Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't know what the cheap and cheerful option for that is these days--

I feel like these days that'd be garageband or whatever the android equivalent is. A simple daw that has a taste of advanced features and is available with every phone. I guess the FL port to android is pretty good but I've never used it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

what the gently caress

it's come up in conversation multiple times already and I've been able to pull up my license code email to prove I'm not full of poo poo. The reaction you just had is universal, at this point whether I'm dealing with other computer toucher people or talking to the carpenter we use, everyone under 50 knows what Winrar is and they will all give you a WTF reaction. Absolutely worth the cost of entry, plus the smug satisfaction of knowing I'm supporting software I've used forever.

I basically never bother to actually register the app, though. I did once, then reformatted.

More Sensory Translator shenanigans today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaqU0c6bZrA

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Cabbages and VHS posted:

I no poo poo bought a winrar license last year

what the gently caress

Cabbages and VHS posted:

it's come up in conversation multiple times already and I've been able to pull up my license code email to prove I'm not full of poo poo. The reaction you just had is universal, at this point whether I'm dealing with other computer toucher people or talking to the carpenter we use, everyone under 50 knows what Winrar is and they will all give you a WTF reaction. Absolutely worth the cost of entry, plus the smug satisfaction of knowing I'm supporting software I've used forever.

I basically never bother to actually register the app, though. I did once, then reformatted.

Please forgive the poor form of cross-posting (well, cross-linking, I guess), but relevant to this, see this post and the ones from there until at least my post further down the page, about 10 more after it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914936&pagenumber=370#post539387369

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I imagine some sort of firehouse bell-like contraption in the old WinRAR offices started ringing when the charge went through, barely able to make a noise through all the decades' worth of accumulated cobwebs.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I foolishly did an impulse buy on an Amazon warehouse deal without doing my research. Now I have a mixer that has 48V phantom power always on for 4 of its channels.
Is there any danger to my synths if I plug them in there, using 1/4inch TS unbalanced cables?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

This is something that would be a fascinating topic on its own. Not just with DAWs but with all sorts of creative tools that a lot of people wouldn't have any real access to without torrents/usenet. How much of the music and art we enjoy has come from people using or learning on "stolen" tools, I wonder

One of the earliest electronic things to click for me musically was demoscene poo poo, so for me, personally, most/all of it lol

Working in a computer lab I noticed a similar thing w/ video editing software, though the stakes are higher there. Adobe Photoshop then Creative Suite too are/were big ones too (thinking more of Avid / Final Cut w/ the previous sentence)

It all feels very promethean to me

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

I foolishly did an impulse buy on an Amazon warehouse deal without doing my research. Now I have a mixer that has 48V phantom power always on for 4 of its channels.
Is there any danger to my synths if I plug them in there, using 1/4inch TS unbalanced cables?

Depends on the mixer and the synth, honestly. Most mixers don't send phantom out the 1/4 jacks, and most modern audio gear won't blink at receiving phantom on a line level jack, but there's not really any guarantee of either of those being true. My guess is that most gear will be fine, though you might get noise on the line depending on the equipment, that's more likely than something getting fried or damaged permanently

I'd personally be a little wary of plugging anything in that's boutique/hand-made, but that may be overly paranoid in this day and age. The only instances I've heard of where gear got permanently trashed from receiving phantom power is with ribbon mics, but noise is definitely an issue with other gear, I've had synths and effect boxes that get a high-pitched buzz if there's phantom power on the line, though not many.

You could put DIs or some other isolator in line and not have to worry about it, but that's extra gear that you really shouldn't need.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

Which one? thats such a weird feature lol

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah it's pretty bizarre, there are still lots of small mixers that only have a single phantom power switch, so you either have phantom on all of the mic jacks or none of them, but I've never run into one where you just can't control it at all

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Mister Speaker posted:

Thanks for the replies/book recos! I'll check them out.

Here, from the 'Dubstep is going to come back' thread. It was mostly me waxing on the idea that Dubstep inevitably became popular with a bunch of former Nu-Metal millennials, and its mercurial fad - those couple of years when it was just the poo poo - was because a lot of them probably didn't genuinely care, they just wanted to get hosed up and mosh. Also we got old.

Anyway there's a tangent in the post that starts to talk about soft synths, sidechaining, OTT and other surgical tools and it got me thinking that this topic could make for an interesting article. Thanks specifically for pointing out good digital reverb being a factor - I had thought about this but forgot. I remember the days when you only had D-Verb and getting studio time at college meant burning some wet tracks with the big ten-thousand-dollar Lexicon unit. Now we have things like ValhallaRoom which are just insane.

Dubstep never went anywhere. It's bigger than its ever been. Look at Lost Lands, Untz, Infrasound, it's huge

The current state of dubstep is basically akin to pro wrestling. It is incredibly talented, highly trained professional producers making the dumbest poo poo you've ever seen in a constant battle to one up each other. It's kind of incredible and is on the bleeding edge of modern production technique

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

Which one? thats such a weird feature lol
This one. I thankfully decided to rtfm before using it. Open box Amazon warehouse deep discount late night shopping. Uggggj.
https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/notepad-12fx
Weird unit with lots of inputs, 4 channel usb interface, some onboard fx, fx sends. I saw a low price and lots if channels and hit buy.

My probably inaccurate understanding is that the 48V hot wire would be the ring line on a trs balanced connector, or the equivalent pin on a XLR connector, so using an unbalanced quarter inch cable will avoid connecting to the 48V.
People who know: C/D?

Specifically I would be looking to plug in a microfreak, volcas, minilogue xd, and a befaco eurorack output module. Maybe a tr6s.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 8, 2024

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

This one. I thankfully decided to rtfm before using it. Open box Amazon warehouse deep discount late night shopping. Uggggj.
https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/notepad-12fx
Weird unit with lots of inputs, 4 channel usb interface, some onboard fx, fx sends. I saw a low price and lots if channels and hit buy.

My probably inaccurate understanding is that the 48V hot wire would be the ring line on a trs balanced connector, or the equivalent pin on a XLR connector, so using an unbalanced quarter inch cable will avoid connecting to the 48V.
People who know: C/D?

Specifically I would be looking to plug in a microfreak, volcas, minilogue xd, and a befaco eurorack output module. Maybe a tr6s.

It's hard to say for certain but with the wording in the manual I think the phantom power is probably only provided on the XLR connection on the combo jacks, or at least that's my guess. It's hard to say for certain how it's wired but a lot of cheaper gear that uses combo jacks has the 1/4 terminals wired so the ring connector is shorted to ground anyway and labels the 1/4 portion of the jack as an instrument input. You're probably fine as long as you're using 1/4 cables, is my guess.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

It's hard to say for certain but with the wording in the manual I think the phantom power is probably only provided on the XLR connection on the combo jacks, or at least that's my guess. It's hard to say for certain how it's wired but a lot of cheaper gear that uses combo jacks has the 1/4 terminals wired so the ring connector is shorted to ground anyway and labels the 1/4 portion of the jack as an instrument input. You're probably fine as long as you're using 1/4 cables, is my guess.
Thanks! I suppose I could pull out the old multimeter and play a round of "hot or not?" to confirm.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The manual fully pretends both the jacks and the xlrs are suitable for line level connections in a way that makes me think it probably doesn't often cause problems, but I really don't know enough about it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I bought a Roland SC-55 for reasons I can't fully explain or understand, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm now resisting the urge to buy other cheap-ish hardware romplers. I think I need help

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I think red means recording dumped a bunch of rompler libraries on his patreon back in March of you want to save a few bucks

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I think red means recording dumped a bunch of rompler libraries on his patreon back in March of you want to save a few bucks

yeah his rompler video is what started me down this road initially. Also there are probably software equivalents (or close enough) to anything I'd be looking at that it's objectively a bad idea to buy the actual gear, before even tackling the subject of horrendous interfaces.

I'm mostly tempted because my desire to make music in the first place came out of being a big nerd about a certain era of video game music, so there's something kind of fun from a collection standpoint to actually own an SC-55. The upside is that the ones I'm looking at (D-110 and JV1080) aren't horrendously expensive, though they're not exempt from the recent price inflation that's hit a lot of this stuff just due to showing up in Bad Gear videos or whatever.

edit: I take it back, JV1080s are pretty overpriced now on Reverb, imo

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 8, 2024

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

from what i've heard the JV1080 was super popular but by the end of its lifecycle had a poo poo ton of unsold stock so i don't think the prices are going to go astronomical any time soon

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Are JV1010s still cheap? Someone has probably made a reasonable editor for current platforms by now. You’d want one for any of them anyway.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Startyde posted:

Are JV1010s still cheap? Someone has probably made a reasonable editor for current platforms by now. You’d want one for any of them anyway.

Cheaper than the 1080s but not drastically. Honestly I don't know enough about that range to even know the difference, I'm still pretty green to the world of romplers.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Christ I should sell my jv-2080 now that the nostalgia is peaking

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I just picked up an SP-404 MkII and realized I have no sample library to get started using this thing as it's my first sampler.

I downloaded the free vintage drum machine sample pack from Reverb but it seems to primarily be formatted for DAW's and not necessarily ideal for a sampler.

Does anybody have any pointers for a good babby's first sample library I should be looking at? I'm looking forward to recording things straight into it and chopping them up but it'd be nice to at least have some of the basics on-hand to start with. Also if anybody has some best practices for organizing the folder structure of your sample library that would be helpful too, or any guides to setting up a sample library folder structure/file naming.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
The Samples from Mars library is held in high esteem by a lot of people - it's $99 for all of their samples, but goes on sale frequently iirc

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Honestly I just point asdr in the general direction of where splice, loopcloud, etc store their downloads and use that to manage everything

https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/software/adsr-sample-manager/

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

curried lamb of God posted:

The Samples from Mars library is held in high esteem by a lot of people - it's $99 for all of their samples, but goes on sale frequently iirc

It looks like something like this is probably what I want:
https://samplesfrommars.com/products/essential-wav-from-mars

just essential wav file packs. I'll mostly be making house/techno/lo-fi type stuff so it'd be fun to just have a decent essentials collection of Roland TR's and other classic drum machines as well as some fun synth chords (juno's and what not).

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MMD3 posted:

just essential wav file packs. I'll mostly be making house/techno/lo-fi type stuff so it'd be fun to just have a decent essentials collection of Roland TR's and other classic drum machines as well as some fun synth chords (juno's and what not).
Maybe check this out, and have a look at what else is available there?
https://archive.org/details/genesis_mega_drive_project_2612_music_flac

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

B33rChiller posted:

Maybe check this out, and have a look at what else is available there?
https://archive.org/details/genesis_mega_drive_project_2612_music_flac

this is awesome, thanks!

wasn't really planning on doing chiptune stuff but the sheer nostalgia might get me to chop some of this up.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

MockingQuantum posted:

Cheaper than the 1080s but not drastically. Honestly I don't know enough about that range to even know the difference, I'm still pretty green to the world of romplers.

It’s great, 2080 partials and the session card built in. Small enough to velcro under your board. You’re losing on higher fidelity partials(it’s fine) and istr an fx bus. If I didn’t have a 2080 I’d have one of them. If you don’t ever see yourself buying expansion ROMs, might be a pick.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Startyde posted:

It’s great, 2080 partials and the session card built in. Small enough to velcro under your board. You’re losing on higher fidelity partials(it’s fine) and istr an fx bus. If I didn’t have a 2080 I’d have one of them. If you don’t ever see yourself buying expansion ROMs, might be a pick.

Interesting, that's appealing because like you said, I'd probably be using a software editor no matter what. I might see if I can lowball somebody on a 1010, I need to watch some demo vids first to make sure it's something I feel is worth getting before going down that road.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

MockingQuantum posted:

yeah his rompler video is what started me down this road initially. Also there are probably software equivalents (or close enough) to anything I'd be looking at that it's objectively a bad idea to buy the actual gear, before even tackling the subject of horrendous interfaces.

I'm mostly tempted because my desire to make music in the first place came out of being a big nerd about a certain era of video game music, so there's something kind of fun from a collection standpoint to actually own an SC-55. The upside is that the ones I'm looking at (D-110 and JV1080) aren't horrendously expensive, though they're not exempt from the recent price inflation that's hit a lot of this stuff just due to showing up in Bad Gear videos or whatever.

edit: I take it back, JV1080s are pretty overpriced now on Reverb, imo

Give K1v a shot! It’s free and excellent. The sounds are simple and cheesy and I use it all the time. For paid stuff Korg M1 v2 (or iM1 for iOS) is awesome too and it doesn’t cost a ton. It’s loaded with classic familiar presets.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MMD3 posted:

this is awesome, thanks!

wasn't really planning on doing chiptune stuff but the sheer nostalgia might get me to chop some of this up.
:cheersbird: I remember a Red Means Recording episode where he mentions finding a bunch of 90's sample pack CDs on archive.org so I did a quick browse, and found that instead. I'm sure there's a huge goldmine sitting in the stacks over there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are so many sample CD's on archive.org you could spend a year sorting everything you downloaded because "it looked neat" and still not be done.

It's a goldmine but a serious amount of work to dig through.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

speaking of samples, what's the best sample management software or app out there these days? ADSR is the one I hear the most about, but any other options worth looking at?

I already have a program that I use quite a bit for managing my sound effects library for sound design stuff and it's pretty powerful so I'm halfway inclined to just use that, but it's probably not as geared to musical samples as ADSR would be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know what the best one is but I can hopefully save you some homework and confirm that all the free ones are complete garbage. All the smart ones that try to auto categorize are really annoying too.

All I want is something that lets me rapidly flip through the list and do simple edits-in-place like time stretching, cropping, or pitch shift. And then some file organization stuff too, like batch renaming and dragging into folders.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Can confirm, ADSR is kinda assy.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oh huh, in that case I might stick with Basehead. I don't think it has any BPM detection or tools but I can do pitch shift and cropping in place and transfer out the results as its own file pretty quickly. I'm actually not sure if it can do time stretching in place but it wouldn't shock me. I've never checked, since I usually do that kind of thing in Reaper when doing sound design work because I'm inevitably doing a bunch of other more involved manipulation anyway.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

B33rChiller posted:

:cheersbird: I remember a Red Means Recording episode where he mentions finding a bunch of 90's sample pack CDs on archive.org so I did a quick browse, and found that instead. I'm sure there's a huge goldmine sitting in the stacks over there.

the big one with a ton of sample CDs in it has unfortunately since been removed off the internet archive

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

It's back up https://archive.org/details/90s-sample-cds

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

MMD3 posted:

The "Masterbits TR-Minator" set from the link I posted is my go to for 808 and 909. "300 Drum Machines Part 5" has pretty much everything else Roland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

all you really need is some cr 78 samples