Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Unpopular opinion I like thin devices

Then the physics of light are all "lol you want thin and high resolution images? get hosed with this giant camera island, nerd".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The big ipad is pretty heavy when its fully kitted out so weight reduction there is appreciated

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Lol the Airs are now the thickest and heaviest iPads for sale

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That is pretty funny

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

It’s called the Air because it’s light on features.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Apple Watch
AirPods
The whole M-series chip design

The iPad is a mature product. Why are we expecting some radical new design at this point? That’s how you get butterfly keyboards.

I don’t mean to make you feel old but the watch and AirPods, (which I agree were the last of the ‘room full of great designers’ product) were both unveiled nearly a decade ago.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wonder how much creative energy went to the doomed Apple Car project. Hopefully not too much

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

It’s called the Air because it’s light on features.

:golfclap:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

Wonder how much creative energy went to the doomed Apple Car project. Hopefully not too much

Hey we got car play out of it so it’s not a total loss

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I missed the video but is there any new software features they showed off and is it device-locked to the new ones or will the M1 Pro still get anything nice and new?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

I missed the video but is there any new software features they showed off and is it device-locked to the new ones or will the M1 Pro still get anything nice and new?

They showed some new UI stuff with the new pencil which is safe to assume will be exclusive to the new models, only because they're controlled with its hardware features - little radial menus that let you choose pen types/colours/etc by hovering and rotating the stylus.

Everyone's waiting with baited breath to see if they'll revamp the OS in any serious way at WWDC. It'd be hilarious if they're just like 'presenting: stage manager 2.0!' and then show off a couple more pre-set window tiling configurations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I keep forgetting Stage Manager is a thing. Disabled it the moment I saw just how much wasted space it had when having two apps side by side. :(

Probably only makes sense on the 12.9" devices.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

I keep forgetting Stage Manager is a thing. Disabled it the moment I saw just how much wasted space it had when having two apps side by side. :(

It is pretty decent on the 12.9" but can still be frustrating dealing with the limited sizes of each of the screens. I wish I could just add more than one additional app to the "traditional" view.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Before I traded in my ipad pro 11 for a macbook, I did make a decent go of using it as a laptop via stage manager. It was only really usable plugged into an external display, and you did start to see potential there - you could work on apps on the bigger screen, drag stuff around etc. But there are so many weird interactions where the ipad gets confused between what's happening on the ipad screen and the external screen. It's doable, but very unintuitive.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have the 11” WiFi+Cell 256gb Pro in checkout basket but I’m making myself wait for the first reviews. I don’t expect they’ll tell me anything I don’t already know but I’m really trying not to make this an impulse upgrade.

My 2020 11” is, for all intents and purposes, still perfectly usable for 100% of my daily tasks. It’s also my primary device, getting WAY more of my time than my MBP for most things. At this point if I upgrade it’s simply because I know the M4 is the latest/greatest device I will use hours a day every day for the next four or so years, while the 2020 will probably start to fall off as new features arrive.

It’s a weird justification because I could just buy a new device as my needs dictate, but sometimes the heart just wants what it wants, yeah?

Also $360 CDN tradein value on my 2020 Pro which is only going to get lower and lower.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

I have the 11” WiFi+Cell 256gb Pro in checkout basket but I’m making myself wait for the first reviews. I don’t expect they’ll tell me anything I don’t already know but I’m really trying not to make this an impulse upgrade.

My 2020 11” is, for all intents and purposes, still perfectly usable for 100% of my daily tasks. It’s also my primary device, getting WAY more of my time than my MBP for most things. At this point if I upgrade it’s simply because I know the M4 is the latest/greatest device I will use hours a day every day for the next four or so years, while the 2020 will probably start to fall off as new features arrive.

It’s a weird justification because I could just buy a new device as my needs dictate, but sometimes the heart just wants what it wants, yeah?

Also $360 CDN tradein value on my 2020 Pro which is only going to get lower and lower.

The real move is to wait for what wwdc brings up.

But whatever you’re right, I don’t need the iPad but I want one lol.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

hatty posted:

The big ipad is pretty heavy when its fully kitted out so weight reduction there is appreciated

That's a good point. I have the current (for now) Air, and with the Magic Keyboard, I think it weighs a little bit more than my M1 MacBook Air. The keyboard is heavy by design so it doesn't tip over, so making the iPad lighter helps reduce the weight on the overall setup, while still making it usable as a laptop replacement.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

One thing I like about it is that iPhone apps without ipad UI do run nicely on it as their own window. That’s about the only real use I get out of it.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Swing and a miss. Theres no point of a full size ipad. Traded in my full size junkpad and copped the M3 air, and an ipad Mini. This combo is superior in every way.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This, in a way, is a radical new design. I’m still wrapping my head around their need to make things stupid thin. Did anyone feel the current models were too thick? To go ahead and push for thinner, at the cost of battery size (regardless of chip efficiency) on this device seems absolutely wild to me. They could have kept the same thickness and wowed people with EVEN MORE battery life. But no, let’s limit ourselves for no apparent reason and have now set the current (prior?) models battery life baselines the standard moving forward instead of improving on it.

Did you ever hold the 12.9 in a place like your bed at night where you might be holding it up for a hot minute?

It wasn't the weight itself; it was the way the weight interacted with the joints in your hand when you sometimes have to hold it up with one hand and interact with the other.

This is limited to the 12.9 chassis. I'm sure the 11 is fine, so maybe they should have kept the battery there. But the other thing is, the battery on the pro 12.9 is wild good and at some point you're making a mobile device thicker and heavier so... I don't know, it holds a charge for like a week or something? Is that practical vs weight savings?

What I'm saying is that the weight sucks on the current one and the new form factor is huge for anyone, imo, with the bigger model.

xzzy posted:

Then the physics of light are all "lol you want thin and high resolution images? get hosed with this giant camera island, nerd".

I would buy one of these without a rear camera so fast. The 13 inch without a camera would be insanely awesome.

The funny part is, maybe Apple agrees. They deleted the ultrawide cam. Maybe in a few years we can all agree that an ipad doesn't need a camera, but I'm sure people have their uses. I don't want it to go away, I just want the option... :sigh:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

again: they shaved over 100g off the 13, gave it a little more screen real estate AND went from 6.4 nm to 5.1nm.

Weight and dimensions interact; this iPad is going to be significantly easier and lighter to hold, and it's going to be very obvious and welcomed in practice, in a way that most people just won't understand until they hold it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Taima posted:

again: they shaved over 100g off the 13, gave it a little more screen real estate AND went from 6.4 nm to 5.1nm.

Wow they really did make it thin :D

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

sourdough posted:

Wow they really did make it thin :D

Maybe those are nautical miles to explain the long running time.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

haha ill keep it

Call it aspirational :3:

I have been buried in papers about the n3e process the M4 uses so all I've been reading about is nanometers for like 2 hours lol

e: the first benchies came out for the M4 and they're insane, which is what got me down this nanometer rabbit hole. I just wasn't going to post about it here because frankly I don't think the raw compute is that important to people in a device like this. Power usage is a much more relevant metric and we've already more or less gone over that :)

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 9, 2024

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Taima posted:

Weight and dimensions interact; this iPad is going to be significantly easier and lighter to hold, and it's going to be very obvious and welcomed in practice, in a way that most people just won't understand until they hold it.

*Adds weight back with magic keyboard case*

"It's so light!"

:thunk:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Mister Facetious posted:

*Adds weight back with magic keyboard case*

"It's so light!"

:thunk:

You do get that half the point of the magic keyboard is that it's absurdly easy to just pop the iPad off it when you don't need to type poo poo and want to hold it like a tablet, yeah? 'Cause that's the point that the weight actually matters.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Unless I’m mistaken, didn’t they discontinue the keyboard case? Thought I read that somewhere

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

The Grumbles posted:

It's weird because Apple used to be all about thoughtful and genius industrial design applied to things you never new you needed, whereas modern apple is like them flexing their enormous wealth and supply chain dominance to put the best screen technology into product designs that don't completely fit into people's lives (the vision pro, and to a lesser extent, this). There are lots of things I prefer about their products and design that make me lean towards them, but I can't remember the last time they launched something that felt new, surprising and exciting. Remember when every new computer felt like a landmark work of industrial design that would set the aesthetic for every home office for the next 2 years?

This is just nostalgia thinking. What era are you thinking of? The iPod nano was maybe 80% a flex of how much flash memory they could buy all at once and lock up for years before the competition. Most of the last Steve Jobs era was a supply chain era under the hood.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Unless I’m mistaken, didn’t they discontinue the keyboard case? Thought I read that somewhere

nah and its actually way better this year. My best bud is a lead on the keyboard project. It is far better than the existing magic keyboards.

e: oh sorry I should link: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MWR53LL/A/magic-keyboard-for-ipad-pro-13%E2%80%91inch-m4-us-english-black

Now, the price? That is less awesome. I'm going to buy one for my 13 inch but you know I'm going to grumble hard about it lol

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 9, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taima posted:

nah and its actually way better this year. My best bud is a lead on the keyboard project. It is far better than the existing magic keyboards.

That’s going to be something because the current one is pretty drat good

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I totally agree, but wait until you use the new one :allears: please report back when/if you do, I value your opinion in general.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah the one they killed off was the old ‘Smart Keyboard folio’ or whatever that was a lovely rubber keyboard without a track pad stuck on some cheap pleather. The Magic Keyboard owns, even if it is overpriced and the new one looks like it’ll be even better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love my current Magic Keyboard but not $349 love. I got it on sale for like $180 and even that was pushing it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah, it's honestly just hard to talk about cost re: the ipad pros because they're so deep into "no one needs this unless you're in the 1% who benefit professionally" territory that it's like... :shrug:

fwiw though I'm exactly with you. I got it for almost exactly that price too, and I also barely use it, so. lol

The new one is objectively incredible though. Just wait until you can see it in person and you may be convinced.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vegastar posted:

Yeah the one they killed off was the old ‘Smart Keyboard folio’ or whatever that was a lovely rubber keyboard without a track pad stuck on some cheap pleather. The Magic Keyboard owns, even if it is overpriced and the new one looks like it’ll be even better.

I’m actually a big fan of the lovely rubber keyboard folio because it did exactly what I needed and nothing more. The new one will take some adjusting to IMO, but I’m not going to let that be a hurdle.

So I’m a little salty about it getting the chop, but I’ll live.

E: To be clear, I’m not making a case for it being objectively good, just that it was my preferred method oftext entry while being ultra light and ultra flippable.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Taima posted:

Yeah, it's honestly just hard to talk about cost re: the ipad pros because they're so deep into "no one needs this unless you're in the 1% who benefit professionally" territory that it's like... :shrug:

fwiw though I'm exactly with you. I got it for almost exactly that price too, and I also barely use it, so. lol

The new one is objectively incredible though. Just wait until you can see it in person and you may be convinced.

I waffled back and forth on it a ton but I’ve taken to running my desktop headless as a media server/steam deck streaming host and do all the management and maintenance poo poo through Jump remotely and trying to do that with the virtual keyboard sounded so miserable that I just ate it and paid the crazy price to not gently caress up my whole workflow.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Are we the same person? I ran a headless media PC with 100TB+ of storage (but just remoted into it from my main pc) forever.

I recently converted it into also being a full-time Sound Voltex arcade cabinet so it's not headless anymore but I can totally see how the keyboard would be essential there. It's honestly a great product.

The other "problem" was I used to commute an hour each way into silicon valley but I work 100% from home now. The main use my magic keyboard got was just taking the thing into meetings and taking notes with the pencil and keyboard, which was actually great, but I can't do that anymore.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If you're like me and ordered a new Apple Pencil assuming that it'd work with a M2 Pro AND got it engraved (dumbass) , you'll have to chat with Apple to cancel it at this stage. As far as I can tell, the only place Apple details compatibility is in the dropdown devices menu...which at the very least maybe shouldn't be a dropdown when only 2 iPads are compatible.

hatty posted:

Looking at what's happening at Tesla, it would appear all the money in the world can only buy you so much engineering talent so Apple definitely shortchanged projects elsewhere to work on their car. And they probably spent more than it'd cost to just buy Rivian at this stage.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you're like me and ordered a new Apple Pencil assuming that it'd work with a M2 Pro AND got it engraved (dumbass) , you'll have to chat with Apple to cancel it at this stage. As far as I can tell, the only place Apple details compatibility is in the dropdown devices menu...which at the very least maybe shouldn't be a dropdown when only 2 iPads are compatible.

The product page for stuff usually has detailed compatibility lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jose Oquendo posted:

The product page for stuff usually has detailed compatibility lists.

while helpful and detailed, what a loving mess of a product line (both pencil and ipad).