Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I had a weirdly positive experience today. I was riding down a local road where the bike lane was obstructed by double parked cars. A commercial vehicle behind me was honking at me - I assumed for ridingin the middle of the road so he couldn't close-pass me - and I was very upset because he could clearly see that the bike lane was obstructed.

But when we got to the crosswalk he'd got my attention and I expected him to be road raging at me. But in fact my rain cape had fallen out of my back basket and he was trying to get my attention so I could retrieve it. I apologized thanked him and pulled onto the sidewalk to walk my bike back and find it.

It got run over several times before I could retrieve it but was in perfectly good condition anyway so I threw it in the wash when I got home and it's fine now. Thanks Good Samaritan! It's a shame so many reckless and self entitled drivers abuse honking and make car horns useless as a way of attracting helpful attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

okay so do we mean road rage or roid rage. they are very different.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

the latter

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm too afraid of getting shot to do this. That's pretty ballsy.

This is when you employ the big step over the invisible object pantomime.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lobster shirt posted:

road rash

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

I had a weirdly positive experience today. I was riding down a local road where the bike lane was obstructed by double parked cars. A commercial vehicle behind me was honking at me - I assumed for ridingin the middle of the road so he couldn't close-pass me - and I was very upset because he could clearly see that the bike lane was obstructed.

But when we got to the crosswalk he'd got my attention and I expected him to be road raging at me. But in fact my rain cape had fallen out of my back basket and he was trying to get my attention so I could retrieve it. I apologized thanked him and pulled onto the sidewalk to walk my bike back and find it.

It got run over several times before I could retrieve it but was in perfectly good condition anyway so I threw it in the wash when I got home and it's fine now. Thanks Good Samaritan! It's a shame so many reckless and self entitled drivers abuse honking and make car horns useless as a way of attracting helpful attention.

Not all heroes wear (out their horns to warn you about your lost) capes.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DoctorWhat posted:

This happened to me but my wallet fell out of my backpack and I had no idea. I flipped off the car honking on me and never got it back lol...

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Was riding down the bike lane on a really nice day and a car pulled out of the parking area across the bike lane right in front of me and me and a pedestrian started yelling at him. He got angry pretty flustered and tried to pull out into the street where the oncoming bus started honking at him. The guy walking by started heckling him about him cutting me off and nearly getting creamed by a bus and driver was FURIOUS.

Another successful bike ride in the city

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

jetz0r posted:

That's your chance to get a free car.

Why would you want a car though?

A minor thing I noticed recently: y'all keep talking about the concept "right of way", but in Denmark, the corresponding concept is "vigepligt" or "obligation to yield". It's a small thing, but it's an interesting difference in mentality between having a right to the road and having to stop for others.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

BonHair posted:

A minor thing I noticed recently: y'all keep talking about the concept "right of way", but in Denmark, the corresponding concept is "vigepligt" or "obligation to yield". It's a small thing, but it's an interesting difference in mentality between having a right to the road and having to stop for others.

glass half empty whatever

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

BonHair posted:

Obligation to yield is also the correct way to state it in Canada. Won't stop a pickup-driving real estate agent from running you down so they can get to the next red light ten seconds faster

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

seats are offgassing flame retardants that cause cancer into the cabin of 99% of cars
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/flame-retardant-chemical-exposure-cars/

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
the new car smell is literally cancer

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Real hurthling! posted:

seats are offgassing flame retardants that cause cancer into the cabin of 99% of cars

Just open the window bing bong

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Microplastics posted:

Just open the window bing bong

the article ends with "for now researchers recommend crackkng the window when getting into the car and washing hands after the trip"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

carcinogenic

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

car-sin-ogenic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Real hurthling! posted:

But where are the deaths?

Flame retardants are mild and endemic. We have to learn to live with them.

We should stop testing.

In fact, cyclists and pedestrians may be at increased risk of spontaneous combustion due to flame retardant debt.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm starting to realize lately how much PTSD I have wrt driving that I've been overlooking. like the other day I was walking my dog down a nice 1.5 lane country road all alone in beautiful weather. I should have been enjoying myself and living in the moment, but I was mistaking every gust of wind or the echo of some distant stream for an oncoming car. the sounds of nature were spiking my adrenaline and making me whip my head back to scan for speeding cars cresting any hills behind me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Some nice schadenfreude from the OSHA thread:

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/7k8zQaY.mp4

gently caress you douchebag motorcycle rider, I hope your bike bursts into flames.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol was at a busy intersection and watched some guy on his phone hold up a whole left turn light cycle loving around on his phone and somehow I guess the other like 6 cars behind him were also either on their phone or too chicken poo poo to honk their horn to get him to get a move on.

a like 30 second light cycle passed with out a single person moving.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I take it you haven't seen Unhinged
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnOGLiDMSwM

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

had an incident free car trip to get my kids from daycare today

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

the incident is that you drove a car :sad:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

lobster shirt posted:

had an incident free car trip to get my kids from daycare today

I would keep wearing your adult underwear just in case

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Good to see that Russel Crowe can still lose weight and get in shape for the camera. Lookin good

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

The Maroon Hawk posted:

the incident is that you drove a car :sad:

id like to have them in a closer daycare that i could walk or bike to but lol at finding an open spot at daycare these days

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

lobster shirt posted:

id like to have them in a closer daycare that i could walk or bike to but lol at finding an open spot at daycare these days

tbat is a personal failing on your part. mayhaps you should move to amsterdam?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Dixon Chisholm posted:

tbat is a personal failing on your part. mayhaps you should move to amsterdam?

hmm good idea

i will say that their day care used to be closer (still had to get there by car because that neighborhood had no sidewalks) but we moved into an area that does have good infrastructure for walking and cycling but unfortunately it is farther away from the daycare. at least the school my son is zoned for is like a ten minute walk. i genuinely think that a round trip there on foot would not take that much more time, if any, compared to driving him there and getting in the stupid dropoff car line.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/grescoe/status/1788196749724573824?t=0qfC3p9Ix-XFfOB284rEBA&s=19

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

they get free money to do something that sucks total rear end less?

too bad the entire rest of society is structured exactly the opposite

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

who could possibly have predicted this

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The cost of owning a car for three months is probably the same as the total cost of an ebike too.
Out here in the suburbs of Copenhagen, the majority of bikes I see are electric, and based on their general riding ability*, they're probably mostly former car commuters.

*Both attention to traffic flow and technique. And tyre pressure, jesus gently caress, pump your tyres!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think really experienced cyclists will understand that the better you are on a bike the slower you're going on a multi-use path.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

silicone thrills posted:

lol was at a busy intersection and watched some guy on his phone hold up a whole left turn light cycle loving around on his phone and somehow I guess the other like 6 cars behind him were also either on their phone or too chicken poo poo to honk their horn to get him to get a move on.

Light cycles pass without anyone moving pretty regularly because another car has driven into the intersection and is blocking the entire street both ways.

The city increased the fine for this from next to nothing to a pittance but the cops straight up said that they won't issue tickets for this because it slows down traffic if they do.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

BUT AT WHAT COST?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hubbert posted:

BUT AT WHAT COST?

True, less cars means more alive humans

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

silicone thrills posted:

If you don't move in the first 10 or so seconds here you'll get the short heads up honk and then if you still don't go it usually turns into a chorus of angry honks, maybe it's a northeast thing but people are not afraid to lay it on if you're dawdling.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
the few times i rented a car in nyc i even got a honk as i was moving my foot from the brake to the gas pedal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Every day I see people driving into the intersection while the light is still red, so if you're waiting to see green you're already too slow.