Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One other important detail about Micaiah: she's your only source of knife access for quite some time, so if you really want to second seal someone into a thief, or promote into one of the new classes that use knives early on, they'll have to spend time with Micaiah, even if she's not optimal for that role.

:siren: UPDATE AT BOTTOM OF PREVIOUS PAGE :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Not true, actually! Leif has it at rank 4, Micaiah's is rank 6.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, but IIRC you don't get Leif for a while yet in the story.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Artix posted:

Important notes: As mentioned in the last(?) Somniel update, which emblems we have access to will change throughout the game. For the purposes of class changing, this mostly doesn't matter - Marth provides swords, but so does Sigurd, Roy, Ike, etc. In the case of magic, however, Celica and Micaiah are our only source of Tomes, and Micaiah is (currently) the only one who can give us Staff Proficiency, and we will be losing access to both of them after Chapter 10. If there is anyone in the party that we want to switch to a magic class, we need to give them one of these emblems now so they have time to get those proficiencies before we lose them. A few options:
  • The 6x recruit is the opposite of Clanne, a physical unit with magic growths, although she has enough other problems that we may not want to commit to using her.
  • Jean and Framme would both like tomes to unlock High Priest, although Jean will probably pick up enough strength that he can get away with simply hanging out in Master Monk instead. Jean would also make an excellent Sage if we were so inclined, especially if he keeps cashing in on that 70% magic growth.
  • Chloe and Celine will both get staves upon promotion, but Chloe certainly has enough magic that she would do well as a caster. We also have the option of going into something like Royal Knight (Phys Weapon/Staves), although that's functionally worse Griffon Knight.

Pick your poison below, who are giving Celica and Micaiah to?

keep Micaiah on Yunaka imo; indifferent as to who gets Celica.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
There's one other thing that makes Micaiah stealth-even-more-broken: When you overlap with the augmented staff AOE for a heal staff, you can heal yourself, too. Unlike normal healing, or even Great Sacrifice, this experience never falls off. You can routinely get ~30 XP per heal with this, even on a unit like Vander, and this is the way to make him useful long term.

The Great Sacrifice Armor bonus seems useless, but it does mean that everyone on the map will get targeted, even if they don't need a heal. You can't spam this, though, since it won't apply to anyone who hasn't chewed through their +1 Def.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Celica on Louis because TELEPORTING ARMOUR KNIGHTS.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
If you want to run the 6x recruit, I vote they get Micaiah. On Hard they shouldn't be hard to get where they need to be to go Warrior then swap sideways to Mage Knight where they will shine, it's just a matter of if the thread wants to invest, because there's other characters who might use those seals better. Also I like giving Micaiah to someone who doesn't already use staves to maximize stave users.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 10, 2024

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The decision on whether to invest the required amount into Jean or the 6x recruit for them to be worthwhile later on is honestly the point that everything else is gonna hinge on. If you decide to use one of them, they should get Micaiah at least until you can promote them. Otherwise, probably swap her around as needed to keep characters caught up if they start falling behind in levels.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Given the framing of the voting, is this run not going to use the bond arena to raise bond levels?

The difference between the 6x and Clanne is that the growths are simply just better? 50 Mag/Dex/Spd, vs 35 Str/40 Dex/50 Spd. Plus the 6x recruit actually has less durability problems due to more HP growth (in Maddening this translates to getting one-shot by fewer enemies). 6x also comes in when you have Micaiah, so it's dead simple to get her to level 10 for her promotion when Master Seals/Second Seals become available. And they're likely to be higher level than Clanne is by this point.

Jean actually already starts with Tomes, apparently his default promotion is High Priest.

If either of the project characters get voted in, Micaiah should generally go to the lowest level people by default due to the exp.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Do whatever is necessary to keep Yunaka viable.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Shei-kun posted:

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Shei-kun posted:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Yunaka is a moral imperative.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Hope you were planning on using Yunaka because the decision is rapidly leaving your hands.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

FoolyCharged posted:

You are forgetting the most important optimizations. If you bench her for the other thief or the third knife wielder you leave your team desperately short on "Zappy" energy and find yourself without a "Hiya, papaya" in sight. This leaves your team under performing to a depressing degree.

I mean, with hard-hitting analysis like this, I can't say I'm in much of a position to argue. The numbers check out!

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
For what it’s worth, just because other knife users exist, it doesn’t really mean Yunaka is in competition with them. If something is good, you can’t really go wrong with having more of it on your team. This game is pretty generous with the deployment slots on most maps so you likely will have multiples of the same type of unit regardless.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

As an extra bonus, even once Yunaka eventually leaves Thief behind (if you want to keep her viable for the game's duration, it's inevitable), her personal skill will never stop being relevant. +15 Crit just for playing smart is something a lot of units in this game would kill for.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Materant posted:

As an extra bonus, even once Yunaka eventually leaves Thief behind (if you want to keep her viable for the game's duration, it's inevitable), her personal skill will never stop being relevant. +15 Crit just for playing smart is something a lot of units in this game would kill for.

It is? She worked just fine in thief for me on maddening. But yes, her personal works very well with the rest of her kit.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Thief denying you promotion bonuses is a big problem and it doesn't really offer much of value to compensate for it.

You can still make it work with effort but you really don't want to stick with it. It's useful early on when forged knives are nuts and Yunaka can still get a niche killing magic users later on, but there's no real point to keep her in thief unless you like Thief.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Thief Yunaka really easily overcomes this and is a viable to good enemy phaser on Maddening.

My case for this is where I did this with her twice on Maddening where with the right engrave, most enemies will sit at around 5-10% hit chance on a Yunaka Crit chance of 50%+.

Given this is hard, which makes terrain even better she shouldn't need to switch.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Yeah, the extra avoid from being covert is easily worth a handful of stat points. Every knife using class has a solid niche that is incredibly powerful due to the strength of forged knives

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

In hard mode there will always be some enemies Yunaka can kill in one round even without a crit, as long as you keep up with forged knives and she doesn't get utterly atrocious luck. And then she'll be critting a whole bunch on top of that.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly, Thief's bases are high enough that they occupy a middle ground between an unpromoted and a promoted class. Yunaka does suffer a bit that her bases account for being paired with Thief bases, which means she does lose stats relative to that. However, the stats you lose kind of get compensated for the sheer amount of extra avoid you get from the doubling effect.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I think the 6x recruit should get access to Celica or Micaiah to get tome access.

She reaaaally wants to be a mage, and is in fact a fairly potent magical nuke iirc.

Maybe Micaiah for the safer staff-bot leveling early on.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We can, realistically, probably only salvage two of our current project units. Both Jean and the 6x recruit will functionally replace Celine if we stick with them long enough to do some class changes, or we can promote Celine and let the others get washed out by the upcoming mages. I'm going to record 7 shortly, but my current thoughts are that we drop Alfred and Celine, Framme stays until we get one of our mages promoted, and we see if we can get either Jean or 6x up to speed before we lose Micaiah. Both should get tomes and staves in the process, so the class change shouldn't be an issue. Bouch is also pretty borderline, but he's level 7 which is just close enough that we could drag him to 10 with a bow emblem if we absolutely had to, and promotion gains should get him back on track.

E: 6x and Jean are both looking good after Chapter 7, so F's in the thread for Celine.

Artix fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 12, 2024

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
6x can be fed some Mercurius kills pretty easily if you're willing to set them up.

CygnusX1018
Feb 9, 2024
Is this going to incorporate any of the DLC Emblems and/or Xenologues?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Artix posted:

We can, realistically, probably only salvage two of our current project units. Both Jean and the 6x recruit will functionally replace Celine if we stick with them long enough to do some class changes, or we can promote Celine and let the others get washed out by the upcoming mages. I'm going to record 7 shortly, but my current thoughts are that we drop Alfred and Celine, Framme stays until we get one of our mages promoted, and we see if we can get either Jean or 6x up to speed before we lose Micaiah. Both should get tomes and staves in the process, so the class change shouldn't be an issue. Bouch is also pretty borderline, but he's level 7 which is just close enough that we could drag him to 10 with a bow emblem if we absolutely had to, and promotion gains should get him back on track.

E: 6x and Jean are both looking good after Chapter 7, so F's in the thread for Celine.

Chapter 7 was also where I dropped 6x because Chapter 7's mage recruit... well, let's just say she hit that poo poo speed growth of hers much more than she had any right to, so there was not much point in putting up with 6x.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I swear, it's like some people pick their units based off of stats instead of just arbitrarily grabbing people based off of feels and dragging them to endgame come hell or high water

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

FoolyCharged posted:

I swear, it's like some people pick their units based off of stats instead of just arbitrarily grabbing people based off of feels and dragging them to endgame come hell or high water

There's no need to come for my husband Wallace like that. He'd fight you if he had more than 14 strength

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Artix posted:

Tbh if you put Celine in Griffin Knight she will stay useful through the whole game on Hard. I'm sure that's more a function of Griffin Knight being a great class, though.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 13, 2024

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

CygnusX1018 posted:

Is this going to incorporate any of the DLC Emblems and/or Xenologues?

Artix has mentioned in the OP that he hasn't bought the DLC and doesn't plan to for this LP. Of course, all plans are subject to change at the planner's whim, but probably ask again in a couple months instead of fresh off chapter 6.

CygnusX1018
Feb 9, 2024

Materant posted:

Artix has mentioned in the OP that he hasn't bought the DLC and doesn't plan to for this LP. Of course, all plans are subject to change at the planner's whim, but probably ask again in a couple months instead of fresh off chapter 6.

Ah gotcha missed that somehow lol

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

There's no need to come for my husband Wallace like that. He'd fight you if he had more than 14 strength

Like 14 strength would stop Wallace.

Although he'd totally get lost along the way and instead wind up single handedly exterminating the local bandit squad down to their last man.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Celine sticks around by virtue of early game combat. Nothing in the early game will one round her and she has tomes, which is more than what 80% of the others have. It's honestly a bit early to bench her entirely out of the team, since honestly you have more deployment slots than necessary at this point anyways. But yeah, don't give her kills if you can help it, for sure.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
i am straight up agog at the idea of ever benching or reclassing Céline

sure, other characters and classes have things like "viability" or "stats" or whatever, but no one and nothing can bring to the table what Céline and her base class does, wading into battle in a giant poofy impractical dress

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Chapter 6x: Mysterious Merchant :siren:

One more distraction before we move on with the plot. A little thief, you say?

Sorry, boss! The thief was too quick for us. We lost track of where she went!

We're supposed to be the thieves, you bums! We steal ─ we don't get stolen from!

*sigh* Well, she can't have left this fortress yet. Go catch her! No excuses!

Yes, boss!

Am I about to hear an excuse?!

There's a tough-looking bunch headed right for us. They're armed too!

Typical. How much worse can today get? Whatever, this won't stop us either. Battle squads, in position and ready to move! I want our thieves in the treasury now. Once the treasure is secure, get to a safe place.

Got it, boss!

Having one of those days, huh, Mitan? God, I feel you. It's a shame we have to kill you.

Hey, is someone talking? Sounds panicked, whoever they are.

Move your butts and get in position!

Is there about to be a fight? I'd better find someplace to hide!

I guess this is my best option...

*she hides inside the chest*

Can you believe the luck we're having today?

Less talking, more stalking. Make sure your gear is ready before things kick off!

Uh-oh. This is way too many bandits to make a clean getaway.

So, dumb story time. As you may or may not know, I'm one of a few folks working on an FE romhack called Awful Emblem, and we had this exact joke on a very, very early version of one of our Act 1 maps. Admittedly, ours was a surprise instead of calling out that there was a unit inside the chest, but still, it was more than a little funny to see an actual FE game use the idea.

I feel sorry for all those poor villagers who had their valuables stolen. Precious keepsakes, family heirlooms... Let's see if we can put them back in the right hands. Though it looks like we're in for a fight before that can happen.

Just 8 units today. The last spot was between Bouch and Alfred, and Alfred is currently rocking something stupid like +2 Str/Dex/Speed/Def thanks to meals and other bonuses.

This is a very symmetrical map, with our starting points in the southwest and northeast corners. Lots of axes all around, but broadly speaking, we want to send swords on the left side, and lances on the right.

The two thieves will be heading directly for the treasure room, so they can be safely ignored - both in the sense that we can just kill them afterwards if we need to, but more importantly, they won't be picking a fight with us. Still, we definitely don't want Anna to be turned loose with armors on all sides of the treasure room, so we'll do our best to beat them there.

Mitan is no joke, either. She's going to be taking almost every hit on the chin, but 26 Atk means she's dishing them out as well. 11 speed is surprisingly fast for what she does, too.

We start the assualt as we often do, by crashing Louis into the nearest guy as hard as possible. With Sigurd's boosts, he can easily outrun the thief on the right side, but the one on the left will be a little trickier.

With three fighters in our immediate vicinity on the left, we'll take a more defensive approach. This effectively cedes the treasures to the thief, but with any luck, Louis will be there waiting for him anyway.

The mage to the far south has a thunder tome. This doesn't make him dangerous, but it is annoying to position when you have to account for the mage equivalent of That Longbow rear end in a top hat™ all the time.

Sup, bro?

Even Framme gets in on the action. She even gets the kill, thanks to a well-timed roundhouse kick. Those Lythos meal bonuses are doing a lot of work here, but you can see the theory on how Framme could work for us, if we really wanted to put the time and effort in.

...And we will definitely have to put the work in. :v:

Louis comes up a couple points shy of finishing the other thief, but thanks to Canter, we can park him directly in front of the door. His options are now to double back toward Alear's group, or stand there and die. Mission accomplished either way.

Alear, buddy, we gotta do better than this. I guess if you're only going to get one stat, it might as well be speed.

Jean, I know you're training to be a doctor, but I don't think this is what they mean when they say "kill them with kindness."

With the thief forced to take the long way around, he's easily intercepted by Alear and now the chapter is functionally over. We have a couple guys to clean up in the middle, but we can tackle both them and the boss at our leisure.

Chloe tries on the blonde look today, although I don't think those double scarves are doing much for her. Was Celica's outfit better? Hard to say.

Not you too, Louis! Is nothing sacred this chapter?

Louis absolutely could have dealt with this guy on his own, but we already know that Louis can handle himself. This could be the last hurrah for Celine, so I'm hoping to see her get at least one more level this chapter to see if she's got anything left in the tank.

The monk only has 1 HP, so she'll flee rather than fight. Let's go ahead and pop our little thief out.

Only one thing to do now if I wanna get out of this. Time to show my skills!

There was a child in there?! We have to hurry and rescue her from these bandits!

She spawns as an NPC, and she is absolutely going to try and book it, but Alear is right next to her so she won't get far.

Thank god someone still knows what a good level looks like. Was beginning to lose faith on this entire chapter.

And the game didn't immediately take it away from me? I'm shocked, honestly. Steel weapons are dangerous at this point in the game!

Alright. Come here, you.

But you're not a bandit, right? So why don't you keep me safe?

Well... I mean, I could, but─

It's a deal! Thanks a million. You might not think so, but I'm pretty handy in a fight. Let me help you help me!

Thanks...?

Base Class: Fighter
Class Type: Backup
Personal Skill: Make a Killing - [Luck]% chance of getting 500G when this unit kills an enemy
Base Stats:
HP: 29 (55% + 25%)
Str: 10 (15% + 20%)
Mag: 2 (50% + 0%)
Dex: 9 (50% + 5%)
Spd: 7 (50% + 10%)
Def: 4 (20% + 5%)
Res: 5 (35% + 0%)
Luck: 3 (45% + 0%)
Build: 7 (5% + 5%)

Clanne, meet Anna. Anna, meet Clanne. Like her long-lost brother, Anna desperately wants to get out of her current class into something more fitting, and she's drat good at it if you're willing to put in the work to get her there. Really, her problem is getting started at all - her 7 build means that she takes a minimum 3 speed penalty from any axes, and she's not any stronger than Bouch. Micaiah will do a lot of good work here, especially since she'll want at least one of tomes or staves regardless, and she can do it without having to actually get into fights. Is that worth it over getting Jean rolling? Or Framme? Remains to be seen, I suppose.

It's a little silly to have Framme and Jean be doing this much direct combat, but it'd be a shame to waste the huge food bonuses that they have right now. Besides, then they have an excuse to heal each other for even more exp! :pseudo:

Now this is something special. We're gonna hold onto this for probably...two more chapters? No one is actually capable of promoting yet anyway.

Not an incredible level by Jean standards, but it does have everything we care about, so we'll take it. The defense and res he's been getting is nice but I would really like to see him get some HP...

While this isn't completely foolproof, the game will generally tell you if a boss will move. This can and frequently does change after you begin combat with them or break a health bar, but for now, we can safely swat her friends before turning our attention to Mitan.

You know what? Go for it, kid.

As we get our chip shots in on the boss, a couple levels for the road.

I guess...today could get worse after all...

And then Chloe went and hosed it all up so Alfred couldn't get his. Ah well, we'll just have to send him to the arena instead.

:siren: End of Chapter :siren:

You guys are really strong, huh? Do you have room on your team for me?

You want to join us? I should warn you, our battles will be much more grueling than that. You'd be placing yourself in danger.

I know I'm small, but I pack a punch! I can take care of myself, guaranteed. Besides, I've got nothing better to do. Not until I figure out where my family went.

You lost your family...

It gets lonely on the road. Maybe if I travel with you folks, our paths will cross someday.

Well, if that's what you want, I have no objections. I'm Alear, the Divine Dragon. Looking forward to working with you.

Oh, and the name's Anna. But you can call me Lady Anna. Pleasure to be in business with you!

Anna's chapter is real thin even by Engage's plot standards, so let's clean up in the Somniel.

We got pretty lucky with the well this time. Books give SP, and we'll want as many of them as we can get our hands on. A free Obstruct staff is nothing to sneeze at either!

That, uh...wasn't it, Alfred. If your fate wasn't sealed before, it almost certainly is now.

The less said about Framme the better, but Yunaka's supports are genuinely quite interesting. She clearly has some kind of assassin background, but is broadly happy letting you believe whatever you want about her, as long as you don't know she kills people.

The rest of our goobers are less interesting, unless you consider mistaking an eel food stand for a snake one interesting. Easy mistake to make, honestly. Go get your own food, Chloe.

Next time: Onward to Brodia!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm filing a lawsuit against IntSys for Awful intellectual property theft :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The levels this time were, uh, levels to be sure