Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm glad Venus is out of the picture but that was a very ho-hum episode. The best part was the 'previously on Survivor' segment.
Venus going really helps clear the path for one of the bigger players to win.

And that player is going to be Charlie. That was one of the most winner's edit episodes I've seen in a long time. Even though Maria wanted Venus out and he spent so much of the episode talking about needing to take out Q, the whole thing is told from his POV and this wasn't given to us as a Maria win at all. And when do we ever get multiple confessionals about letting another player take credit for a move because it'll heighten their target and wash them out in the end? He's got practically everyone in the game waiting on standby for him to make the call that it's Maria's time. And he's got time because even at 5 he could easily marshal the votes against Q and Maria. We saw him having in depth talks with Kenzie this episode and we know he's great friends with Ben.

I'd say his biggest risk is if Maria goes out and everyone has time to turn on him after, so he'd be better off if their rage stays on Q at 6 and then he takes out Maria at 5 although that's pushing it pretty close to the edge if she were to win immunity, so I guess he could vote out Maria next and then hope people hate Q enough to have him be the target at 5 but I don't think I'd want to let him get that close to the end. It'd get too tempting for everyone.

Another big L for Kenzie this episode with Venus going after we get a Kenzie confessional about Venus being her best bet.

Tyberius posted:

Ok I wonder what we didn't see to make Ben be the lone vote for Kenzie, were they afraid she had an idol and was a safety vote?
this is usually the answer and we know Charlie shared with others about Venus's veiled hints so that's all the more reason for it. Thanks to that vote, even if Venus had idoled it would be Kenzie going home and not a green but what's interesting is they didn't just let it be Q... or put a second vote on Q in case Venus played SitD. Kind of indicates that not just did they decide to target Venus over Q, they actively decided to keep Q around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, it's tricky between whether to go for Q or Maria first with what limited time is remaining in the game. I think Charlie has to target Maria; if she sneaks into the end she probably wins. Q takes up a spot and throws out a lot of chaos, but at least he's beatable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Someone pointed out that licorice has gluten, yet Liz was eating that no problem.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

she can do that now because she stood up for herself. Didn't you hear?

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

ApplesandOranges posted:

Someone pointed out that licorice has gluten, yet Liz was eating that no problem.

She might not know and she ate about a half inch of it so it simply might not matter

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I dont think liz specified it was gluten just an allergy to coconuts and seafood which honestly are fairly common allergies

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Oh ow, ouch, that Immunity choke...

My three season fantasy streak ends here; I simply didn't clock Charlie as the player he was and I'm paying for that (plus yet another -6 points for Venus going home with an idol).

I'm in the camp of thinking Maria is a decoy winner. My guess is her and Q as the next two out, with Charlie winning if he makes it through fire or Kenzie defaulting into victory against Liz and Ben.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
We haven't heard one mention of getting Charlie out but if he makes it to the end, who wouldn't vote for him?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Charlie is definitely getting that winners edit going into finale. Kenzie is getting a "we love this person and her vibe, so we're going to keep showing her confessionals" edit. She has a chance, but it's a narrow path to get her there. I think she can do it, but if Charlie or Maria are there with her, I don't think it would work out for her.

Bhanu did call her the stealth winner mermaid or whatever didn't he, so maybe that was a clue about her eventual victory.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Aww man with Venus gone there is literally nobody left I care to see win. Looking forward to seeing how she burned herself, last episode seemed like she could've stabilized.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STING 64 posted:

I dont think liz specified it was gluten just an allergy to coconuts and seafood which honestly are fairly common allergies

She can eat seafood, Tevin and Hunter apparently got crabs for her before they were voted out. She's also allergic to chicken (but not beef).

Also Jeff said specifically in this episode that there was gluten free pizza so Liz could eat.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

ApplesandOranges posted:

She can eat seafood, Tevin and Hunter apparently got crabs for her before they were voted out. She's also allergic to chicken (but not beef).

Also Jeff said specifically in this episode that there was gluten free pizza so Liz could eat.

Man it'd be real hosed if she made that up.

If Charlie ain't eliminated he's got the huge rear end appeal of being a Swiftie and a nice guy overall.

Maria is nice but she's too under the radar and safe, granted it gives her the ability to talk to anyone it is too safe.

Only way Q goes home is in a to-go bag if Liz just fuckin eats him.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Gluten allergies typically just manifest as stomach cramps, and indigestion. She hasn't pooped in 20 days. That small amount of gluten is probably negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Why are people so intent on calling her a liar and a fraud?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's also worth noting that with gluten you can have an intolerance, an allergy, or celiac disease. They're three completely different animals.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

There's even degrees within those :toot:. It's a Big Mess.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's also worth noting that with gluten you can have an intolerance, an allergy, or celiac disease. They're three completely different animals.

All allergies are like this! I don't eat coconut because it makes my mouth itchy but otherwise has no adverse effects on me. If my brother eats coconut he breaks out in a rash.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Celiac is special though. With that one your digestive system simply doesn't process gluten, so the big proteins make it into your small intestine and chip away at your villi; it goes on your entire life until it's done enough damage to your system for you to notice it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Celiac is special though. With that one your digestive system simply doesn't process gluten, so the big proteins make it into your small intestine and chip away at your villi; it goes on your entire life until it's done enough damage to your system for you to notice it.

I used to work with someone that had I think Refractory Celiac? Super dangerous with like, immediate Bad effects if she ever ate something contaminated. That's super duper rare tho

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm allergic to penicillin so I always have to put in special requests to get mold-free food.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if i eat shellfish i turn blue and die

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

STING 64 posted:

if i eat shellfish i turn blue and die

I've never understood claims like this because that's a broad category (not saying you're full of poo poo, genuinely confused)

Arthropods? All of them?
Mollusks? All of them?

What about squid?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rubber Chicken posted:

I've never understood claims like this because that's a broad category (not saying you're full of poo poo, genuinely confused)

Arthropods? All of them?
Mollusks? All of them?

What about squid?

They all share a protein (or maybe something else idk) that causes an allergic reaction. I'm the same way. I'm also allergic to tree nuts and it's just all of them. cashews, pistachios, walnuts, etc.

Peanuts (which I am also allergic to lol gently caress me right?) are different than tree nuts because they aren't in the same "family."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s entirely possible there are some nuts or seafood I’m not allergic to. I’m not an expert on the subject. But given the odds and risk I’m content to say “I’m allergic to seafood and nuts” and avoid them entirely even when someone inevitably starts trying to narrow that down.

To be honest after nearly 20 years of living with food allergies I just think for some reason there’s some people who just instinctively doubt you when you say it and take it upon themselves to reason or trick the truth out of you.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rubber Chicken posted:

Arthropods? All of them?
Mollusks? All of them?

What about squid?

after a near death experience with shrimp i have not exactly gone out of my way to experiment. i like being alive.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
4 players in one season (5 if you count Randin) going home with idols in their pocket is wild.

I wonder if Maria dragging Q along as a goat poses an actual threat to her game. We know Liz, Tiff, Venus, Kenzie and Ben have/have had issues with him. The bitter jury thing is not a very "new era" way of approaching the game, but people have gotten pretty torqued about Q. Maybe that plus the rock paper scissors fiasco is enough to put a serious dent in her respectability.

Realistically though, she's probably a goner as soon she doesn't win immunity. Things do seem to be lining up well game-wise and edit-wise for Charlie. The main question I have is whether or not it's worth getting Kenzie out before Q. I just would not want to be sitting next to her at the end. She's got that intangible likability (even despite some of the lovely stuff she did earlier on in the season) and social ease, and articulates herself well enough to be a strong FTC performance away from a win.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Oh i definitely don't question anyone's food restrictions in practice but I'm intellectually curious because even "fish" is a wildly broad category before you add mollusks and arthropods

It feels like if someone said they're allergic to all "land animals" because they can't have pork

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
So I finally got to sit down and actually watch the episode. Maria wanted Q over Liz 100% to keep him happy, own that decision, don't get all indignant when someone calls you out on it, it looks more respectable than you saying bullshit about who really needed it.

Venus was dumb as poo poo as well, they have all had her name on their lips, why think you can hold onto it? You know Q has at least some allies and no other name comes up and you even SAY you don't want to go home with it?!

Meanwhile, Liz can't have enough attention and did by far the dumbest vote despite her supervillain nemesis Q, she voted Venus and it made zero sense.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Liz is going to win this whole thing. She's learned to express herself and will be able to sway the jury, also curing her allergies in the process.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Actual Satan posted:

Liz is going to win this whole thing. She's learned to express herself and will be able to sway the jury, also curing her allergies in the process.

Amazing username/post combo

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

IcePhoenix posted:

They all share a protein (or maybe something else idk) that causes an allergic reaction. I'm the same way. I'm also allergic to tree nuts and it's just all of them. cashews, pistachios, walnuts, etc.

Peanuts (which I am also allergic to lol gently caress me right?) are different than tree nuts because they aren't in the same "family."

Peanuts are legumes.

There are weird connections. I forget the name of the chemical, but there's something in common between island fruits like coconut and pineapple. I've been told that pregnant women shouldn't eat them.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Thread alternating between Allergy Conversation and How The Women Of Survivor 46 Have Personally Wronged Me

I met Jess last night at the RHAP event, she's great

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Peanuts are legumes.

There are weird connections. I forget the name of the chemical, but there's something in common between island fruits like coconut and pineapple. I've been told that pregnant women shouldn't eat them.

Bromelain. It does a bunch of good stuff like reducing inflammation but can also interfere with blood clotting and in pregnant women I think it can relax the cervix and cause premature birth.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm watching Cook Islands and back then you could play your idol after the vote. When did that switch? The way it is now obviously requires some higher level thinking, but with this season being the only one I've seen in like 18 years, I'm starting to think they're not actually able to reach that higher level!

I heard they got rid of the challenges where you physically engage with others. The one in Cook Islands where they had to drag someone off a pole was brutal. The lady cop was getting choked out. I assume they got rid of these awhile ago, but they drat sure weren't making it past 2020...

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 10, 2024

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

I'm watching Cook Islands and back then you could play your idol after the vote. When did that switch?

It didn't. It's still that way. You play it between the voting and the reading of the votes.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I meant after the entire voting process including the outcome. Back then Jeff says the idol will be revealed if needed after the votes are counted.

Also it seems like an easy decision tree to decide if you should play it. If you hear the plan is for one person, you either believe them or don't. Then think about who would be next in line. If you are the only person you can come up with, then play the idol whether you believe the initial plan or not.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 10, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

My boy Charlie needs to win, but is this jury smart enough to appreciate his subtle brilliance??

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shemp the Stooge posted:

It didn't. It's still that way. You play it between the voting and the reading of the votes.

no, its evolved somewhat. the season they are referring to, in cook islands, you waited until all the votes were read then you could choose whether or not you wanted to play it. this type of idol would only appear two more times, once as the tyler perry idol in survivor cagayan which tony held, and as part of the Super Idol from kaoh rong that would have been formed if tai and scot pollard would have combined their idols.

the modern idol debuted the season immediately following Cook Islands in Fiji.

before cook islands, the hidden immunity idol could only be played before it was time to vote. this was only featured in guatemala.

KingKapalone posted:

I'm watching Cook Islands and back then you could play your idol after the vote. When did that switch? The way it is now obviously requires some higher level thinking, but with this season being the only one I've seen in like 18 years, I'm starting to think they're not actually able to reach that higher level!

I heard they got rid of the challenges where you physically engage with others. The one in Cook Islands where they had to drag someone off a pole was brutal. The lady cop was getting choked out. I assume they got rid of these awhile ago, but they drat sure weren't making it past 2020...

to add to this, around survivor micronesia, samoa, and heroes vs villains these types of challenges were really starting to develop a body count for injuries and medivacs, and they wound up being phased down to stop hurting contestants, and after the nastiness of season 39 when it comes to physical contact, basically all full contact challenges have been retired.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

STING 64 posted:

no, its evolved somewhat.

Wow, I have seen pretty much every season but I don't remember any of this, thanks for the info.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Maria had a twitter account she created after the 46 cast got back from filming, until sometime in the last few days. It looks like she nuked it.

My rankings of everyone are pretty much unchanged from last week, except now Liz has replaced Venus as one of the two suspected 0-vote-FTC Goats, alongside Q. She's very obviously still having a hard time out there and is letting everyone have it, which will sink whatever social game she had left. Soda also clearly still dislikes Liz (did they ever explain that?).

In fact it felt like pretty much everyone was taking turns to self-sabotage their social games this week.

It was possibly clever of Charlie & Kenzie to remove themselves from Maria's reward choice and force her to do something distasteful. But, if Maria really wanted to overrule them the way Q did off camera the week prior she probably could have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

I like Charlie and Kenzie, even have a soft spot for Ben and missed him this episode. Mostly I'm still sad to have lost my man Hunter. drat shame he didn't play his idol.

4 idols voted out now, maybe someone can find the 5th and not use it to save themselves in the last vote it can be used in, this season feels right for it. Let's match some records, people!!