Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

morestuff posted:

Breakdown with Kurt Russell is everything you're looking for

One of those movies that's so blatant about its emotional manipulation that you're annoyed at the screenplay and director as you are successfully being emotionally manipulated. You know what and how and why they're doing it and it still works on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

morestuff posted:

Breakdown with Kurt Russell is everything you're looking for

Breakdown is a beauty

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Franchescanado posted:

The new-ish term for most of these are Yuppie Nightmares, so you can also look up Letterboxd lists for more recs.

Thanks for this! Had no idea what I was looking for was sort of a sub-genre. It seems a lot of seems to involve a Femme Fatale leading to the destruction of the main character's American Dream and while I usually prefer my villains to not have to rely on bedding the protagonist to make their plan work I can certainly enjoy an unhinged pretty lady too so long as they are good at acting.

I'll be watching Breakdown tonight. Have no idea what I'm in for but I find that usually improves these kinds of movies.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Yuppie Nightmares

I knew I saw this term recently. It stretches back at least to 80s movies, so if it doesn't have to be 90s for you, then After Hours.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Onomarchus posted:

I knew I saw this term recently. It stretches back at least to 80s movies, so if it doesn't have to be 90s for you, then After Hours.

That's a good one that I should watch again one day but I recall it being way more of a surreal comedy as opposed to a thriller, even if it is technically a Yuppie Nightmare.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Fighting Elegy posted:

That's a good one that I should watch again one day but I recall it being way more of a surreal comedy as opposed to a thriller, even if it is technically a Yuppie Nightmare.

It's where I learned the term. As for the movie itself, very open to interpretation, probably more than intended. Don't want to get too E/N, but it can be as disturbing, if not horrifying, as much as thrilling or comedic. There are flaws though. It is like Taxi Driver with a yuppie instead of a...taxi driver, only not quite as good of a movie.

Fifth Element might work. Wears the skin of bonkers sci-fi, but it's a 90's English reskinning of the excellent French 80's thriller+more Diva.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

Nick of Time is much better than its reputation. I remember watching Charles Dutton as the shoeshine guy, how he turned any conversation into a subtle "you should tip me a lot" pitch and thinking it was one of the most amazing bits of writing and acting I had ever seen.

Caveat: I was unfathomably high when I watched it, decades ago.

Walken just showing off, acting his rear end off in what could have been a throw away role. Such a good movie

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Fighting Elegy posted:

Thanks for this! Had no idea what I was looking for was sort of a sub-genre. It seems a lot of seems to involve a Femme Fatale leading to the destruction of the main character's American Dream and while I usually prefer my villains to not have to rely on bedding the protagonist to make their plan work I can certainly enjoy an unhinged pretty lady too so long as they are good at acting.

I'll be watching Breakdown tonight. Have no idea what I'm in for but I find that usually improves these kinds of movies.

I've got another recommendation, cuz I watched it last night:

The River Wild with Meryl Streep, Kevin Bacon, John C. Reilly, and Buffy the dog as "Maggie".

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Timby posted:

Just note that Basic Instinct has a fairly intense depiction of sexual violence in the first third of the movie.

Also in the first scene!

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
Breakdown was good poo poo. Nice to see a Yuppie Nightmare-action hybrid. Great villain performance (never seen this actor before, will have to check him out) and some pretty intense stunt sequences too.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Magnetic North posted:

I am fairly squeamish and I don't want to see movies with lurid depictions of graphic fleshy gore or people squirming around in agony. For instance, (spoilers for 1995's Heat) most of the blood in Heat was fine, like where it's blood on shirts when dudes get shot, but seeing a character with visible slit wrists bothered me.

Quoting myself again, as today I was reminded of Pam Grier and therefore Jackie Brown. Now, based on what I said above, I obviously have never seen an unedited Tarantino film the whole way through. I've just seen the occasional TV edits of things like Pulp Fiction on TBS, and the first 90 minutes or whatever of Django where it's just squibs on shirts.

Reading the content guide on IMDB, it doesn't sound like Jackie Brown is terribly graphic at all. Can someone confirm or deny?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

It's been a minute since I saw it but there's one shooting that's not close up and graphic but the callousness and cold calculation gave it a pretty intense and visceral feeling. It's shot from a pretty high up and distant perspective so you don't even hardly see the guy get shot, you just see the gun shooting and you know what's happening.

Again, that's memory from a few years ago so I might be off.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Magnetic North posted:

Quoting myself again, as today I was reminded of Pam Grier and therefore Jackie Brown. Now, based on what I said above, I obviously have never seen an unedited Tarantino film the whole way through. I've just seen the occasional TV edits of things like Pulp Fiction on TBS, and the first 90 minutes or whatever of Django where it's just squibs on shirts.

Reading the content guide on IMDB, it doesn't sound like Jackie Brown is terribly graphic at all. Can someone confirm or deny?

I can't remember anything graphic, certainly nothing even close to Tarantino's normal ouvre. It's a really loving good movie. TBH I don't know how much of a Tarantino movie it really is - he directed it, but it was either written by someone else or adapted off of someone else's work. I'm not a big Tarantino fan otherwise but Jackie Brown nails it - great performances, great shots/scenes, great soundtrack. It's by far and above my favorite Samuel L Jackson role

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Recommend me some bad movies! I need to come up with a second selection for bad movie club, first option will be Zardoz. We kind of run the whole gamut; we've done lots of erotic thrillers, lots of goofy fantasy/scifi, some cult classic stuff, etc. Think: Brian DePalma's Body Double; Flash Gordon; Faster Pussycat, Kill, Kill; Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls; Body of Evidence; Lifeforce etc

Laughably bad plot is a must, but great set/costume design & good music are pluses - Red Sonja was a big hit for the costume design alone

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Zardoz is great, actually

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Cats

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Flash Gordon is a fantastic movie I don't understand your criteria for bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah I feel like that's not "bad" movies, that's "silly" movies or "weird" movies. Nobody wants to watch an actual bad movie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

idiotsavant posted:

Recommend me some bad movies! I need to come up with a second selection for bad movie club, first option will be Zardoz. We kind of run the whole gamut; we've done lots of erotic thrillers, lots of goofy fantasy/scifi, some cult classic stuff, etc. Think: Brian DePalma's Body Double; Flash Gordon; Faster Pussycat, Kill, Kill; Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls; Body of Evidence; Lifeforce etc

Laughably bad plot is a must, but great set/costume design & good music are pluses - Red Sonja was a big hit for the costume design alone

You didn’t name any bad movies so I’m confused

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Battle for the Lost Planet

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

idiotsavant posted:

I feel like Logan's Run would make a good double feature, it approaches similar subject matter and aesthetic but from the opposite direction

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi friends, it’s a overcast gloomy day.

We have most of the major streaming platforms.

We are trying to be cozy in the couch and watch something that’s mainly uplifting and light and fun, like the Barbie movie. Doesn’t have to be the same tone as Barbie, but just general fun - basically we just don’t want anything depressing lol. Any recommendations?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ornery and Hornery posted:

We are trying to be cozy in the couch and watch something that’s mainly uplifting and light and fun, like the Barbie movie. Doesn’t have to be the same tone as Barbie, but just general fun - basically we just don’t want anything depressing lol. Any recommendations?

Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse
Only Yesterday
The Nice Guys

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

idiotsavant posted:

The 1994 Street Fighter movie has lush visuals, excellent production design, a great score by Graeme Revell and an all-time performance by a dying Raul Julia.

The Sandlot is on Disney+ and is wonderful.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Down With Love

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Other possibilities:

The Green Knight
All That Jazz

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

Other possibilities:

The Green Knight
All That Jazz

All That Jazz is an excellent movie but I would in no way call it uplifting, light or fun.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The uplifting light and fun Bob Fosse movie you want is Sweet Charity

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Timby posted:

All That Jazz is an excellent movie but I would in no way call it uplifting, light or fun.

OK maybe not light but it's definitely fun, and I found it uplifting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gripweed posted:

OK maybe not light but it's definitely fun, and I found it uplifting.

All That Jazz features Joe (a very thinly veiled Fosse) being a sex and drug addict and dying of heart disease, hallucinating, and ends with him being zipped up by a coroner.

It's an excellent movie, but in what world is it fun or uplifting? The movie is all about self-destruction and Fosse's obsession with his upcoming death.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Before Sunrise
Licorice Pizza
Dazed and Confused

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Timby posted:

All That Jazz features Joe (a very thinly veiled Fosse) being a sex and drug addict and dying of heart disease, hallucinating, and ends with him being zipped up by a coroner.

It's an excellent movie, but in what world is it fun or uplifting? The movie is all about self-destruction and Fosse's obsession with his upcoming death.

The musical numbers make it fun. And it’s uplifting in its acceptance and even celebration of death.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I, too, do not understand that list in the context of bad movies. If you want bad movies you need to go with "Grizzly Rage" or "Suburban Sasquatch" or "Monsturd" (it's not just a movie, it's a movement)

If you're just looking for weird movies with questionable production values

Six-String Samurai
Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter
The Last Lovecraft

Maybe the "Feast" trilogy, but there's some sexual violence presented comedically (at least in the first one) so not for everyone.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I'm not touching your bad movie definition debate, but I know the movie you want.

It's Dr. Otto and the Riddle of the Gloom Beam! (exclamation point my addition)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I’m gonna recommend Death Spa.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

I’m gonna recommend Death Spa.

in this vein, Alligator

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

idiotsavant posted:

Seems like you're asking more for "campy" than "bad," but try The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T.

It's always a good time to recommend Speed Racer.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

idiotsavant posted:

Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Squirm
Split Second

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Barbarella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

Lair of the White Worm

Might be an obvious choice but Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves is a great recent one.