Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I really liked Killjoys, but I can't forgive them from going from a really kickass theme song to "whoo hooooo.... whoo hooooo.... whoo hooo whoo hooooo"

I can't forgive them for the dogshit finale where everyone gets a happy ending, including both villains. gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Any finale is better than a cliffhanger I don't give a poo poo if it's not the ending I envisioned.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

GreenNight posted:

Any finale is better than a cliffhanger I don't give a poo poo if it's not the ending I envisioned.

I suppose, but (not knowing the finale being talked about) there are some truly terrible finales. I find finales fascinating. How TV shows choose to wrap up years of storytelling.

Actually, what are some of the best and worst finales? Not counting where they were cancelled, like Alf and Quantum Leap. I know the cliche answer for worst is Seinfeld, since it was largely a clip show. And that's true. I also think How I Met Your Mother is terrible, because it basically says, "Ignore the premise of the show and literal title, she died, anyway, how about Robin, right?"

I tend to like Michael Schur finales. They feel more like a victory lap, where everything is already largely wrapped up, and we're seeing a P.S. on the series. Parks and Rec was definitely this, and I just finished The Good Place and it felt similar.

Does Sopranos count as a cliffhanger? I appreciate the sheer audacity of it.

Oh, of course, Six Feet Under is probably the undisputed champion.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Game of Thrones has to be up there on the worst finales of all time list.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just saw American Gods season 3 ending last night, cliffhanger and unsatisfying. Edit: oh but it's cancelled so doesn't count for this my bad.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
12 Monkeys, Halt And Catch Fire, The Americans, Mr Robot, all have fantastic finales.

Coincidentally these are 4 of my favorite shows ever!

I'm OK with how BSG and LOST ended too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

isaboo posted:

I'm OK with how BSG and LOST ended too.

I am, too. They got weird, and I liked it, because those shows were always weird, so I don't know what people were expecting.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I expected them to at least start building the goddamn Battle Star. Star Wars managed to get through 2 in just a few hours.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

thrawn527 posted:

Does Sopranos count as a cliffhanger? I appreciate the sheer audacity of it.

I didn't even like The Sopranos much, and I think that last scene is just amazing.

The first Futurama finale was really good, I just wish there weren't like 4 of them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

thrawn527 posted:

I also think How I Met Your Mother is terrible, because it basically says, "Ignore the premise of the show and literal title, she died, anyway, how about Robin, right?"

There's the bones of a good story in the himym finale about dealing with loss and moving on, it's just that story was not the story the show had been telling for the majority of the run of the show. Plus it certainly didn't help that Milioti was so good as Tracy on top of all the accumulated Ted and Robin baggage. Which leads to the uncharitable read that Tracy only existed to give Ted his kids and remove the big friction in his relationship with Robin.

Which, come to think of it, isn't too dissimilar from how they handled Barney. "Oh he got some lady knocked up, who was she? Doesn't matter. The important thing is he loves his daughter, and that's why he's no longer a dirtbag"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

howe_sam posted:

There's the bones of a good story in the himym finale about dealing with loss and moving on, it's just that story was not the story the show had been telling for the majority of the run of the show. Plus it certainly didn't help that Milioti was so good as Tracy on top of all the accumulated Ted and Robin baggage. Which leads to the uncharitable read that Tracy only existed to give Ted his kids and remove the big friction in his relationship with Robin.

Yeah, that also could have been a decent story arc told over several episodes at the very least, not a brief mention before the kids are all, "You should totally go bang Aunt Robin!"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HIMYM is one of those shows that's blasted for a terrible finale that actually deserves it because it's so bad that retroactively makes the series almost unrewatchable.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Farscape has one of the most satisfying endings in all TV

E: Regaeding the end of the actual original run after having maybe one of the worst most audience hating series endings

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, that also could have been a decent story arc told over several episodes at the very least, not a brief mention before the kids are all, "You should totally go bang Aunt Robin!"

I completely agree. Which, btw, is why the alternate ending is the real ending of himym
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5toL5HmQl8I

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Chairman Capone posted:

First off, Samantha would never do anything with Mr. Big. :colbert:

Second, Mr. Big (Chris Noth) was already a regular on multiple Law and Order series!

lol i took a swing and a miss, i never saw any of the show and went on what names I could remember

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

X-O posted:

HIMYM is one of those shows that's blasted for a terrible finale that actually deserves it because it's so bad that retroactively makes the series almost unrewatchable.

Absolutely, but randomly "Let's go to the Mall" popped into my head today and the whole Robin Sparkles arc was an all time sitcom great.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

swickles posted:

Absolutely, but randomly "Let's go to the Mall" popped into my head today and the whole Robin Sparkles arc was an all time sitcom great.

"It's Robin Sparkles 3, y'all!" is one of the most exciting things I've ever heard on a show.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Shageletic posted:

E: Regaeding the end of the actual original run after having maybe one of the worst most audience hating series endings

I still haven't finished Farscape after starting it for the first time a few years ago, because I don't want it end for me :(

I keep starting over because it's so fun and I love it. I've made it to a few episodes into S3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shageletic posted:

"Bad Timing" was traumatizing and the point where I was forever hardened towards series being ended before their time. Nothing can compare since.

That said, I respect the poo poo out of the showrunners for not changing the ending after they got cancelled as it would have been VERY VERY VERY easy to have a happy ending with editing.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 8, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

isaboo posted:

I still haven't finished Farscape after starting it for the first time a few years ago, because I don't want it end for me :(

I keep starting over because it's so fun and I love it. I've made it to a few episodes into S3.

Nice! And glad you got past the first few episodes of S1.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

swickles posted:

And if Robin Sparkles wasn't good enough, it also gave us the Slap Bet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The actual worst TV finale of all time is probably Two and a Half Men but it isn’t mentioned as much on account of the whole show being real bad anyway

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Dinosaurs finale: best, or worst?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/phil_lewis_/status/1788335881427792214

streaming made it to cable bundles

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

isaboo posted:

Best.

Still can't believe they got away with that in the 90s.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just watched the 15 minute OZ-sequel short film and I thought it was pretty dang compelling for two guys just talking on the phone. Admittedly it's been a good 8 years since I rewatched the show but I don't remember the two featured characters having much of a close relationship which the short makes it seem they do. My initial thought was "why are these two talking like this?"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

isaboo posted:

Absolute best. I feel like that show would be largely forgotten if the finale hadn’t traumatized so many kids of my generation.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

Best.

Still can't believe they got away with that in the 90s.

The whole show, really. It's just so disgusted with Americans and it's so thinly veiled, I love it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

First two episodes of Dark Matter are up now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1788284009694335326

Now that is funny

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, if it gives discounts I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with it.

The big thing though is will you really get a discount vs waiting for one of the sales. I think I have a year of MAX right now for 60% of the normal cost or something like that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Goddamn woke libs ruining another comedy

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, it seems pretty obvious that he went on his comedy rant right before this came out because he knew it was poo poo and wanted to deflect responsibility for it not doing well.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have Max (though my cable provider) and Disney+ (also through my cable provider). Will I get Hulu (via my cable provider)?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Let me guess, it somehow costs more than just getting all three separately.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think all the streaming providers should merge to create a new streaming platform called "Kayble" or something

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PriorMarcus posted:

I think the chances of Villeneuve having any further involvement in BR ended when Scott threw him under the bus.

The hell? Why? For making a better BR movie than him?

I did see Villeneuve say he won't ever play in anyone's universe anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

Let me guess, it somehow costs more than just getting all three separately.

It would be super weird if it did since the Hulu/Disney no ads bundle is just $2 more than Hulu no ads by itself.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
https://www.businessinsider.com/japan-yakuza-reduced-to-stealing-pokemon-trading-cards-2024-5

Is this Saito from Tokyo Vice? The age and name lines up as well as being the oyabun of the Sumiyoshi-kai, which is a really similar name to the Chahira-Kai in the TV series.

Article from a few years back about how the gangs in the show got their names: https://screenrant.com/tokyo-vice-tozawa-ishida-chihara-kai-real-explained/

Big McHuge fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6uTlJcSRz5/

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3811450/crystal-lake-update-a24-going-a-different-way-with-the-friday-the-13th-tv-series/

Bryan Fuller has left the Crystal Lake series due to creative differences.

xerxus fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 9, 2024