Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Now, imagine that button just being an ad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

CodfishCartographer posted:

Lately I've noticed youtube automatically putting me on garbage-tier video quality, both in browser across multiple computers and on my phone. For the first few minutes of a video it'll be 1080, but then it'll switch to like 480 or some poo poo. It defaults to Auto quality, which used to just be the highest quality that your internet speed would allow for seamless video - so occasionally you'd get quality dips if your internet was choppy or something, but then it would improve the quality as necessary. I assume most laymen don't give a poo poo about image quality and thus YouTube figures they'll just save money by auto playing poo poo quality. It's extra annoying on mobile cus you need to take an extra step to actually choose the specific video quality you want. I even set my app preference to default to "higher picture quality" and it changed nothing about the behavior, it just now says "Higher Picture Quality (480p)" lmao

Are you using Chrome? I switched to Firefox/Ublock & haven't seen much trouble (although it occasionally takes a couple extra seconds to load videos/pages)

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Combo posted:

Oh this is definitely a thing, and I've had it happen. A kid was lost in the grocery store and I was the only one in that aisle. I just loudly said "oh hey buddy are you lost? Let's go find your mom" and just loudly asking what she looked like, etc until a couple aisles over some older woman thankfully took over for me and help him.

There's really no way to make it not suspicious either bc loudly being like I AM ONLY HELPING THIS CHILD, NOT HURTING OR ABDUCTING THEM just gives off vibes like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YmDcCpD1gc&t=4s

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Philthy posted:

The only way around this stuff these days is to buy one of those $100ish HDMI stick PCs that come with Windows pre-installed. Put on a browser and load it with uBlock. There are apps that can control everything from your phone so you're not sitting there like a dweeb with a keyboard and mouse. You can access all the russian streaming sites and watch whatever you want.
You can adblock your whole network by setting your dns to adguard I paid like $40 for lifetime family account

Pihole

I also have a firewalla gold box that has adblock and also helps with latency and bufferbloat and is a decent hardware firewall.

Or all 3 in tandem with unlock origin.

It even gets some mobile ads in the lovely phone games my wife loves.

Adguard also works on your phone and combined with ublock is practically 100% no ads.

Streaming TV, twitch and YouTube is more of an arms race to bypass the bypassing of adblockers but I've been able to stream movies from movies with commercial services in the past without commercials.

I really hate ads and have been fighting them for 20 years or so now!

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

There's really no way to make it not suspicious either bc loudly being like I AM ONLY HELPING THIS CHILD, NOT HURTING OR ABDUCTING THEM just gives off vibes like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YmDcCpD1gc&t=4s

I'd like to mention that in both of those two events the person hysterically accusing me of being a pedo were parents. The kid who jumped on my shopping cart was just running amok while their parents yelled back and forth over the entire grocery store. Dozens of people stood around looking incredulous but nobody would say anything.

"WHAT KIND OF ICE CREAM DO YOU WANT" (everyone in line starts looking around confused)

(from the bread aisle) "CAN WE GET DRUMSTICKS" (continues for each item)

At some point we just gave up on giving people healthy shame for bad behavior. We don't always need a judge to serve a disorderly conduct. We really can just drag disorderly assholes out of our public spaces and the embarrassment really will stop them from doing it again, like an adult spanking without the hitting.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Atopian posted:

If you want to imagine the future, imagine a camera watching a human finger poised over the "change channel" button, forever.

Slightly unrelated but I work for various media companies and one thing I've said to linear channel people (Like cable providers) is that they let "zap times", the time to change channels, get way high when they transitioned to digital and they never brought them down. This makes their services much less addictive. Like yo so many boomers wasted their entire lives doing this poo poo and you're wondering why their kids aren't doing the same when it takes 1.5 seconds to change the channel?

I was always met with various technical excuses that all have solutions, anyhow I'm not going to wear myself out making the world a shittier place but now the hottest thing in consuming media is scrolling through low zap time short videos.

It's like watching Sears fail to embrace online shopping.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

moist banana bread posted:

At some point we just gave up on giving people healthy shame for bad behavior. We don't always need a judge to serve a disorderly conduct. We really can just drag disorderly assholes out of our public spaces and the embarrassment really will stop them from doing it again, like an adult spanking without the hitting.

for me its more, I live in a place where permitless concealed carry is a favorite past-time, and I'm not in the mood to get any extra holes in me today.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I once got accused of being a pedophile for stopping to take a picture of a cloud. Some woman thought I was taking pictures of her kids.

I showed her the picture of the cloud and she was like "...hmp, WELL!" and stormed away, and all the kids in the neigbourhood kept bringing it up every time they saw me for like another six months.

I was at the time a pretty normal looking afab teenager. I hadn't even shaved all my hair off yet!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Which is stupid because parents/relatives are FAR more likely to be the culprit.

The whole stranger danger thing that was drilled into us as a kid is much more scary than the reality. Friends, family, pastors, etc.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

Nettle Soup posted:

I was at the time a pretty normal looking afab teenager

Just lmao, they saw a rainbow? Maybe some hair dye? It's transparently just the new bigotry.

In other news:

Do you have this skill?

Basic Math

List years of experience (round to a whole number, for example: 2)

If I could put an ascii dickbutt in that field I so would.

quote:

their kids aren't doing the same when it takes 1.5 seconds to change the channel?

Imagine how many video games I could buy for the price of basic cable. Nobody wants to buy your product if they can't even look at prices without signing up. So I went to some random third party page which claims your basic package includes "330 channels" and my brain can't wrap around what you'd even put on 24/7 on 330 channels: 7,920 hours of content per day. Especially considering I grew up in a house where there were 90-some channels but none of the ones we gave a hoot about were included of which there were only like ~6 total anyway, and which specifically stopped doing what we enjoyed about them before I was even old enough to drive. (MTV, Discovery...)

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 8, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

moist banana bread posted:

I'd like to mention that in both of those two events the person hysterically accusing me of being a pedo were parents. The kid who jumped on my shopping cart was just running amok while their parents yelled back and forth over the entire grocery store. Dozens of people stood around looking incredulous but nobody would say anything.

"WHAT KIND OF ICE CREAM DO YOU WANT" (everyone in line starts looking around confused)

(from the bread aisle) "CAN WE GET DRUMSTICKS" (continues for each item)

hence why you get these insane knee jerk reactions of pedophile when you call someone out. That’s just what they learned to make any criticism of them, direct or implied, go away. People like this see their children as mere extensions of their own ego so “get off my cart” is seen as a challenge to them.

Of course if people apply shame to them they’ll just yell louder and probably become violent.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

what kind of vibes are ya’ll folk getting constant pedo accusations giving out? is this a regional thing? can’t say i’ve ever had this kind of interaction with anyone in all of the many perfectly normal interactions i’ve had with children and their parents

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Which is stupid because parents/relatives are FAR more likely to be the culprit.

The whole stranger danger thing that was drilled into us as a kid is much more scary than the reality. Friends, family, pastors, etc.

I was just thinking about how we consider the 80s the height of the stranger danger molester hysteria, but it seems like everyone failed to take into account the amount of kids who were raised in that atmosphere who didn't get the memo it was all bullshit and have brought it into raising their children. They become the Facebook community group leaders and Next Door Karens, with zero irony or reflection on if their level of anxiety is justified or in touch with reality.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The last time I interacted with someone else's kids I was flagged down by two kids who were out in 110 degree heat with no water and one of them was losing their vision and basically couldn't talk. They begged me to call 911, which I did, and I gave them all the water I had on me and moved them to the shade. Of course by the time the ambulance came the kid was basically snapped out of it from the shade and water, but the ambulance had to take him in by policy and called his parents to let them know.

I still wonder if the parents were pissed because I'm sure they got a $1k+ bill and I was on the fence of talking the kid down, giving him water and shade and waiting 5 minutes, but I opted to call 911 right away.

Anyway I dunno where I'm going with this but nobody called me a pedo during the whole thing.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Salt Fish posted:

Anyway I dunno where I'm going with this but nobody called me a pedo during the whole thing.

:thunk:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
in situations like that I imagine the worst circumstances, and then a genie appearing to resolve those circumstance for whatever cost

so for example, if your child died, and a genie said he'd bring him back for 2k, would you do it? yes? then the ambulance ride is a good call, in order to prevent said death. And I'm fairly sure his parents would say yes to that circumstance as well. you called for help to prevent the worst from happening, as you should've - it's only chance it worked out for the best, so don't beat yourself up. You would be having different, even deeper regrets if you had not called the ambulance and then he didn't get better....

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 8, 2024

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Salt Fish posted:

The last time I interacted with someone else's kids I was flagged down by two kids who were out in 110 degree heat with no water and one of them was losing their vision and basically couldn't talk. They begged me to call 911, which I did, and I gave them all the water I had on me and moved them to the shade. Of course by the time the ambulance came the kid was basically snapped out of it from the shade and water, but the ambulance had to take him in by policy and called his parents to let them know.

I still wonder if the parents were pissed because I'm sure they got a $1k+ bill and I was on the fence of talking the kid down, giving him water and shade and waiting 5 minutes, but I opted to call 911 right away.

Its really cool living in America - you absolutely did the right thing because heat stroke can go from scary to death really quick sometimes and its not worth playing games about but the fact that we have to do the mental calculus of "sure i might be dying but I also might go bankrupt and lose my house"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Pretty easy in this case though: the poster wasn't going to be losing their house

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I have on two separate occasions had an accident where I got cut down to the artery and chose to do a makeshift tourniquet and drive myself to the hospital to avoid paying thousands for an ambulance.

The second time I even poured a bunch of vodka on the wound before leaving and the er doctor said that was badass lmbo

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
One time I was 9 and I was walking around on a blazing Summer day and really really hot and dehydrated so I knocked on some random person's door and asked for a glass of water and they went and got me one and I drank it and gave them the glass back thanked them walked away and nothing horrible happened.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

One time I was 9 and I was walking around on a blazing Summer day and really really hot and dehydrated so I knocked on some random person's door and asked for a glass of water and they went and got me one and I drank it and gave them the glass back thanked them walked away and nothing horrible happened.

Clearly some trafficking going on

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
It's a rough chuckle from me every time I think of how my parents told me to stay away from hippies and homeless people because they could be dangerous, but if I got lost to find someone safe like a priest or policeman to get me back to them.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Yeah if a completely trusted authority figure like a priest or a scoutmaster or a coach tells you to do something you should always do it, even if it's something you're not comfortable with

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

TrashMammal posted:

what kind of vibes are ya’ll folk getting constant pedo accusations giving out? is this a regional thing? can’t say i’ve ever had this kind of interaction with anyone in all of the many perfectly normal interactions i’ve had with children and their parents

being any sort of visibly queer or gender nonconforming tends to get people saying poo poo like that

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I also just worked with a guy once who was a little scruffy who was just a magnet for people being assholes to him. Like not just being yelled at for existing near children - he would get like the wildest stories of just say waiting at a stop light in the companys car and the guy in front of him got out of the car to come scream at him and bang on the car and he was just ???

he never knew why that guy was so mad.

I think the most hosed up one was that he was taking photos of sunset at a really big popular local park and some dude walked over and accused him of taking pictures of their kids and was demanding that he give him his SD card or he would destroy the camera. He showed him his cameras history which was wow just sunset photos at the park and the dude just huffed off.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

last summer a kid came up to me while i was washing my car and asked for some water so i gave him a bottle of water i had and he took it and poured some drink powder in it and drank it and left all the garbage on my lawn

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
People who do poo poo like accusing someone randomly of being a pedophile or something are pretty much all the big standard same people that think every person if colour is out to rob them, and every guy wants to fight them, every trans person is sneaking into bathrooms to do whatever, etc etc.

Oh, my kid ran up to you? Clearly you tried to attract them. Oh, you're not white and in a nice store? Clearly you're trying to case the place. And so on. Everyone that isn't strictly "normal like us" is a bad person with bad motives.

None of this is new and has been talked about to death so I dunno why people are shocked it happens.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

“This tea tastes kind of like bitter almonds… and those stuffed animals are quite realistic…”

Tony Jabroni
May 27, 2008
Members of the SA forums got real lovely lol

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tony Jabroni posted:

Members of the SA forums got real lovely lol

Got?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

guess i’m going to count my blessings then, that i live in a liberal utopia where the children seem normal enough and their parents aren’t constantly accusing everyone around them of being redditors

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

TrashMammal posted:

Three total occasions and I'm super sensitive about it because I only recently came out and decided to start titty farming as a hobby.

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 9, 2024

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
Earlier the Netflix I watched was European and when I turned the TV back on it promoted the BBC. Want to say it's correlation but these days idk.

Their algorithms really don't know how to react to me. Why are the guys wearing dresses in ads but not in the catalog 🤔 do I need to shave my balls ? I imagine some dude banging a desk: "Is this a guy and does he have a loving PlayStation or not goddamnit!"

I don't mind ads. Sometimes they're relevant, even local! We've done some fun stuff because I found out about it from an ad.

Most of it is corporations paying rent for existence in our collective headspace. TV commercial style ads are horribly annoying.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I look on all the sophisticated advertising me and my millennial compatriots were bathed in as children as similar to the lead paint and fumes of leaded gasoline that our Boomer forbears were exposed to, with similar results

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
after these messages
we'll be riiiiiiight back.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Advertising doesn't work on me :smuggo:

1 888 two the hundred empireeeeeeeee

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
France is trying to unshittify things - From 1st July supermarkets will be required to clearly label products where the contents have decreased without the price dropping as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaaPOdEkCeU

No other country will do this, so thats kinda lovely.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Baconroll posted:

France is trying to unshittify things - From 1st July supermarkets will be required to clearly label products where the contents have decreased without the price dropping as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaaPOdEkCeU

No other country will do this, so thats kinda lovely.
Instead of Chat Control and its brainwormy mutations, this is something the EU needs to be ramming through. I’d love for something like this

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

More like old cum rag hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

teen witch posted:

Instead of Chat Control and its brainwormy mutations, this is something the EU needs to be ramming through. I’d love for something like this

Combine that with the earlier suggestion:

NESTLE
San Pellegrino water
New! Smaller size! Same Price!