Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 06, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

This took me a few seconds. Well played.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jKB9dKm9qs

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Nell Brinkley(March 14, 1908)

quote:

NO. 6--THE BILLY OF OPAL AND CHANGE, AND THE BETTY OF BROWN

THIS is the Billy who dreams of slashing on a "ten league canvas with hairs from a comet's tail" when he dies! This is the Billy who is a blessed "artest"! Sometimes a degenerate one, sometimes a "reel" one. Sometimes a degener- ate one who makes the clinking coth with the work of his hands; sometimes the real one who slashes the oily colors in a denim blouse, and whose honorable money box has the single-toned rattle of but one, or maybe two, coins in it most times.

It matters not a bit which one he is. Neither one nor the other is fat with bags of the green and gold; and both one and the other has a hushed wonder in his heart for the beauty of line and color, and tree and flower, and mist and sunshine, and faces and bodies; and is reaching endlessly with creative hands for the white fire that is the blinding, bitter-sweet heart of all the beauty in the world.

So this might be the Opal Billy. That would mean the changefulness of him and the exquisite light and shadow that lies in his fancies.

Changeable as the Weather.

Oh, ho! This Billy is like days. He rains and he shines and he glooms and he murks and storms. He works in a rage, like wind and lasting rain, and he lazes and dreams, like a still Autumn day of pale sunshine and the smoke of burning brush.

He laughs for maybe two days and the blue devils hustle him for two more; and then the next he whistles like a very bird in the blue sky and works in a squinting fever all the day!

His hair grows barbarous, he chews his tongue, and his face goes awry with following his brush. He spills and gobs and gets a patchwork face-gay with one green mustache and Prussian blue around the eyes.

If he's the Billy of the degenerates who make the clinking coins with the work of their hands, why, then, this day will be always Sunday, and he will swear when ings-out of Billy. She makes "eatin's" that make you say "ah-h-h-h" when you eat them, like when the the sun crawls down and the light on the wall turns amber and then goes out, and he can't see any more.

And his Betty's patience must be a thing of wonder on that Sunday.

This Opal Billy always delights and is gay in pulling out and tearing up, but he dies the death of a dog when he must put away and clean up his tearings-up and pullings-out.

He likes to cut up and mark on things. He makes little dinky curlycues and crosses and Os on nice, clean, white paper while he waits for his number in the telephone place-a blank place tempts his soul and makes it to sing, and he straightaway makes a "pic" on it.

He hates bills and business and things. He can't add and he gets a fever when he thinks of the letters he owes. He flunked out, from Freshie to Senior, in Math and "Algibbera," and he scowls when he even dreams of circles and angles and why they do what they do.

So he hies him gaily and changefully through the world, and he forgets all the things that have figures in them, while he hunts for the white fire that is the heart of the beauty of the world, so that he might make and create it with his hand.

And when he dies and is done life has been very wonderful to him, without the figures and business and things.

And the stars tell that for the Billy of Opal and change there is the Betty of Brown. She is wholesome and untiring and patient. She flies off on no fits and fevers, She understands, because she is big-hearted.

This Betty Always Serene.

One day is not different from another to her. never whistles and is wondrous gay like a butterfly Betty, and she never weeps and walls and pounds the walls.

She smiles and is unstirred and quite sane always! And she has a wise little place in her head that adds up and divides and figures how to have much "eatin's" and good things, even when the rattle in the money- box is thin.

She buys and sells and does all those things that have figures in them, that are most wonderful and awful to Billy. She puts away the tearings-up and pullings-out of Billy. She makes "eatin's" that make you say "ah-h-h-h" when you eat them, like when the fireworks are going down.

She carries the keys of the place where she and Billy live. She can dust and sweep and wipe the dishes.

She is all things that Billy is not. And-oh ho-if she were an Opal Betty, too-they would fight duels and get dyspepsia and live and die and be buried in bills and dust. Oh, ho!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That sweet mariachi wisdom.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 24, 1963)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

The onomatopoeia for barking in Finnish is "hau" (pronounced the same as "how").

It's not relevant to this strip, but in Finland cats say "miau" (pronounced the same as "meow").

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/8/05

Brenda Starr 3/5-7/53

Smokey Stover 6/4/61

Everyday Movies 10/28/37

"Didn't do nothin' last night -- no date, and the radio was broke. So I picked up a book and first thing I knew it was 12 o'clock. Gee, was I burned to waste a whole evening like that!"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/2-4/43

Closer Than We Think! 6/4/61

Hmm.

It's been a very long time since I read this but as I remember, the plot involves Tom creating an above-the-treetops roadway to cross a jungle.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 9, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I gotta say Jorgens is a real good lad to have in your corner.

Selachian posted:

Everyday Movies 10/28/37

"Didn't do nothin' last night -- no date, and the radio was broke. So I picked up a book and first thing I knew it was 12 o'clock. Gee, was I burned to waste a whole evening like that!"

Incredible how prescient a 90 year old strip is.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

FINGERPORI

The onomatopoeia for barking in Finnish is "hau" (pronounced the same as "how").

It's not relevant to this strip, but in Finland cats say "miau" (pronounced the same as "meow").
What is relevant to this strip is that the Finnish verb for barking, "haukkua", is frequently used in the context of negative critic reviews.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

One day, Peter Gallagher - nephew of 'Heathcliff' creator George Gatley - was flipping through the funny pages, when his eyes alit on an innocuous single-panel strip and his life was changed forever

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/18/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/21/1994)

Ziggy

(12/17/1971)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

goatface posted:

That sweet mariachi wisdom.

that is loving perfect.

"There are always other windows."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm in this picture and I dislike it very much.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm starting to lose patience with A+J's potential house jitters. We understand. You're nervous, it's a big change. Get on with it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The dirty little secret we never realized as kids: adults only look like they have it all together and figured out.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (April 7, 1936)

Peanuts (May 12, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 12, 1940)

Out Our Way (August 24-26, 1944; spoiler because Ick came back for a visit.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

:raise: Are you five?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (June 21-23, 2006)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Might be of interest to this thread: Axa re-print Kickstarter. 4 more days but it's already reached it's pledge goal.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I liked the top post under that A+J on Gocomics that was basically, "I do some of my best thinking late at night. Some of my worst, too."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(November 10, 1910)

Baron Bean(May 11, 1916)

$10 in 1916 is $297.81 today.
$71 is $2,114.46

Polly and Her Pals(April 10, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(January 1, 1920)

Us Boys(May 9, 1912)

The Gumps(June 7, 1917)

Bringing up Father(February 17, 1913)Spoilered for an Italian slur.

Abie the Agent(February 26, 1914)

"Cap" Stubbs(March 21, 1918)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

The classic "Time to PUNISH MYSELF, to show that I'm SERIOUS!" kid move. I really like the inert way Rex is watching this happen. Kid, your parents have absolved you. They don't care.

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 6/4/61

Finally, the White Man can bring the GLORIOUS GIFT OF AUTOMOBILE TRAFFIC to the godless primitives of the dark continents.

Cul de Sac?

FoxTrot Classix

Non Sequitur

Rose is Rose

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Haraiso Days

quote:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The_Other posted:

Might be of interest to this thread: Axa re-print Kickstarter. 4 more days but it's already reached it's pledge goal.

Oh, neat! Thanks for the heads-up.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

:smith:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

wait, if it only lives in clean still waters how it would have followed her from the sewer and why would it have followed her using the smell of a sewer

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dawn's in Connecticut and Wilbur's in California, so while she's getting ready for the ballet at 7 PM, Wilbur is fully robed up on his couch in the middle of the afternoon.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Ghostlight posted:

wait, if it only lives in clean still waters how it would have followed her from the sewer and why would it have followed her using the smell of a sewer

I think the idea is that there are enough areas of clean water connected to the sewer system (since it's hooked up to old air raid shelters) that they can live down there, but the fact it's a sewer is why they're rare? But maybe mostly (small spoilers for tomorrow) the idea of a poo poo-eating slime eel being a delicacy would be kind of weird.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

0 sympathy, this shitbag built this life for himself

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/27-29/52

Archie 5/15-17/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 8/21/77

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

I'm not exactly sure what the strip was going for (something like laughter being the same for everyone, probably) but "foreign accents and then they laugh" sounds like someone telling racist jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

From my first glance, I thought Cat Plugger was eating the nails, with a full cheek.