Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mystes posted:

I really don't know why it's somehow considered okay to tell people that they need to get married when they don't want to.
Auntie is clearly miserable in her own shambolic marriage, and is also super-jealous of OP living the life that she wanted to live, so she copes by sniping at OP every chance she gets under the guise of being a Concerned Family Member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't tell people when I have my Summer holiday because if I do, they'll ask me if I'm planning on travelling and I say no, they'll do something real stupid like starting a sentence with "In that case, could you".

People try and get you to do work for them on your vacation!? You need to post one of these stories on r/relationships so we can repost it here and wax on about acid vats.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

mystes posted:

I really don't know why it's somehow considered okay to tell people that they need to get married when they don't want to.

Seeing somebody else ignoring social norms and being happy has to be maddening for the person who followed them and is miserable.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

Another favorite genre, someone who has finally hit their limit when it comes to putting up with crap, and fires back with full receipts.

AITAH for telling my aunt in front of the entire family, that i do not want to get married early and end up with a pathetic life partner like her?

:hellyeah:

I notice the family wasn't telling the aunt to shut up, just the OP.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mystes posted:

My favorite strain of this is people constantly demanding to think about children. My wife and I decided early that we never wanted to have children and that I would get a vasectomy. drat near every our lives outside of our immedate families were aghast by this decision and told us we would regret it etc etc. Many of these people had children and they would frequently complain about their lives.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mystes posted:

Sometimes you really need an alliance or a claim on a specific duchy

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mordiceius posted:

I'm the same. But I'm also a late-diagnosed autistic. :negative:

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

We're in the same club then lmao

Read that as "late-stage autism" and briefly hung my head solemnly.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't tell people when I have my Summer holiday because if I do, they'll ask me if I'm planning on travelling and I say no, they'll do something real stupid like starting a sentence with "In that case, could you".

I have a friend who, without fail, asks me to play Pokémon Go for her. I never do, but she asks every time anyway.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I have a friend who, without fail, asks me to play Pokémon Go for her. I never do, but she asks every time anyway.

Pokemon GO on vacation

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My longtime friend [63M] who is like a father to me asked to see me [30F] naked as his dying wish.

quote:

My friend Charles has long been like a father to me. We worked together at my first job and he helped me get through a really tough couple of years there. I have had a history of abuse from men, especially my own father, and this guy really became a positive male role model in my life. He never had children, and for the last thirteen years has called and thought of me as an adoptive daughter.

Long story short, he has been battling dire illness the last five years. He doesn’t have much time left. In the last three years I haven’t seen him as much because my own husband has been going through cancer and has been in three years of grueling treatment. I went to go visit him a few weeks ago now that my husband is doing a little better and it was a nice visit. A week later he called me and told me that he knew saying this might end our friendship, but that his dying wish was to see what I looked like naked. I was stunned and can’t believe I didn’t just hang up. He started going on about my dreamy skin and it’s color and said something else I didn’t understand when I just said I gotta go and hung up.

A few days later he called and left a voicemail that said it was all just a joke and he thought we would just laugh about it together, he said he was sorry and left a miserable sounding goodbye. I don’t even know what to think. I have a history of creepy men attempting this kind of thing, and am kind of sickened that it happened at my age. I always had an inkling he was somewhat attracted to me but that he would never act or talk about it since he was married and I was in no way interested in someone I looked up to like a father. I would like to write it off as dementia due to his medical problems, but it seemed more manipulative and thought out than that.

I feel sick because his wife is wonderful and takes care of him full time. I had a good relationship with her and she is an awesome person. I don;t think it would be worth telling her at this point since he probably won’t be with us much longer, but gently caress. I don’t really plan on doing anything or speaking to him anymore obviously. I’m frustrated because it is like one more poo poo human in the world who has disappointed me. Intimacy is already hard for me from all the past abuse and I feel like this blow is hitting pretty deep. Just wondering if anyone had thoughts on how to handle this. Thanks for reading.

tl;dr My friend who has been like a father to me asked to see photos of me naked as his dying wish. I feel sick and confused because I’m friends with his wife and have a husband myself.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

That "work" is one of my most fun and obsessive hobbies. I go completely psychotic and overboard about planning a trip, I spend hundreds of hours researching, making multiple itineraries with numerous spreadsheets and word documents, and create custom Google Earth .kml files organized into folders by day so the pins don't get too cluttered. And then during the trip I throw half of it out the window without regret because I know what I've created is actually impossible, but I just find it so much fun. Anything that got missed then gets jotted down in the "for next time" document.

.kml more like .kms if I ever travel with someone that does this

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

wheatpuppy posted:

You can order and eat dessert first. There's no rule that prevents it!

i like to eat it after the entrees but also i like it to come to the table when im like half done with the entrees so i can decide if im gonna be full before desert so i can switch to desert because entrees keep and deserts dont usually.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cythereal posted:

My longtime friend [63M] who is like a father to me asked to see me [30F] naked as his dying wish.
Not going to read that based on the title but :barf:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chewbecca posted:

The catacombs were sold out.

Yeah, because people are dying to get in! :dadjoke:

Anyway, have dumb teenagers being dumb teenagers.

Kid on spectrum gave edible to someone at school (it’s illegal in our state), she passed out at school. Help!

quote:

First of all, I feel for the girl and she is okay now. The parents are furious and I understand.

But I still need help guys!!!

My 16 year old (who's on the spectrum/high functioning) got in major trouble, A couple weeks ago I caught him with vapes and edibles, ugh. So dumb. And he got in TROUBLE with me. Had the whole talk, consequences etc…

But apparently he did it again, on school grounds and a girl asked him for a bite and he gave her a bite.

He didn't know/see it but she passed out afterwards and the school got an ambulance (which he didn't know about until later).. She is okay now thankfully.

She had already smoked pot that day (he didn’t know this) before she took the edible that morning apparently.

He has a 504 plan/ and diagnosed autism 1 but still.

the mom went to school to involve the school/ say my son is involved in this. The daughter warned my son per text of this happening. School has not called me, we love this school. We moved because of this school and made a lot of sacrifices and it has been a fantastic school.)

Today school called me. They have all the group texts where he incriminated himself and tried to get people to cover for him. He is a sophomore. They may also have this on video since the dummies exchanged in the cafeteria.

I had instructed him not to talk unless I’m present. They sent him home. We go in at 9 am tomorrow morning. What should I do?

It’s illegal in our state.

He did not get the edibles from home, we don’t have anything illegal.

Top advice is get a lawyer and follow their instructions.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah, because people are dying to get in! :dadjoke:

Anyway, have dumb teenagers being dumb teenagers.

Kid on spectrum gave edible to someone at school (it’s illegal in our state), she passed out at school. Help!

Top advice is get a lawyer and follow their instructions.
Yeah they should probably do that and not post about it on the internet

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mystes posted:

Not going to read that based on the title but :barf:

He was just kidding. He thought they would laugh about it together, as a joke ha ha

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

by Pragmatica
Its a souvenir request

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How about some more wedding drama -

My [26F] mother-in-law [50sF] threw a tantrum after our wedding ceremony and missed the entire reception. I'm trying really hard to control my rage about it. Should I go no-contact with her?

quote:

Me and my new husband's wedding was this Sunday, and it was absolutely beautiful. We've been together for almost eight years, and I've known his family for that length as well. Everything was perfect except for this one horrible instance with my mother-in-law.

My mother-in-law -- who I'll call Jolene -- has always been a flighty, self-absorbed, irresponsible person. She's the type of person that will be sweet and polite to your face, but she holds a lot of grudges over very small things, and if you ever do something to offend her, she'll never forgive you for it. I'm almost certain that she has some sort of developmental or personality disorder, but I'm not a shrink, so it's just an educated guess. One of the ways her narcissistic tendencies materialize is through Facebook -- she is absolutely obsessed with Facebook. She can't go anywhere or do anything without posting about it. She's had falling outs with people because of their activity on Facebook that she didn't approve of.

So when Jolene showed up at our wedding, she (unbeknownst to me or my groom) already considered my maternal grandmother -- we'll call her Rose -- her ENEMY, because apparently Rose didn't "like" enough of her posts on Facebook. We had the ceremony, the ceremony was gorgeous, and immediately after, it was time for family pictures. When my husband and I were standing up with his parents for pictures, Rose calls out in jest, "Jolene, quit hiding behind [Groom]! You're beautiful!"

I didn't know it then, but it was this comment that set Jolene OFF. I heard her mutter a few incomprehensible things while we stood together, so I knew she wasn't happy about the comment, but I didn't know the full extent. We took a few more pictures with his family and a few with mine, and then the photographer asked the wedding party to go to a different location for more pictures, so we left them.

We finished all the post-ceremony pictures within half an hour and then dinner came. When my husband and I sat down with the rest of our guests for dinner, my grandmother came over to us and asked us where Jolene was, because she saw that her comment had upset her and she wanted to apologize to her for the misunderstanding, and that she was just kidding and didn't mean anything by it. I looked around the room and didn't see Jolene. My husband told her that he wasn't sure where she was, but if they found her, they'd let her know that Rose wanted to speak to her. After Rose left, my husband looked at me and told me that after the pictures at the ceremony, Jolene had thrown a tantrum when we left and was currently sitting in the car waiting for her brother to drive her back to the hotel. She missed the entire reception. We had to cancel the mother-son dance.

I haven't seen or heard directly from Jolene since we took pictures with her at the ceremony, and it's been over four days now. She also hasn't spoken to my husband at all -- not via text or otherwise -- which is certainly unusual, because she normally texts him at least once a day. She posted a few vague, passive-aggressive posts on Facebook the night of the wedding and the day after -- things like "The most important thing is to be kind" and "I'm so thankful that I got to live with the family I was raised in" -- but there's been no acknowledgement that her kid just got married. When I went to tag her in the photos from the wedding a couple of days ago, I found out that she's now blocked me AND my ENTIRE family. She hasn't blocked my husband, however.

I texted my sister-in-law, who's closest to Jolene and still lives with her in their family home, and asked what the hell was up. My sister-in-law told me that Jolene apparently feels bad about missing the wedding, but is taking a "what's done is done" approach to it and is only CONSIDERING apologizing to my husband for missing 75% of his wedding. My sister-in-law hesitantly told me that she was sorry, but that I shouldn't be expecting an apology from Jolene because Jolene has never actually liked me because of "the Starbucks incident" -- which, in its entirety, is that six years ago while we were visiting I told my husband that I was going to grab a coffee from Starbucks and I asked if he wanted anything. I didn't remember my manners, apparently, to ask Jolene if she ALSO wanted anything from Starbucks, and she's held a grudge about it all this time, thinking that I'm a bad person and "wasn't raised right".

I brought this to my husband, and he says that he loves his mother, but if that she doesn't apologize to BOTH of us, he's uninterested in hearing anything she has to say and he's unwilling to speak with her for the foreseeable future. I think he plans on trying to slowly restore the relationship if she DOES end up apologizing to both of us, but frankly, I'm so furious that she took her second son's ONLY wedding and made it all about her and didn't even consider his feelings or how much it might hurt him. She missed a once-in-a-lifetime milestone for him, all because of her vapid, conceited social media presence.

Because of this, I'm just considering going no-contact with her myself, even if my husband does still want a relationship with her. Right now, I'm planning on doing only the bare minimum with her if he ends up wanting it -- going to Christmas, being civil, but not engaging in any conversation or texting her outside of visits or anything like that. I'm comforted by the fact that this is only even remotely a possibility if she DOES end up apologizing to both of us, and my sister-in-law doesn't even think that Jolene will apologize to my husband, much less me. How the hell am I supposed to handle this?

TL;DR - My mother-in-law left our wedding after the ceremony and before the reception because of a playful comment my grandmother made to her during pictures. She missed the majority of her son's wedding and I'm thinking about going no-contact with her over it, even if my husband ends up wanting to preserve the relationship.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

quote:

six years ago while we were visiting I told my husband that I was going to grab a coffee from Starbucks and I asked if he wanted anything. I didn't remember my manners, apparently, to ask Jolene if she ALSO wanted anything from Starbucks, and she's held a grudge about it all this time, thinking that I'm a bad person and "wasn't raised right".

:stare: How does a person operate like this?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It sounds like your MIL is already no-contact with you so just sit back and enjoy life

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

wheatpuppy posted:

You can order and eat dessert first. There's no rule that prevents it!

In Italy there likely is a rule.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

How about some more wedding drama -

My [26F] mother-in-law [50sF] threw a tantrum after our wedding ceremony and missed the entire reception. I'm trying really hard to control my rage about it. Should I go no-contact with her?

as I southerner I can say with 100% certainty that these people are southern

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ominous Jazz posted:

what sort of stuff do you do on your holiday

Whatever I want, as opposed to whatever someone else wants.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Nerdlord Actual posted:

Mental illness.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Nerdlord Actual posted:

You can ask my mother.

I won't do it because I was well over this poo poo years ago and am currently no-contact.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

hawowanlawow posted:

as I southerner I can say with 100% certainty that these people are southern

Nobody can hold a grudge that the person it's held against doesn't even know about as long as a passive-aggressive Southerner.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I've known a couple of people like that in my life, they will take the most minor of conflicts or slights and just will never ever forget them to the point of still bringing them up years later.

I've no idea if it's related to some kind of mental health thing or what it's called, but it must be the most exhausting poo poo ever for them and everyone they interact with.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

AITA for using my daughter’s debit card to get a money gram order?

quote:

I, 54F have worked my entire life, but for the past several months I’ve fallen hard financially and have lost my job, so I am only receiving unemployement, and believe me, it is not enough. At all. I am behind on rent, but faithfully I have a really good landlord who is very good to work with, but I am now behind 2 months on payments and although I’ve paid half of it on my own, I’ve still owed the remaining balance, which is 2237$.

My daughter, 21F lives at home with me and works full time, she has saved lots of money because not once have I ever charged her rent or asked her to do any payment other than electric bill, which she is always complaining about being high. She says that she is pregnant with her first child and wants to spoil her. I understand this, but she is doing so under my roof, therefore she should be contributing. Not only this right here, but she has been blowing money (3-500$) payments at a time on baby clothes: babies grow quick, so most of the stuff she is buying my grandchild will never be able to wear.

Today, I went into her room and my landlord told me that if I don’t have the payment in by the end of Monday, that she will need to file an eviction notice. Afraid of my and my daughter’s shelter, I went to the post office with her debit card for a money order on rent and her card approved. I was surprised since she lied and told me she had no money and I am hurt she has refused to help out.

My daughter has been asking me about the deducted money and is furious that it has been charged to her debit card. I understand she is angry, but I feel she needs to understand that she is well over 18 and nothing is free. Not even shelter and I was looking out for my grandchild also. AITA?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
was expecting a title bait and switch but welp.

mystes
May 31, 2006

AceClown posted:

I've known a couple of people like that in my life, they will take the most minor of conflicts or slights and just will never ever forget them to the point of still bringing them up years later.

I've no idea if it's related to some kind of mental health thing or what it's called, but it must be the most exhausting poo poo ever for them and everyone they interact with.
I think it's pretty fair to call that a mental health thing at that point (regardless of whether it's something in the DSM or not)

Mordiceius posted:

AITA for using my daughter’s debit card to get a money gram order?
Definitely YTA but... it seems like OP didn't talk to her daughter first but I don't understand why not? Surely if she was like "we're going to get evicted; can you cover the rent this one time?" the daughter would have?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Cythereal posted:

Yeah this one just must makes me sad. The wife is probably going to be confused when this woman (rightfully) cuts contact with the dying man and doesn't know what happened :smith:

mystes posted:

I think it's pretty fair to call that a mental health thing at that point (regardless of whether it's something in the DSM or not)

Definitely YTA but... it seems like OP didn't talk to her daughter first but I don't understand why not? Surely if she was like "we're going to get evicted; can you cover the rent this one time?" the daughter would have?

Yeah I feel there is a lot unsaid here. My guess is daughter had no idea about the imminent eviction and that the op maybe has a tendency to play fast and loose with the truth

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Nerdlord Actual posted:

My mom is exactly like this. I can totally see her walking out of a major important event because she took something the wrong way, and if you don't side with her on it than you're against her. She did it at more minor events growing up and it was always so embarrassing to be dragged out with her because someone made a comment that she took the wrong way, and then she'd just bitch and bitch and bitch about that person the entire way home. Even little-kid me was like, WTF?

One example: I was pregnant with my second kid. She lived two hours away from the hospital I was giving birth in (my in-laws lived 20 minutes away) and refused to stay at my house unless she could bring her horrible, destructive, aggressive, unhouse-trained dogs with her. My in-laws volunteered to stay at my house or theirs and bring my oldest to see me multiple times a day. My mom not only never watched my then-2-year-old, but she showed no interest in him even when we visited (my in-laws were very close to him, babysat for him, and were very involved in his life. My mom didn't know or care a drat thing about him; she never even asked about him or paid attention to him, and for the longest time at holidays she'd give him gifts that'd obviously been picked out for a girl (my brother had 3 girls) that she'd forgotten to give them so just repurposed for my kid. I'm talking, up til he was like 10 and still getting girl toys and girl clothes like black satin pants. Not that I give a poo poo about the whole gender-norms thing, but it was the absolute lack of effort or interest that got to me). My mom is a hoarder and her house was highly unsafe for a toddler. She had her prescription bottles sitting out on the counter with the child-proof lids off so they were easier for her, and refused to put them out of reach when we visited. She also left sharp things like scissors, tacks, needles, screwdrivers, and knives just laying around, and saw no problem with my kid putting filthy stuff in his mouth that he picked up of the floor (I'm talking, like, covered in literal grime, dog spit, and probably roach and rat feces).

So when she asked who'd be watching my oldest when I gave birth to my second, I said my in-laws, thinking not only, Duh, but I figured she'd be thrilled I wasn't going to ask her to do it. She said, "Fine," and hung up on me. Didn't talk to me again until I was heading to the hospital and I called to let her know and she said, "Good for you. Have a nice life." I was in pain, distraught, confused, and totally WTF trying to figure out what I'd done now to piss her off and discovered she'd been stewing about this for weeks, bad-mouthing me to anyone who'd listen. She went on a tirade about how I don't think she's good enough to watch my son and I must prefer my in-laws and I'm stuck up and selfish and a lovely daughter and horrible person . . . . I ended up having a HORRIBLE experience with my C-section and recovery, and even had a hard time bonding with my new little dude for a couple days because I was emotionally and psychologically a loving wreck. My sister finally talked her down, but it was so incredibly lovely and all I can think about when I think of my second kid's birth.

She gets all pissed off about some imagined slight and then will hold a grudge, literally, forever. When my brother was little, like 5 or 6, my dad's sister who lived next door came over and told my mom he'd been digging up her flowerbeds. My mom was FURIOUS that her little angel could be accused of such a thing and didn't talk to my aunt again. She turned my brother against her and tried to get my sister and me mad at her too, but she was my favorite aunt so gently caress that. She was so kind and good to us, despite my mother absolutely hating her. My aunt died about 55 years later and my mom hadn't talked to her in all that time, and still had nothing good to say about her, even though my brother was like, yeah, I was a little poo poo, I probably WAS digging in her flowerbeds.

She would pull this poo poo all the time with us, pitting us kids against each other or against my dad by blowing something completely out of proportion or flat-out reading something wrong and immediately going full-on attack mode. Once my sister and I were talking to her about my sister-in-law and she went and gave my sister-in-law a majorly hosed up version of things we'd said (we hadn't been poo poo talking her at all, just talking about our own experiences with something she was going through and my mom turned it into some kind of competition like we were bragging or poo poo-talking her. SIL got so mad at us she and my brother's entire family ghosted us for about 6 months before we figured out what had happened.). She finally did it one too many times not long after the C-section thing and I told her, literally, to gently caress off. I had two glorious years of no contact with her until my dad died, and then we reconciled. She's never pulled that poo poo with me again, and if she starts up complaining about something someone obviously did to her on purpose I just change the subject. I'm way too old to entertain that bullshit.

THAT SAID ... I don't know why most people who are like this end up that way, but I can kind of see it in my mom's history. She grew up with a physically and emotionally abusive alcoholic father and was very poor. She started kindergarten at 4 when the other kids were 5 or 6 so she was always bullied, not just for being younger and smaller and immature and unprepared, but for her poverty and abusive home life. She got married at like 18 and her husband died of leukemia within a year. She grew up with a lot of hurt and pain and bitterness and trauma and never got therapy, so she turned it into a very self-centered, poor-me, take-everything-personally, attack before you're attacked kind of personality. She never really matured emotionally to the point of not seeing everything from only her own point of view and how it affects her, and she just expects everyone to not like her or be talking about her or trying to hurt her. Now that I get that I can deal with her better (also, she's in her 80s and in a nursing home), but it made the first 40 years or so of my life pretty hellish.

Anyway, sorry for the trauma dump/effort post. That was cathartic.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Troublemaker posted:

NAH

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Like when my boyfriend's mom wrote my mom a letter when I went to their farm for the weekend in 1999, she wrote "we're good people and you don't need to worry, she's safe with us" and my mom interpreted it as "we took your child away because you're dangerous and bad". 25 years later and being told numerous times by numerous people that she interpreted it wrong and she still believes her own side. I tried for YEARS to combine our holiday dinners together as one big family and it was only my mom that prevented it from happening because she still hates my now mother-in-law. She would always lie and say "oh I planned to have dinner with my friend, can't make it". I only found out the actual truth a few years ago. I couldn't believe it. Just another nail in the coffin of our dead relationship.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Some people just exist inside their own victim narrative, and nothing you say or do will convince them otherwise

It's extraordinary really

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Troublemaker posted:

Also NAHH

You mind find the Rejected Parents thread of interest,
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893726

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Thanks peeps :glomp:

SulfurMonoxideCute: That's EXACTLY how my mom is. She would misinterpret everything, I think because she was coming at it from a place of hurt and no self-confidence and just assumed everything was an attack on her. When you're used to being beat up all your life, you're just waiting for the next blow to come, and every movement around you feels like an offense. While I feel for her, it's also SO exhausting when no amount of explanation from any number of people will convince her and you're dealing with the fallout with all the people she's pissed at. Going NC is sometimes the only way to deal with it, for your own mental/physiological health.

So here's a different kind of mom problem:

Clogged toilet destroyed my house. Landlord says I have to pay.

quote:

My mom who is 67, rents at a nice senior community. She is very happy with her agangmenta. But now she might be thrown out. She had old chicken soup that spoiled. So she dumped it in the toilet and flushed it. Then went in a walk in the park. After returning couple hours later, her whole apartment was flooded from the toilet, sink, shower. It turned out she flushed a chicken bone and it got stuck in the main pipe 12 feet from her toilet. She lives on the first floor, 4 floors on top of her. And 8 bathrooms go in her main drain. The waist from the upstairs people flooded my mom's and her neighbors whole apartments.

The land lord said she was at fault. I don't know?? What do you do with a big pan of spoiled soup. Put it in the garage with a gallon of liquid so it leaks every where.

They want her to pay for all repairs, maybe $45,000 and move out. They gave her 30 days notice.

She dose not have that kind of money. Reason she really wants to stay is all her friends are near by and she has rent control for seniors. She pays 47% of the going area rent.

I don't know if this is legal???

But I guess if she can't pay the estimated $45,000, then it maybe legal?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Do not flush things down the toilet that do not normally go down the toilet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Troublemaker posted:

Thanks peeps :glomp:

SulfurMonoxideCute: That's EXACTLY how my mom is. She would misinterpret everything, I think because she was coming at it from a place of hurt and no self-confidence and just assumed everything was an attack on her. When you're used to being beat up all your life, you're just waiting for the next blow to come, and every movement around you feels like an offense. While I feel for her, it's also SO exhausting when no amount of explanation from any number of people will convince her and you're dealing with the fallout with all the people she's pissed at. Going NC is sometimes the only way to deal with it, for your own mental/physiological health.

So here's a different kind of mom problem:

Clogged toilet destroyed my house. Landlord says I have to pay.
This post is likely fake

1) Someone pointed out that the image appears on other websites like https://www.dilagosplumbing.com/plumbing/clogged-toilet

2) The title says "my house" and the body text says that it's OP's mother's apartment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

She absolutely shouldn't have flushed the soup. But she'd have been way better off, once making that stupid choice, shutting up about why it happened. "Bathroom looked fine when I left! No idea what happened!"

How would they know which apartment flushed it?