Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I die so often I haven’t even seen Eris! Take that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Staltran posted:

Chronos ignoring slowdown is fine, but mocking you for trying to control time if you try to pause and unpausing the game is pretty obnoxious. In hindsight I assume I could have opened steam overlay, but I didn't think of that.

Alt tabbing will also always pause the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I feel like I've really hit a wall on both routes, one with Chronos and the other with Eris. They both feel like they hugely punish the smallest slip ups in a frustrating way. I've had full DD rosters get completely wiped in a cascade from both of them.

Here's the trick to Eris.

Hestia's Sprint boon will destroy rail shots.

WarpedLichen posted:

A lot of the duos feel pretty bad. All the elemental ones that take 5 of an element to proc - those almost never happen without metaupgrade help. Hephaestus foes can't knock you away boon that comes with a bit of armor. Hephaestus deal more damage if you get hit during the attack. Poseidon gain more meta rewards. Poseidon spirit bubble. There's a bunch. I would rank all the boons that increase magic regen as well because the card feels mandatory and with it your magic regen is already really good.

The elemental ones aren't that hard to use. I do think they're too uncommon to build around and need a buff but they're fine there.

Hephaestus Foes Can't Knock You Away is great because it gives you that armor and armor is incredibly good. You can use the keepsake that starts you with armor and regenerates armor and it's frankly better healing than any of the healing keepsakes and gives you a ton of bonus health, while also allowing you to keep the boost from Aranche's Weave.

The "get hit during an attack" one is actually good if you have a reliable source of HP regen.

Meta Rewards (which was in Hades 1 too) is fine. It's sacrificing a boon spot for meta stuff which isn't an always thing but is fine if your other choices suck or you don't want them.

Likewise all the mana boosting ones are great? You want to be spending MP as fast as you can and more MP regen lets you spend it a lot faster which also refills your Hexes meaning you can use them more. If you're not running out of MP with just the card then you're not using your Omega skills enough or you're not going for the (frankly OP) buffs that Prime some of your MP or increase your MP costs.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 9, 2024

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

ImpAtom posted:

What Boons are useless? Like half of them give like 50% to damage even before other effects

At the moment, with my current unlocks? Pretty much anything involving MP or sprint which seems to be the bulk of what I'm getting. It's anecdotal but so far the most powerful I've been has been stacked with Hestia and exploding enemies while doing bonus damage to armor. Again, it's something I just write off as early access and will be moot three patches from now.

The general game feel is where it gets a bit more discouraging. The delay on the (single) dash, the attack commits, the huge boss health pools, the gotcha attacks, and the invulnerability phases make it feel so slow. There's some stunlocking going on with multi-hit projectiles but I'm not sure if that's new or not. Some of that may get ironed out over patches but it definitely feels like a decision was made at some point.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Question: is there a way to unlock a way to swap out trinkets between bosses ..? Or is that just gone.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

External Organs posted:

Question: is there a way to unlock a way to swap out trinkets between bosses ..? Or is that just gone.

That upgrade and so many like it are all in the cauldron eventually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mailer posted:

At the moment, with my current unlocks? Pretty much anything involving MP or sprint which seems to be the bulk of what I'm getting. It's anecdotal but so far the most powerful I've been has been stacked with Hestia and exploding enemies while doing bonus damage to armor. Again, it's something I just write off as early access and will be moot three patches from now.

The general game feel is where it gets a bit more discouraging. The delay on the (single) dash, the attack commits, the huge boss health pools, the gotcha attacks, and the invulnerability phases make it feel so slow. There's some stunlocking going on with multi-hit projectiles but I'm not sure if that's new or not. Some of that may get ironed out over patches but it definitely feels like a decision was made at some point.

I mean... you're saying "Anything involving MP or sprint is useless" and then complaining about HP pools or the difficulty of dodging. Those things are connected. That's kind of the point. Omega attacks absolutely poo poo out damage and sprint allows you to avoid a ton of damage, and the sprint boons can often do wonders. Like the Hestia sprint boon basically nullifies projectiles which can absolutely wreck certain bosses.

And that is before getting into Hexes which charge as you use MP and if you have reliable MP spenders and a good Hex you can get things like "7 second invincibility on demand" or "Deal roughly 2000 damage every ten seconds" or other absurd stuff.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Caidin posted:

That upgrade and so many like it are all in the cauldron eventually.

07 death to Chronos

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I feel like you only really need one MP boon per run and then you're just kind of set.

I do keep forgetting sprint exists, though. Too used to Hades 1.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Is there a way to juke the hex in the first boss fight or does it always hit?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It has a long track but it does eventually run out, just dodge back and forth

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Hellioning posted:

I feel like you only really need one MP boon per run and then you're just kind of set.

I do keep forgetting sprint exists, though. Too used to Hades 1.

Shoot, there's a card that does MP regen in a good enough kinda way. Maybe not enough for a super MP hungry build but I dunno how real those are yet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

You can just dodge through it repeatedly.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Caidin posted:

Shoot, there's a card that does MP regen in a good enough kinda way. Maybe not enough for a super MP hungry build but I dunno how real those are yet?

The torch seems super MP heavy but I did that exactly once so who knows.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Axe spin to win build and Skull special bullrush build are very mp intensive

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

guys it’s so good

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just made it to Chronos phase two for the first time. What's the trick with his attack that seems to hit the whole arena for 750ish damage? Just lost two DDs to it. I see it wind up and what looks like the whole arena glows red, not sure where is supposed to be safe.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Tools should give a bonus to their resource but you could get a minimum without

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
a lot of the sprints aren't very good or useful but hestia's is extremely good and poseidon's is pretty strong. the balance there does need a bit of tweaking overall because there's quite a discrepancy

a lot of the strongest builds i've had have just been built around spamming omega attack/cast/special with a good source of magic regeneration. the main balance issue there is just that some of the regeneration boons are a lot better than others, but you can pretty much always manage to find one of the decent ones if you need one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Caidin posted:

They're very real. I played this like Hades 1 for a while but specials are really good all my wins so far have been omega ability builds. I think they're intentionally designed to allow more op stuff persephone rare boon boosts the skull skill damage by 150% (???). The twin blades skill has a hammer where the skill knives return to you and backstab, and then there's another hammer where the more times enemies are hit with one skill cast the more damage they take and this led to Hades 1 levels of blowing stuff up. There's a hammer that boosts the axe's omega attack damage damage by 80%. I think it's harder to have normal attack-based builds really get multiple synergies going for them the way omega skills do and omega skills are all very mana thirsty. Note that this ALSO turns on hexes in a big way. Turning off the slowdown arcana makes this all feel a lot more natural, I think doing omega builds more often than not is how the game is supposed to be played because it really ends up involving all of the game mechanics.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 9, 2024

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hellioning posted:

The torch seems super MP heavy but I did that exactly once so who knows.

In terms of how you're 'meant' to use it, the names for Torch 'normal' and 'special' are reversed - you're meant to rely on the spinny flames as your primary damage-dealing, best I can tell, and only holding down the primary attack when it makes sense to be doing that because you outrange/stunlock an enemy.

Wafflecopper posted:

Just made it to Chronos phase two for the first time. What's the trick with his attack that seems to hit the whole arena for 750ish damage? Just lost two DDs to it. I see it wind up and what looks like the whole arena glows red, not sure where is supposed to be safe.

Based on watching a stream, you stand in the big glowing circle that looks normal, not in the darkness.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

bewilderment posted:

Based on watching a stream, you stand in the big glowing circle that looks normal, not in the darkness.

I didn't even see that but will look for it next time! Trying to avoid streams. Thanks

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
scyalla is routinely kicking my rear end

the drummer usually gets a few aoe bonks in before I can knock her out and then it's a matter of losing the dps race to knicks and bops

lih
May 15, 2013

bewilderment posted:

In terms of how you're 'meant' to use it, the names for Torch 'normal' and 'special' are reversed - you're meant to rely on the spinny flames as your primary damage-dealing, best I can tell, and only holding down the primary attack when it makes sense to be doing that because you outrange/stunlock an enemy.

like pretty much all the weapons, you can focus on either depending on which boons you get but without any boons the special is stronger by default yeah. it's the most unintuitive weapon for sure but i don't think it's really weaker or anything, just weirder

one area that does feel like it needs a major balance pass is the hexes, they've generally been very underwhelming and/or difficult to use effectively in practice. the exception is just moon river (the healing one) which is quite good but also just so much more useful than the others at the moment. most of the infusion-related boons have been underwhelming too in my experience so far.

lih fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 9, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Well, made it further in Chronos' Phase 2 today, but still haven't managed to eke out a win yet, though a lot of metaprogression has been made. The one I feel the best about is: winning the Chaos Trial where the game restarts your first run and tells you to beat Hecate on my first attempt. A concrete sign that I've made some improvement outside of pure power accumulation! Still lost the Poseidon one though, can only blame Scylla for it a little since it was my fight to lose.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I dunno, I haven't found a lot of great omega attacks that are worth the mana and charge time, but this is without unlocking aspects or anything. I have two Chronos kills under my belt now and I just lean hard into the casts boons. Hestia and Zeus are both ridiculously good. I'm not sure if I'm imagining things but does he not get slowed when you charge because he controls time?

Spear seems very underwhelming for the damage it deals.

Dagger's teleport seems situational and not something I want to spam. The fan throw is also situational - it does less damage than the normal attack so it seems like you want the aoe for it to be worth it.

Torch x special you just use when you can, y special seems very meh for how much mana it costs. Maybe if it rotated a bit longer by default or spawned just a tad bit further away from you.

Both axe specials are pretty good because they do huge aoe.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Omg on the alternate route, if you meet Circe and choose the option to increase your size and damage, Melione’s voice actually deepens. I loving love all the small details this game has and it’s still early access :allears:.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Got my first win, on the back of the ridiculous power that is Charon Aspect axe build. Just absolutely deletes screens. Hey, where do you get the Dark resource you need for the Thanatos axe aspect? It's the only one of those I still haven't unlocked.

lih
May 15, 2013

mp is really not much of an obstacle with any of the decent regeneration boons.

i think the only omega attacks (out of the default aspects) i haven't managed to build around yet are the daggers standard attack, and the staff special, but both seem like they could still easily be built around - with the daggers you probably want to build around backstabbing i guess.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

lih posted:

mp is really not much of an obstacle with any of the decent regeneration boons.

i think the only omega attacks (out of the default aspects) i haven't managed to build around yet are the daggers standard attack, and the staff special, but both seem like they could still easily be built around - with the daggers you probably want to build around backstabbing i guess.

I had a build that was carried to floor 4 (though not a win) on the staff special. Apollo's special boon + the hammer thing that lets you overcharge the special = a REALLY big explosion every time.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

my favorite way of avoiding the hex is having the hex hit your familiar instead

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So, Apollo and Zeus’ duo boon makes omega cast builds absurdly hilarious and it’s such a funny experience.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So Demeter has an infusion boon that reduces the maximum amount of damage you can take per hit to an extremely survivable amount (15 on the epic version) and while it takes a while to get going I can confirm it works on all sources of damage, including Chronos' 999 insta-gently caress you attack. Grandma's boon options are already stacked and but this is honestly a game changer when it comes to comfort builds.

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
I don't think I like how much the game pushes you to use omega attacks. Yeah they do big damage, but the game feels balanced around that so regular attacks seem too weak in comparison i think? I dunno I'm not a game dev, I just know something about the numbers doesn't feel great to me, especially if you get unlucky and don't get a boon early one. Both of the area 1 minibosses in particular are miserable if you get unlucky with certain weapons. Luckily this, like most problems, is solved simply by using a giant kickass axe.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Got my first win, on the back of the ridiculous power that is Charon Aspect axe build. Just absolutely deletes screens. Hey, where do you get the Dark resource you need for the Thanatos axe aspect? It's the only one of those I still haven't unlocked.

At one point Chaos will mention it and give you one. Afterwards it'll show up random in Chaos' realm.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zeta Zetton posted:

I don't think I like how much the game pushes you to use omega attacks. Yeah they do big damage, but the game feels balanced around that so regular attacks seem too weak in comparison i think? I dunno I'm not a game dev, I just know something about the numbers doesn't feel great to me, especially if you get unlucky and don't get a boon early one. Both of the area 1 minibosses in particular are miserable if you get unlucky with certain weapons. Luckily this, like most problems, is solved simply by using a giant kickass axe.

At one point Chaos will mention it and give you one. Afterwards it'll show up random in Chaos' realm.

Ahh, alright. I have bad luck with Chaos portals showing up so it's probably been heavily backlogged.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Zeta Zetton posted:

I don't think I like how much the game pushes you to use omega attacks. Yeah they do big damage, but the game feels balanced around that so regular attacks seem too weak in comparison i think?

That's kind of where I'm at with it. There's boons that turn your attacks into an AoE and that can feel better, but also you can just use axe and everything is an aoe.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

The game also starts massively debuffing you if you make it too far into a run compared to the number of attempts you've done.

I have not seen another game be so overt with "you didn't do enough grinding yet, gently caress off".

At least I don't need think about whether I should try this game or not.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

So the Aspect of Artemis daggers were very funny. I slapped an Aphrodite boon on my attack, proc the party and then end up doing thousands of damage with my omega attack and basically sliced my way through the underworld. Very cool, would recommend.

In regards to Omega Attacks, while they are pretty strong, I can think of a few instances where I prefer the normal attack to the omega (looking at you stupid torches). There are definitely builds, Daedalus hammers and aspects where you lean on normal attacks more. I personally enjoy the mana/omega mechanic more than the previous cast system where I basically ignored it unless the build was focused around it.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

ntan1 posted:

my favorite way of avoiding the hex is having the hex hit your familiar instead

The boss has a specific voice line for that too!

Stop making GBS threads on my frog buddy, Hecate! :frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How do you use the fans properly? I feel like they are so goddamn weak and things take forever to kill. The right-click/special ability seems pretty strong but awkward to use. And the main attack and omega spell are weak and slow. But it's weird cause I can get pretty far with em...

I love the starter spear and the axe the most though. This is just as good if not better than Hades.