Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

What else is CDPR working on? I really want a sequel to Cyberpunk. Was that Cyberpunk Online game canceled?

The Cyberpunk GTA Online thing was an update to Cyberpunk itself and has been murdered. From what we know they're working on Witcher 4, Cyberpunk 2 and two unknown projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Be advised: Company of Heroes 3 is having its first free weekend. It launched in a bit of a rough state (I still liked it, and continue to play multiplayer almost daily) but Relic has stuck by it and the game's in a good place these days. I actually beat the Italian campaign recently and had a blast. It's one of those conquer-the-world type of things that doesn't overstay its welcome and has more variety to its mission types than I expected.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I said come in! posted:

What else is CDPR working on? I really want a sequel to Cyberpunk. Was that Cyberpunk Online game canceled?

The online Cyberpunk thing was supposed to just be a mode in patched into Cyberpunk, but that got cancelled at some point.

They're working on The Witcher 4 now, with Cyberpunk 2 after (both being on Unreal 5, apparently. Guess Cyberpunk showed that they stretched making their own engine to it's limits and would rather license something instead). They have another studio making a remake of Witcher 1, too.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The "people will be discovering hidden puzzles for years" bit about Animal Well gives me a little pause, since in practice anything hidden well enough to stump an online community for any length of time will be effectively impossible for someone working on their own to solve. If you aren't part of the reddit/discord group solving things, they end up being less of a puzzle and more of a Konami code, where you just do the arbitrary steps you read online to get some reward.

But probably that stuff is more on the scale of minor easter eggs and the main game works as a solo experience.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Serephina posted:

I thought they where talking about EA games at first on that chart, but apparently not:

So uh, it's a useless loving differential to anyone who's not Valve?

That was introduced when people started releasing "game-like objects" (I think that's what one Valve blog post called them): Just some Unity thing with free assets, made not to be played by anyone. The 'dev' would generate free keys, use those to farm trading cards and sell them on the marketplace, earning 1 cent for each marketplace transaction.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Snake Maze posted:

The "people will be discovering hidden puzzles for years" bit about Animal Well gives me a little pause, since in practice anything hidden well enough to stump an online community for any length of time will be effectively impossible for someone working on their own to solve. If you aren't part of the reddit/discord group solving things, they end up being less of a puzzle and more of a Konami code, where you just do the arbitrary steps you read online to get some reward.

But probably that stuff is more on the scale of minor easter eggs and the main game works as a solo experience.
I figure the dev is sorely underestimating the speed with which poo poo like this gets discovered datamined, tbh. Guess we'll see. Either way I'm picking it up tonight

RIP Hades 2 and V Rising, and my 3/4 done ToTK playthrough, and... :shepface:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

yeah that kind of thing is not a selling point to me. remnant 2 had a class which was more or less impossible to unlock without information gained from datamining, which was confirmed by the devs to be the intended way to find it. so for virtually everyone the way you figure out that content isn’t solving an interesting puzzle with reasonable clues within the game, it’s just looking it up. alt tabbing out of a game to look at a wiki page is not good gameplay or a satisfying puzzle to solve.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Not just Witcher 4, they announced it as a new trilogy, so Witcher 5 and 6 also confirmed. :banjo:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The 7th Guest posted:

oh yea, and Tactical Breach Wizards will have a public demo out for Next Fest next month.

what is going on with this one? they had a demo like 5 years ago

Jack Trades posted:

Also Cryptmaster. A mix between Wizardry and Typing of the Dead.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1885110/Cryptmaster/

this looks kind of sick and theres a demo! gonna try it

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ciaphas posted:

I figure the dev is sorely underestimating the speed with which poo poo like this gets discovered datamined, tbh. Guess we'll see. Either way I'm picking it up tonight

Maybe. The eye glyphs in Noita are still unsolved despite significant efforts to decipher them by the community over four years. The Black Monolith in Fez got solved by datamining but the actual logic behind it still isn't understood as far as I know.

Whatever similar puzzles might exist in Animal Well I'd expect them to also be entirely disconnected from the main progression of the game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Awesome! posted:

what is going on with this one? they had a demo like 5 years ago
Tom's doing closed beta testing on the final game currently. those who got into the beta have the first 3 acts available to them and then after answering a survey get access to the final act. so it's content complete, just doing feedback and revisions. And so the new demo is taking all of that into account.

I'd say it's coming out this year.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Maybe. The eye glyphs in Noita are still unsolved despite significant efforts to decipher them by the community over four years. The Black Monolith in Fez got solved by datamining but the actual logic behind it still isn't understood as far as I know.

Whatever similar puzzles might exist in Animal Well I'd expect them to also be entirely disconnected from the main progression of the game.
tbh I'm getting the feeling the eyes and cauldron are a dev troll :v: but yeah, fair point

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Owl Inspector posted:

yeah that kind of thing is not a selling point to me. remnant 2 had a class which was more or less impossible to unlock without information gained from datamining, which was confirmed by the devs to be the intended way to find it. so for virtually everyone the way you figure out that content isn’t solving an interesting puzzle with reasonable clues within the game, it’s just looking it up. alt tabbing out of a game to look at a wiki page is not good gameplay or a satisfying puzzle to solve.
I am glad to be done with switching out after getting a second monitor. Some games will fight you for minimizing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The 7th Guest posted:

Tom's doing closed beta testing on the final game currently. those who got into the beta have the first 3 acts available to them and then after answering a survey get access to the final act. so it's content complete, just doing feedback and revisions. And so the new demo is taking all of that into account.

I'd say it's coming out this year.

ah cool. glad it is finally getting finished. probably one of the longest tenured games on my wishlist at this point lol

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Mordja posted:

Be advised: Company of Heroes 3 is having its first free weekend. It launched in a bit of a rough state (I still liked it, and continue to play multiplayer almost daily) but Relic has stuck by it and the game's in a good place these days. I actually beat the Italian campaign recently and had a blast. It's one of those conquer-the-world type of things that doesn't overstay its welcome and has more variety to its mission types than I expected.

Single player is fun, but if folks are thinking about buying it for multi-player, it is very similar to COH 1. Like similar enough I wondered why I even paid for it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

humble announced Stray Gods DLC releasing on June 27th

everyone staying out of the way of Erdtree on June 20th, except for #BLUD which hits on the 18th

basically there's two weeks you can release in June where you won't be completely overshadowed. the first week of june (before Next Fest hits and Summer Game Fest starts) and the last week of june (before Dawntrail hits)

there will very likely be several shadowdropped games in Summer Game Fest. nothing on the level of Hi-Fi Rush, more along the lines of Frogun Encore or Demonschool

e: i am gonna play Animal Well but i've got a lot of editing work to do right now so i'm gonna be busy until the weekend at the earliest

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 9, 2024

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

The 7th Guest posted:

humble announced Stray Gods DLC releasing on June 27th

game is 30% off right now as well which is a new low price

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

StrixNebulosa posted:

King Arthur: Legion IX just released!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y4Ny5yUCDw

It is a standalone campaign using the King Arthur: Knight's Tale engine featuring the undead romans in Britain! I really like the Arthur game, so I'm excited for this one -

Can I hear more of your thoughts on the base King Arthur game? It's on sale right now and I've been on a tactical RPG mood lately.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Eason the Fifth posted:

Single player is fun, but if folks are thinking about buying it for multi-player, it is very similar to COH 1. Like similar enough I wondered why I even paid for it.

So the multiplayer is good? The first COH game was probably the best multiplayer RTS game since Starcraft IMO

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Orv posted:

The Cyberpunk GTA Online thing was an update to Cyberpunk itself and has been murdered.

And nothing of value was lost.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Veotax posted:

The online Cyberpunk thing was supposed to just be a mode in patched into Cyberpunk, but that got cancelled at some point.

They're working on The Witcher 4 now, with Cyberpunk 2 after (both being on Unreal 5, apparently. Guess Cyberpunk showed that they stretched making their own engine to it's limits and would rather license something instead). They have another studio making a remake of Witcher 1, too.

TBH I expect that the engine switch is more about the tools than the renderer/physics/etc itself. those are what really determine how productive a game team can be, not how good the PBR system or shadow calculation are.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Away all Goats posted:

So the multiplayer is good? The first COH game was probably the best multiplayer RTS game since Starcraft IMO

Mostly I just do comp-stomps with friends, but yeah, it's enjoyable enough. Just more of the same.

(That said, I'm not a pro player or anything. I remember reading some of the posts in the old COH 1 thread, and the players there were incredibly invested in the early versions of COH 1 where the early-game micro was extremely dynamic and balanced, and I couldn't tell you if COH 3 lives up to that level or not. I'd guess not since the thread died off a while ago.)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

moot the hopple posted:

Can I hear more of your thoughts on the base King Arthur game? It's on sale right now and I've been on a tactical RPG mood lately.

Not OP but loved the game.

You recruit and manage a roster of knights and witches from Arthurian legends, rebuild Camelot as your HQ which allows you to buff some characters, heal them, equip them, etc, and send 4 of them at a time on quests. The 'base building' is light, but has its purpose, and it's cool to do over time. Characters are all attached to a bunch of classes, but while two knights from the same class will have many things in common, they'll have some significant divergences in stats/skills which will make them play a bit differently in combat, so that's cool. Quests themselves are not repeatable, and while you can also train some non-questing knights in Camelot, that means a general cap on xp, which, while generous, means that you'll want to identify your favourite roster of 6-8 knights over time because they're the ones you're going to pimp with xp, skills and items.

The combat is action points based, with movement costing APs too. It isn't terribly complex, but it's engaging enough that I enjoyed the whole campaign and all side missions. There's a pre-combat placement too which plays its part in how you want things to happen. The hits feel crunchy, and it's absolutely glorious to have your Champion in full plate swinging a two handed sword onto a luckless peasant/bandit/whatever. And that's the start. Later in game, skills and magic items become a bit crazy and you can end up with a knight going full invisible leaping ninja, another teleporting behind and one-shotting 3 mobs in a row, and a witch murdering 5 archers with chain lightning. And that was your opening first round. :getin:

It's not the best tactical combat game, the base building is pretty light, but it oozes atmosphere and has a set number of quests, so no grinding random maps here, by the time you're done pimping your A-squad, you're not far from the ending. There's also a post-game grind stuff if you're so inclined, but I reached the end after 67h and I was satisfied and called it a day. As for the DLCs, they are standalone battle-only micro-campaigns so don't bother with them unless you're done with the base game and know that this is what you want.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Really good (I promise, just do more than one or two runs!) 2D orienteering/strand-type game Highland Song just got a major update. New songs, new story and something that'll make navigation easier.
https://twitter.com/inkleStudios/status/1788616162718192091

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I open palmed slammed buy on Slay the Princess because I thought it was the game that kept appearing in the GOTY thread, and it literally just a few minutes ago went on sale, but I forgot to check if it is actually the same game. I’m very silly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aipsh posted:

I open palmed slammed buy on Slay the Princess because I thought it was the game that kept appearing in the GOTY thread, and it literally just a few minutes ago went on sale, but I forgot to check if it is actually the same game. I’m very silly

It is that game.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Aipsh posted:

you made a good purchase

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm having a blast with Animal Well. If you're into sequence-breaking Metroid games this one's for you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Really good (I promise, just do more than one or two runs!) 2D orienteering/strand-type game Highland Song just got a major update. New songs, new story and something that'll make navigation easier.

I’ve been keeping it an eye on this because I really liked the look of it. Maybe it’s time.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

fez_machine posted:

Oh poo poo! I hadn't heard this yet. I have ~40 hours on my original save. Time to start a fresh game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

xpostin:

Age of Wonders 4 is on sale through the Paradox sale

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1669000/Age_of_Wonders_4/

Turn based fantasy 4x? Yes. Also it's an absolutely fantastic build-your-own-fantasy-race sim. The gameplay is a mix of strategic empire building and tactical combat.

The original dev diary does a good job describing the game: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/welcome-to-age-of-wonders-4s-first-dev-diary.1565520/

Or you can influencer, there's a ton of youtube videos on it, and a pretty healthy community posting nerd tier lists and such if that's your thing.

Here watch Steve the Taxman, agent of the Magical IRS tax dragons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCYrrUJsXBk

I should note it leans far more towards wargame than empire builder, with really good tactical combat that's the highlight of the game for me, but on lower difficulty settings it's a chill experience and you can roam the lands with your stack of super powered heroes exploring ruins and covering the map with your armies if you wish.

The world generator is also really cool, you can make anything from an overgrown jungle paradise filled with giant beasts to a desert land of dried oceans to a volcanic demon infested wasteland.

On smaller settings, you can finish a full world in a (long) session or a few evenings, and each time you do, you add whatever leader you finished the map with to your Pantheon, allowing you to encounter that leader in the future as an opponent AI on a map, or a hero unit you can recruit. There's also some light metaprogression elements, as earning post-map XP allows you to unlock new map biomes and types, new culture traits, new starting hero gear, and a variety of cosmetics.

If you're big on single player story/campaign, you won't find as much to like here, though there are story missions played out on semi-random maps, with a throughline from the base game to all the DLC.

If you're unfamiliar with Triumph, the devs behind it, they've had an immaculate record for supporting their games. All of the Age of Wonders series have had years of strong, consistent patch support - responsive to community requests, fixing bugs, and entirely revamping systems where needed.

It's also done so well they've confirmed a second season of DLC.

Check it out if any of that sounds like your jam, it's a great game. We have an active thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030732

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Total War Three Kingdoms is in my opinion the best Total War game with a few features that eke it out over Warhams (diplomacy actually working and mattering, a lot) but it's not easily milkable the way Warhammer is, at least not in the style CA makes DLCs.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The problem is CA's going to spend four years working on Total War: Middle Earth or Battletech or whatever and it's going to come out and get played for like two weeks before people go back to the old game with a million factions and unique units and mechanics added over a bunch of time. TW:Warhammer 1 didn't have those huge expectations to live up to so it didn't matter that it launched with five factions and like ten lords.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Runa posted:

Total War Three Kingdoms is in my opinion the best Total War game with a few features that eke it out over Warhams (diplomacy actually working and mattering, a lot) but it's not easily milkable the way Warhammer is, at least not in the style CA makes DLCs.

It would've been if they took more inspiration from Dynasty Warriors instead.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Randallteal posted:

The problem is CA's going to spend four years working on Total War: Middle Earth or Battletech or whatever and it's going to come out and get played for like two weeks before people go back to the old game with a million factions and unique units and mechanics added over a bunch of time. TW:Warhammer 1 didn't have those huge expectations to live up to so it didn't matter that it launched with five factions and like ten lords.

I don't think it's that bad, but I do agree that CA are going to struggle to make another successful game that looks and feels like 'a TW game'. It can be an RTS, it can have a grand strategy layer, but the time has come to make something we haven't seen before.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Randallteal posted:

Nah, they'll keep announcing new material to keep the whales engaged. Like the uruk-hai leader pack, followed by TW: middle earth two, etc etc. The TW:W clientele are slightly segregated from the other TW game purchasers, I suspect; CA certainly knows how to bilk them relentlessly.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

goferchan posted:

I'm having a blast with Animal Well. If you're into sequence-breaking Metroid games this one's for you.

That's good to hear, it looks cool. The steam reviews are an infinite sea of the same three dunkey jokes with 0.5hrs played so kind of hard to judge from those.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Make Total War: Crusader Kings you cowards

I would also accept Total War: Mount & Blade

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
According to the Streamers Union's deep cover whistleblowers, CA is working on TW:40K and lol if you don't think that'd make $Texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

It would've been if they took more inspiration from Dynasty Warriors instead.

Yeah probably

Still funny that there's no start date set to the actual, honest to goodness Three Kingdoms era with Wei, Wu, and Shu.