Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Grand Fromage posted:

Was the meat eaten afterwards? Generally, yeah. In all situations I'm aware of it was a free feast for all attending, not just the priests.

Not super confident on this but my vague impression is the food used for ancestral rites, at least in Joseon, was in fact left there traditionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its projecting the current state of western christianity backwards. yeah, televangelists are absolutely cynical scammers, but that wasn't true even a millennium ago, let alone 3. hell, it was materially less true 2 centuries ago

Reading about Anglo-Saxon Christianity and how they attempted (and frequently succeeded) to collect massive tracts of lands and enrich themselves is fairly well documented. I doubt humans have ever changed much in how they attempt to enrich themselves. That’s only 1300 years ago.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Crab Dad posted:

Reading about Anglo-Saxon Christianity and how they attempted (and frequently succeeded) to collect massive tracts of lands and enrich themselves is fairly well documented. I doubt humans have ever changed much in how they attempt to enrich themselves. That’s only 1300 years ago.
They certainly did try to enrich themselves. They also, generally speaking, believed the stuff they said they believed. There were doubtless varying levels of intensity of belief, of course.

I think that construing capital punishment as some kind of oblique human ritual sacrifice requires a lot more contortion than "many people believe it to be morally important to execute criminals." I fundamentally disagree, but the question is: What would the capitally-punished individuals be sacrificed to? Most of these human sacrifice rituals make it incredibly clear what the intended purpose of the offering is.

I do think you could make a case, given that capital punishment (at least in the West) is extremely slow, extremely complex, and extremely expensive as well as having no discernible deterrent effect, that it's a big sort of potlach or (ironically) virtue signal: "we're willing to pay this price to prove we do, in fact, hate criminals (as we have constituted them) so much we will kill a few of them at profound expense, rather than shoving them into the forced-labor machine to produce more friedman units. This is important to us as an expression of our cultural views."

Otherwise, I imagine most capital punishment was in large part because if the guy's dead, he sure isn't going to steal anything any more. Of course, this has its own problems. I don't remember which one but I think at least one Chinese dynasty began when an official leading prisoners was delayed by a flood, and, realizing that the penalty for being late to an official event was in fact the death penalty, looked at his prisoners and said, "Nothing to lose, let's be bandits." Some time later: New dynasty.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
liu bang, the han, convoluted with chen shang's story

chen shang was the one who said "ah gently caress it lateness is death, rebellion is death, lets rebel against the qin" and started a rebellion with wu guang. liu bang was a completely separate rebel against the qin who decided to rebel because some prisoners escaped and letting prisoners escape was death. only liu bang actually won, lol

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 9, 2024

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I think there is a nugget of truth in the comparison of Shang or Aztec-style mass sacrifice and violent public executions or auto da fe. They're both public violence enacted for spiritual reasons, to strengthen in-group and out-group boundaries, and to reaffirm the rightful hierarchy of society.

That isn't to say they're exactly the same, but I definitely think there is less ground between the Spanish Inquisition and the Flower Wars than the conquistadors would have us believe.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

Not super confident on this but my vague impression is the food used for ancestral rites, at least in Joseon, was in fact left there traditionally.

zhu xi (juhwe in korean) had an excruciatingly detailed manual saying you eat it. from the 1991 ebrey translation:

zhu xi, rituals posted:

Eat the leftovers.

This day the presiding man supervises the division of the sacrificial foods. A small amount of each type is put in boxes, which are sealed along with wine. He sends a servant with letters to take these boxes to relatives and friends. Next, feasts are laid out for the men and women in separate areas. For the men, the senior generation forms a single line, facing south, with the most honored place in the middle of the room and lower ones to the east and west. If there is only one man in the senior generation, he sits in the middle. Every- one else, in order, is across from each other, half facing east, the others west.

The most senior man takes his seat, then all the other men stand in order, each generation in a separate row, with the most senior of that generation to the east. These men all bow twice. A representative of the sons and younger brothers, the most senior of them, steps slightly forward. One attendant takes a decanter and stands on his right while another takes a cup and saucer and stands on his left. The representative inserts his plaque and kneels.

He accepts the decanter, pours the wine, returns the decanter, and takes the cup. The liturgist says: The worship service is over. The ancestors had an excellent repast. I would wish such-type relative to receive fully the five blessings, preserve his agnates, and benefit his family.

this is like half a page from a 25-page instruction manual, basically, on how to do sacrifices to the ancestors. whole rest of the book is a boring-rear end instruction manual on how to do whatever rites. normative practice of confucian rites is not really unknown, it's documented excruciatingly

you do have a waiting period where the ancestors have at it

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 9, 2024

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh, so I'm probably just wrong but I heard there used to be a problem with pests eating the ancestral food, so people started just eating it. Maybe it was just that people left it out for less time than they used to before eating it rather than there not being any eating at all.

FishFood posted:

I think there is a nugget of truth in the comparison of Shang or Aztec-style mass sacrifice and violent public executions or auto da fe. They're both public violence enacted for spiritual reasons, to strengthen in-group and out-group boundaries, and to reaffirm the rightful hierarchy of society.

That isn't to say they're exactly the same, but I definitely think there is less ground between the Spanish Inquisition and the Flower Wars than the conquistadors would have us believe.

I think it's an interesting mental exercise that encourages us to reevaluate our priors about both subjects.
I don't think it holds up all the way to the end of the line of argument though, yeah.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gaius Marius posted:

If God wanted us to swim he'd have given us fins.

That's why He put so many lakes in Finland.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why don’t we consider crucifixion to be a form of human sacrifice.

Because the victim is not ostensibly given to a god ?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

euphronius posted:

With the exception of good old Jimmy C, who were crucified people being offered to?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yea but that seems like an arbitrary distinction to justify or criticize state execution .

Also gods may have been invoked by the magistrate during the crucifixion process anyway

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

euphronius posted:

People are raised to think of justice and the state/body politic as“abstractions” or “values” rather than gods. Pay no attention to that woman behind the blindfold

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

euphronius posted:

Yea but that seems like an arbitrary distinction to justify or criticize state execution .

Also gods may have been invoked by the magistrate during the crucifixion process anyway
I am definitely not in favor of state execution of anyone ever, lol, just to be clear.

This seems to be mostly starting from the premise of "state executions are a form of human sacrifice" and working back from there to justify that view. This may have rhetorical or persuasive value, but I do not think that it is literally true. We have a pretty good idea why, for instance, the Aztecs were doing human sacrifice. You can understand it as a system of power relations that reinforced the prestige and supremacy of the central Aztec group, and I imagine that some Aztec leadership was aware of that, if perhaps not in so many words: but the immediate reason was due to their suite of religious beliefs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

I am definitely not in favor of state execution of anyone ever, lol, just to be clear.

This seems to be mostly starting from the premise of "state executions are a form of human sacrifice" and working back from there to justify that view. This may have rhetorical or persuasive value, but I do not think that it is literally true. We have a pretty good idea why, for instance, the Aztecs were doing human sacrifice. You can understand it as a system of power relations that reinforced the prestige and supremacy of the central Aztec group, and I imagine that some Aztec leadership was aware of that, if perhaps not in so many words: but the immediate reason was due to their suite of religious beliefs.

“Religious beliefs” being something clearly distinct from the state is not a given. It is a very characteristic modern-liberal-democracy way of looking at the situation to say “religion is over here, and the power relations of the political elite are over there.”

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

euphronius posted:

Yes. Taking the biblical story at face value, Jesus was executed for crimes (fomenting rebellion or whatever), with a pair of thieves being executed by the same means alongside him at the same time. Romans were big believers in capital punishment and carried it out in a variety of horrifying forms, with part of the intent being to shock and frighten people and keep them from commiting crimes.

They also, under much rarer circumstances, practiced human sacrifice, notably when Hannibal was at his most threatening, as described above. They explictly viewed this as a different act than execution for crimes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kylaer posted:

. They explictly viewed this as a different act than execution for crimes.

That is my point. I know some Romans did but is that meaningful and is it enough evidence to support the broader conclusion “Romans were against human sacrifice”

To make my position clear: I don’t think Roman’s general stance on human sacrifice is knowable . To the extent it is, it seems contradictory. In addition criticism of say Carthage for engaging in the act do not seem credible due to their political motivation. The claims about Carthage seem to come from a very very small and specific group of people anyway (Senator class)

euphronius fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 9, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

skasion posted:

“Religious beliefs” being something clearly distinct from the state is not a given. It is a very characteristic modern-liberal-democracy way of looking at the situation to say “religion is over here, and the power relations of the political elite are over there.”
Sure, it all blurs together. We can even see this right now in the modern day. But to me it just comes back to: the simpler way of looking at it, is to assume that they mean what they say. As the other guy just said, the Romans considered these separate categories of action. Were the Romans wrong, or lying to themselves, or what?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Nessus posted:

This seems to be mostly starting from the premise of "state executions are a form of human sacrifice" and working back from there to justify that view.

It is a view I like to make in my class when we talk about it in a big debate about human sacrifice every year.

and then all the kids get mad at me

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Even today we see people in the political class make baseless and hypocritical distinctions and criticisms of other countries actions. Looks at American ruling class criticisms of China for example. I don’t think it would be proper to base your understanding of Americans or China based on what American politicians say about China but we seem to (not all the time) base a lot or out understanding of Rome and Carthage (for example ) based on what roman politicians say

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

It is a view I like to make in my class when we talk about it in a big debate about human sacrifice every year.

and then all the kids get mad at me
right, like I don't think this is somehow wrong or bad to explore, I just do not think it is literally true. I could be persuaded, but the line of evidence seems to be 'in both cases, there is killing of people.' Killing is killing, but if you are examining things on a larger basis, the motives do matter. Is tolerating increased but unpredictable risk of death a form of sacrifice as well, since in a large population, you can actually say 'policy X will kill about N people per year, policy Y will kill 2.1xN people per year'?

euphronius posted:

Even today we see people in the political class make baseless and hypocritical distinctions and criticisms of other countries actions. Looks at American ruling class criticisms of China for example. I don’t think it would be proper to base your understanding of Americans or China based on what American politicians say about China but we seem to (not all the time) base a lot or out understanding of Rome and Carthage (for example ) based on what roman politicians say
Most of this seems to be about stuff being done inside of a particular polity which seems like it's going to be approached differently than criticisms of other states. I'm not sure what the present consensus about Carthaginan human sacrifice is, but what I dimly recall is: While it was probably known it was not exactly the open-air baby-incinerating pit that historical propaganda describes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think there is any strong physical evidence of Carthage human sacrifice.

They found the bodies of children but I don’t know what that shows.

I have not looked into it for awhile maybe there is new finds

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

euphronius posted:

I don’t think there is any strong physical evidence of Carthage human sacrifice.

They found the bodies of children but I don’t know what that shows.

I have not looked into it for awhile maybe there is new finds

You might want to track down the journals referenced in this 2014 article https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jan/21/carthaginians-sacrificed-own-children-study

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not clicking on a British tabloid link but if it is what I suspect, that is a erroneously confident conclusion from definitively ambiguous evidence

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

euphronius posted:

To make my position clear: I don’t think Roman’s general stance on human sacrifice is knowable . To the extent it is, it seems contradictory.

There is substantial evidence of the Romans' general stance, and it is "In case of dire emergency, break glass and start sacrificing people." This is not contradictory to their belief that the Carthaginians' alleged widespread human sacrifices were unacceptable.

It is very similar to holding the viewpoint "The executions that followed the Nuremberg trials were morally acceptable, but widespread use of capital punishment as the Romans practiced it is horrifying."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nuremberg is an excellent example. If your conclusion from Nuremberg is that the west has a taboo against war crimes and genocide, you would be 100% wrong.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

euphronius posted:

Nuremberg is an excellent example. If your conclusion from Nuremberg is that the west has a taboo against war crimes and genocide, you would be 100% wrong.
Surely 100% is underselling it. Go for at least 300% or you’re just excusing them. :v:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

euphronius posted:

I’m not clicking on a British tabloid link but if it is what I suspect, that is a erroneously confident conclusion from definitively ambiguous evidence

I appreciate your commitment towards not learning anything. https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...391B766C95ECBE1

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ulmont posted:

I appreciate your commitment towards not learning anything. https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...391B766C95ECBE1

I don’t agree with the conclusions .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nessus posted:

Surely 100% is underselling it. Go for at least 300% or you’re just excusing them. :v:

Please this is a serious topic .

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

euphronius posted:

Are you even reading what people are replying to you or are you just trolling?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius, child sacrifice was obviously a part of Phoenician culture, there’s loads of sources from antiquity that say so and also there’s cemeteries full of dead baby urns with “sacrificed to the gods” stamped on em. Cmon

Nessus posted:

Sure, it all blurs together. We can even see this right now in the modern day. But to me it just comes back to: the simpler way of looking at it, is to assume that they mean what they say. As the other guy just said, the Romans considered these separate categories of action. Were the Romans wrong, or lying to themselves, or what?

They do mean what they say, but we have to examine what they meant. I don’t doubt that the record of Roman feelings about human sacrifice involves some element of self-deception or plain error, these are human beings we’re talking about here, but the reason why I try to look at the primary sources here is to see, so far as I can, what exactly the Roman moralists are trying to convey about human sacrifice. And what I see is that it’s an effort, by no means wholeheartedly convincing even to the Romans in question, to distinguish our ways from their ways. They are constructing a worldview in which other nations can be reviled for unreasonable barbaric practices which we, lawful, civilized and rational in our relationship with the gods, would never do…would we? Of course it doesn’t occur to elite authors of the high empire to take this further and pick at the foundations of the games, or of justice.

Later Romans who had a different relationship to the culture of the empire transformed this question to construct a new worldview. Paul writes of Christ as “our Passover lamb, sacrificed for us”. In Latin “immolatus”, literally “sprinkled with meal” the way an animal is before it is sacrificed in traditional religion. People who had not previously accepted the rationale of Roman justice came to see the hand of God moving the state to kill once again. Does that mean we can start sacrificing humans? No, definitely not! In fact, we ought to take it a step further and ban gladiatorial shows and sacrificial temples altogether, since they promulgate wickedness and threaten public order. And if anyone doesn’t like it, let him be stricken with the avenging sword.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

What does this mean? "The West" at present definitely has a strong taboo against war crimes and genocide. We don't always agree on what constitutes war crimes and genocide and we have clearly broken that taboo on many occasions but that does not mean the taboo does not exist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Any expansion on the idea that Romans considered human sacrifice to be a thing they did to appease cthonic gods, not heavenly ones? Because that does seem like an interesting nuance given Greco-Roman religion iirc tended more towards treating Hades and co. as facts of life but not beings to be invoked casually, to the point where they would very rarely call them directly by name because a living mortal rarely has any good reason to invoke the attention of the god of the dead.

Kinda funny given I absolutely get the comparisons given how many examples past and present we have of states executing people for effectively symbolic and superstitious reasons, but I think there definitely is a difference from flat out religious human sacrifice as practiced- as with the Shang dynasty example above, the difference is that a human sacrifice assigns value to the life of the victim, typically, and involves an elaborate process of selecting and obtaining the captive, even in cases like the Aztecs where they're captives of war, wars waged specifically to obtain them no less. I don't know if you see many 'any body will do' human sacrifices where a criminal already condemned by the state authority is used for a sacrifice, though I'm sure it's happened. (the Discworld joke of how failing to volunteer for sacrifice is a capital offense comes to mind) And I can also see how, like in that example, it becomes very unsustainable to do regularly, because people might accept it as a response to dire times- hell, you might even get volunteers- but if it's every year then it makes more and more enemies every time, and they'll look for any excuse to get rid of the people who insist on doing it.

Christianity is a fun one given the crucifixion is seen as an importantly unique example of the Son of God effectively offering himself as a sacrifice in the name of men, flipping the script in a game-changing act, and creating new symbolic rituals to practice that evoke sacrifice. Effectively co-opting a state execution in one of those fun metaphor-mixing ways.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 9, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

are you gonna go off about i/p or sudan or xinjiang or something now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

are you gonna go off about i/p or sudan or xinjiang or something now

Hey now, there's The Jakarta Method.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ghost Leviathan posted:

everyone should read The Jakarta Method

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ooh, could be going off about the cia, yeah

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorry, I'm still hung up on the Forum Boarium, this is why you have to say things outloud before you name them

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Sorry, I'm still hung up on the Forum Boarium, this is why you have to say things outloud before you name them

It’ll always be “forium borium” to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Didn't the Romans - presumably Jules C - write down that the Gauls or the Celts or the Druids or whoever it was they wanted to feel better than sacrifice criminals to their gods? I feel weird about that, like, wouldn't you want to give the Gods something you see as valuable?