Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Twixt is really bad and amateurish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I was being a snob earlier in this thread and turning my nose up at people posting video game trailers, but I'm going to be a hypocrite and post one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHe2lwDRFRM

The game is good not great, but I thought the trailer was awesome. Also, it's one of the first games with a "directed by" credit where it actually feels earned (tbf I don't play a lot of modern AAA games). Not sure if the Unreal engine has some nifty tools for doing realistic depth of field and narrow FOV and stuff, but it looks very cinematic.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

I was being a snob earlier in this thread and turning my nose up at people posting video game trailers, but
OH NOOOOO

Well two can play this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUmG0Ckx92c
Definitely art

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Punkin Spunkin posted:

OH NOOOOO

Definitely art

Pure Kino

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Definitely art

This was a gift, I thank you.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
As long as we're doing game trailers, let's link it back to movies. Here's the only thing John McTiernan has directed since 2003's Basic (and going to prison)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2On9gv3C_iI

Not bad. Let Johnny cook

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

My favorite video game trailers are the faction trailers for Total Warhammer 3. They all sound like propaganda but each is appropriate for their factions. Khorne's narration has the tone of a military recruitment video. Nurgle's is jovial. Tzeentch's narrator appropriately sounds like fellow eldritch abomination G-man from Half-Life. Slaneesh's trailer starts with the word "come" and sounds like they're edging the whole time. Grand Cathay starts with a stereotypical dignified Asian but gets more excited as it goes on. Kislev (which has an authentic natural-sounding Russian accent) is just pleading for you to defend the motherland. Also the ogres are probably angry about the latest EPL match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqnN3Nry2xw

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

confused posted:

How is it that there are three movies directed by Coppala that I have never heard of? Are Youth Without Youth, Tetro and Twixt bad?

Twixt is legitimately one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

confused posted:

How is it that there are three movies directed by Coppala that I have never heard of? Are Youth Without Youth, Tetro and Twixt bad?

yes

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm27YjLnPHc

Huge fan of the first. (I think it has one of the most underrated soundtracks ever) I hope it's good.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Tim Whatley posted:

Huge fan of the first. (I think it has one of the most underrated soundtracks ever) I hope it's good.

lol

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Tim Whatley posted:

Well that's a movie I need to see in a theater.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I had the pleasure of seeing Twister at a drive-in last summer. The scene where the tornado rips through the drive-in was just awesome in that setting. Movies rock.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I said it after the first trailer, but that def just nails the visual language of the first one especially the driving stuff. I'm hyped for it. But that trailer DEFINITELY gives away a lot of the big set pieces. Avoid avoid avoid.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shot on film too I think they’re going about this as well as they could hope for.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Regret watching as much of that trailer as I did. The first trailer sold me, and this one gives away more than it should.

Avoid if you're already on board.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thrawn527 posted:

Well that's a movie I need to see in a theater.

For a second I thought you were kiimo, trying to juice ticket sales.

"Well that's a movie I need to see in a theater." [puts on a fake woman's voice] "Oh my, I can't wait to watch this on its release weekend!" [puts on a burly deep voice] "C'mon friends, let's boost those domestic box office sales to get more movies like this!"

How do you fail the trolley problem so bad that YOU end up in front of it

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I still don't understand how the plan in the first movie was to send a bunch of razor-sharp pepsi cans into a tornado. Why not just throw in a thousand shurikens while you're at it?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tim Whatley posted:

I find Twisters to be super fascinating because.... who asked for this? Like, sure, a lot of people (myself included) like Twister, but like who is saying "Booooy that needs a sequel!!!"

And Twister, while sure it is a disaster movie, it always felt like that movie was fairly grounded in the story. This one... does not feel that way.

Also - I don't care for Glen Powell. I don't know what it is about him, he's just... so bland to me.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I disagree. Hollywood is scrambling for the next big thing now that comic book movies have overstayed their welcome. I say bring back the 90s disaster movie genre- asteroids, volcanos, tornadoes, out of control cruise ships, let's loving go

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jewmanji posted:

I disagree. Hollywood is scrambling for the next big thing now that comic book movies have overstayed their welcome. I say bring back the 90s disaster movie genre- asteroids, volcanos, tornadoes, out of control cruise ships, let's loving go

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with disaster movies. They loving rule. I just don't think Twister specifically needed a sequel. It just feels weird.

Look forward to Armageddons in 2026

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Top Gun didn’t need a sequel either but god drat I’m glad we got one.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with disaster movies. They loving rule. I just don't think Twister specifically needed a sequel. It just feels weird.

Look forward to Armageddons in 2026

Liv Tyler going to space to kill a giant asteroid and avenge the death of her father.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jewmanji posted:

Liv Tyler going to space to kill a giant asteroid and avenge the death of her father.

Hell yeah, let's blast some Aerosmith and get some space dementia!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not sure Youth Without Youth is actually bad but I'm too scared to find out.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Okay I'm back in.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Mordiceius posted:

I find Twisters to be super fascinating because.... who asked for this? Like, sure, a lot of people (myself included) like Twister, but like who is saying "Booooy that needs a sequel!!!"

I dunno if you live in the US or not but there are currently a ton of tornadoes and they will only get more frequent and worse due to climate change. Its the Time of the Twister, may as well make a movie about it!!!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jerkface posted:

I dunno if you live in the US or not but there are currently a ton of tornadoes and they will only get more frequent and worse due to climate change. Its the Time of the Twister, may as well make a movie about it!!!

This was going to be my point as well. Tornadoes are in our face more than ever so might as well capitalize on it! Although I will say that I agree with his original point of this seemingly less story based but that's fine. The chemistry of that all star cast in the original should probably just not be a bar to try to replicate.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDr7aPIpm_8

Still looks cheap somehow. And the CGI is quite noticeable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah it's really bizarre because they built all those cars for real and it was shot in the Outback and it still looks fake? I really don't get it.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Just looks like absolute trash.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I trust George Miller and I will moviepass it, and I know it's unfair to compare to the absolutely unbelievable Fury Road trailers, but gently caress every single trailer for this movie just makes me go :geno:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lobok posted:

For a second I thought you were kiimo, trying to juice ticket sales.

"Well that's a movie I need to see in a theater." [puts on a fake woman's voice] "Oh my, I can't wait to watch this on its release weekend!" [puts on a burly deep voice] "C'mon friends, let's boost those domestic box office sales to get more movies like this!"

How do you fail the trolley problem so bad that YOU end up in front of it

I'm not on this one and it's a joint film with WB.

I wish I was though, I think everyone is gonna be IN. That said, we are not showing this trailer in Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma right now.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

CGI was 'noticeable' in the Fury Road trailer too, I'm not really seeing anything egregiously bad in that. Maybe my eyes just aren't what they used to be? Looks fun as hell.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Its not even just the CGI for me, maybe it's just the fact that Fury Road is a hell of an act to follow but this poo poo really doesn't enthuse me at all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Its not even just the CGI for me, maybe it's just the fact that Fury Road is a hell of an act to follow but this poo poo really doesn't enthuse me at all.

I'm on the opposite side of the coin. Fury Road gives him a blank check for the series movie forward. I've been up and down on the series on a whole (1 is okay but not great, 2 is amazing, Thunderdome is...off), but I'm in on whatever the follow up is, because he's clearly still got it.

I'm not watching the above trailer because I don't want to see anything else until the movie comes out. I will say that third image posted above is a bit wtf.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I guess part of it is that it's just like "hey you liked Fury Road? Here's more Fury Road except it looks 60% worse"
Again, that's the nature of a sequel to an incredibly dope film but it is what it is.

I'm glad he got his blank check and I'll gently caress with whatever he's got coming though. Dude is old as gently caress and I hope he makes a bunch more movies. I liked the genie movie he did. :shrug:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I feel like I'm on a different planet than the folks in this thread, I'm pumped as hell for Furiosa and don't understand not being pumped if you were a fan of Fury Road

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I feel like I'm on a different planet than the folks in this thread, I'm pumped as hell for Furiosa and don't understand not being pumped if you were a fan of Fury Road

Because Fury Road looked beautiful and had amazing practical stunts and this appears to be 95% bad CGI?

Like the van being pushed off the cliff, without irony, looks like a Playstation 1 FMV. It is unbelievably bad for any major motion film, let alone a followup to Fury Road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

but I'm in on whatever the follow up is, because he's clearly still got it.

Me right before watching Wes Craven's Cursed