Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Canned Sunshine posted:

Didn’t Bloomberg (Gurman) say though that we wouldn’t see M4s in the Mac Studio and Mac Pro until 2025 though? I think also it was that they’d be skipping updates this year on the Studio and MP and waiting until next year.

I really hope that isn't true, I've got two macs I wanna replace with AS ones and my 2018 mini is getting really long in the tooth now but it seems silly to buy an M2 Studio to replace it especially now M4 has been announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I’ve just replaced the battery on my 2017 MacBook Pro and neither the trackpad nor the keyboard are responding on the login screen, are there any fixes I can try? I’ve tried resetting the NVRAM and the SMC which were both mentioned as possible fixes but no luck, and I’m pretty sure Apple Support won’t be any use since I did the replacement myself (and the MacBook’s way out of warranty anyway).

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Julio Cruz posted:

I’ve just replaced the battery on my 2017 MacBook Pro and neither the trackpad nor the keyboard are responding on the login screen, are there any fixes I can try? I’ve tried resetting the NVRAM and the SMC which were both mentioned as possible fixes but no luck, and I’m pretty sure Apple Support won’t be any use since I did the replacement myself (and the MacBook’s way out of warranty anyway).

You very likely loosened the ribbon cables. I’d start by taking it back apart and checking that all again.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plug in a USB keyboard and mouse. If it works then it’s your ribbon cable as mentioned above.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Also depending on how you did it, like if you didn't take the board all the way out, you can knock off components

Oh apple

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

TheBacon posted:

You very likely loosened the ribbon cables. I’d start by taking it back apart and checking that all again.

definitely plausible, one of them was a right bastard to get connected again. hopefully it’s just loose and I didn’t damage it

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Forgive me but I've come to engage in some wishful thinking. Apple have said that the new iPad Pro needed to have the M4 because the M4 is specifically capable of driving the tandem OLED display. So, if they're doing display engine updates, is it slightly less of a pipe dream than usual that we may see some slight improvements to external display support on M4 Macs?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have personal AirPods and a work MBP. I keep my personal and professional devices expressly separate, but I do want to avoid carrying around two pairs of airpods for calls/etc.

The Airpods are obviously linked to my personal Apple ID. If I pair them manually (case sync button) to a device with another Apple ID, does that mess up my original pairing at all? As in, I’d prefer my personal airpods not consider the work device an auto-connect device, or to mess up auto-connecting to my existing fleet of Tim Apple gadgets.

I could very easily answer this myself, apologies, but I don’t have my work device on me today, and googling doesn’t seem to say much about using it with a device owned by an existing/different AppleID.

Just wondering if anyone knows off hand. Else I’ll try tomorrow and I guess report back?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I am in a similar situation except my work MBP does not have any appleid associated with it. It works pretty seamlessly from my experience, occasionally I will have to select the correct audio source in the menu bar of the mac or my phone, but generally it will reconnect to what I last told it to connect to which is my phone. It will ‘connect’ to anything it has paired with that is on and active, but you have to tell that device to use the airpods as the audio source to actually get it to connect connect. As to your concern, there are time where they decide that since I have just been taking calls to activate the audio source on my laptop when I want my phone but it really is trivial to tell the phone to use the airpods as audio source.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Fedule posted:

Forgive me but I've come to engage in some wishful thinking. Apple have said that the new iPad Pro needed to have the M4 because the M4 is specifically capable of driving the tandem OLED display. So, if they're doing display engine updates, is it slightly less of a pipe dream than usual that we may see some slight improvements to external display support on M4 Macs?

It'd be nice, but I'm skeptical, given the history of external display support relative to when they made the jump to Retina, HDR, etc. I think any improvements would be because it also improves their own displays and results in a complementary benefit to external displays.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

First M4 benchmarks are leaking and :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/VadimYuryev/status/1788324153797615687

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TheBacon posted:

I am in a similar situation except my work MBP does not have any appleid associated with it. It works pretty seamlessly from my experience, occasionally I will have to select the correct audio source in the menu bar of the mac or my phone, but generally it will reconnect to what I last told it to connect to which is my phone. It will ‘connect’ to anything it has paired with that is on and active, but you have to tell that device to use the airpods as the audio source to actually get it to connect connect. As to your concern, there are time where they decide that since I have just been taking calls to activate the audio source on my laptop when I want my phone but it really is trivial to tell the phone to use the airpods as audio source.

Killer info, thank you!

To be honest everything else was secondary to “will this unpair from my personal appleID” and that sounds like it’s not the case. If it auto-reconnects to the work device that’s something I can easily live with. Cheers!

E: Actually I might have misremembered. My Mac might not have any AppleID at all. My work /phone/ has a work Apple ID but I’m not planning on using that phone at all. So I’m exactly in your situation.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

It is faster then the M3 Pro 12 core in many things but people also pointed out that Geekbench 6.3 added support for Arm Scalable Matrix Extensions (SME) instructions which may account for a bunch of the speed increase. I have no clue if this person is telling the truth but per their analysis all of the speed increases are due to that. Either way it seems like Apple is quickly moving on from the M3 line.
https://x.com/negativeonehero/status/1788360191471431919

edit: I also did a comparison of one of them to my 12-core M3 Pro and while single core is faster multi-core isn't. https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/compare/6021405?baseline=6025843

editx2: looks like they updated their analysis and there is ~3% IPC increase. My bad for not looking for an updated tweet from last night.
https://x.com/negativeonehero/status/1788364108737466609

god this blows fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 9, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gimme dat GPU benchmark now!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

god this blows posted:

It is faster then the M3 Pro 12 core in many things but people also pointed out that Geekbench 6.3 added support for Arm Scalable Matrix Extensions (SME) instructions which may account for a bunch of the speed increase. I have no clue if this person is telling the truth but per their analysis all of the speed increases are due to that. Either way it seems like Apple is quickly moving on from the M3 line.
https://x.com/negativeonehero/status/1788360191471431919

edit: I also did a comparison of one of them to my 12-core M3 Pro and while single core is faster multi-core isn't. https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/compare/6021405?baseline=6025843

editx2: looks like they updated their analysis and there is ~3% IPC increase. My bad for not looking for an updated tweet from last night.
https://x.com/negativeonehero/status/1788364108737466609

Thanks for the additional information! So it looks like M4 is going to be largely M3 + additional/improved NPU cores, maybe with a slight increase in CPU and GPU core counts for the Pro/Max/Ultra (if they do an Ultra, which I assume they will). Which makes sense, since M4 would be on a TSMC N3E I believe, compared to M3's N3B.

Edit: That M4 (4p6e core) vs M3 Pro (6p6e) comparison is pretty useful, since I'd expect some additional uplift once you equalize out the performance cores.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 9, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Not me grumbling that the new iPad Pro out performs my 14" M3 Pro MacBook Pro for less money.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Branch Nvidian posted:

Not me grumbling that the new iPad Pro out performs my 14" M3 Pro MacBook Pro for less money.

yeah i guess all those geekbench benchies you run on your mbp will look anemic in comparison

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

yeah i guess all those geekbench benchies you run on your mbp will look anemic in comparison

EXACTLY! :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:
this thing is practically useless garbage now!

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

Hey, I just got my M3 Pro MacBook Pro a month or so ago so I feel your pain. While I do agree this one benchmark makes it seem bad I'm holding out for other tests to see what the real performance difference is.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

Thanks for the additional information! So it looks like M4 is going to be largely M3 + additional/improved NPU cores, maybe with a slight increase in CPU and GPU core counts for the Pro/Max/Ultra (if they do an Ultra, which I assume they will). Which makes sense, since M4 would be on a TSMC N3E I believe, compared to M3's N3B.

Edit: That M4 (4p6e core) vs M3 Pro (6p6e) comparison is pretty useful, since I'd expect some additional uplift once you equalize out the performance cores.

I would be interested to see how an M4 Pro would fare against it. I'm not sure when that one might be coming out. A little annoying that they released the M4 so quickly but I just have to tell myself the laptop was the best I could get when I needed one. My power-supply was failing on an older machine and I had more of a need for a laptop than a desktop so I bought it. I figured April was a decent time as there was no way Apple was going to release the M4 before September... Boy was I wrong.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

god this blows posted:

I would be interested to see how an M4 Pro would fare against it. I'm not sure when that one might be coming out. A little annoying that they released the M4 so quickly but I just have to tell myself the laptop was the best I could get when I needed one. My power-supply was failing on an older machine and I had more of a need for a laptop than a desktop so I bought it. I figured April was a decent time as there was no way Apple was going to release the M4 before September... Boy was I wrong.

I mean, people are still generally happy with their M1s. Unless you need that extra processing power to cut down the time it takes to create something, it's largely still great and high performance with incredible battery life.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
No complaints about my 14” M1 Pro speedwise. They made it too good

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Kibner posted:

I mean, people are still generally happy with their M1s. Unless you need that extra processing power to cut down the time it takes to create something, it's largely still great and high performance with incredible battery life.

I honestly would've been fine with an M1 or M2 machine but got the M3 as it was the "best" I could get at the time. I'm actually not that upset as there will always be something better released. This machine is more than adequate for my use and will be for a decent bit of time. The quality of life improvement from changing from a desktop to a laptop has been worth the cost already. My work machine is a M1 Pro and I barely make that thing break a sweat and I'm in the application security space so I'm compiling code and doing various tests against things.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It does make people like me in the market for a Mac Studio slightly wary.

Buying an M2 Max right now seems, uh- not great!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeast posted:

It does make people like me in the market for a Mac Studio slightly wary.

Buying an M2 Max right now seems, uh- not great!

hopefully you're waiting for WWDC before buying one, since I think there's still a decent chance that a refreshed Studio (but now with M4) debuts then

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Branch Nvidian posted:

At least the MacBook has a calculator app.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

At least the MacBook has a calculator app.

but this fall!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Kibner posted:

Concur, I have a 13” M1 MBP for work and the thing is still doing everything I ask of it while lasting all day on battery if needed. The only potential upside would be the multimonitor support so I wouldn’t have to use DisplayLink to run 2 external monitors in clamshell, but I have zero desires for more performance.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Branch Nvidian posted:

The iPad can't dissipate the heat though. It may outperform, but for how long?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TheBacon posted:

Concur, I have a 13” M1 MBP for work and the thing is still doing everything I ask of it while lasting all day on battery if needed. The only potential upside would be the multimonitor support so I wouldn’t have to use DisplayLink to run 2 external monitors in clamshell, but I have zero desires for more performance.

Shouldn't a macbook pro be able to run 2 external monitors anyway? I get confused with the specifics of how they're nerfed.

But agreed about M1 performance, I have no plans to change my M1 14-incher, it's still excellent.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My 16" M1 is actually starting to chug a little when I'm coding but that seems to have started fairly abruptly just a couple months ago, and I feel like I crossed some threshold where I have more than N PyCharm projects open at all times. Seems like it must be a RAM thing more than anything, but the profiler thingy says I still have plenty of headroom (2GB unused out of 6GB allocated to the app, 32 total).

(N=8)

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

Shouldn't a macbook pro be able to run 2 external monitors anyway? I get confused with the specifics of how they're nerfed.

But agreed about M1 performance, I have no plans to change my M1 14-incher, it's still excellent.

Dependent on cpu, the base M1 cpu needs the daisychain solution to support two external monitors, an M1 Pro cpu can do it fine as an example.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah there’s the weird 13-inch mbp sku that’s historically been computationally more like an air than the rest of the pro lineup

iirc it was their most popular model (or nearly) because of university students buying it but i’d be surprised if that still holds true

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

knox_harrington posted:

Only with a ‘pro’ or better chip, standard chips only officially support 1 external monitor, even in clamshell.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

TheBacon posted:

Only with a ‘pro’ or better chip, standard chips only officially support 1 external monitor, even in clamshell.

They fixed that with the M3 and now you can get two external displays in clamshell.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Canned Sunshine posted:

They fixed that with the M3 and now you can get two external displays in clamshell.

Well loving finally I am not sure how I missed that feature but sure enough right there in tech specs now. I guess time to pester work to buy me a new one ha.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Canned Sunshine posted:

hopefully you're waiting for WWDC before buying one, since I think there's still a decent chance that a refreshed Studio (but now with M4) debuts then

yeah won't be buying until at least WWDC, but I'd also be pretty surprised if M4 Max and ultra chips are ready to go.

Although if you'd said m4 was shipping next week in iPads before the event I'd have been sceptical as hell too, so hey :shrug:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I was a repair tech when the touchpad MacBook Pros came out. Leaving aside the godawful wireless antenna and it's legion of tine screws, the power connector was an insanely bad design decision. On the Retina MBPs, the power connector to the logic board was a substantial connector that you popped out of the board with a thumbnail. On the touchpads it was a flexgate connector; the kind where you have a flat ribbon cable that goes into a slot and is locked in place by flipping down a locking gate. That gate was loving flimsy. Opening one of those laptops had a minimum of two chances of killing the laptop, and in my shop, you did NOT want the boss to see you ordering a new top case because you broke the power connector. I never had to, but one laptop did go out with tape on that connector.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Mac Hardware - Sweaty hole in my trackpad condom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Is Apple really going whole hog on ChatGPT AI scam nonsense? Because that is not the path.