Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm surprised I haven't seen people complaining about them rereleasing charms from the rift as pay bundles, something they said they weren't going to do. Personally I don't mind because gently caress FOMO, and also last week's charm bundle was like 150 aurics for a set that included brass loving knuckles from some early David King rift. It's too funny to have that on Yun-Jin's belt so I ended up buying it.

The playerbase doesn't seem too concerned about charms in general, from what I've seen. There's a fuckton of them and they hand them out like candy so it's difficult to get upset about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Oh that reminds me, I did something

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://x.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1788574574784749685

RIP Buckle Up/FTP

Yay Bubba buffs!

DS is gonna be changed at every goddam patch now

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

It is absurd that it took this long to kill off FTP/BU. BGP getting a well deserved nerf, finally. Invocation still worthless but at least it's not 2 entire minutes anymore. Leave DS alone, 5 seconds was perfect.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm surprised they're finally doing something about Orange Pallet Hell, that map was horrible to even look at

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Buffing bubba while doing absolutely nothing about how he is still the #1 "I proxy the hook/I facecamp end game" sure is a decision.

OK maybe #2 since the hillbilly buff.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 9, 2024

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I dunno, the Invocation seems pretty good now. In less time it takes to do a gen you can add 70 charges to the whole map that can’t be regressed. Technically you only 50, but the whole 70 can’t be wholly written off as it adds more pressure.

One major issue of the 120 second is that gens will be done before you finish, making it way less useful. Now you can do it and don’t need to tie uo three teammates to do it in a reasonable amount of time.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They just teased Dungeons & Dragons so looks like the Vecna leak is true

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1788600089872589013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Woohoo".

In other news, looks like they're nerfing Chucky to the ground.

E:

Wesker getting nerfed hard.

Pop getting nerfed, Deadlock getting nerfed. Pain res getting nerfed.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 9, 2024

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"Woohoo".

In other news, looks like they're nerfing Chucky to the ground.

E:

Wesker getting nerfed hard.

Pop getting nerfed, Deadlock getting nerfed. Pain res getting nerfed.

Chucky was severly over tuned. His scamper made so so so many pallet guaranteed if the survivor tried to play it at all. His scamper can only be used with his dash now and his power cooldown got reduced by half. Nerfed into the ground? He'll still be S/A tier with these changes. He just cannot get guaranteed hits at pallets anymore if power is up. Arguably he is better now if you are good with his dash attack as he gets it almost twice as often now.

And wesker only got nerfed a tiny bit. Quite frankly I think they need to be doing tweaks like this more often as the nerf predominately makes it harder to tunnel. The rest of his kit is more or less the same. If you were chasing survivors long enough that they got fully infected during the chase you were probably already going to lose the game.

Pants Donkey posted:

I dunno, the Invocation seems pretty good now. In less time it takes to do a gen you can add 70 charges to the whole map that can’t be regressed. Technically you only 50, but the whole 70 can’t be wholly written off as it adds more pressure.

One major issue of the 120 second is that gens will be done before you finish, making it way less useful. Now you can do it and don’t need to tie uo three teammates to do it in a reasonable amount of time.

Its a bit better now for sure but being broken the entire trial is still really rough

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 9, 2024

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah these chucky nerfs are much needed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah honestly that's a huge Buff for Chucky for me. I sucked with scamper -> hit so being able to use Hidey-Ho more often is a huge boost.

Also my highest kill rate by far is with Bubba so daddy lovin them changes XD

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Medullah posted:

DS is gonna be changed at every goddam patch now

DS has to be everything or nothing because as soon as a killer realizes that someone has it they will start slugging people for the timer, if they aren't already doing it. Needless to say that is impossible to cleanly balance.

It's like Nurse, her whole existence is based around being OP and if she isn't then no one would play her because she is such a pain in the rear end.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I know it's unrealistic to expect these dipshits to actually make meaningful and intelligent changes in their game, but jesus I'm tired of "perk popular -> nerf to ground" without understanding why the gently caress they are popular and addressing those root issues.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 9, 2024

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I just wish they would buff lovely perks. Stop nerfing strong ones and just buff the boring ones that could encourage whacky different playstyles.

Also decisive strike is too killer dependent. It should really just be 4-5 seconds and it should disable killer abilities for a second or so. Then its not possible for the nurse or blight to immediately close distance where any other killer would have to play the slow walking catch up game.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I know it's unrealistic to expect these dipshits to actually make meaningful and intelligent changes in their game, but jesus I'm tired of "perk popular -> nerf to ground" without understanding why the gently caress they are popular and addressing those root issues.

Honestly waiting for the WoO nerf, it's the most used survivor perk by a huge margin and all bhvr cares about is usage numbers.

Kwolok posted:

I just wish they would buff lovely perks. Stop nerfing strong ones and just buff the boring ones that could encourage whacky different playstyles.

Also decisive strike is too killer dependent. It should really just be 4-5 seconds and it should disable killer abilities for a second or so. Then its not possible for the nurse or blight to immediately close distance where any other killer would have to play the slow walking catch up game.

Peanits gave a very dismissive "that would be too difficult" response on the forums when asked about DS disabling powers.

Remove Nurse from the game and severely nerf Blight and then balance will be even remotely possible.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
"It would be too difficult to add a second timer to DS that puts your power into the cooldown state present in virtually every power after the stun timer" said in the same breath as the update to add ultra specific conditionals to other killer powers. :haw:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We already have killers who nullify entire perks, not sure why DS has to have the same outcome

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doomykins posted:

"It would be too difficult to add a second timer to DS that puts your power into the cooldown state present in virtually every power after the stun timer" said in the same breath as the update to add ultra specific conditionals to other killer powers. :haw:

At this point I think it's fair to assume a significant portion of BHVR's communication towards us is just outright lies. They've been caught so many times making poo poo up and giving just completely nonsensical answers that anyone with two eyes knows don't make sense that it's kinda hard to give them the benefit of any kind of doubt.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

At this point I think it's fair to assume a significant portion of BHVR's communication towards us is just outright lies. They've been caught so many times making poo poo up and giving just completely nonsensical answers that anyone with two eyes knows don't make sense that it's kinda hard to give them the benefit of any kind of doubt.

Tbf I would lie to this community too, in the same way that I tell my 3 year old that Mr. Bear decided to go for a walk and will probably be back soon.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yup. Lies and gaslighting is the norm at this point. Things aren't bugs, they've always worked like that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

Tbf I would lie to this community too, in the same way that I tell my 3 year old that Mr. Bear decided to go for a walk and will probably be back soon.

Yep this is one of the most negative and toxic fan bases I've ever seen. The amount of complaining is leagues above any other game that I've played. I guarantee the BHVR devs aren't incompetent, aren't evil, but they're constantly blasted on Twitter and Reddit for being as such.

Bottom line is we have no idea what their QA process looks like, what their playtesting looks like, etc etc. It seems on the paper they keep fumbling everything and they aren't listening to player feedback, but we have no idea what they fix and change behind the scenes.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

Yep this is one of the most negative and toxic fan bases I've ever seen. The amount of complaining is leagues above any other game that I've played. I guarantee the BHVR devs aren't incompetent, aren't evil, but they're constantly blasted on Twitter and Reddit for being as such.

Bottom line is we have no idea what their QA process looks like, what their playtesting looks like, etc etc. It seems on the paper they keep fumbling everything and they aren't listening to player feedback, but we have no idea what they fix and change behind the scenes.

There's only so many times I can overlook being told that something has always worked a certain way or that it would be impossible to do something only to go back on that before coming to the conclusion that they are incompetent at best and liars at worst.

It keeps happening. Plague power. The forced look down. The buggiest PTB in recent memory. I refuse to believe that they play their own game when it takes about 5 seconds in a match to notice some of these things. I'd be genuinely surprised if they had any playtesters outside of PTBs whatsoever, and I don't know what their QA team is doing but it certainly isn't finding bugs.

They scrapped their twins rework that allegedly took multiple years to develop after anyone with two brain cells to rub together could tell they were hideously overpowered. BHVR continues to lose credibility and nothing I've seen has shown me otherwise.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

There's only so many times I can overlook being told that something has always worked a certain way or that it would be impossible to do something only to go back on that before coming to the conclusion that they are incompetent at best and liars at worst.

It keeps happening. Plague power. The forced look down. The buggiest PTB in recent memory. I refuse to believe that they play their own game when it takes about 5 seconds in a match to notice some of these things. I'd be genuinely surprised if they had any playtesters outside of PTBs whatsoever, and I don't know what their QA team is doing but it certainly isn't finding bugs.

They scrapped their twins rework that allegedly took multiple years to develop after anyone with two brain cells to rub together could tell they were hideously overpowered. BHVR continues to lose credibility and nothing I've seen has shown me otherwise.

I guess we'll never really know. Like I've said before, I work in software development so I see a lot of ugly poo poo that our customer base never even knows about.

Edit - And constantly have customers telling us the same thing - "DO YOU GUYS EVEN TEST YOUR SOFTWARE????"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Medullah posted:

Yep this is one of the most negative and toxic fan bases I've ever seen.

Absolutely, but I would argue that it's in a significant way BHVR's own doing.

A good community doesn't just happen by accident. It requires active and skilled management, which they have really never shown. They should have been a LOT more active about banning toxic assholes for years now, not to mention cheaters and exploiters. The example I like to bring out is Final Fantasy XIV, which has probably the best community of any game I've ever played. It's one of the few online spaces that queer and trans people say they feel safe in (anecdotally, and in my experience. Not saying this as some kind of universal truth.). That's because Square are ruthless about moderation. You report some rear end in a top hat, and they'll be on ice within minutes. Pretty soon the assholes either learn to stay the gently caress away, or to keep their mouths shut. It's not perfect of course, but it's streets ahead of drat near any other game I've played.

BHVR's kinda crappy game design and lackadaisical updates don't also help. Many aspects of the game are designed so poorly that they'll just continue to make people more and more frustrated, and them slapping on layers upon layers of band-aids that largely just make things clunky without solving the underlying problems allows the frustration to mount. And for years now it's been obvious that they're not even trying to fix these issues, and just keep nerfing the popular things to the ground.

Like, honestly? The game's been kinda miserable to play for a long time now, and it's showing in the community. I also perfectly understand that players are very frustrated with BHVR because it's impossible to avoid the vibe that they're just pumping paid DLC out as the game keeps getting worse. That doesn't excuse the players behaving like howler monkeys, of course. But like ... ban those loving people. Make it clear that acting like feral goblins in the game has real consequences.

E:

and I also don't count people laughing at community managers who double and triple down on obvious lies and bullshit as toxicity. Unless it goes beyond the line, of course.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 9, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

One of the things that most bugs me about this game is that everything is solved by perks. Tunneling? Perks. Camping? Perks. Flashlights? There's a perk. None of the actual issues with the game ever get addressed, they just make a perk to counter them. And then of course they insist that no, OTR/DS are not meant to counter tunneling, UB isn't meant to counter slugging, it's all part of the game.

It's so tiring. It's a shame that every other assym game like this is somehow even worse or already dead.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Relyssa posted:

One of the things that most bugs me about this game is that everything is solved by perks. Tunneling? Perks. Camping? Perks. Flashlights? There's a perk. None of the actual issues with the game ever get addressed, they just make a perk to counter them. And then of course they insist that no, OTR/DS are not meant to counter tunneling, UB isn't meant to counter slugging, it's all part of the game.

It's so tiring. It's a shame that every other assym game like this is somehow even worse or already dead.

Yeah exactly. And then compound that with their "just loving smack whatever is popular into the ground" "balancing" and it's a complete poo poo show. Everyone is running perks X and Y because they're the only way to combat some lovely design that should've been fixed ages ago? Well, now X and Y got nuked, so how about you go gently caress yourself instead and really enjoy that lovely mechanic.

E:

and they've also locked themselves into this cadence where every two months we need to have a new killer and / or a new survivor, each with their own three new perks, while also (as Otz put it) "not being good at designing perks". Which of course means that a lot of the new perks will interact with existing perks in surprising ways, creating completely loving busted rear end combos, which are often not fixed for months.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 9, 2024

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s not incompetence so much as they CANNOT deviate from the release cycle, so fixes are whatever they can push out the door in between making sure the next killer’s rear end cheeks don’t clip too much when using their power.

BHVR still sucks, but it’s really the bigwigs forcing this content death march. The devs if anything should be lauded for keeping it together this long.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I would absolutely and unironically call BHVR incompetent. At least in some aspects, maybe not all. But man this company has such an undeserved level of success, its a real shame no one else has come along and simply done it better

Like look at the latest twins PTB. How could you not call that incompetence?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Relyssa posted:

In your opinion what would be the alternative to this? I agree that some of those mechanics are a pain but fundamentally changing them may actually tank the playerbase.

Imo a lot of this is sunk cost. They should have just never started putting counters to mechanics in the game in the first place. But now that we're this far in it seems like there isn't really a way to fix anything there without a full DBD2 rework.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 9, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

In your opinion what would be the alternative to this? I agree that some of those mechanics are a pain but fundamentally changing them may actually tank the playerbase.

Imo a lot of this is sunk cost. They should have just never started putting counters to mechanics in the game in the first place. But now that we're this far in it seems like there isn't really a way to fix anything there without a full DBD2 rework.

Stop releasing new poo poo and do an operation health type season instead. Fix bugs, address the abhorrent balancing, do something about the mechanics that are outdated and nobody likes. Yes, it'll tank the playerbase but honestly I don't see it lasting forever anyway. If they do nothing it will get worse and worse until the playerbase dries up.

Kwolok posted:

Like look at the latest twins PTB. How could you not call that incompetence?

My point exactly. I can excuse some spaghetti code. I can excuse some bugs. But that PTB was a top to bottom shitshow that a single QA or playtester could see was busted.

There is absolutely no excuse for it.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Relyssa posted:

Peanits gave a very dismissive "that would be too difficult" response on the forums when asked about DS disabling powers.

They had a function last Halloween to disable killer abilities when you go in the Void, Nurse included. Clearly it is doable.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

They had a function last Halloween to disable killer abilities when you go in the Void, Nurse included. Clearly it is doable.

And yet they insist that it would be too much work to do and to stop pestering them for it. Add a lovely animation and bump it to 5 seconds instead. Sorted.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Invented an evil trick. I was on Midwich as Michael, someone kept running to that death corner by the bathroom where there aren't any hooks. So I got a bright idea, broke the bottom most door there. Carried the lucky person upstairs to the second door, let them wriggle out. Annnnd they were stuck between me and the door, whoops :v:

Downed them, then a second person came darting in, presumably having watched the whole thing. They managed the pickup, then the two of them promptly logjammed in that narrowass stairway, whoops. Got both of them down before they could figure it out

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Great minds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCe07vubTYE&t=251s

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

DeathChicken posted:

So I got a bright idea, broke the bottom most door there. Carried the lucky person upstairs to the second door, let them wriggle out. Annnnd they were stuck between me and the door, whoops :v:

I love breaking that bottom door, anyone without Windows will run into it if they notice it's gone and it's a free hit every time. Now that they seemingly adjusted the hook logic on midwich (I had 3 hooks in a single hallway once) you don't even have to worry about having to walk back down the ramp.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Relyssa posted:

My point exactly. I can excuse some spaghetti code. I can excuse some bugs. But that PTB was a top to bottom shitshow that a single QA or playtester could see was busted.

There is absolutely no excuse for it.

I remember fondly how they delayed the PTB for a few days only an hour or two before it was supposed to go live, due to some bug with the Twins. And Reddit's reaction was "this is good, they are finally giving us bug free and finished PTBs". And then...

But yeah you're 100% correct. There's no such thing as bug free software, and it's perfectly normal that some stuff can't be discovered by the dev team's own internal testing and will only be found in large scale dedicated testing, and I guess we could say that a PTB kinda fills the same role here. But a lot of the poo poo they've put out is so obviously broken that it would have been discovered the moment anyone on the dev team fired up the build.

Obviously they are doing internal testing, and it would be insanely stupid to suggest they aren't, but equally obviously there's something seriously wrong with their production pipelines and methods because this poo poo keeps happening. They're putting incredibly broken and non-functional stuff out on the PTB, thus making any findings from the PTB immediately suspect. I definitely know how it do be like that sometimes, because I work for a large international company who has such complicated processes that if my team merges a patch today, it won't be through the pipelines and fully tested and approved for another week. But equally we don't ship that poo poo to the customers two days from now and then in a week go "oh wait, this poo poo is 100% busted, my bad".

It's also pretty obvious that for whatever reason there's some really weird gaps in their internal knowledge. Think back to how many times they've reworked some addons and ended up in a situation where a reworked addon has suddenly duplicated some other addon, except much better or worse. I'm not saying the people making these decisions need to have memorized all addons in the game (although it's not unrealistic), but again something's seriously wrong with their internal methods when nobody catches on to it before it's live on the PTB and Otz is once again face palming live on stream.

Some of this can definitely be explained by their update cadence, but not all of it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

supposedly you have 4 days to cash this one in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I remember fondly how they delayed the PTB for a few days only an hour or two before it was supposed to go live, due to some bug with the Twins. And Reddit's reaction was "this is good, they are finally giving us bug free and finished PTBs". And then...

This is a good post, and to add to it, I think it's important in these times to note a sentiment I've heard from a LOT of QA testers: just because you see a bug does not mean a QA tester didn't see it and flag it. QA testers can and do report bugs that get ignored by the dev team, sometimes even quite literally flagged as non-issues then closed despite repeated bug reports. It frustrates the QA testers just as much or even more than it frustrates the players, especially because they're often the ones who get blamed for it on top of being a field that is already undervalued and underpaid. A bug reported does not automatically mean a bug fixed.

The question is very rarely "Why did no one bug test this?" and more often "Why did the dev team ignore the QA team and/or consider so many of these bugs to be trivial?"... or even "Why did upper management let the PTB go out in this condition knowing how many severe bugs they had left to fix?".