Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Anyway the Red Corsair detachment is really good just from the detachment rule. Assault on every gun and AP-1 for ranged and melee on objectives? Whew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Tau codex is on the app, and oh boy, the points are poopy. I'm crossing my fingers that the munitorum manual is out soon with a confirmation, but hopes are low.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Deleter posted:

Tau codex is on the app, and oh boy, the points are poopy. I'm crossing my fingers that the munitorum manual is out soon with a confirmation, but hopes are low.

Are the points too high or too low?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Higher. Played a team game of 10th last weekend and my Tau ally really wanted to get in one more game under "his broken index".

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Jack B Nimble posted:

Are the points too high or too low?

They're probably OK. Many of the units that got hit with +10/+15pts are ones that got buffed in some way, and people were concerned about in the competitive scene.

Siegler's draft Tau list went up over 200pts, which says a lot.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hi guys, I'm going to the tournament, here is the list I am bringing with me, sadly I dont have any mega-monsters, and I had to leave out my broodlord to make the cut off of 1000 pts:-

https://www.newrecruit.eu/app/list/MyABq

What do you think of this?

I learned a couple things about the people I'm facing, some of them are bringing heavy hitters like the silent king and ShadowSwords, sadly I'm too broke right now to get monsters like the Norn or Swarm Lord....

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Kroot are guardsmen with stealth and scout, so I personally don't rate them at 75 points.

One change I do like is the montka change - instead of this weird unworkable thing where you got assault for being guided, you now have everything be assault and then get lethal hits from being guided. It flows better, puts the emphasis on the spotting mechanic again, and means Breachers can't casually pick up whatever they point at (as easily)

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Al-Saqr posted:

Hi guys, I'm going to the tournament, here is the list I am bringing with me, sadly I dont have any mega-monsters, and I had to leave out my broodlord to make the cut off of 1000 pts:-

I learned a couple things about the people I'm facing, some of them are bringing heavy hitters like the silent king and ShadowSwords, sadly I'm too broke right now to get monsters like the Norn or Swarm Lord....

It looks like a nice balanced list for sure. It seems like you’ll do really well with secondaries; I think it’ll be viable! If someone brings a loving shadow sword to a 1000 pt game, admire their model (it is cool) but understand they’re being a bit of a prick.

If this is your first tournament, instead of strictly winning, I’d pay attention to the kinds of units that give you that spark of joy as you use them. If you love hitting charges and blowing poo poo up, let that inform you against say, not caring much if you do chip damage from across the board.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eej posted:

Anyway the Red Corsair detachment is really good just from the detachment rule. Assault on every gun and AP-1 for ranged and melee on objectives? Whew!

Nice to see them getting some love. I like the renegade chaos marines a little more than the legions.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Al-Saqr posted:

TBH at 1000 points bringing the big hitters like that isn't really an advantage - having half your points in a single model really won't help them score since they can only be in a single place at a time. Write off whatever objective that unit sits on and concentrate on the others, chew up the rest of their army then hide in cover and score score score.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd kill for tournament play near me at 1,000 points, it feels much more about the size of game I like, and I was having noticeably less fun once I'd assembled enough to play at fifteen hundred.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

a shadowsword can absolutely dumpster at 1k pts. you have to come out and do objectives too and you’re gonna lose two units a turn to anything in the shadowsword line of sight while being unable to touch it in return. the good news is I don’t think tyranids can do much damage to one even with the big plastic models so it’s not like you’re missing out.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

a shadowsword can absolutely dumpster at 1k pts. you have to come out and do objectives too and you’re gonna lose two units a turn to anything in the shadowsword line of sight while being unable to touch it in return. the good news is I don’t think tyranids can do much damage to one even with the big plastic models so it’s not like you’re missing out.

How is this good news lol im the tyranid player

Im also super worried about the silent king

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

How is this good news lol im the tyranid player

Im also super worried about the silent king

you were saying you were too broke to buy the big bugs, im saying it doesn’t matter either way

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

you were saying you were too broke to buy the big bugs, im saying it doesn’t matter either way

Ah ok

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How many points is a Shadowsword? Like, couldn't the tournament say "hey bro you can't spend more then a quarter of your total points on a unit, chill the gently caress out"

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

ro5s posted:

TBH at 1000 points bringing the big hitters like that isn't really an advantage - having half your points in a single model really won't help them score since they can only be in a single place at a time. Write off whatever objective that unit sits on and concentrate on the others, chew up the rest of their army then hide in cover and score score score.

This is 100% the case, taking something like that is hamstringing your own list

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Jack B Nimble posted:

How many points is a Shadowsword? Like, couldn't the tournament say "hey bro you can't spend more then a quarter of your total points on a unit, chill the gently caress out"

440 points. Rules as written you could take two and any character as warlord and have a valid 1000 point army :v:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Heck, you could even take 2 enginseers.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Super Waffle posted:

440 points. Rules as written you could take two and any character as warlord and have a valid 1000 point army :v:

Lostconfused posted:

Heck, you could even take 2 enginseers.

LOL, how wonderful that the game was freed from the oppressive tyranny of force organisation charts!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

If you bring a Stormlord and a Shadowsword then your 2 enginseers can ride around in the Stormlord I think.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ FACTION KEYWORD: Imperium - Astra Militarum
+ DETACHMENT: Combined Regiment
+ TOTAL ARMY POINTS: 990pts
+
+ WARLORD: Char1: Regimental Enginseer
+ ENHANCEMENT:
+ NUMBER OF UNITS: 4
+ SECONDARY: - Bring It Down: 2x5 - Assassination: 2 Characters
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Char1: 1x Regimental Enginseer (45 pts): Warlord, Archeotech Pistol, Enginseer Axe, Servo-arm
Char2: 1x Regimental Enginseer (45 pts): Archeotech Pistol, Enginseer Axe, Servo-arm

1x Shadowsword (440 pts): Volcano Cannon, Armoured Tracks, 2x Lascannon, Twin Heavy Bolter, 2x Twin Heavy Flamer
1x Stormlord (460 pts): 2x Heavy Stubber, Vulcan Mega-bolter, Armoured Tracks, 2x Lascannon, Twin Heavy Bolter, 2x Twin Heavy Flamer

Here's a list everyone would love to see at a local 1000 point tournament :)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Ork trukk update:

I haven't worked on it because I got sidetracked to finish my Custodes (which I did!) and I was frankly stuck on what to do.

So that's the kustom bubblechukka up top, but I'm thinking...

Should I just create another bed on the rear end end of the truck like the one up top?

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

How should I kit the field battery pieces from the guard starter?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
whatever you think looks the best

radlum
May 13, 2013
My FLGS is organizing a newbie tournament, just for people who know the basics and have tried a couple of games.

That’s me, so I want to participate with my IG models, some second hand stuff I got from an older player and the recent releases. I have the Cadia Stands Box, Lord Solar, the Gaunt’s Ghost box, a box of Kasrkin, a full roster of Krieg guardsmen (that I use for Kill Team), the Cadian Castellan, the Regimental Advisors, the Enginseer, two Ogryns, 20 additional guardsmen (the older models), 2 Psykers, 1 Commissar, 3 Chimeras, a Basilisk and Sly Marbo.

Any suggestions for a simple 1000 list? I’ve been told I can proxy stuff, but I’d prefer to use what I have even if it means a not very competitive list.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You probably would want to proxy something like a tank imo.

Otherwise you slam 20 bodies of Krieg, a psyker, and any character model as proxy for marshal into a a tough to kill blob.

Lord Solar along with a command squad and some 10 or 20 bodies to keep them glued together in a single unit.

That's like 500 points right there, then you can do a basilisk, maybe put the kasrkin into chimera if you feel like it. Some more stuff to fill it all out.

Run the field ordnance battery as heavy lascannons because you probably need more anti tank?

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ also works, you already have an enginseer \/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Take that stormlord and shadowsword list, of course

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Eej posted:

-1 AP like half the time is a good start. there are some units like one AP away from Good Actually, like venomcrawlers and... uh... venomcrawlers i guess.

but are they going to get adv+charge? because the list of units in CSM where i want to go fast and shoot gonne but not charge is short, and gets much shorter when you remember obliterators and good vehicles love 5+ crits and probably see some juice on whatever that iron warriors detachment they barely mentioned was.

this all changes if the chaos gods finally get sick of STD's poo poo and GW nerfs the crap out of pactbound zealots ofc. it is a lot of juice to sink into a detachment rule.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Axetrain posted:

If you bring a Stormlord and a Shadowsword then your 2 enginseers can ride around in the Stormlord I think.

Unfortunately that wont work, when in transports models don't "exists", so they wouldn't be within 3 inches of the models.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

But also for a 1000 points you can run this

quote:

5x Cadian Command Squad (85pts)
Lord Solar Leontus (125pts): Conquest, Konstrain's Hooves, Sol's Righteous Gaze, Warlord

20x Cadian Shock Troops (120pts)

Hellhound (115pts): Armoured Tracks, Hunter-killer Missile, Heavy Flamer, Inferno Cannon
Hellhound (115pts): Armoured Tracks, Hunter-killer Missile, Heavy Flamer, Inferno Cannon
Leman Russ Vanquisher (145pts): Vanquisher Battle Cannon, Armoured Tracks, Hunter-killer Missile, Lascannon, Heavy Stubber, 2 Plasma Cannons, 2x Plasma Cannon
Leman Russ Vanquisher (145pts): Vanquisher Battle Cannon, Armoured Tracks, Hunter-killer Missile, Lascannon, Heavy Stubber, 2 Plasma Cannons, 2x Plasma Cannon

Because gently caress you, games-workshop needs to figure out what they're doing with imperial guard.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I love Guard specifically because of their flexibility, though.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

The much maligned Vanquisher might just be worth it now because 145 points for the firepower/durability the chassis alone has seems like a bargain.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The current crop of inflation was entirely deiven by conpanies increasing their profit margins. It's pretty naive to to think that it helps avoid shortages or waste in any way whatsoever. Markets are not efficient at anything except enriching the wealthy.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/07/greedflation-corporate-profiteering-boosted-global-prices-study

So anyway that's why I'm voting for Gulliman for space president

You're reversing cause and effect. There was a huge supply shock with a large stimulus and change in buying behavior en masse. There were mass shortages of things like toilet paper. That's a signal that producers should raise prices (and they did) and in aggregate supply and demand come back into balance. I think naive would be the right word to use about someone who thinks that raising prices doesn't impact demand.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

wins32767 posted:

You're reversing cause and effect. There was a huge supply shock with a large stimulus and change in buying behavior en masse. There were mass shortages of things like toilet paper. That's a signal that producers should raise prices (and they did) and in aggregate supply and demand come back into balance. I think naive would be the right word to use about someone who thinks that raising prices doesn't impact demand.

Shut the gently caress up.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

wins32767 posted:

And yet they didn't lower them once the panic buying was done. Curious.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

you are so tedious people sigh with relief when you leave the room

Lostconfused posted:

But also for a 1000 points you can run this

that is not a tank commander, a LR punisher, and three LR vanquishers

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Do units block LOS?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

3 Action Economist posted:

And yet they didn't lower them once the panic buying was done. Curious.

"should raise prices" lmao

New Chaos Marines sound rad. I have a few sitting around I might be tempted to expand on.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tbf looking at the price differentials between US and UK makes me wonder if there is hams smuggling, but I suspect the wholesale price of the kits is probably a lot nearer to what it is in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

a pale ghost posted:

Do units block LOS?
yes but usually no in practice. rhinos officially don’t block LOS because you can see a millimeter under their treads.