Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'd be really bummed if I was a Slaanesh chaos space marine. Slaanesh seems like a big wuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
their drugs are just better than anyone else's in the setting

that's unironically how fabius bile controls any emperor children he gets. mega-uber-ridonkulous drugs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fabius Bile just wants to have kids and its nice that the Chaos Gods support his efforts to be a single parent

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Smugworth posted:

I'd be really bummed if I was a Slaanesh chaos space marine. Slaanesh seems like a big wuss

You can literally melt people with the sound of your sick music if you're a slaaneshi noise marine

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Olanphonia posted:

You can literally melt people with the sound of your sick music if you're a slaaneshi noise marine

you can melt them into drugs, which was what they were doing in the siege of terra instead of actually fighting

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you can melt them into drugs, which was what they were doing in the siege of terra instead of actually fighting

I mean, what beats doing lines of Heavy Metal pulverized, peasant nipples?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it really is a thing that there's this random aside in the black legion books that abaddon mentions that he learned how to distill peeps into adrenochrome, too, in his hobo phase. couple years before it became the subject of weird blood libels by right-wing nutjobs. poor hunter s thompson

that one prolly aint making it to the third black legion book. or maybe it will, i dunno lol

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 9, 2024

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Barudak posted:

Fabius Bile just wants to have kids and its nice that the Chaos Gods support his efforts to be a single parent

They really aren't fond of him, since he doesn't believe they're gods

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
exactly one of em is fond of him. thats what being a champion means.

no, slaanesh doesnt believe in consent

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

exactly one of em is fond of him. thats what being a champion means.

no, slaanesh doesnt believe in consent

Lucius is the designated champ on the tabletop, because Slaanesh finds it funny that he's claims to be the greatest swordsman despite being repeatedly beaten

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, but i'm pretty sure the relevance thing on the warhams store site is mainly just a popularity thing if you query without query terms, and bile is way the gently caress higher up there than lucius, so he prolly sells more, which is the thing that actually counts

higher than abaddon, who's apparently the second most popular named csm character

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

yeah, but i'm pretty sure the relevance thing on the warhams store site is mainly just a popularity thing if you query without query terms, and bile is way the gently caress higher up there than lucius, so he prolly sells more, which is the thing that actually counts

higher than abaddon, who's apparently the second most popular named csm character

Bile sold extremely well because there was a stretch of time where Creations of Bile was by far the strongest way to play CSM.

Lucius sells extremely poorly because he's a lovely resin model everyone knows will get replaced with a new plastic model in the next couple years.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, that's absolutely the case. but still. medium-size interplay between the game and the lore

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Slaanesh followers are much cooler when they get creative about the "Obsession/Perfection" aspect of their god, rather than just going full-tilt BDSM-Cenobites-on-space-drugs.

You got dudes who've practiced painting so long that they create horrific pocket dimensions inside their works, weirdos who body-sculpt their prisoners into living instruments and then just let crowds of them loose on a ship to "make music" as they wander and die, and some guy who just kept eating food until he turned into a planet

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

also if you go slanesh you get the coolest model in the entire loving game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The champion of slaanesh could be a dude who's really particular about his stamp collection

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fabius Bile is also a lot more fun, everybody loves a mad scientist.

it really is a thing that there's this random aside in the black legion books that abaddon mentions that he learned how to distill peeps into adrenochrome, too, in his hobo phase. couple years before it became the subject of weird blood libels by right-wing nutjobs. poor hunter s thompson

that one prolly aint making it to the third black legion book. or maybe it will, i dunno lol

It's if anything one of the key things to keep, because it's an expression of what makes Chaos Space Marines so terrifying; they're the hulking monstrous super soldiers who have fully given into pride, entitlement and feeling superior to regular humans and have the right to do what they want with them, down to literally treating them as disposable and consumable objects for pleasure.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fabius Bile is also a lot more fun, everybody loves a mad scientist.

And his name is Fabius Bile! That's the name of an 80's cartoon villian. That's the name of a guy who makes big dramatic speeches and uses the third person when he talks about himself.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You win this time, but you haven't seen the last of FABIUS BILE!!!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
still applies even if you atomized fabius bile. he's the clonelord, after all

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And he wears a lab coat made of human skin.

The Dark Eldar once captured him, and were so impressed they exchanged notes and let him go.

The trick is with Chaos is that they're all different flavours of cartoon supervillainy, like Sith Lords. There's a reason everyone loves the most ridiculous ones. Like the Dawn of War cultist peon who's somewhere between Peter Lorre and Cornholio.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 9, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think the canon way (from genefather) to tell the clones apart is which one has the staff, the rod of torment, which has got a demon in it. but, uh, it's a fuckin staff, so they could just switch, and do, often

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like that Fabius Bile succeeded at copying his Primarch and then went "oh right, this dumbass fell to chaos once already" and sold him off as a weird curio for Trazyn.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

QuarkJets posted:

You win this time, but you haven't seen the last of FABIUS BILE!!!

And then he speeds away shaking his fist in the Fabius Mo-Bile.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And he wears a lab coat made of human skin.

more like Fabulous Bile

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Lucius is the designated champ on the tabletop, because Slaanesh finds it funny that he's claims to be the greatest swordsman despite being repeatedly beaten

I'm a big fan of that aspect of Slaanesh, the irony of backhanded compliments, feeding off both the pride of cultists and marines but also the anguish of their defeat. Just a galactic high school movie level of blowing up small petty dramas into situations that the participants kill each other over.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

QuarkJets posted:

The champion of slaanesh could be a dude who's really particular about his stamp collection

Are you saying all slaanesh champions are acoustic?

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Khorne is one of those scifi/fantasy names that look cool written down, but say it out loud and it's just... corn.

They should do a retcon and say it's actually Kharne, it's always been Kharne. That sounds a little cooler. Blame it on warp fuckery or something.

Meanwhile, there's Kharn the Betrayer, but I don't know anything about him, so he can become, uh, Khurn, I guess.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lobster Henry posted:

They should do a retcon and say it's actually Kharne, it's always been Kharne. That sounds a little cooler. Blame it on warp fuckery or something.

Meanwhile, there's Kharn the Betrayer, but I don't know anything about him, so he can become, uh, Khurn, I guess.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Corn, The betrayer

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
crom, from conan -> khorne

https://conan.fandom.com/wiki/Crom

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/10/flashback-bryan-ansells-origins-of-warhammer.html

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You should look up Kharn the Betrayer, he's a swell guy

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Lobster Henry posted:

Khorne is one of those scifi/fantasy names that look cool written down, but say it out loud and it's just... corn.

There's a female Khornite general in the Total Warhammer Games who announces herself proudly and angrily as 'CONSORT. OF. CORN!!!!!!' and it's just great.

You do you, ma'am. Marry that maize.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
valkia the valkyrie, because valkyries are evil in warhams. also not the most creative naming

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Lobster Henry posted:

Kharn is great and despite the odds, given that him and his legion are blood mad berserkers in 40k, Kharn and the world eaters are one of the better written legions in the 30k novels. If you can take angron and make him compelling you’ve done well.

Just read betrayer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Khorne's whole deal makes more sense considering the baseline worshipper is basically someone who's completely fed up with every other aspect of the shithouse universe they've been born into except that they get to hit people with axes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Khorne's whole deal makes more sense considering the baseline worshipper is basically someone who's completely fed up with every other aspect of the shithouse universe they've been born into except that they get to hit people with axes.
I'm still working through End and the Death but I like how they did Khorne's pitch to Dorn in that. Dorn spends basically the entire Heresy series trying very hard not to buckle under all the pressure he's under as the one guy responsible for keeping the Emperor safe, stressing out about having to make a billion decisions a day while having to manage at least as many overinflated egos, and chafing at his responsibility to stand on the walls and wait while everyone else is out there fighting traitors.

So Khorne just sidles up, very politely and understated for once, and goes "y'know, if you want to stop thinking for a while and just fight..."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

grobbo posted:

There's a female Khornite general in the Total Warhammer Games who announces herself proudly and angrily as 'CONSORT. OF. CORN!!!!!!' and it's just great.

You do you, ma'am. Marry that maize.

country girls make do

naem
May 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Orks Iz Betta©️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

CapnAndy posted:

I'm still working through End and the Death but I like how they did Khorne's pitch to Dorn in that. Dorn spends basically the entire Heresy series trying very hard not to buckle under all the pressure he's under as the one guy responsible for keeping the Emperor safe, stressing out about having to make a billion decisions a day while having to manage at least as many overinflated egos, and chafing at his responsibility to stand on the walls and wait while everyone else is out there fighting traitors.

So Khorne just sidles up, very politely and understated for once, and goes "y'know, if you want to stop thinking for a while and just fight..."

Then Dorn is too much of a stubborn nerd to give in, which is great