Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

:discourse:

The popup midway sold it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

playing through dead money as an energy weapons god is so cathartic after scraping through it at like, level 4 like i did the first time

its kinda crazy that dead money gives you the strongest energy weapon in the entire game, maybe the best weapon in the entire game in terms of ammo use/damage output/durabbility, and then a bunch of other gear that mostly sucks

The BAR's pretty fun when you have a build for it, and you can print out .308. I also liked the Bear Trap Claw for dealing with Ghost People. Everything else is pretty bad though, yeah.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 8, 2024

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Get a patch that enables the BAR to work with Grunt (as god intended) and it’s noticeably better, at least for what you fight in Dead Money.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm not a big fan of the Holorifle, I prefer guns with a high rate of fire.

The Silenced .22 Pistol has been amazing as a backup weapon in my Old World Blues playthrough. I'm getting a critical hit 65% of the time, the hollowpoint rounds obliterate Nightstalkers, and with Trigger Discipline I can hit lobotomites at distances where I'd normally use a sniper rifle. The best part is that each bullet weighs 1/130th of a pound, so I started the DLC carrying 1,000 of them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
After the Microsoft purge yesterday I'm worried for Obsidian.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Please let them reverse uno or some poo poo and have Obsidian take over Bethesda.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I see people keep saying this, but so far as I can tell, the stuff they've been releasing under Microsoft has been selling well compared to their budgets, so it doesn't seem like there is immediate cause for concern. Obviously, Microsoft can still decide to close the studio whenever they want, but that's something that has been true since 2018.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also Obsidian have two pretty big titles there working with Avowed and Outer worlds 2. Not massive games of course but MS has been promoting them quite a bit. It's not out of the question MS doing something stupid, but it would be a pretty odd move.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Microsoft is also rumored to be scrambling to find someone, anyone to make Fallout games ASAP, given that FO5 is probably a decade away. Though with Rope Kid being so frank in public lately abt how burnout is more corrosive than crunch, I don’t see him signing on for another FONV-length runway, which a game landing in time for season 3 of the TV show would probably have to commit to.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
What if they just needed Rope Kid to sing again?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

MariusLecter posted:

What if they just needed Rope Kid to sing again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlNJSsjIyp4

The songs in New Vegas are good but this is the goat.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Arc Hammer posted:

I'd recommend using drugs and alcohol to boost your Charisma

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

No offense to Obsidian but most of the people who made NV what it is are gone from there. If they got Fallout again it'd end up Fallout: Outerworlds.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Janissary Hop posted:

No offense to Obsidian but most of the people who made NV what it is are gone from there. If they got Fallout again it'd end up Fallout: Outerworlds.

And?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Maybe hes hoping not to have the most aggressively 5/10 experience of all time

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Wolfsheim posted:

preorders for the most 5/10 Fallout video game would still sell like hotcakes, as opposed to 0/10, on account of it not existing, since Bethesda hasn't actually produced anything of true value for a while now and people are beginning to notice, which is a simple video games lol from me

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
THE MODDERS AND FANS WILL FIX STARFIELD
um..... lol. haha.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Josh Sawyer is still at Obsidian and Pentiment was great. :colbert:

Also with Outer Worlds I thought part of the problem was that the gameplay was a bit meh and the writing didn't quite go hard enough to make the most of the corporate dystopian setting, and I seriously doubt those would be a problem in a Fallout title.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I’ll take that over Fallout 4 any day of the week. :v:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Outer Worlds's biggest problems felt like a function of the budget: tiny enemy bestiary, not too many zones and quests, limited selection of weapons and armour, skills and stats not terribly well balanced, that kind of thing. It also got too serious at the end. The slideshow kept trying to reassure me everything was fine. Crack a joke drat it!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To be honest I could really go for a smaller scale Fallout game, or at least one with a shorter story. I like big expansive adventures but I've also only "beaten" beaten New Vegas three times and that's because I got so burnt out that I never did a Legion run. There's so much stuff out there and I'm unfortunately a completionist for RPGs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
There is a lot of room in the Fallout setting for side games that explore different genres, it's just a shame that the history of the existing side games is... well, the less said about that (Except for maybe Fallout Shelter), the better.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
now that he's retired, tim cain has a youtube channel now where he does daily little discussion videos. one interesting one he did was about budgets and sales on the games he's worked on and the outer worlds had a bigger budget than line, every single game he's ever worked on in his entire career combined. yet it still felt so totally constrained.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

jpmeyer posted:

now that he's retired, tim cain has a youtube channel now where he does daily little discussion videos. one interesting one he did was about budgets and sales on the games he's worked on and the outer worlds had a bigger budget than line, every single game he's ever worked on in his entire career combined. yet it still felt so totally constrained.

Would I be correct in assuming this is due to the asset debt involved?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

jpmeyer posted:

I'm pretty sure The Outer Worlds did not have a bigger budget than Wildstar and possibly South Park. That said, it's not surprising that an Unreal Engine 4 double-A game would have a higher budget than isometric RPGs produced in the late 90s and early 2000s and Bloodlines, the famously unfinished first-person RPG made in the mid-2000s on Source that had to put some of its writers on voice acting duties for minor roles.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm pretty sure The Outer Worlds did not have a bigger budget than Wildstar and possibly South Park.
He's probably conflating "games I've worked on" with "games I've lead".

2house2fly posted:

Outer Worlds's biggest problems felt like a function of the budget: tiny enemy bestiary, not too many zones and quests, limited selection of weapons and armour, skills and stats not terribly well balanced, that kind of thing. It also got too serious at the end. The slideshow kept trying to reassure me everything was fine. Crack a joke drat it!
The limited selection of weapons (and thus the leveled loot) I could see as a consequence of constrained resources but the choice to have so many perks gained automatically with skill progression was a choice that they made. An interesting one, one that had some merit, but one that I think didn't work out in the end.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

wizard2 posted:

THE MODDERS AND FANS WILL FIX STARFIELD
um..... lol. haha.

I love the conspiracy theory that Bethesda can’t release a Starfield creation kit because it would reveal all the spaceships are just hats on npcs like the fallout 3 subway.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

galagazombie posted:

I love the conspiracy theory that Bethesda can’t release a Starfield creation kit because it would reveal all the spaceships are just hats on npcs like the fallout 3 subway.

Oh god, the enemy vessel came up from underneath us and shot dead my NPC hat ship guy and now I'm stranded here!!!!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

galagazombie posted:

that is conspiracy fact

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

galagazombie posted:

It just hit me that the SFCK isn't out yet, is it. Months late.

lol they really are just going to outright abandon it and Microsoft is going to shutter loving Bethesda, aren't they.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SpaceDrake posted:

It just hit me that the SFCK isn't out yet, is it. Months late.

Think about 2 weeks(?) ago now todd said in an interview it's finished and just in QA at the moment, so if they were gonna just outright cancel it don't think he would've bothered mentioning the QA stuff rather than just giving the normal non-committal "it's being worked on" about it.

Still no idea why it's taken so long.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm pretty sure The Outer Worlds did not have a bigger budget than Wildstar and possibly South Park. That said, it's not surprising that an Unreal Engine 4 double-A game would have a higher budget than isometric RPGs produced in the late 90s and early 2000s and Bloodlines, the famously unfinished first-person RPG made in the mid-2000s on Source that had to put some of its writers on voice acting duties for minor roles.

should've clarified single player games so yeah excluding wildstar

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

galagazombie posted:

I’m getting images of a starfield label,peel away the starfield label and it’s Fallout 4,peel away that and it’s fallout 3 and on and on and on until….

Who’s laughing now?!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

jpmeyer posted:

He has also said The Outer Worlds had a very small budget compared to what a modern Fallout game would have. That still doesn't explain why all the perks are crap, but it at least make the general constrained nature of the game more understandable.

While the game is obviously far from perfect, I had a much better time with TOW when I started treating it as a new RPG from Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky (and a completely new team at Obsidian) rather than New Vegas 2.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

DMorbid posted:

That still doesn't explain why all the perks are crap
That's because all the good perks were put in the skills as automatic "rewards" for reaching certain thresholds.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It turns out you should probably not rush straight to vault 34.

Made it out on literally my last radaway with like 980 rads and around 50 bullets left.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

theshim posted:

Made it out on literally my last radaway with like 980 rads and around 50 bullets left.

The rads I can understand but running out of bullets in Vault 34 seems wild. That place is packed with firearms.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Arc Hammer posted:

The rads I can understand but running out of bullets in Vault 34 seems wild. That place is packed with firearms.
Guns yes, ammo no. (Also I'm doing a Grunt run so I couldn't use any of the 10mm weapons anyway, but that's just by choice.) Almost every ghoul in there drops around 6-12 10mm ammo but the glowing ones especially are really bulky and will definitely eat up way more than that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Huh I didn't realize the 10mm SMG wasn't affected by the Grunt perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

theshim posted:

Completing it in the early game is pretty impressive, what level were you? I've made some characters who go there early for the Riot Shotgun, but I try to be level 8 at minimum for the Super Slam perk.