Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I liked fighting Placidusax (with 4 different characters and builds) but I never liked Midir at all. That fight will never click for me.

Midir ends being a pestilent mist fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

His shin godzilla breath is insanely cool

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
In just under 50 hours, I've finished a handful of questlines, acquired alot of armor that I occasionally change into whenever I'm in the mood for something different, cleared Leyndell and defeated the boss who, after probably at least knowing that I've obtained three Great Runes by the time I got to Leyndell and the fact that I've killed a ton of people to get there in the first place, decided to try put my foolish ambitions to rest. That man is now reduced to being actually better-looking than before but ultimately dying on the floor after I was done with him.

I've also managed to not only complete the Volcano Manor quests but also upgraded the obligatory weapon for a specific boss so I can make the fight go quicker alongside using an item that serves as a comically better version of a Memory of Grace to exit out of the boss arena and get to another area that's definitely important for the future DLC.

So yeah, I think I enjoy Elden Ring.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Guillermus posted:

I liked fighting Placidusax (with 4 different characters and builds) but I never liked Midir at all. That fight will never click for me.

Midir ends being a pestilent mist fodder.

I abhorred Midir as a pyromancer and ended up using the pestilence to finally beat it as well. I've got my most heartbreaking screenshot ever from Souls games at that fight- You Died and Midir's health bar reduced so much it looks empty. Thing must have had single digit hit points and I just couldn't manage to get that last hit in.

I generally don't like dragon fights in any of these games because it's so hard to see what the hell is happening, but that's a complaint for any of the overly large bosses like the Fire Giant etc.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Listerine posted:

I abhorred Midir as a pyromancer and ended up using the pestilence to finally beat it as well. I've got my most heartbreaking screenshot ever from Souls games at that fight- You Died and Midir's health bar reduced so much it looks empty. Thing must have had single digit hit points and I just couldn't manage to get that last hit in.

I generally don't like dragon fights in any of these games because it's so hard to see what the hell is happening, but that's a complaint for any of the overly large bosses like the Fire Giant etc.

Lol just yesterday I took exactly this same screenshot but with Placidusax :v:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Bloody Slash really carrying my Arcane run

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Muscle Tracer posted:

Lol just yesterday I took exactly this same screenshot but with Placidusax :v:

Ohhh yeah, found it. Looks like it was even after I switched to the pestilent mercury strategy.

I kind of want to try DS3 again now that I've beaten Sekiro and Elden Ring- I think the former really got me better at playing From titles- and see if I'd be so bad at Midir or if I'd stomp the fight, but it's so hard to go back to the lowered maneuverability without the jump.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
At the end of NG1 I finally found a comfortable vibe for my INT/FTH build. It took me literally the entire game but I've got everything put together where it feels good. With the Golden Order talisman, having like 30 fth/ 60 int still lets my incantations hit harder than most of my sorceries. My Mind might not be terribly high, but I have flasks, and I have access to basically every castable power in the game with the exception of like. Elden Stars. Which I used 2 larval tears to a) be able to cast, and b) remove my ability to cast it, lol.

I think the biggest hump was Consecrated Snowfields on a first play through. After getting through the climax of Leyndell, to be dropped into another wide open world-zone, that's half fogged over, and realize that like... there's another 10+ hours of blind exploration ahead? I liked in DS2 when you hit Vendrick and you realize it was a shaggy dog adventure and the real endgame kicks off, but the end-game there is like, a handful of fun trips into the past and a few final zones. This is just, hey, here's a whole another Limgrave, have at it! The pacing just tanks at Consecrated Snowfields, and that it introduces like, one new enemy and everything after this are guys you've already seen before makes it kind of a slog.

Haligtree was wonderful though, although a few parts were tedious and the damage scaling got a bit Silly, I think it's one of my favorite zones in the game. Farum Azula was also really good, very Dragon Aerie/Archdragon Peak, classic flavors. I would have loved some enemies I hadn't seen before, though.

Malenia was very exacting and doing her without a spirit ash kind of demanded I enter that sort of speedrunner mindset of zen zero-thought perfect-play and it's harder for me to do that these days but other than her health mandating you really don't gently caress it up I felt she was a lot more fair than I'd been reading about for so long. Godfrey's second phase was very fun but probably the hardest for me to match the intense rhthym of, I'd get that buttjerk down to his literal last few hits and he'd just combo command grabs on me until I hosed up a dodge.

Radagon was a beautiful fight. No complaints, one of my favorites in the game.

Elden Ring was a hilarious loving punchline of after having to fight like 20 tree spirits the final boss was, in fact, also a tree spirit, both figuratively and basically like, in actual function and form a tree spirit just with a different moveset. I can't believe it was a 200 hour buildup to this joke. Hilarious.

I think Mohg was my favorite to fight, though. I really wish there had been more unique bosses. There's like. 8? 9? Bosses that you encounter only once? Everyone else gets re-used at least once. With the game being as long as it is some re-fights are fun, for sure, but like. Really my goodness, less than 10 across 150 hours?

Ultimate thoughts now that I'm done: a lot of my struggling was just not being able to grok that ER demands a genuinely different playstyle and buildstyle from the other Dark Souls. Some of my complaints I think I still maintain: it feels like if you stitch together the actual legacy dungeons the game is the shortest of all of them, and its length and size is artificially expanded with figuratively 500 identical dungeons that all have One Item in them, guarded by a regular enemy with a boss health bar, and on a blind playthrough, you don't know what dungeon has something relevant to you or not, so it... it really drags at times. The lack of enemy variety doesn't help it much either, it's a lot of "local zone's flavor of footsoldier/man-at-arms/knight."

I miss dedicated automatic PvP covenant zones, too. The coliseum combat is honestly some of the tightest in the series so far and the build variety is incredible now that we're out of what seemed to once be moonlight/rivers spamming. Invading only being possible on people with a team, and there not being areas like DS1's forest, DS2's bell towers and rat burrows, DS3's forest and Anor Londo, all makes me a lot less interested in doing it, despite invading being my favorite part of the Darkened Soulses.

Player character, combat, spells, all probably my favorite in the series. World design/dungeons very pretty and stylish but taking the entire map into account probably my least favorite. PvP would have been my favorite had it been catered to at all. Thank you for coming to my Tarnished Talk.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 9, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Listerine posted:

Ohhh yeah, found it. Looks like it was even after I switched to the pestilent mercury strategy.

:smith::hf::(

This was my single-katana attempt, followed by a (finally winning) dual-katana, frostbite-and-blood attempt.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

:smith::hf::(

This was my single-katana attempt, followed by a (finally winning) dual-katana, frostbite-and-blood attempt.

This was my 2nd character (STR/FTH) and I just used DOOT against Placidusax and was super effective. It's hilarious how easy it was compared to my big bonk build (first character):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpE1mpw6hiU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Latest builds: Polearm Holy man, ice / mist man, and most recently a Godrick Axe woman with a stone club for the hard cases

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I've beaten the Fire Giant though he was kinda of a slog due to having alot of health and the fact that Alexander didn't do anything in the beginning of the second phase until I literally went up to him and the Fire Giant hit him (and me) for him to actually go do his job. I could get to Farum Azula now by activating the Forge but I want to check if there's anything interesting with Melina for the upcoming DLC.

I also got to the Consecrated Snowfield. I hate the blizzard part of the first half and I didn't expect the area to suddenly crash twice after that. I've verified my files after that if it's something wrong with them but I'm kinda worried to continue ahead in case for future crashes or worse.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sadly you'll start to notice the decline in the game's quality from then on

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

imho, post-Fire Giant is when it starts to pick back up

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
farum azula is a great location. When I first entered the area, saw a broken city orbiting a huge tornado with dragons flying around it, then heard the zone transition dong "FARUM AZULA" I was pretty impressed.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
FA definitely has some of the best visuals in the game.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Yeah, the snow areas feel rushed and or uninspired, but Farum Azula, Mohg's area, the Haligtree and the endgame boss gauntlet more then make up for it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I didn't feel any area was really lacking.

Where did you go first on your original play through? I went left, down to the beach. I never go where the main quest tells you to go.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Weeping Peninsula, Atlus Plateau, Mt. Gelmir, and especially Mountaintop and Snowfield all feel undercooked.

Nore terrible or anything, but emptier, more repetitive, and less inspired than the earlier locals.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Altus Plateau, really? That's like the one area of the game I would describe as being a good open world area, something I think is bad for the game overall but really comes into its own in that specific region.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Personally I think the only issues are with Gelmir and the snow areas, Caelid is fine minus lacking a legacy dungeon but the main path from Peninsula through to Altus is great. I'd just like to see a souls game where From don't bite off more than they can chew and close out the base game with the weakest content

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Gelmir should have been folded into Mountaintops imo. We’ve got two mountains of fire inhabited by forgotten accursed ancient gods. Pick one, man

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Altus Plateau, really? That's like the one area of the game I would describe as being a good open world area, something I think is bad for the game overall but really comes into its own in that specific region.

The inner wall area around Leyndell is solid, but the outer portion is pretty barren. The whole northern third is like, three windmills and a bunch of grass.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Skippy McPants posted:

The inner wall area around Leyndell is solid, but the outer portion is pretty barren. The whole northern third is like, three windmills and a bunch of grass.

There are like three mini boss fights up there (an Omen in place of a tree spirit, Wormface, and the Godskin guy), an optional encounter with Millicent, another optional encounter with Goldmask and Brother Corhyn, one of those puzzle-based wizard towers, a couple of ruins...

It's also just really evocative and visually striking, nothing in the entire game gave me as much of a "wait what the gently caress? what is wrong with this place?" as encountering wormfaces for the first time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I love the woods in Altus. “Bower of Bounty” is a great name

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I just got to the Putrid Avatar in Caelid on my first INT run and got my rear end handed to me several times. I’m at 30 INT with the meteorite staff using rock sling and it’s not doing enough damage. Am I underleveled or just not a good sorcerer?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Underleveled. But you can chuck fire pots at it to kill it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, are you fighting the one in the west (shortly after entering Caelid) or the east (out in Dragonbarrow). The latter of the two is scaled way, way higher.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
The arbitrary (looking at the world map) difference in level between Caelid and the Dragonbarrow is one of my favorite things in the game due to how opaque it is

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Why do you think they put that barrier up in Selia??

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, are you fighting the one in the west (shortly after entering Caelid) or the east (out in Dragonbarrow). The latter of the two is scaled way, way higher.

Dragonbarrow, so that makes sense. Am I supposed to do Volcano Manner or something before this? I can’t remember. Last boss I killed was Rennala

Dyz posted:

Underleveled. But you can chuck fire pots at it to kill it.

Good call. I’m used to using fire grease but I’m using the morning star right now so it won’t apply

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

a primate posted:

Dragonbarrow, so that makes sense. Am I supposed to do Volcano Manner or something before this? I can’t remember. Last boss I killed was Rennala

Volcano Manner and probably a bit more besides. The recommended level range for Dragonbarrow is like 80-100. Stuff there is scaled something like four times higher than the rest of Caelid.

Edit: for example, the Night's Cavelry in Liurnia give 5,600 runes. The one in Dragonbarrow gives 42k.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

don't worry about it too much. a lot of caelid is an intermediary zone only somewhat higher level than the highest in limgrave/sv, but then you cross a crack in the ground and everything is suddenly giga high level

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

No Dignity posted:

I'd just like to see a souls game where From don't bite off more than they can chew and close out the base game with the weakest content

That Souls game exists, and it is called Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

No Dignity posted:

Personally I think the only issues are with Gelmir and the snow areas, Caelid is fine minus lacking a legacy dungeon but the main path from Peninsula through to Altus is great. I'd just like to see a souls game where From don't bite off more than they can chew and close out the base game with the weakest content
Doesnt DS3 end stronger than it starts? My favorite part of that game is how epic the back half of bosses is.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

That Souls game exists, and it is called Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

That is actually why I specified a Souls-style game lol, because you're right Sekiro didn't have that trouble (and neither did Bloodborne really) just the games where you playing as a rolling knight in plate mail

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

No Dignity posted:

That is actually why I specified a Souls-style game lol, because you're right Sekiro didn't have that trouble (and neither did Bloodborne really) just the games where you playing as a rolling knight in plate mail

Ah gotcha. This is why, in addition to Sekiro II and Bloodborne II, I would love to see them take a crack at Guts Sword: The Game. I think that kind of attention to detail is really only possible in a game with much more locked-in playstyles, and they should just do the dedicated "big two-hander" game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

No Wave posted:

Doesnt DS3 end stronger than it starts? My favorite part of that game is how epic the back half of bosses is.

Profaned Capital and Consumed King's Garden isn't the game sending it's best imo

Grand Archives at least kind of owns in a similar wya to Haligtree, taking old enemies but really pushing the encounter and level design with them to it's limit

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

No Wave posted:

It is this weird switcharoo where the areas at first are striking and visually very unique, but bosses are bit lacking, but then the areas start recycling Ds1 material and intro stuff while the bosses become memorable and even great. Dancer of the Boreal valley happens in a recycled location but you will remember facing it. Same with Aldrich.

edit:Aldrich is the OG Elden Beast. Miyazaki looked at the design and must've said: "It keeps dying too quickly. ...what if it was ...even goo-ier?"

Goatson fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Skippy McPants posted:

Volcano Manner and probably a bit more besides. The recommended level range for Dragonbarrow is like 80-100. Stuff there is scaled something like four times higher than the rest of Caelid.

Edit: for example, the Night's Cavelry in Liurnia give 5,600 runes. The one in Dragonbarrow gives 42k.

Let's not forget killing Caelid's legacy dungeon-less Great Rune Haver and then going to the dungeon in his arena to get kicked in the dick by a copy-pasted boss that gives only 6000 runes less than him