Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Here are some additional Nemty facts. You aren't going to find these facts anywhere else on the Internet. It's possible that I've made some of them up.

• Nemty really likes oranges -- not the color, but the fruit.
  • Nemty also likes turquoise -- not the stone, but the color.
  • He does not like orange the color, nor turquoise the stone.
  • Some Deities can be characterized as sociable, or even chatty. Nemty is neither.
  • But he's a hard worker, who takes his job very seriously.
  • He likes finely woven cloth. It doesn't need to be fancy, or expensive; what matters is the craftsmanship.
  • He likes linen best.
  • He might like satin least.
  • He likes raw wood, and also woody scents: frankincense, palo santo, sandalwood.
  • He likes crows. There are no Egyptian Crow Gods, but I think if he did it again he might choose to be the first, and associate himself with crows rather than hawks.
  • He likes Astarte.
  • He does not like Set.
  • I don't know who he would play in Super Smash Brothers. I was going to say Sonic, because he's blue, and always on the move. But those gold rings might be a problem...

Halfway to a Dwarf Fortress description there.

Gods of conveyance and travel are always fun, the working gods, usually with a ton of quirks and miscellaneous domains, see Hermes.

Also he'd probably main Isabelle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

anty bravely helped ferry the kids across the yard with offerings of oatmeal cookie bits

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/forecaster25/status/1788910484231438842

between this and the total eclipse, the sun is just straight up showing off for the northeastern us specifically

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Yeah, the sun has been vibing powerfully lately.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Make sure you start/continue your sun worship all my sunworker friends out there :sun:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

photosynthesizers, we hear you

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Squizzle posted:

photosynthesizers, we hear you
Hell yeah. I physically see them lately too. There has been so much sun and rain around me that the plants are growing very rapidly. You love to see it.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Luckily it seems the sun is not only showing off to the northeast US!

https://twitter.com/ThePlanetaryGuy/status/1789073433952694531

And Australia Borealis too!

https://twitter.com/ezeferrero/status/1789074786066333765

https://twitter.com/kickthepj/status/1789072893441114555

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/robertmsterling/status/1789301776849531098

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

I fuckin love Lupin III

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
just read lolly willowes and it made me think of this thread. it's pretty good

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Eternal Darkness voice posted:

Xel'lotath pargon pargon pargon pargon narokath santak pargon
A useful spell for warding off bad posting, in yourself and among others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

tristeham posted:

just read lolly willowes and it made me think of this thread. it's pretty good

My most recent fiction reading was "Middlegame" which was also pretty good. People are trying to achieve control over The-Powers-That-Be and The-Way-Things-Are, as they do; in this particular case by trying to get those cosmic powers to incarnate into human children. The Doctrine of Ethos is the most powerful and desirable power of reality, but due to its profundity putting the Ethos into children just kept breaking them; so it was split into two halves, Logos and Pathos, instead.

quote:

“The difficulty of the Doctrine is its size. When placed inside the mind, there’s no room for humanity. We believe that by splitting the Doctrine into its component parts—mathematics and language—we can create a gestalt of sorts. Two people who will embody the concepts we’re attempting to harness, but whose abilities will be limited enough when separated that they will remain pliable and easy to control.”

The two children created to house the Doctrine are kept apart but keep finding one another via deep psychic connection. One embodies pure language, and the other pure mathematics. It's on Kindle Unlimited if you have that service. I really liked it. There's a sequel too but I did not read that one, Middlegame had the feel of a novel inspired and the sequels to those really inspired books are never quite as good