Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Snowy posted:

It’s my gf’s birthday and I just now surprised her with a trip to Lisbon. It’s basically a surprise for me too because we’re leaving on Wednesday and this wasn’t planned out in the slightest.

We’re going to try to take quick little trips to Sintra, Cascais and Setubal if we can squeeze that in.

If there’s anything amazing and easy to do on short notice in those places I’m all ears. Also I could really use any advice on cheapish places to stay that aren’t dorm style hostels.

Sometimes I like planning ahead and doing lots of research, but this isn’t one of those times, oh poo poo what have I done :piss:

E- more info: I think we’re good for the Sintra area, we’d just do the obvious sightseeing stuff. In Lisbon I would personally want to go see a punk show and go to record stores but my gf and I have very different opinions on dense crowds and noise, so this time I’m looking more for beautiful sights and delicious food than the humble grime I tend to love. Near Setubal there’s a kayak tour to a cave we’re interested in. I’ll look for beautiful parks rather than crowded museums.

E2: also we’re old and boring and barely drink at all so we aren’t looking for wild nightlife, just happy healthy feel good chillaxing

The Lisbon aquarium is marvellous, I wouldn't miss it.

Lisbon is generally quite a pretty city to wander around, head for lunch/dinner down a cobbled street and on Praça do Comércio.

We stayed at Neya Lisboa, but that was almost 10 years ago. It was easy to use the metro, so you could consider staying a little outside the city centre for better value for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Recommendations for things to do in/around Barcelona, San Sebastian, Saint-Cirq-Lapopie, and Paris over the next few weeks? We've got a few days in each.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Recommendations for things to do in/around Barcelona, San Sebastian, Saint-Cirq-Lapopie, and Paris over the next few weeks? We've got a few days in each.

With just generic info like "things to do" then just check Wikitravel, as those places will have good detail for generic tourist info.

If you want more useful information, then what do you like to do? Have you been any of those places before? I know Paris quite well so if you have specific interests I can probably give more specific recommendations than "see the Eiffel tower, walk around the Marais, and go to the Louvre".

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Recommendations for things to do in/around Barcelona.

If you’ve ever thought to yourself “you know, I don’t need to pay money to go in that big church/building/museum that all the other tourists are doing, I can see it from the outside.” Just know that you absolutely need to go in and see La Sagrada. It is loving amazing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Saladman posted:

With just generic info like "things to do" then just check Wikitravel, as those places will have good detail for generic tourist info.

If you want more useful information, then what do you like to do? Have you been any of those places before? I know Paris quite well so if you have specific interests I can probably give more specific recommendations than "see the Eiffel tower, walk around the Marais, and go to the Louvre".

I've never been to Europe. I've already looked up more stuff than I can possibly do, so I was just wondering if anyone here had some personal "must dos" around any of those places. We're hoping to do museums, shopping, food, architecture, history, hiking, biking, kayaking, caves, live music, art, festivals, other cultural things, trains, parks, gardens, fountains, etc.

Elysium posted:

If you’ve ever thought to yourself “you know, I don’t need to pay money to go in that big church/building/museum that all the other tourists are doing, I can see it from the outside.” Just know that you absolutely need to go in and see La Sagrada. It is loving amazing.

Yeah... Barcelona is the first place we're flying into, and la segrada is already sold out for the time we're there. Does anyone know if it's still possible to buy tickets at the door?

E: got lucky and found two tickets on ticketswap!

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 7, 2024

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've never been to Europe. I've already looked up more stuff than I can possibly do, so I was just wondering if anyone here had some personal "must dos" around any of those places. We're hoping to do museums, shopping, food, architecture, history, hiking, biking, kayaking, caves, live music, art, festivals, other cultural things, trains, parks, gardens, fountains, etc.

Not trying to be a jerk with asking "give some more details", it's just that "must dos" vary enormously from person to person. e.g. most "top 10 things to do in [big European city]" lists are personally not my vibe, since I don't like huge crowds and have little interest in European art pre-1850, and zero interest in sculpture.

So on that line, I vastly prefer the palace of Fontainebleau to Versailles, and much prefer the Museum of Anthropology (Quai Branly) to the Louvre. So, my must sees are very different from people who love crowds and who love traditional European art. Despite that, I do really like Sacre Coeur because it has a great view of the city, and the metro station to get there (Abbesses) is famously bizarre -- it is a spiral staircase of what must be like 7 uninterrupted flights to get out of the metro (e: apparently 176 steps), so there are always old people struggling on the stairs, or people waiting for 5+ minutes to take the one tiny elevator.

Paris is extremely bike-able now, with lots of separated bike lanes. Their mayor has been going on a jihad against cars, which is generally great. We rented e-bikes and went around a couple months ago, and I was surprised at how extremely pleasant it was. We're going back this week by car, which will be less pleasant, but we have to pick something heavy up.

You can even do kayak tours near Paris now, particularl this one in Crecy la Chapelle looks cool to me and we're thinking about doing this weekend : https://locadventure.com . I notice their website is only in French, but English is very widely spoken in Paris. I speak French but occasionally in the past few years I've even come across people working service jobs who address us in English (even when we're speaking French between one-another), sometimes who don't even speak French at all. Menus, etc, are almost ubiquitously in English.

If you're into bouldering at all, that's the same Fontainebleau that's the bouldering Mecca as where the famous chateau is.

For any sort of artistic niche you have, there is inevitably going to be a world class museum for that. Me, I like photography and contemporary art, and they have that in spades. The Institut du Monde Arabe usually runs extremely good contemporary art exhibits (e.g. right now: https://www.imarabe.org/fr/expositions ). The Centre Pompidou does good art exhibits as well, although it usually focuses on modern art (which is an increasingly misleading and out of date term...) rather than contemporary art.

Avoid the Latin Quarter for food - it is on lists of "must see" in Paris for its boutiques and restaurants... but those lists are like 30+ years out of date. Now every boutique is a fridge magnet and novelty t-shirt store, and the restaurants all sell reheated chicken nuggets for €20 a plate. There's still some amazing stuff there like the Pantheon, just avoid the shops and restaurants.

For anything that is even remotely famous: you need to book in advance, at least one day. Don't show up to any museum that is even vaguely remotely famous, and expect to get tickets on the same day. Maybe you can - and maybe you can with a two hour queue - or maybe you can't. Anyway, decide the day before.

Same warning for food if you care about restaurants -- a large number of restaurants will book up a day or two (or even more) in advance. You can always get something decent to eat, but if you want something particular, then book in advance.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The queue for the Louvre isn't bad if you get there right when it opens.

Because everybody goes there - eat in advance of going to the Eiffel tower because there's not much good around there.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
As an art fan, I love the Louvre, but my big tips are: buy your ticket in advance and use the underground entrance in the Carrousel du Louvre as early as possible. It opens, I believe, at 9am. This is the entrance connected to the metro station via a series of underground passageways through a supposedly fancy shopping mall (it's not that fancy, despite what some want you to think), right by the inverted glass pyramid. Don't take any big bags or anything that might need to be checked, because you go through airport-styled security when you enter. You can usually get to the top floor of the Denon Wing, which is where the Italian Renaissance art (including the Mona Lisa) is, fairly quickly this way, before the crowds get too stupid.

I strongly recommend looking at a map and picking out a few things you really want to see in advance. The Louvre is massive. I've been there two or three times and I've still not seen everything. Personally, I'm a fan of the Northern European stuff at the top of the Richielieu Wing - Vermeer's Lacemaker is here, and it's usually very quiet compared to the Denon Wing.

Also, renovations are STILL going on at the Louvre, so certain galleries are closed on certain days. These are depicted on the website too, along with various other maps. Make sure something you really want to see isn't closed off when you go!

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Rick Steves has a good tour of the Louvre that I really enjoyed. (https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/paris)

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

How long are you in Barcelona? Don't want to recommend something you don't have time for. Glad you got Sagrada tickets.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hedgehog Pie posted:

As an art fan, I love the Louvre, but my big tips are: buy your ticket in advance and use the underground entrance in the Carrousel du Louvre as early as possible. It opens, I believe, at 9am. This is the entrance connected to the metro station via a series of underground passageways through a supposedly fancy shopping mall (it's not that fancy, despite what some want you to think), right by the inverted glass pyramid. Don't take any big bags or anything that might need to be checked, because you go through airport-styled security when you enter. You can usually get to the top floor of the Denon Wing, which is where the Italian Renaissance art (including the Mona Lisa) is, fairly quickly this way, before the crowds get too stupid.

I strongly recommend looking at a map and picking out a few things you really want to see in advance. The Louvre is massive. I've been there two or three times and I've still not seen everything. Personally, I'm a fan of the Northern European stuff at the top of the Richielieu Wing - Vermeer's Lacemaker is here, and it's usually very quiet compared to the Denon Wing.

Also, renovations are STILL going on at the Louvre, so certain galleries are closed on certain days. These are depicted on the website too, along with various other maps. Make sure something you really want to see isn't closed off when you go!

Based on multiple visits to the Louvre, this is exactly how to do it. In particular, doing your homework ahead of time and picking the one or two exhibits you want to see.

I'm also a big fan (or was, anyway) of just getting the museum pass you can buy at any of the publicly-owned museums, you used to be able to skip all the lines and just flash your pass but I haven't been to Paris in probably 8 years and don't know if that's still a thing. The trick was to buy at the Orangerie since that was likely to be the least-crowded of the museums you could buy the pass at so no line to purchase it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thanks, that's all really helpful.

Barcelona is an incredible city, and Sagrada Familia was honestly a moving experience, so we're going to check out a couple of other Gaudi sites today before leaving for San Sebastian. There's a maritime festival in Pasaia that I'm hoping will be worth seeing. Otherwise probably a lot of hiking for the next week, and hopefully saving some money!

I went ahead and made reservations in Paris. I'm excited to see the newer bike infrastructure there, and now I'm also wondering if there are any architecture or history recommendations that people have (outside of the top ten list staples).

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 9, 2024

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I went ahead and made reservations in Paris. I'm excited to see the newer bike infrastructure there, and now I'm also wondering if there are any architecture or history recommendations that people have (outside of the top ten list staples).

Off the top of my head:

• Saint-Chappelle--probably on most top-10 lists but if you're interested in architecture and history it's absolutely do-not-miss.
  • Crypte archéologique de l'Ile de la Cité--Subterranean Roman ruins in the square in front of Notre-Dame. Great models and visual guides to help you visually imagine what you're looking at.
  • The Basilica of Saint-Denis--Considered the first Gothic structure ever built, houses the tombs of French monarchs going back as far as the 8th century. I'm not a monarchist or anything, quite the opposite; it's fascinating to stroll through the aisles and see the sarcophagi of long-dead and -forgotten kings. Major Ozymandias vibes.
  • Musée de Cluny--My favorite museum in Paris. Housed in a medieval manor house that itself was constructed on top of/within the ruins of Paris' Roman-era baths, it's a medieval history museum that also houses some Roman antiquities in excavated parts of the grounds. There's a nice park nearby to grab a lunch and enjoy the people and scenery before or after visiting.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Dammit. The hotel I booked in Sarajevo contacted me, letting me know that the rate on their web site was not correct and that the actual rate was 3x higher. No offer for a discount or anything. Now to look for another one.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

greazeball posted:

Can confirm there is some track work going on at the moment and nobody can order tickets for that route at the moment. A Swedish colleague at work was complaining that she couldn't book it even after calling the Swedish and Danish rail companies. Don't have any solution for you, but it's not just you. Neither company really offered any good advice.

I've been checking this periodically and it doesn't seem like there will be any change to that track being closed, so I reluctantly got a cheap flight instead. Was looking forward to the train and scenery, but on the plus side it means I now just have a travel evening instead of a travel day.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Flyndre posted:

Dammit. The hotel I booked in Sarajevo contacted me, letting me know that the rate on their web site was not correct and that the actual rate was 3x higher. No offer for a discount or anything. Now to look for another one.

Booking.com is basically the only third party site I use for travel and I've always found it easy and trustworthy, if that helps at all.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bollock Monkey posted:

Booking.com is basically the only third party site I use for travel and I've always found it easy and trustworthy, if that helps at all.

I've used them too in the past with no issues, but there's some seriously sketchy stuff going on in their system and I don't trust their response to it one bit: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/oct/23/bookingcom-customers-targeted-by-scam-confirmation-emails

Basically, people are getting emails from booking.com with links to scam bank accounts. The emails contain their booking details and previous correspondence. Booking.com claims it's the hotels that were hacked and their system is totally fine, investigation over.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

greazeball posted:

I've used them too in the past with no issues, but there's some seriously sketchy stuff going on in their system and I don't trust their response to it one bit: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/oct/23/bookingcom-customers-targeted-by-scam-confirmation-emails

Basically, people are getting emails from booking.com with links to scam bank accounts. The emails contain their booking details and previous correspondence. Booking.com claims it's the hotels that were hacked and their system is totally fine, investigation over.

Having worked in the sector I can totally believe that hotels were hacked in bulk. The software vendors they use are unbelievably insecure and never properly configured. Booking.com is annoying for other reasons but I'm inclined to believe them here

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I heard from someone in the field that it might be slightly more complicated.

Apparently, many hotels don't interact with booking.com directly, instead they interact with some business platform that allows them to manage room bookings that come in through booking.com as well as other sources. The theory I heard is that it was accounts on these third party platforms that got hacked.

Anyway, I got one of those phishing links last year. It sent me to a site that looked a lot like booking.com and requested my credit card details. This was before they had any response at all, and it appeared within booking.com's chat-with-hotel system so I didn't have my guard up and almost fell for it.

Booking has actually been taking action on this. The most visible thing is that every communication method with hotels now has a banner saying "be aware of phishing links". Honestly, since this kind of stuff hurts their reputation a lot, I'd expect they're also doing stuff in the background like attempt to block these links, but just like blocking any kind of spam, that's a constant race of trying to stay ahead of the hackers. So stay vigilant when using booking.com (or any other site that allows financial transactions with 3rd parties, tbh).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hostelworld has a pretty similar scam -- confirmation emails that include your booking information and say they require a payment through a sketchy link. I got one of these the other day.

I also get constant "your verification link" emails from Booking, like someone is trying to log in to my account all the time.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
My partner, kid and I are headed to Europe in December. Gonna do Paris, London, Rome, Florence, Milan, Vienna, Paris over the course of four and a half weeks. The last time I was in Europe was over late Dec to the end of January and it was pretty quiet, we didn't pre book anything and just figured out what we wanted to see as we went along, but it was also 2011.

What are the crowds like over winter these days? Kiddo wants to see the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Colosseum and Disneyland, I assume these are all needing to be pre-booked ahead of time?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Booking.com has also been withholding payments to hotels and B&Bs in a number of countries. It’s unclear what the issue is : https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/01/booking-com-hotel-fees-unpaid-millions-technical-issue
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/nov/10/booking-com-travel-website-compensation-hotels-delayed-payments

They’ve historically been a pretty good service but maybe there’s some internal shake-up going on, since all these issues are cropping up at once. I’d exercise caution, at least for a year or so.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 11, 2024

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Ironing out the Stockholm/Copenhagen itinerary, we're still considering which day trip option to go with for each.

Stockholm:
Uppsala
Sigtuna
Drottningholm Palace
Ferry to Vaxholm or Grinda or Sandhamn

It would be nice to see some of the archipelago, so currently leaning towards the ferry. We like nature, so Grinda seems like a solid choice, although I'm not sure how much there is to do there before summer. Maybe it would be possible to go there first, walk around the trails, and if there's still time, walk around Vaxholm on the way back?

Copenhagen:
Kronborg Castle/Maritime Museum
Frederiksborg Castle
Louisiana Museum of Modern Art
Roskilde

Thinking of either combining the two castles, or combining Kronborg & Louisiana for some variety.

What do you guys think?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Definitely put some time aside to wander in Helsingør when you visit Kronborg+The maritime museum.

Louisiana is surprisingly large, plan what exhibits you want to see. The café serves a really good dinner by museum standards on weekdays, so its a good place to visit in the afternoon.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Staying in England next month with a side trip to Paris. Got our stays and everything booked, just need to figure out the travel from London-Paris-London.

Was originally thinking we'd just do the train but maybe I underestimated the cost as it appears flying might be cheaper? Tickets also seem somewhat limited for the train so I'd need to decide quickly perhaps, we're leaving London on June 23rd and returning on the 26th.

Any advice? Is Trainline the best place for train tix? Any reason not to just fly instead?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

dphi posted:

Staying in England next month with a side trip to Paris. Got our stays and everything booked, just need to figure out the travel from London-Paris-London.

Was originally thinking we'd just do the train but maybe I underestimated the cost as it appears flying might be cheaper? Tickets also seem somewhat limited for the train so I'd need to decide quickly perhaps, we're leaving London on June 23rd and returning on the 26th.

Any advice? Is Trainline the best place for train tix? Any reason not to just fly instead?

The train often does usually cost about 1.5x to 2x what the flight does, assuming you're booking both sufficiently far in advance. Do note that for the train you also have to pay to get to the airport (around €15 to Heathrow) and from the Paris airport to the city (also around €12), so the airfare is going to cost €30 more than the price you are seeing, whereas the train ticket is the price since it's in the town center. So really it's probably more like €100pp/one way for the flight, vs probably like €150pp/one way for the train, all costs included, purchased far enough in advance, and with a small carryon bag. If you have to pay for a checked-in bag, then it's going to be like €130pp for the flight vs. €150 for the train.

You also save on time; the train will be 3 or so hours quicker than flying, since you don't have to go wait out to the airport, and you can get to the train station 45 minutes in advance of your departure, rather than 2 hours before like for a flight. So the flight time of 90 minutes is misleading; door to door from your hotel in central London to your hotel in central Paris will be more like ±6 hours by flight vs. ±3 hours by train.

It would have to be a huge price savings to reasonably consider the flight from London and Paris, unless you're going between the two for a connecting flight to somewhere else.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Thanks, that definitely clears things up - will book train tix today.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Booking.com has also been withholding payments to hotels and B&Bs in a number of countries. It’s unclear what the issue is : https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/01/booking-com-hotel-fees-unpaid-millions-technical-issue
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/nov/10/booking-com-travel-website-compensation-hotels-delayed-payments

They’ve historically been a pretty good service but maybe there’s some internal shake-up going on, since all these issues are cropping up at once. I’d exercise caution, at least for a year or so.

IME it has been much easier to get refunds / deal with cancellations / deal with other issues with Booking.com and AirBnB than when I book directly. I used to try to book directly as much as possible, since with airlines that's super super important, but for hotels I've found customer service with AirBnB/booking to be an order of magnitude better. With direct booking - not counting big chains like Hilton or whatever - they're often slow to respond, or they charge you a bank transfer fee to refund your deposit, or god knows what. I've never been scammed that way or anything, but being able to click "cancel and get a refund on the credit card you booked with" is a lot easier.

I've also found that booking.com is usually cheaper than booking directly from the hotel, for whatever reason.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Booking has actually been taking action on this. The most visible thing is that every communication method with hotels now has a banner saying "be aware of phishing links". Honestly, since this kind of stuff hurts their reputation a lot, I'd expect they're also doing stuff in the background like attempt to block these links, but just like blocking any kind of spam, that's a constant race of trying to stay ahead of the hackers. So stay vigilant when using booking.com (or any other site that allows financial transactions with 3rd parties, tbh).

I booked a sailboat for this summer on ClickandBoat - the "AirBnB of boat rentals and charters" - and their system was such a mess. After getting my boat confirmed by the owner, I was unable to pay a deposit online and their credit card system was down for like 3 days (??). Someone called my cell phone and introduced himself and said I should send a direct bank transfer for the €3000 deposit, and then he sent me an email with the IBAN details. I googled the IBAN, looked at ClickandBoat, no results. I directly contacted their customer service email and they did respond that it was the correct IBAN, but Jesus Christ it set off so many alarm bells. Eventually I found the LinkedIn profile of the guy who contacted me - with only his first name - and my receipt did show up the next day, but some real agencies sure are incompetent.

When I paid for a bunch of fancy hotels in Namibia in 2018, I also had to email all of my credit card details, including the CVV and expiration date, in plain text, to several different people for their mom 'n pop lodges (also charging several hundred €€/night). In retrospect I probably should have just called and given my information over the phone, but even that is not exactly good security.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

dphi posted:

For travelling between Paris and London on the train, I'd book direct at eurostar.com rather than via Trainline; if only because, if your plans change on the day or something, booking direct would allow you to change your ticket up to an hour before your train leaves, whereas Trainline will almost certainly apply a 'because we can' charge on top of any difference in the fare.

(It's not absolutely essential, of course, I'd recommend Trainline otherwise.)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah definitely book UK<> Continent Eurostar tickets far in advance if you can. Seat availability is way down because the whole thing is now bottlenecked by passport control at the border :britain:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's often worth to book Standard Premier for much more legroom and a little meal and a drink, it's not that much more expensive.

Also don't get to St Pancras too early because the waiting area is hell.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Leaving Stockholm for Copenhagen and wondering if everyone there also drives Ferraris.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Teslas.

Older Mercedes-Benz and BMWs for those who haven’t gotten around to upgrading

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah definitely book UK<> Continent Eurostar tickets far in advance if you can. Seat availability is way down because the whole thing is now bottlenecked by passport control at the border :britain:

Not to be all 'well actually', but they're definitely back to selling entire trains (so to speak); travelling mid-day in August last year I was expecting the worst, but we were whizzed through the gates and security at both sides. My impression is those scenes of massive queues snaking through the entire station were one of those weird post-Covid hangover things.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

spincube posted:

Not to be all 'well actually', but they're definitely back to selling entire trains (so to speak); travelling mid-day in August last year I was expecting the worst, but we were whizzed through the gates and security at both sides. My impression is those scenes of massive queues snaking through the entire station were one of those weird post-Covid hangover things.

quote:

She said Eurostar had no immediate plans to have its trains call again at Ashford and Ebbsfleet stations in Kent, despite local demands, or at Calais.

Stratford "International" has never even opened as a Eurostar terminal. It's a pity as I wonder how much additional capacity they could enable by having a second UK terminal with a larger customs area. There are loads of destinations on the euro side (hopefully with more to come!) but without new terminals in the UK I don't see how they can service many more of them. Kings Cross Eurostar is already pretty miserable, a much worse experience that flying sadly despite costing more, and with additional terminals people from all over the UK wouldn't have to travel into central London to transfer to the Eurostar.

e: look at the sad photos of what must have been a very expensive international train station here: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/eurostar-reveals-why-trains-arent-returning-to-kent-274180/
Sounds like part of the problem is customs?

quote:

"Reopening the intermediate stations (where demand and yields are much lower) would make things even worse as it would take away from London vital border police resources."
What a disaster.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 15, 2024

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

using stratford for international trains and having eurostar terminate at different locations in the uk would be cool and good, unfortunately it's the uk so this will never happen in our lifetimes

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It can definitely be better but I can't agree that St Pancras is worse than flying. I've used it twice in the last couple of years and would use it more often if not for the price. It sucks that the border and the holding area exists at all but I didn't vote for Brexit and I'm tired of talking about it.

More international service options would be swell but I wouldn't begin to trust even any proposals with these people in charge. White-collar career criminals.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It can definitely be better but I can't agree that St Pancras is worse than flying. I've used it twice in the last couple of years and would use it more often if not for the price. It sucks that the border and the holding area exists at all but I didn't vote for Brexit and I'm tired of talking about it.

More international service options would be swell but I wouldn't begin to trust even any proposals with these people in charge. White-collar career criminals.

Yeah it’s definitely not worse than flying, if you are going from London to Paris or Brussels. London airports are garbage (well, London City is okay but it has like ten flights a day, and it does not fly to Paris or Brussels).

It is just generally that the UK in general sucks and I won’t even take an international flight transferring through London anymore. it is just an awful experience and it would have to save hundreds of euros per ticket to even be worth considering. Transferring in the US can suck but if you have global entry and TSApre it’s fine. For London it is just guaranteed to be bollocks bloody shite, no matter how prepared you are.

I had a friend visit me in the winter up in Brussels, they flew into LHR and Eurostarred into Brussels. It went totally fine and for some reason doing that was way cheaper than flying to Brussels - like a couple hundred euros cheaper each, even after paying for the Eurostar. Also she wanted to take the Chunnel train because it’s a cool novelty, even though you don’t actually appreciate it when you’re in the tunnel.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Saladman posted:

Yeah it’s definitely not worse than flying, if you are going from London to Paris or Brussels. London airports are garbage (well, London City is okay but it has like ten flights a day, and it does not fly to Paris or Brussels).

It is just generally that the UK in general sucks and I won’t even take an international flight transferring through London anymore. it is just an awful experience and it would have to save hundreds of euros per ticket to even be worth considering. Transferring in the US can suck but if you have global entry and TSApre it’s fine. For London it is just guaranteed to be bollocks bloody shite, no matter how prepared you are.

I've had comparatively decent experiences starting and ending at Heathrow (being a Brit probably has an impact too), but I'd never want to transfer through it. It's just too drat big with way too many flights and I imagine it's an extremely unpleasant place to get stuck if something goes wrong. Frankfurt was bad enough because it just goes on forever but I imagine Heathrow is significantly worse.

quote:

I had a friend visit me in the winter up in Brussels, they flew into LHR and Eurostarred into Brussels. It went totally fine and for some reason doing that was way cheaper than flying to Brussels - like a couple hundred euros cheaper each, even after paying for the Eurostar. Also she wanted to take the Chunnel train because it’s a cool novelty, even though you don’t actually appreciate it when you’re in the tunnel.

Glad to hear this went well because it's ideal really (read: should be; it costs me £20-40 to get to London in the first place on top of the Eurostar cost). You do get all those fun facts about the tunnel on the screen at least. :)

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've had comparatively decent experiences starting and ending at Heathrow (being a Brit probably has an impact too), but I'd never want to transfer through it. It's just too drat big with way too many flights and I imagine it's an extremely unpleasant place to get stuck if something goes wrong. Frankfurt was bad enough because it just goes on forever but I imagine Heathrow is significantly worse.

Glad to hear this went well because it's ideal really (read: should be; it costs me £20-40 to get to London in the first place on top of the Eurostar cost). You do get all those fun facts about the tunnel on the screen at least. :)

Yeah flying into Heathrow is OK, it's just transferring that sucks because you have to get your luggage and re-scan it and go through security again. My wife used to live in London like 12 years ago and I flew into Heathrow a bunch, and I flew in last summer for the first time in several years and it was totally fine. It's also possible I am basing my dislike of British airports off of experiences that are more than a decade out of date. I definitely preferred London City though, and flew that route when I could, back before Bern's airport essentially closed in 2018.