Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Troublemaker posted:

This kind of sounds like OP was getting the lovely end of the deal anyway. She has to pay rent and maintenance for however many years, and then get a "discounted" price on the house, but all that money goes to the brother? So I guess she's getting the house and probably putting in what would be full price for it, is but basically giving the money to her brother? I guess I don't understand the math here.
In another universe where the parents were trustworthy and assuming that the eventual price to buy the house equaled (value of house when they made this arrangement) - (total rent paid), I don't think it would necessarily be a terrible arrangement, because effectively it would be like they were just getting an interest free loan and buying the house when they started the arrangement, which might make sense if OP's parents couldn't afford to just give OP the house

(I'm assuming the house OP bought was significant less expensive and they couldn't afford to buy a house equivalent to their parents' house.)

But if OP could afford a perfectly nice house that just had a smaller yard maybe this arrangement didn't really make sense in the first place, and maybe their parents should just sell the house and figure out something else for OP's brother's family.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Funerals are for the living. Your fun engagement party/funeral idea will only fly if you have the attendees still capable of breathing on board with the idea.

Edit: and for the guy trying to use his boss as a relationship reference, getting involved in a subordinate's private life like that is a legal nightmare in the making. All sorts of poo poo that can go wrong with that.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
OP needs to dump this "friend", like, yesterday. But she shows some good spine in dealing with it.

AITAH for confronting my “best friend” about her sexting my husband in front of everyone?

quote:

First she hated my husband. She thought he was “short” and pathetic and simp. By simp she meant he loved and respected me and didn’t play games. He was so confident in himself that he told me he liked me after the third date and when he proposed, he admitted that he was in love with from our first date. I am so in love with him and her “kidding” didn’t bother me. All I did and said is that I wished her to experience real love, only then she will understand why I am with him. That was on my wedding day when she again was kidding. My sister told her that her passive aggressiveness was showing and that she wasn’t fooling anyone. The rest of the girls laughed.

For two years now she has never spoken ill about him. I was very relieved in the beginning but then I started wondering. She is too nice to him. Always complimenting his looks. She usually doesn’t even hug hello (she says she’s autistic and can’t) but now, she hugs and kisses him hi. Always sits beside him. Texts him memes and she told me that they had the same humor (they don’t). I didn’t know what to do should I say something to any of them? My husband is oblivious and I don’t want to hurt her if I was being mistaken.

Two weeks ago she sent my husband a text saying that she was in love with him. He didn’t answer her so she sent him hello? He asked her to stop because he is very uncomfortable and doesn’t reciprocate her feelings and that l loved her so she shouldn’t do this again. A week later she sent him nudes.

At that my husband told me everything. He said he wasn’t sure at first but she made a move on him a month ago then he showed me the text. I was very angry and disappointed. He told me he was blocking her now.

So last Sunday I just confronted her when we were out for dinner. It was the same usual friend group. I blurred her nude but her face and sent everyone the screenshots of what she wrote to my husband. I asked her what she thought about that and she was livid.

So basically what’s in the title. She is so angry at me, calling me an abuser and an AH. But for me, if what she was doing wasn’t wrong then she wouldn’t be ashamed of me outing her would she?
Nice try, "friend".

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

^^^
Christ, when OP said, "I wished her to experience real love, only then she will understand why I am with him," she didn't mean with her husband.

My Husband is refusing to tell me about the strange woman he and my kid talked with

quote:

So last week Friday, my (30F) Husband (32M) picked up our kid (7F) from school he always offers to do it whenever he comes back home early from work. I was checking outside the window to know when they were close so I could open the door for them as our 2 year old was asleep, so I obviously didn’t want her waking up as he knocks on the door pretty loudly, as they were about to cross the road some woman that I’ve never seen in my life just comes up to them both and started talking to him, judging from his reaction when she first appeared, he looked surprised and they chatted for about 2 minutes, judging from both of their body language it looked like they had known each other.

Afterwards, she just knelt down and talked to our daughter for a few seconds before giving her a kiss on the cheek and giving him a friendly goodbye wave. My husband had a big smile on his face, while walking towards our house. I’ll admit I was jealous because I was confused who this woman was and why she was giving our kid a kiss on the cheek.

When they both came into the house, I just straight up asked him who she was. He stayed silent for a few seconds before saying she was nobody and quickly heading upstairs, I then decided to ask our 7 year old who she was but she said to me “Daddy said I shouldn’t say” I tried asking her again what they were talking about then, but she was refusing to budge and just kept telling me that she shouldn’t say as he told her not to.

These past 4 days, I’ve been looking back at the footage on that day (we have cameras), I’ve searched his following lists on social media to try and find her but I ultimately find nothing. I know who his friends are (he has male friends, no female friends), I’ve met them before, so this interaction has just gotten me worried, especially his reaction and him telling our daughter not to say anything.

I just really need advice because I’m just really conflicted on what I should do.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
lol husband played that about as least smooth as possible

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Troublemaker posted:

My Husband is refusing to tell me about the strange woman he and my kid talked with

This is the thing in TV shows I hate where the couple has a conflict and then it just fades to black and they somehow have not kept discussing it. He only went upstairs - follow him up and talk to him until he tells you who it was. Sounds like an ex?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Red Rox posted:

This is the thing in TV shows I hate where the couple has a conflict and then it just fades to black and they somehow have not kept discussing it. He only went upstairs - follow him up and talk to him until he tells you who it was. Sounds like an ex?

It's.... nobody..... nobody.

*throws smoke bomb, disappears*

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
AITAH for telling my fiancee that she's useless in an emergency and shouldn't brag about how tough she is?

quote:

I [25m] have a child named Aimie [1f] with my fiancee Jess [24f]. We live together in one of the safest cities in the United States.

About four months ago, Jess and I were walking home at night with Aimie sleeping in her stroller. It was a suburban road that we've walked down hundreds of times. Suddenly, we heard several loud banging noises from around the corner. My first instinct was to check out where they came from, and so I jogged a couple of steps forward to peek and see what was going on. As it turns out, two teens were hitting the window of an SUV with a baseball bat. I watched them run away, get into a car, and peel out.

I turned around to see Jess, but she wasn't there. I looked back the way we came to see her about 50 yards away, running like her life depended on it. I called out to her a few times but she was obviously scared out of her mind and didn't hear me. A few minutes later I called her on her phone, and she picked up. I explained that it was just a couple of dumb kids with a baseball bat.

Jess sheepishly walked up a few minutes later and I couldn't help but laugh at her. She said that she grew up in a rough neighborhood (she did not) and mistook the sound for gunshots. I actually did grow up in a bad neighborhood and told her they sounded nothing like gunshots.

But what really stuck with me was her first instinct in an emergency was to abandon a 9-month-old baby and her fiance to fend for themselves as she protected her own hide.

Well, last night we were watching a documentary together, and there was a scene with a woman who was frozen in terror during an animal attack. Jess scoffed and said that if it were her, she would have fought back, especially if Aimie were with her. I looked at her for a few seconds and then said, "Yeah ... you don't really know what you'd do." Jess insisted that she would have fought tooth and nail against any threat against our daughter, to which I responded "Even a couple of kids breaking a car window with a baseball bat? Let's call it for what it is: you're kind of useless in an emergency."

Jess stood up, called me a dickhead, and walked away. It felt really lovely because she was victim-blaming the woman in the documentary when she showed herself to be a coward of comic proportions.

Were my words too harsh?

I feel like there was probably a better way OP could have phrased it, but he's not wrong.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"I would have fought back!"
Empirical evidence says that no, no you would not.

E: She's ashamed of her reaction and she's overcompensating hard in the other direction, I wager.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe they should watch Force Majeure next

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Wow, I hope winning that argument and getting that zinger in was worth it, idiot.

I feel like "yes dear" skipped a generation. I blame tiktok.

I think I'm becoming a boomer

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"I would have fought back!"
Empirical evidence says that no, no you would not.

E: She's ashamed of her reaction and she's overcompensating hard in the other direction, I wager.

The only possible solution is to introduce an unexpected animal attack into the relationship and evaluate accordingly

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Wow, I hope winning that argument and getting that zinger in was worth it, idiot.

I feel like "yes dear" skipped a generation. I blame tiktok.

I think I'm becoming a boomer

If they didn't have a kid I would agree but the time for posturing and puffery was before introducing a life that depends entirely on you and your actions and reactions to situations into the mix.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DoubleNegative posted:

AITAH for telling my fiancee that she's useless in an emergency and shouldn't brag about how tough she is?

I feel like there was probably a better way OP could have phrased it, but he's not wrong.

Same; at most, I personally would have stopped at "Even a couple of kids breaking a car window with a baseball bat?" but if his full statement is what it takes for her to realize she's being an Internet Tough Guy, that's what it takes.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

quote:

I [25m] have a child named Aimie

YTA

As someone with a name spelled a little weird, this sucks. Not only can the kid not count on her mom to keep her safe from teen bat attacks, she is doomed to have to correct everyone ever on the spelling of her uber basic name

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HungryMedusa posted:

YTA

As someone with a name spelled a little weird, this sucks. Not only can the kid not count on her mom to keep her safe from teen bat attacks, she is doomed to have to correct everyone ever on the spelling of her uber basic name

Maybe look up names to see if they're maybe just foreign before you talk about their "weird spelling" of an "uber basic name"...

Say what you will about the French, it's not just randomly misspelling Amy.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

Maybe look up names to see if they're maybe just foreign before you talk about their "weird spelling" of an "uber basic name"...

I did

From the Reddit post:

quote:

We live together in one of the safest cities in the United States.

My fellow Americans ain't good at spellin no foreign names

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HungryMedusa posted:

I did

From the Reddit post:

My fellow Americans ain't good at spellin no foreign names

Aimie is just French. It's not that weird, it's not a basic name spelled weird. You're projecting.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

Aimie is just French. It's not that weird, it's not a basic name spelled weird. You're projecting.

You're right - sorry. I guess I assumed someone bragging they live in a super safe US city picked an exotic spelling not because they have a connection to it but to be ~different~ in a pinterest way

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HungryMedusa posted:

You're right - sorry. I guess I assumed someone bragging they live in a super safe US city picked an exotic spelling not because they have a connection to it but to be ~different~ in a pinterest way

It's fair! If you had a bad name experience, it's hard not to look out for it in places.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Hold on, Tough Guy left the baby and jogged ahead, and Jess left the baby and ran away in the other direction?

Everyone sucks here. Including the baby, because it's being raised by morons.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If they didn't have a kid I would agree but the time for posturing and puffery was before introducing a life that depends entirely on you and your actions and reactions to situations into the mix.

I still think putting down the mother of your child to win an argument is not only tactless, but really gains nobody anything. Not sure how calling someone useless is really helping anyone.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Hold on, Tough Guy left the baby and jogged ahead, and Jess left the baby and ran away in the other direction?

I still think putting down the mother of your child to win an argument is not only tactless, but really gains nobody anything. Not sure how calling someone useless is really helping anyone.

It sounds like Jess was pushing the baby with OP walking alongside, and OP jogged "a few steps forward" (so basically still within arm's reach) to investigate while Jess bolted in the opposite direction

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I mean leaving the baby behind to delay the predators while you escape is a pretty solid strategy. It’s like lizards dropping their tail.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nerd alert

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Lone Badger posted:

I mean leaving the baby behind to delay the predators while you escape is a pretty solid strategy. It’s like lizards dropping their tail.

Yeah, at least she didn't start to devour the baby as a stress response.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Midnight Voyager posted:

The French name is Aimee, with accent in original language, without in English.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Thought this was posted in an earlier thread but google says it wasn't... Regardless even if it's a Tuesday it's from years ago and is a great story.

My [24M] girlfriend [24F] went way too far pranking her male friend [24M] and now I'm wondering if the pranks are flirtation after all.

quote:

My girlfriend of 2 years has had this male friend for a while, his name is Declan and I'm not his biggest fan but I didn't want to impede on the friendship. So she told me last week that Declan pranked her by calling her up and pretending to be Jack Nicholson with one of those soundboards, so she wants to 'get him back.' So as a 'joke' the next time we were over at his place she used his landline to call a sex hotline that charged by the minute and then just left the phone there. Declan gets charged like $200 for it.

So Declan strikes back at her again (at this point they're still just being "goofy" and I don't really mind). He comes over to her place for a party she was throwing, then hides this creepy decapitated doll in her closet. She finds it, freaks out, but then starts laughing.

Now she wants to prank Declan even harder, so she knows he's scared of clowns and she literally makes this giant paper mache clown statue that's hollow on the inside. She wants to put it in his house (apparently his roommate will let her in or something) then hide in it all night and then pop out of it as soon as he notices it.

So, I tell her this seems a little extreme but she does it anyway. Fast forward to that night. I get a call from my girlfriend because Declan apparently punched her in the face as soon as he saw her pop out of the clown thing, totally as a knee-jerk reaction because he didn't know it was her. Her nose wound up getting broken, she had to go to the hospital.

Now she's fine (although she is still wearing a splint) but she wants to continue pranking Declan. At this point should I put my foot down? She is actually getting injured and it makes me wonder if she just likes being around him so much that she is using the pranks as an excuse.

tl;dr: Girlfriend is in "prank war" with her best male friend, is it leading up to an emotional affair?
Update

quote:

Didn't think I'd have to do an update so soon after posting my OP, but here goes. first post

I talked to my girlfriend about Declan and I told her that the pranks are getting dangerous, and she is unreasonably close to a guy she's only known for such a short amount of time (she refers to him as "her brother" and her "BFF" but it's literally been 5 months).

I thought she would react in a mature way, but instead she said (almost word for word): "This is why I am always pranking Declan. At least Declan has a good sense of humor. I wouldn't even need to hang out with Declan if you weren't so uptight." So, at least now I have confirmation that she hangs out with Declan specifically because she thinks I am not good enough.

We wind up having a screaming match, and the door rings so she goes to get it. It's this guy in a giant gorilla costume, who barges in and starts humping all our furniture. Immediately I assume it's loving Declan, so I (keep in mind I was already extremely angry) punch him in the face.

He takes off the mask, it's Declan's roommate Chad. Apparently Declan paid Chad $100 to scare us in the gorilla suit as a diversion, because he was right behind Chad. While Chad was humping our furniture, Declan snuck into our bedroom and put ham underneath the mattress cover.

So I tell both of these dudes to get the gently caress out and stop pranking us. I thought I was finally standing up to Declan when finally my girlfriend tells me that the prank was "hilarious" and she's going to give me time to cool off. She leaves with Chad and Declan, and keep in mind Chad's nose is still bleeding and he's wearing the gorilla suit.

I haven't heard from her yet today, but I saw her post a picture of a bagel on Instagram this morning so I know she's awake. I still don't know where she slept last night or what happened with Declan.

I want to break up because I'm so angry but weirdly enough I still really love her (I can't help it) and I don't want to waste two years.

tl;dr: Girlfriend's annoying male friend pulled a stupid prank on us, girlfriend got mad at me for not finding it funny and left the apartment with him
Final update

quote:

Well, this is the latest one:

Here. Spread it around! I can't believe I was removed!

For those of you who don't want to read the earlier posts, my girlfriend (now ex) got way too close to her male friend Declan through an infantile prank war, whose roommate Chad facilitated some of the pranks. I also want to say THANK YOU for the helpful PMs and comments of support, I got way too many to reply to all of them, but they were all helpful.

Sorry for updating so late, a lot has happened and it was 4th of July weekend.

The night of my previous post, I broke up with my girlfriend. I told her pretty much exactly what was suggested. I even told her hat I thought her behavior with Declan was already an emotional affair if not a physical one. Not surprisingly, she flipped out at me and told me I was being emotionally abusive and controlling. She told me that every ex-boyfriend she's had has been emotionally abusive and I fall right into that category. ok. lol

Because she's only "kind of" living with me and technically not on the lease (she's just slowly been staying here more often and has a key) it was pretty easy to kick her out. I wasn't sure if she was going to return to her old roommate, who has most of her stuff (her female friend) or if she'd start living with Declan and Chad (his roommate). When I asked her if she was going to move in with Declan, she told me it was no longer my business.

Anyway, so that night I tried to relax...I was pretty upset but pretty sure in my decision to dump her, and I felt like I could start new, meet someone else, etc. Then I got a bunch of random calls on my phone from a restricted number, when I picked up nobody was there. So I turned my phone on silent, figuring this was one of her immature schemes (tbh I still don't know who did it, I'm just assuming her or Declan) and in the morning I had 60 missed calls from restricted numbers.

In the morning I actually got a text from Declan asking to come over to pick up my girlfriend's stuff. So...yes, she moved in with him. I tried to be civil because I really just wanted to get her stuff out of my apartment, but I also wanted closure, so when he got here, I just told him that his relationship with her directly influenced the breakup, and that I know they're together now.

Now, this is where things get weird. Declan looks at me- surprised- and tells me that he doesn't think my girlfriend is into him, and that he definitely isn't into her. I told him to cut the crap, that it doesn't matter anymore. He seemed to be getting anxious and panicky, so I told him to calm down, i wasn't going to hurt him, I just wanted to know the deal. Then he tells me that he knows he directly contributed to our breakup, but not in the way I think--apparently it was Chad, not Declan, who wanted to bang my girlfriend. Chad was too shy and asked Declan to befriend my girlfriend and act as a "wingman." Declan has tons of female friends so Chad thought he would effectively gain her trust and be a good "in". Declan insisted the reason he kept pranking her and being goofy was because he was hoping it would paint their relationship as clearly non-romantic. Apparently Chad paid him back for all the times he had to lose money in a prank, and Chad was actually the one paying for my girlfriend's broken nose.

I told him "Well, that was a stupid plan because my girlfriend moved in with you specifically to be with you, so that sucks for all three of you." Declan got extremely upset and seemed to be practically shaking at the idea that my girlfriend had feelings for him, he was acting like he murdered someone.

So now my girlfriend (well, ex) is living with the guy she has a crush on (who has no feelings for her) and a guy who has a crush on her but was too creepy and weird to say it. I hope they all have fun together.

tl;dr: Dumped girlfriend, she moved in with Declan and it turns out Declan doesn't like her, Chad does.

I'm sure she will contact me again once it dawns on her that the "wrong guy" is interested. I will update you all if that happens.

Sad part is story is now 9 years old. I really want to go all 7-Up on them and find out how early 30s are treating everyone in this story.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Should've dumped her when you found she thinks going through someone's wallet, stealing $200, and flushing it down the toilet is a hilarious prank.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Edit: You know what? The more I read the post I quoted, the more sure I am it's rage bait. I'm deleting it. Sorry.

Bonster fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 9, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bonster posted:

AITA for calling my older two kids traitors for saying they want to live with their aunt over me?

This woman has made many poor decisions in her life and seems dedicated to making sure she gives her children the worst possible start in life.

I hope the older kids decide to go live with their aunt after all.

A few quotes from her:

I'm hoping it's rage bait.

quote:

Two years before the stroke that killed him, he had had another stroke and that made him prone to impulsive decisions.

So how many strokes did the two of you have before that to make all the decisions that led you here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hughlander posted:

Thought this was posted in an earlier thread but google says it wasn't... Regardless even if it's a Tuesday it's from years ago and is a great story.

My [24M] girlfriend [24F] went way too far pranking her male friend [24M] and now I'm wondering if the pranks are flirtation after all.

Update

Final update

Sad part is story is now 9 years old. I really want to go all 7-Up on them and find out how early 30s are treating everyone in this story.

I love when people realise they've thrown the pin and are holding the grenade.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Hughlander posted:

I would guess OP probably learned a lesson in what being a pushover is like, and gained some backbone and is doing pretty well now. The others... I would love to hear what happened when their little love triangle collapsed. Probably one of them had a learning experience, but I bet the other two would stay high drama.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The French name is Aimee, with accent in original language, without in English.

Still a common enough spelling for it that I could name three of them.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

Still a common enough spelling for it that I could name three of them.

Aimie, Aimie, and Aimie?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

quote:

She told me that every ex-boyfriend she's had has been emotionally abusive and I fall right into that category.

lmao, just perfect, no notes

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Always fascinates me when someone who breaks up with someone else is accused of being controlling for it

Do they think "you are not a part of my life anymore" is an unreasonable degree of control for a person to exercise?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for telling my wife that she needs to seriously work on her mental and physical toughness

quote:

My wife (32F) and I (34M) went to the gym yesterday morning and at some point my wife (will call her Laura) scratched her finger on something.

Laura has a history of being selectively sensitive to pain and discomfort. She is a strong and capable woman that I love, but if it’s 80 degrees with a breeze, Laura will talk herself into it being too cold to stay outside. The joke between us is she is like the princess and the pea story. These things happen often.

I am not exaggerating in the slightest when I say this time the “cut” was less than half a centimeter wide and 2mm across, just surface level, no larger than a paper cut. Later that night she remembered the cut and had what I would describe as a meltdown. She said her finger pain was throbbing, she was feeling nauseous from the pain and said it was becoming too much.

I offered to clean it with hydrogen peroxide, but she said it would hurt too much. I said it bubbles but doesn’t burn like alcohol and you need to clean it if you cut it on gym equipment because it’s dirty. As soon as I put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide on it she collapsed to her knees and said she could not continue. I admit I got a little upset at the theatrics. But it was nothing new at this point.

Then after I rinsed the wound in the sink (she is still on her knees crying), I told her I was going to get neosporin and a bandaid to which she begged me not to add neosporin because it would hurt. I explained to Laura that neosporin actually would cause no pain and even add potential relief. She yelled when I put it on and nearly fainted.

At this point I was a little upset and potentially the rear end in a top hat. I tried to explain to Laura that her body was very resilient and she is a tough person because I’ve seen it in our workouts and the way she can work through brutal work challenges and environments. However, she needs to work on her psychological hang up on discomfort like this.

We want to have kids in next 2 years and in all honesty I don’t think she can handle childbirth right now. I said it’s something we can work on together, but to start, she needs to get serious and adopt the mentality that her body can handle a lot! I told her it’s upsetting that she seems to just give up and surrender to any pain like she has no will to shake it off. “What example would we be setting for our child?” “What would happen if you were injured and needed to get help without me?”

We ended up getting into an argument about this, I feel like an rear end in a top hat, but I don’t know how I could have approached this differently.

quote:

EDIT/CONTEXT:

First, I would like to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts and suggestions.

Second, I would like to clarify that I am one of those lucky few that married someone they consider their soul mate. Despite my comments coming across as callous and patronizing, I love and care for my wife tremendously and I don’t believe she sees it that way. However, I’m here for that outside perspective. I’ll be with my wife until I’m dead or she finds someone better! (Even if that means carrying her around for the next 80 years)

Lastly, while we have visited doctors in the past, WE may not have placed enough value on getting another opinion. That is something I will bring up with my wife again. I do not typically hold an opinion when it comes to my wife’s medical care. I believe I may have an old fashioned approach to doctors as I have had some bad experiences with misdiagnosis and over prescribed treatments. My attitude when it comes to my wife has always been to get the care that she thinks she needs as I cannot make that decision for her. We both acknowledge there are differences in the way we pursue medical care. I have never suggested her symptoms or desire to meet with a doctor were not legitimate. When she had not gotten to a diagnosis from doctors and they suggested treating it like it was nervousness or anxiety we both kind of considered it psychological, a pain in the rear end, but not overly serious and something we could work on. As my post here would suggest, that is easier said than done. It’s a huge grey area trying to figure out if you are being too controlling or if you are enabling.

quote:

My wife does not have red hair.

quote:

TIL: Hydrogen Peroxide is no longer recommended for cleaning wounds.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
loving hell.

Has it crossed this guy's mind that people are individual beings, and that something that doesn't cause him pain could very well cause pain to his wife? That his personal subjective experience of the world is not actually the universal standard?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

On the other hand she does sound like an over-dramatic baby so who's to say which one is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Seriously. As someone with aversions, once you become an adult you just have to take responsibility for them. If you can't handle normal antiseptic applications, handle your own papercuts before someone else has to. Fainting due to Neosporin is just silly. It honestly sounds like someone ageing their toddler's experience up.