Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Sandwolf posted:

Highlander decks were not dead as a door nail last patch, not even close, this Brann Warrior deck was consolidated in that time period. It’s crazy to me they saw Plagues and Highlander Warrior and said “these plagues are too strong”

It wasn’t Plagues, it was the fact that card draw was getting so strong, people were consistently running highlander cards in non-HL decks. Warlock was constantly getting Reno off on turn 8-9 despite having a non-HL deck, which was making that class back breaking unless you wanted to play “rip your face off aggro.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Sandwolf posted:

Fair enough, but other than HL Shaman I don’t see any of those other HL decks anymore either. I suspect we’re only seeing HL Shaman because Nature Shaman died as well

Looking at HSReplay, Highlander Druid is also... decent? The point is, right now Control Warrior, Shaman and Druid are the only classes with a viable gameplan that's flexible enough to survive being a highlander deck, but at least that's the intended gameplay pattern for those cards. Better than them only existing as a board clear for normal decks that draw through everything incredibly fast. (... Which you can still do in Wild, but at least that format has the power level to support that.)

Also: they could have just... made the Standard highlander change for both reasons. They could have been annoyed that every other attempt at a highlander deck was being obliterated by all the anti-Warrior Plague decks automatically because there wasn't a counter in standard and annoyed that Reno was being used as another generic board clear without any of the concessions to being mostly highlander or being extremely long-term control that you needed to make running multiple copies of something in a Reno deck work in previous metas.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

peer posted:

change boomboss to deathrattle

Two problems with this:
- You can discover a bunch more with Azerite Ox.
- You can still bounce two more back to your hand with Zola (Amplifier played or coin)

Both of those issues can be resolved by making Boomboss 9 Mana.
Well, technically, one could get 2 coins for the Zola combo.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
the meta is go hard aggro or get suffocated by warrior, even bots are just using the the deck to get to legend

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Miniset announcement tomorrow, looks like.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It doesn’t help that the two main decks (Exca/Plague DK and Control Warrior) are so solved, able to draw & Discover that you can basically predict their every turn, and it just doesn’t matter. I thought Battlegrounds was it, but it turns out Standard was the Autochess mode all along.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Miniset next Tuesday. New mechanic Gigantify; works like Miniaturize except instead of a 1-mana 1/1, you get an 8-mana 8/8. Although they didn’t reveal any cards that use it, there’s also a new mechanic based on Elise the Trailblazer’s pack mechanic, where you open a pack of five cards, and any you don’t play this turn are discarded.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

bravesword posted:

Miniset next Tuesday. New mechanic Gigantify; works like Miniaturize except instead of a 1-mana 1/1, you get an 8-mana 8/8. Although they didn’t reveal any cards that use it, there’s also a new mechanic based on Elise the Trailblazer’s pack mechanic, where you open a pack of five cards, and any you don’t play this turn are discarded.

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/24077478

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

token treant druid to come back?

turn 1 witch wood + slam down 2 free treants (lose 10 health)

turn 2 play 2/2 treants

turn 3 get another treant + draw up to 5 cards

interesting high roll

e : looking at the card pool I don't think it quite gets there. maybe next set?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Dorian letting Warrior potentially quadruple up on battlecries seems like a mistake

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

Dorian letting Warrior potentially quadruple up on battlecries seems like a mistake

That isn't how Brann effects work. They set you to "trigger battlecries twice", they don't actually multiply.

Also, if there's one thing we all learned from the original Dorian, it's that drawing specific minions without using a card that actually draws a specific subtype of minion is really hard. Puppetmaster Dorian will give people some real value highrolls, but I don't see it being reliable enough to affect the meta at the moment.

EDIT: ... Oh, yeah. 4x battlecries because you get each unit twice. Well, I still stand by my previous statement. Highlander Warrior doesn't need even more value, it would just be overkill.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 7, 2024

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I could see Dorian being an alternate wincon with Gaslit Gatekeeper in Warrior, maybe stick one of them in ETC

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Dorian is a card I find difficult to evaluate. There are obviously some situations where he’s super OP, but how reliable are they, and is the median outcome still worth it.

One combination worth considering is Scale Replica. A one cost Alexstrasza makes Zarimi a lot better at threatening lethal, and she was already drat good at that. The question is, is this too slow?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I should have saved 2000 gold :rip:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

mewse posted:

You’ve got a week to start!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I just hope you aren't out from the heroic brawlseum

they do this every time, too :argh:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Toyrantus seems like a good card not only lategame but also on curve, especially if you ramp into it. Rare to see a card that is good tempo and lategame value all in one.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
is it just me or gigantify looks bad?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

it is extremely flavorful for Dr Boom to have seen Whizbang's invention of Miniaturize and taken away exactly the wrong lesson from it

instead of paying now for a discounted minion, let me pay normal cost for..an overcosted minion down the line?

VV yeah it'll be super annoying in Arena for sure

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Szarrukin posted:

Pretty sick in arena

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Excelzior posted:

I just hope you aren't out from the heroic brawlseum

they do this every time, too :argh:

Literally, they do this every time. You know when a mini set is coming because the heroic brawl is announced. The heroic brawl is a suckers game to waste your gold so you have to pay cash

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Szarrukin posted:

I think it’ll depend on the meta, if Warriors are everywhere then getting some late game value might be good, but if aggro/tempo decks take over then it’s much too slow

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I've played handbuff paladin against highlander warrior, an 8/8 doesn't mean anything against the current meta warrior deck. I had gotten both of my excavate legendaries off so that every 1/1 I played was AT LEAST a 7/7 and it still gets swept by the three different versions of Brawl the deck carries, Inventor Boom and Azerite Ox filling the board with high-value legendaries with taunt, and bombs constantly destroying my hand, board, and deck. The only times I ever win against highlander warrior are when I go full face aggro and rush them down faster than they can draw their board clears.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

mewse posted:

"I saved 1000 gold up and that's what all the minisets cost in the shop, I should be good to start buying packs now. They definitely aren't that cheap because old minisets are half-off."

I am so mad at myself right now.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I want highlander warrior to go away so I can play highlander shaman and druid.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

I think it’ll depend on the meta, if Warriors are everywhere then getting some late game value might be good, but if aggro/tempo decks take over then it’s much too slow

8 mana 8/8 is bad, so it will probably depend more on the ability. If it was something like "Giant. Battlecry: Deal damage equal to its attack to all minions." Then suddenly it is a way more interesting mechanic.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah I'm thinking like "summon a minion with cost equal to this minion's attack" or "give this minion's stats to a friendly minion", maybe even "deal damage qual to this minion's attack" in a class other than Warrior

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I think Tarim and Window Shopper have the most interesting Miniaturize designs, in that their main body and tiny version have very different uses (Magtheridon excepted) rather than one just being a cheaper, better version of the other, so I hope they're heading in that direction

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
Previously if you got one of the highlander cards from Wishing Well you couldn't play them for their effect unless it was late in the game and your deck was mostly empty but now you can't play them at all... unless you're playing Highlander Rogue, in which case you can use them right away. I've been toying with this deck lately and it's not good but it is a cool perk, and it's fun when you get Brann.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Appearently Brann is getting nerfed to 8 mana

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
While that would not surprise me, the official card library has been rife with errors, especially recently. Several Fall of Ulduum cards had blatantly incorrect text for something like six months last year. I wouldn’t take it as gospel until we get patch notes.

I will say that at eight Brann seems wildly unplayable.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Saddle Up is also listed as 4 mana for what it’s worth

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
there is nothing more infuriating than a wondrous orb that decides to cast blizzard every single time

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

bravesword posted:

I hope they fixed the shop on MacOS until then so I can actually buy the mini-set lmao

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Today's episode in "why does Priest always have to suck":

Highlander vs. Value Death Knight. I played four Elises in a row... and still almost lost. Probably would have if my opponent wouldn't have inexplicably killed my Ra-den that had 20/20 of Elise inside. Just give me a loving control wincon Blizzard, please god

edit: https://hsreplay.net/replay/8q2fgqVcbtNGkCyJWn2N9N

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Zarimi is right there and is a tier 2, arguably t1 deck. Better than some classes

Control as an archetype is kept down by warrior's inevitability and its unmatched late game value. Wheel of death was a better, faster more inevitable wincon but that deck getting dumpstered is actually what pushed warrior into the place that keeps every other control deck out. You might be able to do a similar thing as Wheel if we still had rivendare...

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Shabadu posted:

Zarimi is right there and is a tier 2, arguably t1 deck. Better than some classes

Control as an archetype is kept down by warrior's inevitability and its unmatched late game value. Wheel of death was a better, faster more inevitable wincon but that deck getting dumpstered is actually what pushed warrior into the place that keeps every other control deck out. You might be able to do a similar thing as Wheel if we still had rivendare...

They overshot bad on the Zarimi nerf, I don't think he's been online once in aggro priest for me since the nerf (in like 30 games). Going to cut him, not sure what for yet though.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Whelp wrangler whelps and your 4x 1 drops that you can copy with projectionist or pip, and a single clay matriarch make it easy but more of a turn 8 or 9 play than it was online right at 6 before.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Some cool cards revealed so far:

Priest gets a 4 mana 2 durability location that gives you a 1 mana 1/1 copy of an enemy minion (Reno priest stealing Brann from the warriors?)

Hunter gets a card draw secret: when your opponent plays a minion, weapon, or spell you draw a card of the other two types (i.e. they play a spell you draw a minion and a weapon)

Hunter also gets a 5 mana 4/4 mech-beast battlecry: recast a copy of each friendly triggered secret

Spell mage gets 2 mana deal 6 damage split among enemy minions (3 damage if your deck has minions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
That hunter legendary that recasts secrets is gonna get annoying real fast.