one is awesome. Love unlockables in games that are gained by doing weird, unintuitive things. Favorite unlock? It's always a fun surprise when I somehow didn't ever play a hand type and get rewarded.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MJeff posted:

This is one I'd been wanting to do for a while. Oops All Sixes, Lucky Cat and a buttload of Lucky Cards. The Hanging Chad making the Lucky Cards trigger a buncha times is a fun. Just a unique, goofy power fantasy I'd never been able to get going, finally got it. Yay.

Never tried to pump lucky cards before, that's dope, seems like a fun way to end up with mountains of dosh :homebrew:

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Popete posted:

At this point I'm surprised you'd even get a non stone card in your hand

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Popete posted:

I got that in the first store in that challenge as well, I think it was around 1000 when I beat it.

About half the challenges down, when do they start getting hard?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

CJacobs posted:

I've been intentionally avoiding unlock conditions outside the title screen and LOL this one is awesome. Love unlockables in games that are gained by doing weird, unintuitive things. Favorite unlock? It's always a fun surprise when I somehow didn't ever play a hand type and get rewarded.

I was going to say just get this while playing Golden Ticket (Played Gold cards earn $4 when scored) but this is what unlocks it! :)

I also found a possible bug: Bootstraps (+2 Mult for every $5 you have) doesn't update as you gain funds mid-round.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Discarding a royal flush for Brainstorm and playing four 7 of clubs in the same hand for Seeing Double are fun ones. Playing a full game without a pair is a cool mechanic and I think I unlocked that one (and all the ones that weren't flush) without explicitly going for it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Discarding a royal flush isn't that hard with a bit of scumming early game

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I've discarded a royal flush on chequered deck ante 2 just to pump the bus because public transport is vital to a thriving society

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

MJeff posted:

Yeah, I've done that a few times myself. It's a very solid strat now that Hanging Chad triggers twice and Magician lets you enhance 2 cards instead of just one.

Feldegast42 posted:

You don't even need to save-scum, just buy one of the suit changing tarot cards and use it at the right time.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

It’s not hard, but it’s never something I’d have thought to do if it wasn’t on the unlock page and it was satisfying when it happened. That wasn’t sarcasm, I really like that one!

Really, the lovely one was the steam achievement for a 5 wild card flush, I had a few white stake runs explicitly just going for that before it lined up.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I still don't believe I got the "Discard 5 Jacks" one. I think I have had 5 of every other rank, but never jacks.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I'm not ashamed to admit I repeatedly refreshed the erratic deck to get the jack and 7♣ jokers unlocked.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
this run is going places

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Tonetta posted:

this run is going places

x1 mult added on every round, nice.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Can the Certificate Joker be Blueprinted/Brainstormed? Because then it'd be 4 cards at the beginning of every ante so +4× mult every round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Scholtz posted:

Can the Certificate Joker be Blueprinted/Brainstormed? Because then it'd be 4 cards at the beginning of every ante so +4× mult every round

yes. screenshot was taken after a play so I hadn't swapped them back yet.