Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gonna need a default helldivers helmet with a red headband tied around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

BitBasher posted:

Against bugs it was totally useless when anything got close to you or an enemy was close to a friendly.

This wasn’t really my experience unless we use a super strict definition of “close to you” meaning “in explosive vacuum or melee range.” I started off using it in a “pair with wave clear support” sort of role with something like arc thrower/stalwart but gravitated towards running it with rocket launchers because it felt redundant to have two weapons that are so good at wave clear. Like I would take an arc thrower and find myself having to go out of my way to force myself to swap to it because the eruptor was so good at killing light units (along with mediums).

I would love a version of the eruptor that’s “eruptor but you can’t animation cancel the bolt action and it sucks against chargers” but as long as it retained either it’s wave clear or medium 1-shots I think it would be perfectly viable.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

BitBasher posted:

How about gently caress them for trying to get me to make a xitter account to vote in their poll? They should release the warbond but there's no way I'm making an account on a poo poo head's website to vote for it.

Pilestedt says they don't have access to make discord polls and the community team are having some R&R. There is no way the community is going to vote to delay.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Turns out the Plasma Punisher still doesn't interact well with the shield pack. This only happens if you're running and gunning in the opposite direction; if you pause for a split second to aim then this won't happen.

https://i.imgur.com/ybHyDBr.mp4

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Making an account on the fash website to vote is extremely on the super earth brand IMO

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

BitBasher posted:

Against bugs it was totally useless when anything got close to you or an enemy was close to a friendly.

yes this is why you switch to another weapon like the redeemer. or you just run around wildly with the laserdog. that's what made the gun "balanced" to play since it had lots of negatives

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been heavily favoring my primary over support weapons for a long time, which is probably also why I value the supply pack so much. Outside of like, the AC and the laser cannon, the primaries feel stronger for general use than the supports, with the supports being on-demand answers to specific problems your primary can't deal with. Which is the way it should be IMO

E: I've never been into the eruptor though so I can't speak for it specifically

Yeah like, the people who play with the AC as their primary sound annoying as gently caress to be teamed with

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah like, the people who play with the AC as their primary sound annoying as gently caress to be teamed with
how is that what you got from that statement

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

turn off the TV posted:

only once they add the minigun strategem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2p3pgnPPvA

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I think primaries should be able to do more. It would be great to have a heavy armour pen primary that had a bunch of downsides, because it would open up space to take support weapons that I would otherwise never use on bugs, like anything without heavy pen. Being able to fully mix and match your loadout between all the niches you need it to cover, including with primaries and secondaries, would add a lot I think.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
We need some more achievements, for … democratic reasons

Traitor no more - Survive and board the Pelican 150 seconds after being branded a traitor
Do it Naow - Kill 10 stalkers in 60 seconds
I’m doing my part - Join a difficulty 9 game in-progress and extract within 20 seconds

turn off the TV posted:

only once they add the minigun strategem

I’m sure it’s coming

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Fatshark added higher difficulty missions that didn't reward anything extra to appeal to the hardcore crowd without taking anything from the casual players and that would solve a lot of problems in helldivers.

Interested

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Jesse what the hell are you talking about

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LazyMaybe posted:

how is that what you got from that statement

Edit: nevermind, no point

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I think primaries should be able to do more. It would be great to have a heavy armour pen primary that had a bunch of downsides, because it would open up space to take support weapons that I would otherwise never use on bugs, like anything without heavy pen. Being able to fully mix and match your loadout between all the niches you need it to cover, including with primaries and secondaries, would add a lot I think.

I think the problem with that line of thinking is that you always have the primary, while you can lose supports and potentially not have them for minutes at a time. Heavy armor is and should be a big hurdle that is difficult to overcome, and having the ability to solve that problem with the weapon you spawn with every death would gently caress the whole momentum of the game up imo

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

I think the problem with that line of thinking is that you always have the primary, while you can lose supports and potentially not have them for minutes at a time. Heavy armor is and should be a big hurdle that is difficult to overcome, and having the ability to solve that problem with the weapon you spawn with every death would gently caress the whole momentum of the game up imo

Objectively correct take.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You absolutely do not need an anti- heavy support weapon against bugs, unless maybe you're quickplaying 9s and can't trust your team.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Well the trade off there is that you would not have your support weapon which would be there to cover the light to medium units and thus would be hosed, just like in the opposite scenarios where you can't deal with a heavy

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Sindai posted:

You absolutely do not need an anti- heavy support weapon against bugs, unless maybe you're quickplaying 9s and can't trust your team.

So are you relying on them to kill the heavies or are you banking on the fact your stratagem cooldowns will be enough in this situation? I guess you’d be running around as a group in this hypothetical situation

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah imo these hypotheticals should always be under the assumption that you’re running with a squad of some sort. Like Sea of Thieves and other similar games, solo is possible and supported but it’s not the way the game is intended to be played

unless the hypothetical is specifically for solo viability or whatever, of course

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Even then you don't really need an anti-heavy weapon against bugs, you can just run away from most things until extraction. Just might be a bit dicey and require doubling back for doing objectives solo with forced breaches (e.g. geological survey)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Risky Bisquick posted:

So are you relying on them to kill the heavies or are you banking on the fact your stratagem cooldowns will be enough in this situation? I guess you’d be running around as a group in this hypothetical situation
As I have said before, I usually run bug 9s without an antitank support and use strats to kill them. This is with randoms, and no, I don't normally run around as a group, I'm splitting off to do objectives solo very frequently.
Sometimes you don't have stuff off cooldown but kiting around a bile titan for a bit is not a big deal.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jerkface posted:

Well the trade off there is that you would not have your support weapon which would be there to cover the light to medium units and thus would be hosed, just like in the opposite scenarios where you can't deal with a heavy

Except you have a secondary, low cooldown aoe strategems that can kill light units en masse, and grenades. Plus, whatever heavy primary can also kill lights in a pinch. It isn't an even trade. And even if your point stood, why would anybody make that trade? You face alot more lights than heavies, why trade any of the plethora of powerful anti armor supports away to take an anti armor primary while potentially losing most of your ability to deal with 90% of the threats you face?

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 9, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I rewatched Starship Troopers last night and now all I really want out of this game is for any weapon to be able to penetrate any bug, just with severely reduced damage, like Rico shooting the hole in the Tanker in SST. A lot of build flexibility would be freed up just by not being forced to take an anti-tank weapon against bugs due to bugs having a unit that cannot be killed without one, even if it would be inefficient and take multiple full mags without one.

Bots are already fine for this since they all have weakspots that can be targeted by smaller arms. Just let me magdump a Liberator or whatever into a Titan to eventually bring them down.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 9, 2024

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

novaSphere posted:

Turns out the Plasma Punisher still doesn't interact well with the shield pack. This only happens if you're running and gunning in the opposite direction; if you pause for a split second to aim then this won't happen.

https://i.imgur.com/ybHyDBr.mp4

You wouldn't be running...away...from Prosperity's foes, would you, Helldiver?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Except you have a secondary, low cooldown aoe strategems that can kill light units en masse, and grenades. Plus, whatever heavy primary can also kill lights in a pinch. It isn't an even trade.

Well we are in a hypothetical but using things like your secondary or grenades to handle chaff seems fine, they are limited capacity options. Obviously the heavy option could kill lights or mediums as well but thats true for supports. If you had 10 shots of this heavy would you waste them on a light unit? And using a stratagem for lights in that scenario is fine since youre trading off heavy strats.

Its balancable

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

You wouldn't be running...away...from Prosperity's foes, would you, Helldiver?

It's called a Democratic De-advance, something anyone that isn't a traitor should know.

Jerkface posted:

Well we are in a hypothetical but using things like your secondary or grenades to handle chaff seems fine, they are limited capacity options. Obviously the heavy option could kill lights or mediums as well but thats true for supports. If you had 10 shots of this heavy would you waste them on a light unit? And using a stratagem for lights in that scenario is fine since youre trading off heavy strats.

Its balancable

Ok, but why though? I disagree with you completely, mind, but what would be the point of throwing a proverbial frag into the current (already tumultuous) weapon balance calculation?

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 9, 2024

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Heavy armour isn't a big hurdle at all in bots though, you can take out almost anything with certain primaries at the right angle. It means there's a lot more good loadout options for bots. For bugs if you want to have a loadout that can handle everything you feel much more pigeonholed. Maybe that's a deliberate design decision, but I personally don't think it would suffer if BTs had similar weakpoints to tanks and hulks that could be handled without heavy armour pen.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Played a game with a bot(?) that seemed to have infinite grenades, infinite machine gun sentries (they were littered everywhere), and their EATs could fire 5-6 times without being dropped. Then they spent 5 minutes running into a wall, so I unloaded an entire breaker mag and four Senator bullets into their shield before they died.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Heavy armour isn't a big hurdle at all in bots though, you can take out almost anything with certain primaries at the right angle. It means there's a lot more good loadout options for bots. For bugs if you want to have a loadout that can handle everything you feel much more pigeonholed. Maybe that's a deliberate design decision, but I personally don't think it would suffer if BTs had similar weakpoints to tanks and hulks that could be handled without heavy armour pen.

That's a different point entirely, one that I agree with. Although, bots are alot more deadly at further ranges, so giving you the ability to deal with them easier with good aim makes sense to balance out the fact that they can machine guns at you lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Ok, but why though? I disagree with you completely, mind, but what would be the point of throwing a proverbial frag into the current (already tumultuous) weapon balance calculation?

If your position is that the devs are incapable of intelligent game design then fair. I think having more and varied options would make selecting load out more interesting.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jerkface posted:

If your position is that the devs are incapable of intelligent game design then fair. I think having more and varied options would make selecting load out more interesting.

Ok, you're dug in, I get it. I think that blowing up the entire structure of weapon loadout selection and balance so that you can have a "dude wouldn't be cool if" primary AMR or something is a really stupid idea. You think it's not.

Moving on.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really liked the Eruptor, it was satisfying and effective to use, and allowed my group to mix up our stratagem loadouts in ways we wouldn't otherwise. For one thing, the guy who always takes the AC felt he could actually use other weapons because I had it's little brother. That said, I also didn't use it all the time because it wasn't good enough to be a ubiquitous pick. It was an interesting, balanced weapon. I didn't know about the one-shotting chargers thing because why would i?

Having the official reason for it being nerfed into the ground move from "there's a ricochet bug, this will actually be a net buff" to "you shooting the enemy with guns is an exploit, and this is your fault for complaining about bugs" came across as weird, and dismissive of the idea that gunplay should be enjoyable.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Did a full run of 8s with a group of 3, took Gas and Napalm and Arc Thrower (we brought all three of EAT, Quasar, and RR to handle Titans).
Gas and Napalm are really nice now, huh? We even got the elimination without too much trouble other than ninja Spewers sneaking up on us (special shoutout to the Tesla Tower for cutting off one corner of the map and the Patriot Exosuit for taking out two Bile Titans at the beginning of the round).

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Ok, you're dug in, I get it. I think that blowing up the entire structure of weapon loadout selection and balance so that you can have a "dude wouldn't be cool if" primary AMR or something is a really stupid idea. You think it's not.

Moving on.

They have a dozen+ different levers to balance weapons, how is having a unique primary that should have its own disadvantages & trade offs "blowing up the entire structure" of weapon selection? Like how is having another gun to balance going to blow up the devs ability to balance things? We're getting tons of new weapons and stratagems regardless, so why would a primary that can deal with heavies be out of line? They can just balance it! Like I said, low ROF, low ammo count, single shot, handles like a boat, whatever. "Using other stuff like secondaries and stratagems to cover the weaknesses of your supposed primary" is not a problem, its good game design!

Edit: And just anecdotally, running eruptor is the only time Ive ever actually ran dry on my secondary. Most primaries don't really require using it, so running a gun where I really had to decide when to pull out the redeemer and actually use it was great. There were times where you'd have 3 bugs left and closing in but not bunched up, would you use 3 eruptor shots on them? Seems kind of wasteful. Or just use your secondary? I liked making that choice and if I was using any other primary I would just have blasted them. The ammo nerf made that a real decision and that is a good lever of a balance they can use!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 9, 2024

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I feel like while there's a few nice horde-clear support weapons they tend to get overshadowed by antitank or anti-armor slow single-target big death guns, because you're not allowed to drop with that on your primary that's just what your support is, so your primary works best as the horde-clear to balance it out. You have a choice for where to put the big single-targets and where to put the fast multi-targets but only one slot has the really big anti-armor so if you want that it's not much of a choice at all.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I got to enjoy the glory that was the Eruptor as it was originally released. I cackled maniacally as giant mountains of bugs and bug corpses would move in waves with each shot, and I would usually be first or second in kills.

I think one of my favorite aspects of it was that it was essentially a delete spewer key, hopefully it's still pretty good at that?

It is sad that they have to nerf every hilarious great weapon, hopefully they will focus more in the future on buffing the orphan weapons and not make such severe changes.

I'm enjoying the Punisher Plasma/shield bubble/EAT/stun/grenade pistol combo (since they mostly fixed the blow yourself up problem). It's not quite the same as the mayhem the Eruptor dealt out but it has almost a similar feel to me, it's just not dealing the damage from such long range and it can't close bugholes hence the nade pistol.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Zwabu posted:

I think one of my favorite aspects of it was that it was essentially a delete spewer key, hopefully it's still pretty good at that?

Nope! Takes 3 shots now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Player count numbers are still way down in my area. I wanted to play some bot missions but there's not so many fighting right now.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I love :gas:! 600+ kills on the reg on 7+ bug missions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
They buff the armor of bile spewers or something? They seem ultra hard to kill for some reason.