Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1788328172481552627

We're gonna somehow engineer a state where there are only 4 channels like the old days of TV but it won't even be free

I wish Max didn't have the right combination of a few excellent TV shows as well as good children's content (esp Sesame Street) that I can't see dumping it, because the quality of the service and in particular the interface just keeps going downhill and getting more and more frustrating to use. My son hasn't really aged into Disney stuff yet so I don't know if that app is any better (although I assume if they do merge they'll just choose the worse of the two interfaces to subsume the other).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yikes

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1788556597767143744

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Crescent Wrench posted:

(although I assume if they do merge they'll just choose the worse of the two interfaces to subsume the other).

Wow, your far to optimistic. They'll obviously merge the two interfaces, keeping the worst features from both.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Crescent Wrench posted:

I wish Max didn't have the right combination of a few excellent TV shows as well as good children's content (esp Sesame Street) that I can't see dumping it, because the quality of the service and in particular the interface just keeps going downhill and getting more and more frustrating to use. My son hasn't really aged into Disney stuff yet so I don't know if that app is any better (although I assume if they do merge they'll just choose the worse of the two interfaces to subsume the other).

They weirdly did not raise the price much when they combined Disney+ and Hulu. But then again WB is bleeding money.

All comes down to the price point. I'm fine with like $25 for that bundle, but if they start getting up to like $40 I'll start pirating again.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Get that lembas bread, Andy

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Crescent Wrench posted:

I don't think they'll merge the services themselves. You'd still have a D+ app, Hulu app, and Max app. You'll just do some sort of account linking or use the same account to access those services if you have the bundle. We've basically gone full circle back to cable (but with buffering).

There's another good example of this. MeTV (the only good digital OTA channel, airs Svengoolie) is partnering with WBD to launch an OTA cartoon channel. OTA channels were killed by cable, then cable channels became poo poo because everyone went to streaming, and now we're back to OTA channels.

edit: Just had another thought.

Hulu was originally a combined effort of the major networks to compete with Netflix streaming. The early days of Hulu was great. You could watch episodes of current network TV the next day for free. Most of it was free, some shows and features were behind a paywall. Even when it put up a paywall for everything, it still wasn't bad. $5 to watch my network shows anywhere? Sure why not. Then all the networks thought they could pull a Netflix and make millions off streaming so they got out of the Hulu business and started their own streaming platforms, which are all hemorrhaging money. Now we're back to essentially the same thing: Studios combining forces in an attempt to compete with Netflix and make money since they can't do it on their own.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 9, 2024

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024

Hi-Fi Rush wasnt even that good, decent enough for one playthrough, but the postgame collectible run is aggravatingly boring, feels like a competently made PS2 game, or like a less shittier version of No Straight Roads, pretty much just long rear end janky platforming corridors connecting big square battle rooms with very little variety.

SeenYourPoopypants
Mar 10, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Abso loving loutely not

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

colonelwest posted:

I think I’ve completely broken the YouTube algorithm with my eclectic taste in videos, or maybe I’ve been hacked by Neil Breen. Most of my recommendations are is just random poo poo like this or animal videos from 12 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZbfNtDCHdM

my friends and i found this the other day, cause its going mildly viral or whatever so it popped up. its one of the single greatest videos i have ever seen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I mean the Gollum video game turned out so well. I'm sure this will be great.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Unless by some chance it's some sort of documentary or comedy, I can't imagine what a "hunt for Gollum" would even entail. Nor am I remotely curious to find out.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i think it will probably be set in the same time period as the game -_-; that's really the only time where to 'hunt for gollum' makes sense, unless of course they decide he didn't die in mt doom

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 9, 2024

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i'll watch it

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

colonelwest posted:

I think I’ve completely broken the YouTube algorithm with my eclectic taste in videos, or maybe I’ve been hacked by Neil Breen. Most of my recommendations are is just random poo poo like this or animal videos from 12 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZbfNtDCHdM

I saw this guy live last year. he's pretty famous, house was was packed.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mozi posted:

...unless of course they decide he didn't die in mt doom

He did, but frodo and sam forgot to tell anyone, so the movies just three four and a half hours of people wandering around calling out Golums name, before deciding to call it a day.

Very anticlimactic. Filmed Dogme 95 style.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cassian of Imola posted:

I saw this guy live last year. he's pretty famous, house was was packed.

Was he also in a lake when you say him live?

Does he tour with his own lake, as that would sorta own.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Andy Serkis sucks and I hate gollum and every scene he's in. Whenever I rewatch the trilogy I fast forward through any bits with that mincing loser. He's kristen schalling through perfectly nice movies like some Canadian children's character made out of screeches and metal grinding noises.
An entire movie of gollum sounds like a living hell.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

dr_rat posted:

Was he also in a lake when you say him live?

Does he tour with his own lake, as that would sorta own.

no but one of his bandmates did a kind of jazz percussion solo with pet squeaky toys and other knickknacks

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cassian of Imola posted:

no but one of his bandmates did a kind of jazz percussion solo with pet squeaky toys and other knickknacks

Yep, jazz performs will do that kinda thing. An utter menace to society I say!

Just think about all the poor crying puppies now squeaky toy less because some random jazz performer came in, in the middle of the night and pinched them!

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
EDIT: Never mind, I thought that said jizz performer.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DebonaireD posted:

Andy Serkis sucks and I hate gollum and every scene he's in. Whenever I rewatch the trilogy I fast forward through any bits with that mincing loser. He's kristen schalling through perfectly nice movies like some Canadian children's character made out of screeches and metal grinding noises.
An entire movie of gollum sounds like a living hell.

He is a bit extra. Weirdly, considering the content of the trilogy, all the other characters are pretty subdued and he doesn't fit in well.

I dunno, Andy Serkis was on set scrambling around in a green suit or something the whole time right? You'd think the director would have told him to take it down a notch or 3 when he was right there writhing around and spazzing out. "Hey Andy, Tom Bombadil isn't in this movie for a reason."

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
the director of meet the feebles tells someone to calm down

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

It's pulling from how Aragorn and Gandalf hunt for gollum prior to the events of LOTR.

Spoiler alert, they don't catch him. Some elves do for a bit and he gets away.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

SeenYourPoopypants posted:

Hi-Fi Rush wasnt even that good, decent enough for one playthrough, but the postgame collectible run is aggravatingly boring, feels like a competently made PS2 game, or like a less shittier version of No Straight Roads, pretty much just long rear end janky platforming corridors connecting big square battle rooms with very little variety.

that's a shame, it looked right up my alley and it got great reviews. oh well

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's pulling from how Aragorn and Gandalf hunt for gollum prior to the events of LOTR.

No way dude this is gonna be the Godfather II of LOTR. Just wait until you see all the complex tapestry of Gollum's life before he became a horrible wretch even though that was already covered in a 3-minute flashback in the original trilogy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I would trade Godfather II to eliminate all the awful "How character became character" prequels I've seen from my mind. It's the shittiest premise there is, but hopefully Furiosa is good.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Oh right, there WAS a gollum video game, wasn’t there?

Is gollum some beloved character? Like, did I totally miss how people were writing fanfic about the weird grey raw fish eating psychopath? I never dreamed there would be people clamoring for so much more gollum-focused media

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

poisonpill posted:

Oh right, there WAS a gollum video game, wasn’t there?

Is gollum some beloved character? Like, did I totally miss how people were writing fanfic about the weird grey raw fish eating psychopath? I never dreamed there would be people clamoring for so much more gollum-focused media

It failed so badly it killed the studio

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

I would trade Godfather II to eliminate all the awful "How character became character" prequels I've seen from my mind. It's the shittiest premise there is, but hopefully Furiosa is good.

Yeah, I really want to look forward to Furiosa because Millers directing and all, but as you say most "How character became character" prequels just arn't that great.

There are exceptions though. Better Call Saul was great.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

kalel posted:

I'm a sucker for anything with good music, so I've been enjoying it... Gradually. The gameplay isn't quite as compelling as I'd hoped, it is nostalgic in both good and bad ways.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Literally nobody likes Gollum, he's a contemptible waste of life and completely revolting which was the entire point of him and I can't explain why or who keeps putting him in media. I can't imagine hearing his voice for the ENTIRETY of a 2+ hour movie.

Move the gently caress on, Andy.

kalel posted:

Don't worry it got great reviews for a reason, that person is fuckin nuts and Hifi Rush is fantastic

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 9, 2024

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Gollum is like Austin Powers or Cartman or Ace Ventura or Borat in that he's mostly popular because people enjoy saying his funny lines in that funny voice.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm a sucker for anything with good music, so I've been enjoying it... Gradually. The gameplay isn't quite as compelling as I'd hoped, it is nostalgic in both good and bad ways.

I’m praying every day that when the music licenses run out Microsoft doesn’t opt to patch the music out

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

kalel posted:

I enjoyed it. The gameplay worked for me. I liked the style and humour and it was a reasonable length for the kind of game it is. I never do post-game collection runs though, that sounds inherently boring.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

No Aragorn caught him and handed him over to the elves.

And yeah, Gandalf and Aragorn spent 16 years looking for Gollum.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Presto posted:

No Aragorn caught him and handed him over to the elves.

Maybe Gandalf will repeatedly turn to the audience throughout the movie and ask "can you spot Gollum?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Presto posted:

Even for a LOTR film that would be a pretty long movie.