Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DeadlyMuffin posted:

A cynical person would say they took out the antisemitic rhetoric because they were taking flak for it, not because they didn't actually believe it in the first place.

I meant "cynical in the service of framing every event in Hamas' history in the most flattering possible lens." Of course cynical enemies of Hamas say "they still hate Jews, they just don't pursue those politics anymore because it's not advantageous."

In my view a party IS the politics it pursues. People can have secret agendas, parties can't because they have no private monologue. They can have secret tactics but not secret politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I meant "cynical in the service of framing every event in Hamas' history in the most flattering possible lens." Of course cynical enemies of Hamas say "they still hate Jews, they just don't pursue those politics anymore because it's not advantageous."

In my view a party IS the politics it pursues. People can have secret agendas, parties can't because they have no private monologue. They can have secret tactics but not secret politics.

Just gonna have to disagree with you there, known dog whistles are a thing outside of a party's official policies. Not saying this is true for Hamas, but in general political parties can absolutely have unstated agendas. Like Republicans and minorities.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

thank god for biden's red line

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Parties are just groups of individuals, if an individual can have a secret agenda so can a group.

E: not saying Hamas has a secret agenda, just noting this argument for why not makes no sense

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 8, 2024

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Interesting post, I mostly agree with it.

Hamas put together some pretty old sources in that original charter. They include that Hadith about how every rock and tree is going to help Muslims kill the Jews, it might not date back to Muhammad but it probably does date back to the earliest centuries of Islam. If you wanted to do the orientalist argument that Hamas is merely acting out some ancient Arab fantasy of killing all the Jews, you'd focus on this. Many people do, for that reason.

But the tone of most of the rhetoric against Jews in that charter is NOT reminiscent of that Hadith, it doesn't have end-of-times religious undertones. Instead it rants about how Jews run the world and must be exposed and expelled, exemplified by its use of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, which isn't very old, but which is emblematic of that ancient nativist-conspiracist strand of European antisemitism.

Like you said, vicious, pogromist antisemitism is not indigenous to the Middle East, at least not from before the success of Zionism totally warped cultural and political stances toward Judaism. But when a demand for that sort of rhetoric arose among enemies of the Israeli state, Europe was able to supply it, and it really did come finely aged.

So if Biden had said that Hamas circa the 1990s was driven by an ancient desire to kick out the Jews, he'd be technically correct - the only issue being that, like you say, the obvious implication is some Orientalist idea that Muslims intrinsically hate Jews in this way. But "Jews run the world and secretly plot to destroy us all, we must purify our nation of them" is something Hamas imported, not inherited. The ancient desire wasn't passed down from Arab to Arab but from Spainard to Englishman to Pole to Russian etc. And then Hamas bought it at a used book store.

But he's not correct saying it today, because at age 29, Hamas expunged that rhetoric because it no longer met their needs. A cynical ideologue could say they actually decolonized themselves from Western bigotry, but I think that's giving them too little credit as political actors. They made an ugly rational choice to adopt Jew-hating rhetoric when it was useful to them, and a beautiful rational choice to discard it when it wasn't anymore.

This whole thing about "ancient hatred" is fundamentally stupid. Palestinians who hate Jews - and there absolutely are some - aren't hating Jews because a hadeeth told them to (complete misunderstanding of Islamic attitudes towards religion rather than race aside on your part). They're doing it because the people killing their family, humiliating them at checkpoints, forcing them off their land etc are people who say they are allowed to do this by God as Jews, who are racially superior as Jews, and who are doing this in the name of the Jewish state. Some Palestinians feel towards Jews exactly as some copts feel towards Egyptian Muslims, some sunni Muslims feel towards Syrian Alawis, some Poles felt towards Germans etc. "Ancient hatred" is merely an attempt to divorce the hatred's link to the ruling group's oppression, reducing it to some irrational hatred coming out of nowhere.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Parties are just groups of individuals, if an individual can have a secret agenda so can a group.

E: not saying Hamas has a secret agenda, just noting this argument for why not makes no sense

And individuals are just groups of atoms, so if an atom can become ionized, so can an entire individual, right? A political party is composed of people and the infrastructure that links them, that doesn't mean a political party is a big person that itself can do everything a person can. Mitt Romney was wrong, corporations aren't people, my friend

The way that political parties maintain themselves over the course of decades, as individual members leave or die, is by maintaining a political platform through which new members are recruited. That's why a political party can't long-term say it's one thing while aspiring to be another, because ultimately it'll be populated by people who just aspire to be in the party as it describes itself.

This is what happened to the US Republican party as it went far-right cynically, and then got stuck that way because it was populated by believers.

Another way of putting this: even individual human beings struggle with cognitive dissonance between what they say they are and what they think they are - the speech exerts a pressure on the thoughts. Because political parties are constantly updating themselves so the average member of the party has been around for a very brief chunk of its lifespan, they're even less able to maintain a secret understanding like that.

"Even though we SAY we're not antisemitic, and we don't pursue antisemitism in our policies, we are just waiting for the day to do it, don't tell anyone" seems like a very very challenging policy to maintain in a political party. Just like its opposite "even though we SAY we're antisemitic, and our policies ARE antisemitic, it is just a temporary condition, we really know the Jews are fine" - that party will become populated and then led by idealogues who don't really know that at all.

WarpedLichen posted:

Just gonna have to disagree with you there, known dog whistles are a thing outside of a party's official policies. Not saying this is true for Hamas, but in general political parties can absolutely have unstated agendas. Like Republicans and minorities.

If you think the Republican party's racism is "unstated", sure, but I don't think so. I don't know the history here very well but I think the transition from directly naming Black people as targets of repression to instead using doghwistles did correspond to a shift in how White Supremacy was/is maintained - not so much the state attacking Black people directly but instead targeting the disparities White supremacy had already produced (wealth, particularly landownership, access to education, exposure to racial bias from individual people, concentration in impoverished places etc). And you could do a whole political-economic analysis of how this made the state more flexible as an agent of class dominance, but it wouldn't be appropriate for the I/P thread.

But it would be appropriate to note that I think this is the dream of liberal Zionism: it's no longer necessary for the state to engage in vulgar, explicit racial supremacy, it's enough for the state to operate via dogehistle policy.

Hong XiuQuan posted:

This whole thing about "ancient hatred" is fundamentally stupid. Palestinians who hate Jews - and there absolutely are some -

The way I think about is that Refaat Alareer said most Jews were evil when he was a 33-year-old professor who taught Israeli poetry among other subjects. Most Palestinians, particularly most Gazans, are younger than that, and don't study or teach Israeli poetry. It would be silly to expect them to be more woke to the tactical and moral mistakes of antisemitic thought. As you say, this is what happens under racialized oppression. Alareer changed his mind when he encountered Jews outside the context of vicious racist supremacy and got to see them as ordinary neighbors - most Palestinians have not had that encounter because the State of Israel works to prevent it.

quote:

aren't hating Jews because a hadeeth told them to (complete misunderstanding of Islamic attitudes towards religion rather than race aside on your part).

Hamas obviously thought it was relevant to include in their manifesto, I don't know Palestine better than they did. Then they took it out because they thought it was no longer important - I still don't know Palestine better than they do.

One of the advantages of antisemitism as a political organizing principle is that racialized themes can be put into a religious framework and religious themes can be put into a racialized framework. Obviously the authors of that Hadith did not have access to racialized antisemitism, I'd say the earliest thing that can be called antisemitism at all, of the kind that would develop during the Spanish Inquisition. But they created potent religious rhetoric against Jews that could be put into a racialized framework, e.g. pairing it with the Protocols of the Elders of Zion in a manifesto about resisting a racial-supremacist state.

Other examples would be anti-Jewish rhetoric in the Christian Bible, which is not at all racialized, but you can go around today and see who's using "Synagogue of Satan." Or Martin Luther whose transition from philosemite to antisemite was entirely characterized by Jewish rejection of Protestantism, becoming a huge figure in the ideology of the Nazi state, which could not have cared less if a Jew converted to Protestantism or not.

Obviously Hamas's opposition the State of Israel isn't because the state or its citizens are Jewish but because of the Nakba and every subsequent Israeli horror which has made life in Palestine so horrible. To promote and power this struggle, they used to use rhetoric and ideology that really was both ancient and hateful. So it's possible to do so, but then they stopped doing it and that's why Hamas should be understood as not antisemitic - because they deliberately abandoned those politics as a tactical decision, not because it's impossible for a party to incorporate an ideology older than itself (false) or because it has legitimate material reasons to oppose the state of Israel (true but not incompatible with using antisemitic ideology).

Holy poo poo this post is way too long. Sorry I was writing it between sets and trying to respond thoughtfully to three replies. I'll take some time off the thread - free Palestine

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 8, 2024

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

And individuals are just groups of atoms, so if an atom can become ionized, so can an entire individual, right? A political party is composed of people and the infrastructure that links them, that doesn't mean a political party is a big person that itself can do everything a person can. Mitt Romney was wrong, corporations aren't people, my friend

I didn't say a group can do everything an individual can do, I said if an individual can have a secret agenda so can a group. Two individuals with a secret agenda agree to work together, now they're a group. This doesn't change if you add a third person or a fourth, etc.

The way that political parties maintain themselves over the course of decades, as individual members leave or die, is by maintaining a political platform through which new members are recruited. That's why a political party can't long-term say it's one thing while aspiring to be another, because ultimately it'll be populated by people who just aspire to be in the party as it describes itself.
Ah now the goalposts move to "long term", so they can do it short term then.

But of course this is wrong too. An organization can have a public face to recruit members and also have private goals that only the inner circle knows. The inner circle can be refreshed by new people from the general membership who are judged to be reliable enough to be told the truth.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For what it's worth, I'm inclined to believe Hamas' new charter on the grounds that:
- The brutally young age of the average Gazan + constant assassinations by Israel mean that the majority of Hamas will be on the younger side.
- with the advent of the internet, young Palestinians in 2024 have been exposed to more antizionist Jews than they would have been in 1987.
- Hamas & satellite militias have been keen to praise jewish antizionist movements.
- As an Islamist organization they presumably don't take their devotion lightly; Naskh is the concept of abrogating hadiths that contradict, such that the newer hadith supersedes the other when they contradict, but neither are repealed. I can imagine that this concept would apply to Hamas' own documents; Hamas' original charter only refers to "the Jews", the new charter & present statements clarify "the Jews" as "the people of Israel who are killing & robbing us", the expectation would be that you apply this retroactively.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

I wouldn't say there exists an 'ancient desire' to exterminate Jews, in Palestine or the Middle East. From what I understand, significant antisemitism in the region is fairly recent, for certain reasons, otherwise the persecution has been in the same range of broad proselytizing for Islam, Zoroastrianism, Christianity, Hellenistic Paganism, etcetera. There were wars against Judaic civilizations, but they typically fell under quelling revolts (Rome) or seeking to convert those of other religions (Umar). One such instance of the latter resulted in modern Palestinians.

You could argue that he's just referring to a vague and abstract miasma of antisemitism, but there's a far better argument to be made WRT genocidal antisemitism in Europe/West. For some fairly obvious reasons. And it's in rather poor taste for the West to project those sins into a larger pro-Israel narrative that involves Hamas.

I'm open to arguments otherwise, I won't pretend to know everything about the history of the region, but that's what I understand of it.

All this is to say, I don't think Biden is a historical nor religious scholar. I believe he's referring to Arabs. Hamas is Palestinian who are Arabs, and Arabs hate Jews. In the same speech he denounced the protests. We're back to the Bush era.

This is a discussion I've witnessed unfold on social media after Biden's "ancient desires for elimination" remark. Are there any good and comprehensive books on the history and relationship between islam and judaism or judaism in the Middle East? From my understanding jews were broadly speaking safer and more accepted in muslim societies than christian ones.

There also seems to be a push on social media from zionists to shove the responsibility of the Holocaust onto the Palestinians because the Grand Mufti had a meeting with Hitler this one time. The Arab Legion faught on the side of the allies against the nazis anyway but that doesn't seem to count for much.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Angry Avocado posted:

This is a discussion I've witnessed unfold on social media after Biden's "ancient desires for elimination" remark. Are there any good and comprehensive books on the history and relationship between islam and judaism or judaism in the Middle East? From my understanding jews were broadly speaking safer and more accepted in muslim societies than christian ones.

There also seems to be a push on social media from zionists to shove the responsibility of the Holocaust onto the Palestinians because the Grand Mufti had a meeting with Hitler this one time. The Arab Legion faught on the side of the allies against the nazis anyway but that doesn't seem to count for much.

Netanyahu tried this like ten years ago but it got shut down pretty fast. But tofay I can see it actually gainin traction - even though plans for the Holocaust were already underway months before that meeting happened.

https://time.com/4084301/hitler-grand-mufi-1941/

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Netanyahu tried this like ten years ago but it got shut down pretty fast. But tofay I can see it actually gainin traction - even though plans for the Holocaust were already underway months before that meeting happened.

https://time.com/4084301/hitler-grand-mufi-1941/

When he tried it originally Germany actually shot him down. Now, I’m sure they’ll go all in on it, given the ongoing project to displace their Holocaust guilt onto Palestinians more specifically and Arabs as a whole.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Biden admin appears to be punting their own report on Israel committing warcrimes

https://twitter.com/dave_brown24/status/1787928735414419712

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Perfect picture for this

:shrug:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

Biden admin appears to be punting their own report on Israel committing warcrimes

So it's safe to assume that they did, in fact, find Israel guilty of breaking US and International law?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So it looks like Israel has gotten to the point where they are blowing up refugee tents in Rafah. (NSFW but no gore)
https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/s/6MSqDhmiCd

I guess that must have been a Hamas tent.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

So it looks like Israel has gotten to the point where they are blowing up refugee tents in Rafah. (NSFW but no gore)

Jesus Christ, those comments. I don't suggest reading them (or honestly watching the video either).

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Charliegrs posted:

gently caress off, racist.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Guardian live blog posted:

The US state department spokesperson, Matthew Miller, has confirmed that the US has paused a shipment of weapons to Israel and is “reviewing others”.

Miller, at briefing today, cited “the way Israel has conducted its operations in the past” as well as concerns about Israel’s actions in Rafah, Channel 4 News’ Siobhan Kennedy reported.

Even though Israel has said the Rafah operation is limited in scope, “intent is one thing, results are another,” Miller told reporters, adding:

The results have been far too many innocent civilians dying..that’s why we have such grave concerns.

Miller also said the State Department will not be delivering its report to Congress on whether Israel has violated international humanitarian law during its war in Gaza, CNN reported. He added:

We expect to deliver it in the very near future, in the coming days.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2024/may/08/biden-trump-election-politics-updates

We'll see if they hold to this but it seems like there's a small maybe possible actual red line for Biden finally.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

kronix posted:

This is just unfair. Israel isn’t just under some perceived threat that they invented out of thin air, they’re literally constantly under threat of terror attacks. In 2021 at the peak of Covid, Hamas launched 3,600 rockets at Israeli civilians. If you don’t think that having hundreds of Israelis killed or wounded over the last 20 years doesn’t affect the psyche of the average Israeli then it’s not worth debating anymore.

fool of sound posted:

Let's check Israel's numbers for October 2022 through September 2023, the year leading up to the festival attack: 47 deaths, 146 injured. 193 total victims. So 2 per 100000 Israelis. Those are from 2339 "terrorist attacks". The overwhelming majority of "attacks" that Israel claims are victimless. They're vandalism and other non-violent acts of protest.

That's about twice as much as Americans who died in 9/11 (a little under 3000 out of a little under 300 million) and most of us remember how much that attack warped Americans culture and enflamed horribly racist, genocidal rhetoric.

Maybe a more foolproof way to describe it is this: far fewer civilians died on Oct 7 2023 than September 11 2001. But the average 2024-Isrseli is much more likely to know someone who died on Oct 7 than your average 2002-American is to know someone who died on Sep 11. Greater proximity (in geography, cultural identity, social networks etc) to the victims of a terrorist attack makes the attack more terrorizing, and makes it easier for demagogues to exploit that terror.
Setting aside Secretary Kissinger's point that doing this by percentages is specious in the first place, let's look at the actual numbers. Because unless I misunderstand, people are losing track of the numbers being used and the relevant points made. First there were comparisons between 2022-2023 Israel and 9/11 (comparing the total number of Israeli deaths and injuries to the death toll of 9/11), then comparisons between 9/11 and 10/7.

The death toll of 10/7 isn't a worthwhile data point because this is a conversation about the development of violent Zionism over the years and decades leading up to it, in response to terrorist attacks on Israel.

In 2022, 29 Israelis (not counting 3 foreigners) were killed by terrorist attacks. (This was the body count of over 2,200 "attacks." For context, 204 Palestinians were killed by the IDF and Israeli settlers that year, about 2/3 in the West Bank and 1/3 in Gaza.) Israel estimates their 2022 population at 9,656,000, so that's about 1 out of every 333,000 Israelis killed by terrorism.

For comparison, 9/11 killed 1 out of every 95,892 Americans in 2001. CF was taking the total number of Israeli injuries and deaths in 2022, as reported by Israel, and comparing them to the death toll of 9/11. My point is, it's not like Israeli was experiencing anything comparable to 9/11 year after year. (This is also after setting aside any distinction between the IDF and civilians.)

If the US had experienced an annual death toll from terrorism relative to Israel in 2022, it would be 998 victims. For comparison, mass shootings killed 762 Americans in 2022 and COVID contributed to the deaths of almost 245,000 an average of 671 per day.

Anyway. Based on these numbers as well as a lot of other reasons, I don't buy kronix's argument that Israel has a violent, genocidal culture because each and every Israeli lives with the constant, justified fear of being the victim of a terrorist attack. I'm sure it adds fuel to the fire, but I don't see it as the primary reason that a colonial settler state project is racist and genocidal.

You can, for example, look at other nations considered to be severely impacted by terrorism over the past 10 or 20 years, and you won't find many straight-across comparisons to Israel: an ethnostate that enshrines racial supremacism, maintains a captive population, where gangs commit acts of racial violence with the aid and protection of the police.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Article says that they're telling Congress it's the literal meaning of indefinitely ("I tried to get my homework done and need an extension, it'll being soon") and not the figurative ("lol get hosed"). We'll see whether that's the case.

Randalor posted:

So it's safe to assume that they did, in fact, find Israel guilty of breaking US and International law?

That's the most likely tea leafy explanation imo: that there's a sizable faction with citations that can't be easily ignored (like, for example, the dozens of incidents discussed in this thread) saying they need to tell Congress it's war crimes all the way down.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Who could have ever seen this coming

Goatse James Bond posted:

Article says that they're telling Congress it's the literal meaning of indefinitely ("I tried to get my homework done and need an extension, it'll being soon") and not the figurative ("lol get hosed"). We'll see whether that's the case.

That's the most likely tea leafy explanation imo: that there's a sizable faction with citations that can't be easily ignored (like, for example, the dozens of incidents discussed in this thread) saying they need to tell Congress it's war crimes all the way down.

it's significant that it is being delayed because that lets the US continue to provide arms in the interim. the designation is significant because under US law you can't provide weapons to an entity using them for war crimes*. so it is more than just being delayed because the homework isn't done, the delay is happening at a time where Israel is launching a new offensive and does not want supplies to suddenly stop

*like many US laws, good luck at getting this effectively applied when most institutional inertia goes against applying it. ironically it may actually ended up applied to Israel only because they're not even really bothering to pretend that they aren't just wholesale murdering civilians at an exceptionally high rate

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 8, 2024

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Goatse James Bond posted:

Isn't the official report on Israel having non-treaty nuclear weapons also presently stuck in a "we're currently doing research (lol not really) on the topic, results pending" status so it never has to address the obvious?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Dunno if this is old news ITT but I think it makes it pretty plain

https://x.com/ZevShalev/status/1787869320384577760

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://x.com/axios/status/1788339370837127315

This the first time any American admin has ceased supplying Israel and said it publicly.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Gucci Loafers posted:

This the first time any American admin has ceased supplying Israel and said it publicly.

I thought Reagan cut back military aid (F-16s?) to get Israel to get out of Lebanon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Our Genocider In-Chief Has already walked it back to attacking Rafah is okay, just not "the population centers"

https://twitter.com/YonahLieberman/status/1788339150610907570

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Gucci Loafers posted:

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1788338620195017001

It only took over 40,000 (let’s be honest, when accounting for disease and famine well over 100,000) dead Palestinians to get to this tiny first step.

Neo Rasa posted:

Our Genocider In-Chief Has already walked it back to attacking Rafah is okay, just not "the population centers"

https://twitter.com/YonahLieberman/status/1788339150610907570

Welp, I guess things have to keep getting a bit worse first.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 9, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
what step, nothing has actually been done

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I thought Reagan cut back military aid (F-16s?) to get Israel to get out of Lebanon.

Good point.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Those tweets are referencing different clips from the exact same interview. The whole thing will be airing in a bit and an idea of the actual policy actions being taken will probably be clearer seeing the whole thing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Also George HW Bush threatened to stop loans to Israel if it went towards settlements, which worked.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Randalor posted:

You can find evidence of Israel commiting war crimes on literally every social media site online, and much of that evidence has been posted willingly by members of the Israeli army, so yes. Yes they found that.

Remember that time Israeli soldiers dressed up as doctors to infiltrate a hospital in order to execute a man who was already captured and also paralyzed from the waist down without a trial? That's just one example of the kind of things I'm talking about.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

what step, nothing has actually been done

Austen confirmed earlier that they've delayed a shipment already. I already posted a quote earlier, here's another article about it:

https://apnews.com/article/israel-weapons-shipment-us-eed365ebef0477ba74bf9848cacae4f4

Article posted:

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin earlier Wednesday confirmed the weapons delay, telling the Senate Appropriations subcommittee on defense that the U.S. paused “one shipment of high payload munitions.”

“We’re going to continue to do what’s necessary to ensure that Israel has the means to defend itself,” Austin said. “But that said, we are currently reviewing some near-term security assistance shipments in the context of unfolding events in Rafah.”

It also comes as the Biden administration is due to deliver a first-of-its-kind formal verdict this week on whether the airstrikes on Gaza and restrictions on delivery of aid have violated international and U.S. laws designed to spare civilians from the worst horrors of war. A decision against Israel would further add to pressure on Biden to curb the flow of weapons and money to Israel’s military.

Biden signed off on the pause in an order conveyed last week to the Pentagon, according to U.S. officials who were not authorized to comment on the matter. The White House National Security Council sought to keep the decision out of the public eye for several days until it had a better understanding of the scope of Israel’s intensified military operations in Rafah and until Biden could deliver a long-planned speech on Tuesday to mark Holocaust Remembrance Day.

That said it's shameful it took this long to even do this.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://twitter.com/9NewsAdel/status/1788404179033338290

Pro-Palestine protesters at Adelaide University are now also being attacked by having fireworks thrown at their encampments to the sound of crickets from our elected officials.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

Testekill posted:

https://twitter.com/9NewsAdel/status/1788404179033338290

Pro-Palestine protesters at Adelaide University are now also being attacked by having fireworks thrown at their encampments to the sound of crickets from our elected officials.

Yeah things are getting nastier on the Australian campuses. I took some food to the kids camping at Monash, and there were people draped in Israeli flags standing everywhere. It's remarkable to me that the polarisation has reached the point that people are happy to walk around wearing the flag of a country engaged in that level of state sponsored murder.

Waddle Bourgeoidee
Apr 2, 2024

Nucleic Acids posted:

It only took over 40,000 (let’s be honest, when accounting for disease and famine well over 100,000) dead Palestinians to get to this tiny first step.

Don't get your hopes up. Remember that over the past 70 or so years, the United States has sent well over 300 billion USD to the State of Israel. I hate to say it, but this may all just be a ruse aiming to appease the American public outraged at their nation's blatant support for a genocidal ethnostate. I suppose the Biden administration could also have orchestrated this PR stunt to appeal to a college-age demographic and secure more votes for the upcoming election, but that seems unlikely.

No matter the motivation, it goes without saying that this delay in weapons and aid will have significant implications for liberating Palestine if Biden is sincere in this statement. And that's a big if since, as reinforced by the US-backed coups in Guatemala, Chile, and Iran, America has little to no regard for the morality of her allies as long as they readily defend and buy resources from her. Thus, unless Israel suddenly refuses to suck America's cock dry, the U.S. will feel no remorse for supplying the Apartheid state with an endless supply of arms and explosives that will inevitably take countless lives and decimate an abundance of homes in Gaza. 

And, as disappointing as it may seem, the prospect of a sudden change in heart without ulterior motives seems quite farfetched given the current state of American foreign policy.

Waddle Bourgeoidee fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 9, 2024

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I think raising the blood pressure of people like this is good, even if it's not a huge material shift in policy.

https://twitter.com/itamarbengvir/status/1788458123436433783

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I think raising the blood pressure of people like this is good, even if it's not a huge material shift in policy.

Similarly, this was posted in the current events thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's a start. Hope to see many more tweets like this from Ben-Gvir in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
ap reporting the first ship carrying aid intended for new pier left cyprus today. The bit that caught my eye was unnamed cypriot officials reiterating that cyprus conducted a screening of cargo with israeli oversight and "no other inspection is forseen...". not leaving much cover for israeli bottlenecks (not that they need it)