Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Should the sentence "He became a true Goon making GBS threads his pants at every opportunity" have a comma after Goon? Or maybe a semicolon? Or just nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

Can anyone recommend me an app/website for finding restaurants?

My family unintentionally only goes to the same half dozen restaurants. I was recommended to try a new place by a friend, only to find that I loved it and it had been 5 mins away from my house for years without me realizing it.

I'm looking for 3 main features:
1. A list of restaurants in an area that new ones get added to automatically.
2. The ability to make notes about what I liked or not
3. The ability to filter/hide ones I didn't like

I initially thought Yelp might fit the bill, but it doesn't do 2/3 and generally seems to be a bloated, sponsor filled mess.
Unfortunately I think the internet has gotten much worse for this kind of thing in the last 10 years. Google Maps is the only thing that seems to work for finding restaurant information nowadays, but the UI is awful for discovering new restaurants and it definitely can't do any of the things you want.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I would put; a semicolon.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Should the sentence "He became a true Goon making GBS threads his pants at every opportunity" have a comma after Goon? Or maybe a semicolon? Or just nothing?

It'd be either a colon or some kind of dash.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
"making GBS threads his pants at every opportunity" isn't really an independent clause so i think you want a colon and not a semicolon

leaving it with nothing implies that the noun is "Goon making GBS threads his pants at every opportunity" rather than "Goon"

e: i think in common grammar you'd usually just see a comma there, the comma splice rule is not observed or noticed among the general population but i don't think it'd technically be right

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 8, 2024

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

YggiDee posted:

we had a thread for stage musicals but was comically low traffic and I can't find it in my bookmarks any more, either. I'd say just make a new one.

Thanks for that. Looks a bit movie-focused given the subforum and OP, which is not ideal, but better than nothing! I'll have a little read.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I think an em dash could also be appropriate for that sentence.

"He became a true Goon— making GBS threads his pants at every opportunity"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Thanks for that. Looks a bit movie-focused given the subforum and OP, which is not ideal, but better than nothing! I'll have a little read.

:agreed:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Flournival Dixon posted:

"making GBS threads his pants at every opportunity" isn't really an independent clause so i think you want a colon and not a semicolon

leaving it with nothing implies that the noun is "Goon making GBS threads his pants at every opportunity" rather than "Goon"

e: i think in common grammar you'd usually just see a comma there, the comma splice rule is not observed or noticed among the general population but i don't think it'd technically be right

It depends on the meaning of the sentence - a comma means that because he was a goon he was making GBS threads himself constantly, a semicolon would imply that because he was making GBS threads himself constantly, he constituted what makes a goon.

The two mean roughly the same, it's just: goon therefore shits vs. shits, therefore goon.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Flournival Dixon posted:

People don't care because punctuation is purely an issue of written stylistic conventions and not "grammar" at all

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Xenoborg posted:

Can anyone recommend me an app/website for finding restaurants?

My family unintentionally only goes to the same half dozen restaurants. I was recommended to try a new place by a friend, only to find that I loved it and it had been 5 mins away from my house for years without me realizing it.

I'm looking for 3 main features:
1. A list of restaurants in an area that new ones get added to automatically.
2. The ability to make notes about what I liked or not
3. The ability to filter/hide ones I didn't like

I initially thought Yelp might fit the bill, but it doesn't do 2/3 and generally seems to be a bloated, sponsor filled mess.

My city has an app that lets you check all of the restaurants near me for health inspection records, which satisfies 1 more fairly than yelp/equivalent would. Which is a little bit silly but it does sometimes tell me that a restaurant is finally open before the various other avenues I have available to me to check. Also lets me know which ones are worth trying and which ones are not without having to suss out intention from a review.

I don't think you'll be able to find one that does all 3, but at the same time I've never bothered to track those sort of things myself. Google maps seems to have the best review search but its only a matter of time before it becomes useless like everything else.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I think on Google maps you can still overlay custom map pins on top of the default map. Your pins can include whatever info you want, have different icons, colours, etc. It's a bit fiddly already and it seems like it's been neglected for a while too so we'll see how long it actually lasts.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

by the traditional rules of grammar, a semicolon would be completely wrong; semicolons are supposed to connect two related, but wholly separate and complete, ideas. a comma would be what you want here.

but also you can do whatever you want who cares

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 8, 2024

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Grammar chat reminded me of something I've been wondering: I recently heard that the French language and its rules are formally set in stone by their government. Are there any other languages in the world like that?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The modern korean writing system (Hangul) was set in place by government fiat as recently as the 20th century. It had existed before (created by a korean king in the 1400s, so yet another government act!) but was a weird niche thing for a long time, as the primary writing system was still Chinese characters / Hanja.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

El Jeffe posted:

Grammar chat reminded me of something I've been wondering: I recently heard that the French language and its rules are formally set in stone by their government. Are there any other languages in the world like that?

Yeah the French also maintain the physical standards defining international units of measure like a kilogram (SI units), which is kinda analogous to a language.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Dutch has an official prescriptive spelling and I think a descriptive official grammar to base what is taught in schools on.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Yeah the French also maintain the physical standards defining international units of measure like a kilogram (SI units), which is kinda analogous to a language.

Not anymore, they're all just tied to universal constants now.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Lawnie posted:

fwiw all of the physical standards are deprecated and are now based on natural constants

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

El Jeffe posted:

Spanish has a network of 'Academies' (like the Academie Française) for all the countries, with Spain itself still having outsized influence, even though there's way more speakers of Latin American Spanish and two or three Latin American countries with larger populations than Spain

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

fwiw all of the physical standards are deprecated and are now based on natural constants

They still have the physical things though. I also seem to remember that they made a few versions of the kilogram, all of which have slightly different weights because making a metal ball with an exact and constant weight is hard.

Anyway, Denmark has an official spelling and comma policy, which public institutions are obligated to follow and everyone is expected to. But we as a nation also enjoy licking their boot.

And Iceland has an agency that's in charge of preventing loanwords by inventing Icelandic alternatives, and they're quite successful at it too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

They still have the physical things though. I also seem to remember that they made a few versions of the kilogram, all of which have slightly different weights because making a metal ball with an exact and constant weight is hard.

IIRC even if you managed to get exactly the same number of atoms of your stable isotope of whatever metal into each sample of the standard kilogram, they'd still "drift" relative to each other over time due to random environmental factors. Spontaneous radioactive decay happens to everything no matter how stable it is, for example. And there's always the minute chance of a cosmic ray interacting with one of the atoms and knocking it around a bit.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Truly a small / stupid question: Besides "Escape (the Pina colada song)" and "Only Human", what are some songs that have twist endings?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Be the change you want to see in the forums!

Start a (stage) musical thread, I'd read it. It's literally my profession.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

regulargonzalez posted:

Truly a small / stupid question: Besides "Escape (the Pina colada song)" and "Only Human", what are some songs that have twist endings?

Kentucky Avenue by Tom Waits

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dokmo posted:

Kentucky Avenue by Tom Waits

Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis, by Tom Waits

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

regulargonzalez posted:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

"it is not meant to be" by tame impala

edit: the lyrics, idk if there's a video

kalel fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 9, 2024

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

hooah posted:

It'd be either a colon or some kind of dash.

Well, a colon would certainly be involved

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

regulargonzalez posted:

Memphis by Johnny Rivers!

e: Maybe Reba's The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia?

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 9, 2024

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Stan by Eminem?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Box of Candy and a Piece of Fruit has a sort of twist ending I think

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I'm the Urban Spaceman by Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band. The penultimate line is literally "here comes the twist".

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Ironhead posted:

Be the change you want to see in the forums!

Start a (stage) musical thread, I'd read it. It's literally my profession.

Ooh nice. Was thinking of a thread for musicals and theatre in general, if I can overcome my social anxiety enough to create one. What subforum would make sense for that though?

No More Drake (as it's currently called) sprang to mind, but doesn't feel quite right, especially if it's for plays as well as musicals. Hobbies, Crafts and Houses (as theatre going is kind of a hobby in my view) sprang to mind, but it's mostly physical hobbies.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You could probably stick it in PYF or Ask/Tell (or CSPAM) as they're just general purpose forums?

Also, podcast guy, I just remembered we have a whole subforum for that stuff, here's a thread

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Ooh nice. Was thinking of a thread for musicals and theatre in general, if I can overcome my social anxiety enough to create one. What subforum would make sense for that though?

No More Drake (as it's currently called) sprang to mind, but doesn't feel quite right, especially if it's for plays as well as musicals. Hobbies, Crafts and Houses (as theatre going is kind of a hobby in my view) sprang to mind, but it's mostly physical hobbies.

I don't see why it shouldn't be in no music discussion

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
A friend who recently moved here was mentioning to me that a lot of the therapists in the area are licensed social workers instead of having psychology degrees, and then I saw a denigrating comment about social workers acting as therapists in Louisiana after they passed a recent law; is social workers acting as therapists a problem? Googling seems to bring me to a lot of garbage that is hard to dig through for what's the truth.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Social workers are going to be acting as de facto therapists to some extent regardless, because the people they work with are typically extremely short on resources and often mentally ill. A social worker can't (or at least, shouldn't be able to) prescribe medications or in general perform medical work, but they can talk to someone and try to help them cope with day-to-day life.

If Louisiana social workers are empowered to write out scripts for psychiatric drugs, or other licensed medical work, then I'd be raising my eyebrows pretty drat hard.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

A friend who recently moved here was mentioning to me that a lot of the therapists in the area are licensed social workers instead of having psychology degrees, and then I saw a denigrating comment about social workers acting as therapists in Louisiana after they passed a recent law; is social workers acting as therapists a problem? Googling seems to bring me to a lot of garbage that is hard to dig through for what's the truth.
I don't know about the details about the types of licenses in Louisana specifically, but I think unless you want to see someone with a PsyD, which you probably don't unless you specifically need that, anyone who's licensed as a therapist is going to have received similar training and it probably doesn't matter that much?

It may depend on the state but my impression is that "social workers acting as therapists" might be misleading because people who have LCSW or similar credentials are specifically trained as therapists.

It looks like in Louisiana the other option for a normal therapist would be an LPC credential which also isn't a "psychology degree" specifically (it requires a masters in counseling).

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Can't speak for Louisiana specifically, but therapist is a pretty broad term that can mean a lot of different things. If you think of therapy as like Dr. Melfi in the Sopranos, that is a person holding a doctorate level degree. But that kind of therapy isn't really accessible to most people, and there aren't exactly a ton of people practicing at that level. In schools and prisons, you'll have people ranging from the completely untrained doing the best they can to master's degreed social workers and counselors. Hospitals will have a mix of associate's degreed therapists (LCDC's) and master's level therapists (LPC's).