Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Tarkus posted:

I'm not sure it's about wanting to kill humans but that maybe they look so close to humans that they make them deeply uncannily uncomfortable or something. That's my guess anyways.

Yeah it could very well be an evolutionary thing. There's a reason all of our cousin species of homo died out. Maybe ties into uncanny valley etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Idk that interpretation is disputed these days
*looks at extremely normal, not insane or perverted goon, but supposedly real science information*

Guess they went extinct in part through being unable to compete with the "Homo sapiens-Canis familiaris predatory complex," and in part by reproductive merging with anatomically modern humans.

Domestication of the wolf into the dog started essentially the instant humans came into contact with wolves and is confirmed to be tens of thousands of years before any other animal. Wolves started self-domesticating into dogs in a mutually beneficial way but this maybe wasn't possible with neanderthals because wolves were non-novel predators to them. However, humans were effective novel predators to large game in the region -- humans and wolves were compatible in a way that neanderthals and wolves weren't.

+ Seems as if you have specific combos of neanderthal/sapiens parents you'll be sterile/fertile. Either way you can just integrate with society and maybe pass your genes. Sticking completely with neanderthal side means you need big land tracts at lower population density to get the similar amount of resources. Humans and neanderthals were compatible in a lopsided way that just eventually forces neanderthals into total absorption or extinction (so, imo, unintentional genocide) -- they have no options available. If sapiens hadn't gotten to europe at the time they did but later neanderthals might have been fully reproductively incompatible.

Overall maybe less of direct mortal combat type stuff going on than people used to think. In general all the crap i've seen shows that humans have always exerted strong direct pressure since they moved in, but the pressure they exert by modifying the environment is dramatically more, 10x or 100x, before industry, before agriculture. Most of the wild stuff from extinct beasts thread that was still kicking when humans rolled in could hypothetically handle humans themselves being there, but the entire ecosystem changing was what really hosed things over for them and made everything impossible to survive.

What we know for certain... *takes a drag off a cig* what ever happened back then... *posts on something awful* we're the last of our kind, we're all Homo now...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
R u calling me gay? Bro I'm not gay what's you're problem?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ok uh... Hm. Maybe we can gently move this along from monkey torture?

Thread title?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bet y'all wish we were on a Trump derail right about now.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I KNEW the posts weren't being generated by a new confession (there aren't any) but all of my guesses would have been mercifully wrong

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Arven posted:

I'm saying shooting the hostage is the correct thing to do, dumbass

You should just say that instead of being dumb.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
oh hey I haven't checked this thread in months, I wonder what's new

Super Waffle posted:

Part of me has to wonder if the whole thing about women not wanting to date bi-men is rooted in insecurity. "If he's bi I have to worry about him cheating with both women AND men" kind of thing.

I'm like a month late on this, but I wanted to mention - a lot of homophobia and biphobia is rooted in the idea that a dude who wants to gently caress another dude will be unable to resist temptation, that they will simply be compelled. There's a lot of "the Devil made me do it" poo poo to unpack there, but to a certain kind of conservatively-oriented brain, The Queers simply cannot be trusted. Especially if you (wrongly) consider queerness of whatever variety to be a choice, or even grew up around people who did, it's not hard to see a bi man as someone who is just waiting to cheat on you.

It sucks and I hate it, personally

also I wholly believe you, UFO Goon

I had too much caffeine in college and met God (She was very cool btw - and yes, it's where my username comes from) so who am I to cast doubt

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I had too much caffeine in college and met God (She was very cool btw - and yes, it's where my username comes from) so who am I to cast doubt

Meeting god is kinda cool. It gets less cool the more you do it.The first time they're all "wtf you idiot" and it's all love. They get much much more annoyed every time after.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It sucks and I hate it, personally

maybe you should have thought of that before you decided to be bi?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

please respect a man's right to choose

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

maybe you should have thought of that before you decided to be bi?

I considered being pan instead but I like the colors of the bi pride flag better

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Desert Bus posted:

Meeting god is kinda cool. It gets less cool the more you do it.The first time they're all "wtf you idiot" and it's all love. They get much much more annoyed every time after.

Man, coffee and caffeine in general just calm me down. I drink half a pot before bed and sleep like a rock aside from getting up to pee once.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rad-daddio posted:

Man, coffee and caffeine in general just calm me down. I drink half a pot before bed and sleep like a rock aside from getting up to pee once.

You might have ADHD!

I had an ex-girlfriend who, before her diagnosis, was at a party where everyone was buying Adderall to party. She chipped in, only to find out she'd just paid 20€ to take a nap instead of go party crazy like her friends. Just like, "well, poo poo."

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

taiyoko posted:

You might have ADHD!

I had an ex-girlfriend who, before her diagnosis, was at a party where everyone was buying Adderall to party. She chipped in, only to find out she'd just paid 20€ to take a nap instead of go party crazy like her friends. Just like, "well, poo poo."

That would actually explain a whole lot.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I considered being pan instead but I like the colors of the bi pride flag better

hard to argue with that

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

this is entirely valid, the yellow in that one is an absolute miss. looks like kids finger paints. meanwhile, the bi flag looks like the sexiest possible movie lighting. and/or being pursued by the thing. either is cool af.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

taiyoko posted:

You might have ADHD!

How much Adderall were you getting for that 20? That's like whole bottle of the stuff price. If you just got a couple it seems like mdma would have been a better buy.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Obligatory do not take mdma if you are on SSRIs post! I almost lost my husband (who has adhd) to a horrible depression spiral.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I like the pan flag better than the bi flag personally, but I go with bisexual because frankly the discourse of the past 10-15 years has been dweeby as hell

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Please don't take Adderall if you don't have ADHD. People doing that are part of the reason why there's a major Adderall shortage in America right now that's making it close to impossible for people like me who actually have ADHD to get the medication we need just to function day-to-day.

Inceltown posted:

How much Adderall were you getting for that 20? That's like whole bottle of the stuff price.

I don't know where the gently caress you live but here in the US Adderall is like $300 for a bottle of 30 pills.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Generic amphetamine salts are like $30 for a months prescription with cut rate insurance.

$10 a pill on a college campus or the street sounds about right.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Inceltown posted:

How much Adderall were you getting for that 20? That's like whole bottle of the stuff price. If you just got a couple it seems like mdma would have been a better buy.

I don't know, this was an event from before we dated, that she told me about. I have never taken ADHD meds without a prescription (and i happen to not even really get much out of Adderall, i do better on ritalin...)

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

meanwhile, the bi flag looks like the sexiest possible movie lighting. and/or being pursued by the thing. either is cool af.

Thisnis what being bi is all about, though!

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Looks like somebody sent a request to send a message to the inbox, but it didn't go through properly.

Try again! the wells are so dry

burial
Sep 13, 2002

date night posted:

I really cannot complain about where I've ended up in life.

I'm a 40 year old guy, with a respected role in my community. But the need to constantly play a role, and be aware of the implications of what I say or don't say, is getting exhausting. It feels like a mask, I can never take off.

That's why date night is such a relief. Once every couple of weeks, my wife has me dress up in some slutty lingerie she bought me. Then I do housework, while she chills out. And it's then, that I finally feel alive, and free, and truly me.

e: Thanks, fellow 40 year old. Content was required and you stepped up!

when is date night? is it date night right now

burial fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 25, 2024

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
https://i.imgur.com/EXNPgRe.mp4

If it makes you happy, I see nothing wrong here. Scrub freely, anonymous friend.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Must not mention the Prime Direggtive.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Huh, that’s interesting. maybe date night should happen more often, since it makes you feel so much better

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t really know the norms of this thread: is it OK to suggest programmer socks and a New Vegas play through?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/EXNPgRe.mp4

If it makes you happy, I see nothing wrong here. Scrub freely, anonymous friend.

The only thing wrong here is that Mr. Clean's pants turn into shoes instead of having cuffs. Now I can't unsee it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
i'd suggest occasionally going out to dinner for date night too.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

hey, date night works, no need to overcomplicate it before anon is ready

let them explore this stuff at their own pace IMHO

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t really know the norms of this thread: is it OK to suggest programmer socks and a New Vegas play through?

A play through of Celeste couldn't hurt

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rad-daddio posted:

i'd suggest occasionally going out to dinner for date night too.

I don't know, most restaurants already have people to do their menial cleaning chores. And they probably wouldn't let him in wearing in his slutty lingerie anyway.

"Date night", I think it's fantastic that you and your wife have found a way for you to be truly yourself, even if only for a little while. More power to you. (Or rather, more power taken away from you, if that's the dynamic.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

"Date night", I think it's fantastic that you and your wife have found a way for you to be truly yourself, even if only for a little while. More power to you. (Or rather, more power taken away from you, if that's the dynamic.)

Seconded! Looking back, I probably came off glib with the thanks, too, but it was meant genuinely. It's almost the platonic ideal of what I imagine this thread is "for" (not that I don't love the crazier stuff too)