Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Eiba posted:

Hmm, I never thought of that. If you leave smokeleaf in prison will your prisoners just use it, like they would eat a meal? That's a great idea to keep prisoners docile, but if you have to actually administer it that's probably more micro than it's worth.

Not sure what rules they follow for recreational use but prisoners will definitely use whatever to manage dependencies or addictions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

death cob for cutie posted:

After annihilating and rebuilding my mod list, I've lost a mod that enables different types of funerals - specifically, there was a cremation burial that would produce an urn afterwards. I thought it was in Alpha Memes, but when I installed that and checked I wasn't seeing it. Is there another mod that adds different types of funerals for ideologies, or did my eyes somehow just glaze over all of them the last time I checked?

you thought correctly

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Flesh Forge posted:

Tremendous, that was a big letdown for me at release time

Have you had a chance to test the new stuff out yet? I don't have a ton of time to play at the moment, but I started a tribal colony with the inhumanization and ritual memes, and right away it's amazing. Inhumanization drops pain to 50% which dramatically reduces the work slowdown and break risk from common early game problems like food poisoning. This also means that your colonists are getting way more work done, which gets your colony stabilized faster even if you aren't advancing tech. You can immediately give everyone a war mask, which reduces pain shock threshold by 15% on top of the halved pain they feel, which means your guys will just calmly walk toward raiders who are putting bullets into them. You can further reduce total pain by 10% with psychite tea. Inhumanization gives a constant +8 mood on top of that.

Bioferrite is probably the best material for sharp weapons in the game, and knives are secretly very good (unlike all other melee weapons, they don't have any weak attacks like pommel strikes, so they have lower base damage but they never waste turns). It also boosts your psycasting. Once you get anomaly stuff going, all your mutations are basically consequence-free and superior to normal parts.

For my run I'm allowing myself to get up to medieval tech (the vanilla kind) so I'll have uranium maces and plasteel plate mail for dealing with mechanoids, and if I can recruit some impids, most of the anomaly monsters will be easy to deal with. We'll see how that all goes. I'm predicting a lot of deaths, but that just means I'll need to get more pawns.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

worm girl posted:

Bioferrite is probably the best material for sharp weapons in the game, and knives are secretly very good (unlike all other melee weapons, they don't have any weak attacks like pommel strikes, so they have lower base damage but they never waste turns). It also boosts your psycasting.

High quality Bioferite Longswords are the best melee weapons in the game outside Persona weapons. They get a huge boost to Sharp damage and can't do their blunt pommel attacks at all.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
They are 5000 silver cheaper and persona swords often have some stupid bullshit attached to them so I'd take the monster blood blade any day.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Oh god it just keeps spreading

So much flesh

maybe fake edit: this reminds me of playing Creeper World 3; I approve

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

worm girl posted:

Have you had a chance to test the new stuff out yet?

got sucked back into Fallout 76 :negative:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ccubed posted:

High quality Bioferite Longswords are the best melee weapons in the game outside Persona weapons. They get a huge boost to Sharp damage and can't do their blunt pommel attacks at all.

Plus they make you more psychic.

Uranium maces are still in contention though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh poo poo bioferrite equipment boosts psychic sensitivity? I've mostly just been using it for rituals

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

OwlFancier posted:

It does not appear so:

Wonder how much psychic boosting gear you can layer?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

ccubed posted:

Wonder how much psychic boosting gear you can layer?

The Psychich Hypersensitivity trait adds 80%.
Blinding the pawn grants 50%.
Legendary Eltex shirt grants 15%.
Legendary Eltex Staff grants 75%.
So that's already 295%.

A psychic hypersensitizer weapon adds 40%.
A psychic sensitizer adds 25%.
A psychic bond from a highmate partner adds 10%.

Assuming a baseliner pawn, that's 495%. I believe the cap is 500%. A bioferrite collar of any quality would certainly get you there, as even a normal one would add 49.5% to that total. But note that psychic sensitivity does not make your psycasts stronger, it makes psycasts that are used on you last longer. It also boosts your neural heat limit, allowing you to safely use more psycasts, but do note that all that fancy Eltex gear is not making your caster stronger, it is making them more receptive to all psychic effects, including psychic drones, good and bad.

Eltex gear is lovely as armor, and the prestige power armor doesn't raise sensitivity much. So IMO the important thing about bioferrite is that it can grant substantial boosts to your frontliners' psy sensitivity, which makes them get longer-duration buffs from painblock, focus, word of joy, and word of serenity. None of the environmental powers like psyquake or wallraise interact with anybody's sensitivity, and you usually can't control the sensitivity of enemies you want to hit with stun or beckon, so IMO it is most important for your hussars and neanderthals who have trouble with mood but are needed to defend the base.

Keeping psyfoil hats around for psychic drones is also really useful.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 9, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also, high psychic sensitivity on the person leading a Void ritual boosts the ritual quality.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Reminder that ceremonial hoods made with good materials (Synthread, hyperweave, devilstrand) have better defences than simple steel helmets, and give full head coverage.
Reasonably cheap to make, too. Only downside is your entire colony ends up looking like a cult-con.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Broadwraps are also great since they protect the face

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Bioferrite is the new steel where there's way more things I want to make with it than I have available to spend. Especially when I need to reserve some for rituals too. :smithicide:

At least I can set up a steady income of it much earlier in the game than steel, so over time it should even out relatively safely. Just gotta get more anomalies to keep in the cells.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
A story in two parts:

She isn't even a bad doctor!

And the only reason he needed a denture in the first place was because my sanguophage punched his jaw clean off in one hit when trying to subdue him after a golden cube deactivation.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 9, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oops tried to install dentures with a sword

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Pros: Dentures are on the head

Cons: We lost the head, straight up can't find it, we had it on the desk and it's gone now

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

"Just 30 minutes of Rimworld on my lunch break, it'll be fine, I'll make a little building progress and finally finish the perimeter walls."
Tribal raid. BIG tribal raid. I have a desperate shortage of steel and components, because I've gotten one trade ship in two years and don't have enough people to staff a caravan (7 colonists total).
Scared them off enough they retreated! After they cut an arm off of my main doctor and off of my researcher, critically injured three others without killing any limbs, and left one person standing. I was able to get people stabilized before I had to save and stop, but this is going to loving suck. I didn't have any spare arms and I still don't have the steel to make any that aren't completely useless. Hell.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
First experience with a Revenant, I'll spoiler tag it just in case

Victim number 1 was actually a visitor on their way off the map, the security team had basically no chance of catching him. We rescued the victim and tucked him into the hospital.

Victim number 2 was a member of the security team, the revenant popped up and tried to zap a colonist but was narrowly too slow, the officer got a few good charge slugs into him before the revenant got into zapping range. The rest of the team showed up and lit the bastard up but wasn't able to finish the job holy poo poo those things are beasts.

Victim number 3 was my moral guide, who was grabbing lunch when Big Spice shows up in the drat paste room. That was a fun way to find out revenants don't care about door locks. Security formed a firing line but the drat thing sprinted right over them and broke contact long enough to disappear. I also learned the 10% psychic sensitivity my Hussar has from his wife is in fact enough for the revenant to go invisible. My other hussar is in and out of the hospital because a bullet to the brain from a few raids ago messed him up not enough to immobilize him, but enough for him to wander out of the hospital at two meters an hour and eventually collapse from hunger. :cripes: Waiting on some glitterworld medicine for him.

At this point we researched him enough that colonists can identify the sound of him shuffling around, and it turns out the fucker didn't even leave the map. Security took up the newly minted disruption flares and started whipping them around like AOL cds. Sure enough he's still around and after the world's most pathetic chase we bring the thing down and take his spine to gay baby jail.

My security team has a mix up of charge shotguns and charge rifles, we switched mostly to shotguns after victim 2 which was a good call considering where he popped up next. Invest in proximity alarms, god drat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

With overlapping alarms you may be able to triangulate their resting location.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I've started making all my entrances go via my prison so the revenant goes after my sanguophage's blood nuggets instead of useful colonists.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Regardless of which start I pick, I generally begin by speedrunning battery and geothermal research once I've gotten my basic stockpile/shelter/growing zone setup out of the way. I don't know how people manage without electricity - feels like unless you've gotten refrigeration out of the way, you spend nearly 100% of your time on food preparation since meals go bad so quickly.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I add start with research: geothermal energy to my starting scenario lmao

I straight up can't function without at least some stable power

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Wood generators are extremely stable early on if you're in anything more fertile than desert/tundra/extreme desert/ice sheet.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Inadequately posted:

Regardless of which start I pick, I generally begin by speedrunning battery and geothermal research once I've gotten my basic stockpile/shelter/growing zone setup out of the way. I don't know how people manage without electricity - feels like unless you've gotten refrigeration out of the way, you spend nearly 100% of your time on food preparation since meals go bad so quickly.
If you start as tribal, the thing to do is to have most of your long term food storage as pemmican(which is good for like 2 years or something) and corn(which is good for a year) and to only make enough meals to keep up with what people are eating daily so you're not wasting labor from rotten meals. I guess it's a bigger burden if you run huge colonies(I generally don't), but then you have a lot more labor available for food prep.

The actual labor issue I had with my gimmick "no researching electricity until everything below it was done" run was the sheer amount of labor time it takes to feed wood to all your torches/stoves/etc. (compounded by it being a deserty map so wood was in short supply)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i've been trapped by decision paralysis making a xenotype forever now and i gotta sort it out. i made some weirdoes who were like the burrowers from the movie of the same name, but tribal games get a bit boring

i kinda want to make a xenotype based on the fleshmass monsters. i did the art for the taukai guys from Alpha Genes and theyd probably work rpetty well for fleshmass dudes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Inadequately posted:

Make fewer meals. Keep your food in the form of raw rice or corn and it'll last basically forever without refrigeration. Just set up a bill to only make enough meals to last all your colonists a day or two.

Refrigeration is basically a tech that gives you access to a resource intensive way to make meals less fiddly. It's not much of an improvement at all in terms of labor and resources.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah I basically always start my cooking bills at something like

Cheap meal x4 until # of colonists in storage
cheap meal x1 until # of colonists in storage
Cheap meal x4 until 20 in freezer
Fancy meal x4 until 20 in freezer
Psychite tea x4 forever
Psychite tea x1 forever
Joints, Wort (you get the drill)
Butcher forever
Kibble but from hay and ideally bug guts

And then adjust the skill sliders so morons aren't trying to do things that will give anyone food poisoning & ensure we're not making stacks of meals without refrigerators. If there's pemmican or survival meals it goes in after the fanciest meals. Not gonna be chopping humans. Paste can be worth it but you really need to build around it, ideally.

One or two days of meals is good except if your only cook dies you may be in trouble, even just food poisoning can be dangerous and end up forcing people to eat raw ingredients. Risk you take tbh.

Usually carcasses last longer than stacks of meat, I dunno how accurate this is now but it used to always be the case

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It can feel bad to let meat spoil but that's just what you need to do if you don't have a freezer. But if you micromanage a little you can take advantage of how the spoilage timers work; it doesn't matter whether meat came from a carcass that's 1h from spoilage or 2 days from spoilage, you get the same new spoilage timer regardless. Likewise when you're meat into meals, it doesn't matter if the meat is old. So rather than cooking everything up all at once it makes sense to stretch it out over several days. If you've got 2 large animal corpses, only butcher one of them, then slowly use that meat in just enough meals to keep the colony fed, then butcher the other one.

Kibble also doesn't go bad, so if you're ranching anyway then it doesn't hurt to turn a bunch of meat that's about to go bad directly into kibble. Colonists can eat it too; they dislike it, but it's better than starving

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
If you're not in the tropics, you can dig a room that's entirely under overhead mountain roofs and stick a couple of passive coolers in it. In a temperate map this is enough to refrigerate or even freeze the room during colder months.

The trick is to not waste labor overhunting or overfarming. 3 rice tiles per colonist will usually feed everybody. Get some corn growing in another plot for long term food, and only make enough meals to feed everyone for two days, as others have said. Hunt sparingly to gap fill when your grower is distracted, don't butcher stuff until it's almost rotten.

Also consider not playing baseliners, or playing an ideoligion that makes food less of a hassle. Pigskins can just eat raw food, nobody has to cook. Some ideos can be just fine with cannibalism without being sad if they can't get human flesh. Undergrounders have year-round access to nutrifungus and insect meat/jelly.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i kinda want to make a xenotype based on the fleshmass monsters. i did the art for the taukai guys from Alpha Genes and theyd probably work rpetty well for fleshmass dudes.

Starting with two tentacle arms and a full suite of fleshmass organs would only be improved by watching a colonist explode into a trio of babies when shot.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

worm girl posted:

If you're not in the tropics, you can dig a room that's entirely under overhead mountain roofs and stick a couple of passive coolers in it. In a temperate map this is enough to refrigerate or even freeze the room during colder months.

This must be some sort of mod, normally passive coolers can’t lower the temperature below 17C.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I tend to play without refrigeration for several years to get more efficient use of my early game steel and power. It's pretty easy with a vegetable based diet but you can fit in meat as well.

• Spoil timers are based on when item is created, so you can squeeze a couple extra days by waiting to butcher a corpse. It's too much micromanagement for my taste however so I don't bother with it, even with the option of using thresholds on the butchering bill. I'd rather make sure I get the leather even if the meat ends up spoiling.
  • Spoil timers are averaged when new items are merged into a stack, so old meals won't spoil if you keep merging new meals into it. This is where having both meat and veggies in your diet can cause issues, since pawns won't merge vegetarian and carnivore meals and they might skip grabbing meals out of the stack not being replenished. If your meals target and suspend threshold is set up properly though you're probably fine.
  • Vanilla stack size is 10 for meals, and a baseliner eats two meals a day as a general rule. That means if you keep 2-3x your pawn count in meals you should be safe from accidental spoilage up to about 8 or so pawns. Once you get past two stacks of meals on hand you're starting to get risky due to unpredictable stack selection logic however and it's probably time to think about investing in a freezer.
  • Cooks will grab the nearest food first when cooking, so I keep a 1x1 shelf of meat and other short shelf life products at critical priority next to the stove. This generally works fine unattended since there's going to be someone cooking daily, but if there's a particularly large influx of meat from a manhunter attack or something I may have to manually order some extra meals.
  • Don't try to make multiple meal qualities (simple + fine, etc.) for different purposes (e.g. prisoners) on hand without a freezer because colonists will obviously skip the simple stuff and it'll spoil.
  • Packaged survival meals don't need refrigeration and is quick to research. It's not the most efficient way to make use of nutrition if your food supply is tight but if you have more meat than you know what to do with it's fine, and makes a reliable trade good too.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Isn't there a trick with a door and coolers?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Mzbundifund posted:

This must be some sort of mod, normally passive coolers can’t lower the temperature below 17C.

I don't have many mods going and none that would affect that. Maybe the natural mountain temp on my map reaches refrigerator level without help for parts of the year.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

ccubed posted:

Isn't there a trick with a door and coolers?

air lock configuration and double walls to prevent spoilage during extended eclipses or flares

also if you pick a colder biome, vents that open to lower power demands

marumaru
May 20, 2013

really wish spread the word was updated :(

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The colony grows, poorly. Thankfully I managed to scrape together enough metal to make prosthetic arms, because without those two of my colonists would be hosed. (And I somehow only have 7 at this point, still!)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

worm girl posted:

Starting with two tentacle arms and a full suite of fleshmass organs would only be improved by watching a colonist explode into a trio of babies when shot.

i'm torn between having them be able to infect people with the xenotype, reproducing asexually, or aliens-style infecting people with an embryo. it seems like the fleshmass monsters can infect people with attacks so pretty much any of them could be thematic

there's also a flesh style in Alpha Memes so maybe i could make them like a breakaway mutant faction of the overall fleshmass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

vanilla achievements has been updated, and there's finally a mode to disable the "rewards" you could buy with achievements: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2288125657

quote:

Updated for RimWorld 1.5
Removed: ImmunityHediffTracker, as it was the only one that had obvious performance impact, and it was only used for 1 achievement
Removed: DevModeTracker. You will now get no penalties from getting any achievement in dev mode. You do you. Cards will also not say "unlocked via dev mode" anymore
Removed: custom tracker system, but included the functionality of some of the custom trackers on the main mod
Added: 16 new trackers for new functionality, including things related to DLCs
Added: mod option to remove rewards being purchased with achievement points (rewardless mode)
Added: mod option to collate mod tabs, so if you use many achievement adding mods the list of tabs doesn't grow to absurd levels
Added: 65 new achievements, 18 of them for base game, the rest are DLC related
Added: new system where Anomaly related achievements show up as hidden until the player reaches a given Monolith level, to avoid spoilers
Tweak: lots of fields added to the existing trackers, such as counting only slaves, counting quality on items, etc
Fix: Temporary colonists shouldn't count towards population achievements now