Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

Well, not to snivel in the work thread, but it kinda/sorta seems like my IT career is at an end. I simply can not find a loving job. I have applied for hundreds, interviewed for dozens, and I simply cannot get an offer. I genuinely don't know what I'm going to do.

It's not just you. I have very bright friends who have been in the industry for 20+ years who have been without a job for over a year. It seems like, maybe just maybe, things are starting to improve. Condolences, goon friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Agreed for sure. I feel like a major difference between a more junior engineer and a more senior engineer is learning when to say "no, this is a bad idea, let's talk about alternative approaches" instead of just rolling up your sleeves.

I had one of those moments last night, for a life critical system that we were trying to upgrade networking for. We executed the rollback with an hour to spare until the deadline, so we spent another 20 minutes trying to do some testing to narrow down the problem*.

*loving supplier lied to us about how their poo poo is set up, so this will mostly likely be annoying to deal with...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

tokin opposition posted:

I don't like technology, I love it.

Users, on the other hand, just get in the way of the tech.
to be young again

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vampire Panties posted:

Well, not to snivel in the work thread, but it kinda/sorta seems like my IT career is at an end. I simply can not find a loving job. I have applied for hundreds, interviewed for dozens, and I simply cannot get an offer. I genuinely don't know what I'm going to do.

Go for thousands and hundreds.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
reminder:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

I mean, I'm both? I designed and wrote my smart house system from the ground up and it's been running constantly for many years. (Even logged events during a break-in at my first house about 15 years ago and helped to cartch the fuckers that made off with my poo poo.)

I also hate printers and own a gun. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

this reminds me of this old crank I knew in the Windows 95 days who would go full :tinfoil: rant about the keepalive packets sent over his modem connection

Internet Explorer posted:

It's not just you. I have very bright friends who have been in the industry for 20+ years who have been without a job for over a year. It seems like, maybe just maybe, things are starting to improve. Condolences, goon friend.

Thank you. I have never struggled this hard to land a job. I've been unemployed over a year, and I've applied for everything. Some jobs I'm not qualified for, some jobs I'm overqualified for, most applications get ghosted

mllaneza posted:

Go for thousands and hundreds.

:shrug: I dunno if there's thousands of phone-toucher roles left. I should/need to reskill into something else, but I have no idea where to start. I'm also extremely, extremely broke after the aforementioned 1 year+ unemployment

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

It took me nearly a year to land a helldesk role after being let go as a cybersecurity analyst. After 6 months of that, I got two job offers in a row for better positions.

The secret I found for getting the most interviews was to not apply to old job postings. If it's older than a week, they are already flooded with hundreds of applications. Set your searches to only apply to stuff posted in the past few days - the earlier you respond to a newly posted job, the more likely it is that you will get human eyes on the resume.

I set up a matrix for myself, possible job titles to search by and job sites to search on. Then I would update each Title/Site combo with the last day I ran the search, so I could keep on track of everything.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Accipiter posted:

I mean, I'm both? I designed and wrote my smart house system from the ground up and it's been running constantly for many years. (Even logged events during a break-in at my first house about 15 years ago and helped to cartch the fuckers that made off with my poo poo.)

I also hate printers and own a gun. 🤷🏻‍♂️

"I hate printers and I own a gun" is the perfect LinkedIn tagline for IT workers in the South.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Vampire Panties posted:

I was out for about a year and almost out of cash and somehow landed a solid job, and if I were to put myself in my shoes a week before landing that job and someone said what I'm saying now I'm not sure how well I would take it, but you got this :love:. Do what you got to do but whatever comes next doesn't have to be permanent, it can just be a stepping stone to something better.

Also the YOSPOS interviewing thread helped me a bunch, it was pretty frustrating at the time reading about their lofty figgie goals when you've got nothing coming in but there's a lot good info in there if you can look past that. Also, MononcQc's LaTeX CV template was really helpful for me, I think.

Apologies if it's all stuff you've come across before, but hang in there, this random internet person hopes things turn around quick for you.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Potato Salad posted:

I almost cannot believe that this exists.

I feel like I'm living in a pod. It's so amazing how getting fired from my last job has been one of the best things that's ever happened to me.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2024/05/dell-to-monitor-worker-vpn-use-badge-swipes-to-enforce-office-policy/

This is some loving buuuuullllshiiiit.

Fully remote workers are ineligible for promotion.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

That's a clever way to get layoffs without doing it officially.

Edit - To be completely transparent, Dell has never had that great of a reputation when it comes to employee pay, benefits, etc. This does not surprise me.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 9, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

39 days in the office per quarter is not hybrid, that's most of each week before you take into account any holiday you take

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Jiro posted:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2024/05/dell-to-monitor-worker-vpn-use-badge-swipes-to-enforce-office-policy/

This is some loving buuuuullllshiiiit.

Fully remote workers are ineligible for promotion.

People should come in just before lunch, log in have lunch, log out and go home again.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

https://www.reuters.com/technology/cybersecurity/ascension-warns-suspected-cyberattack-clinical-operations-disrupted-2024-05-08/

This is loving my whole day up and I don’t even work for Ascension.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Yup we're being told to turn off any interfaces we have with them immediately.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Well when you fire nearly all of your IT in place of contractors two+ years ago, you’re not going to get the same level of quality work. Good job there Ascension, chasing profit margins fucks over another company yet again!

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

That is wild.

Also thanks to everyone who chimed in on my request earlier regarding Python / Flask / Django stuff. I haven't found exactly what I was looking for but I'm learning Flask and that is sufficient for my needs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We have a couple ex-Ascension employees in our security team and they are not surprised.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
had a coworker go "oh not sure everyone knows it but I'm really into" harry potter and it took years of training at not reacting to avoid bursting out in laughter

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Meh people are into whatever. So long as I never had to skillfully navigate around all of their chotchkes at their desk during my helpdesk days I didnt care.

Paternity leave is kicking my rear end. I work non-stop for the 8 hours im actually at work, going to be tough to go back to work full time in August/September.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Meh people are into whatever. So long as I never had to skillfully navigate around all of their chotchkes at their desk during my helpdesk days I didnt care.

Paternity leave is kicking my rear end. I work non-stop for the 8 hours im actually at work, going to be tough to go back to work full time in August/September.

Wait, what? Why are you working on paternity leave at all?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think they're saying that they're not currently working and it will be hard to go from 0-60 due to how busy their job normally is.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm lucky in that my leave is super flexible. I'm only working two days a week right now.

Between that and my wife going part time we can stretch out child care a long time before we have to hire a nanny.

The downside is that I'm not away long enough stretches for people to not hit me up for stuff.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Vampire Panties posted:

I think many of us have been in your shoes. Keep pushing on. The problem is There isn't much hiring for professional white collar jobs

https://www.businessinsider.com/hiring-slump-professional-white-collar-jobs-recession-high-salary-2024-4

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

interview was 45 mins in person. $21 an hour, 50 cents per mile for gas/car wear. Average 3 on sites for clients a week, all within 15 miles. Area single earner income average is 28k a year, so pretty good in my book.

Next interview is next week. Place has only existed as a subsector of a larger company for ~2 years, so yeah. Seems like a dime-a-dozen small MSP.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Dandywalken posted:

interview was 45 mins in person. $21 an hour, 50 cents per mile for gas/car wear. Average 3 on sites for clients a week, all within 15 miles. Area single earner income average is 28k a year, so pretty good in my book.

Next interview is next week. Place has only existed as a subsector of a larger company for ~2 years, so yeah. Seems like a dime-a-dozen small MSP.
For an MSP that's exactly what I would expect. Take it, learn all you can, try to add some certs to your resume, drop them when you find something better.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Vargatron posted:

"I hate printers and I own a gun" is the perfect LinkedIn tagline for IT workers in the South.

Unironically.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Anyone work with PAM solutions? I don't mean anything in AWS or Azure but traditional On-Premise Applications beyond just AD, Exchange, etc. My question is how exactly does that stuff work?

Is it really just fancy applications like CyberArk moving users in and out of groups in AD? If so, that's nuts but makes sense given that how you typically control permissions.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 11, 2024

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Yall know healthcare IT?

Yall know MSP's?

Now combine them. That's basically what I do. We deploy IT systems and servers for my company's products in hospitals and have to negotiate with each one individually the terms and methods of connecting to their systems to fix their poo poo when stuff stops working. Your head of nursing decided to punch the nursing station and it flew across the room and now wont boot up? And to access it we have to submit a Securelink request that may or may not be answered today, and may or may not be for merely an hour of access at a time?
Things that should take less than five minutes to fix winds up taking days or even weeks because of this sort of stuff, and the clients get pissed at us like it's our fault they keep changing the database cache sizes on the server or installing other poo poo on it that crashes our poo poo.
Fortunately on the whole there is absolutely no interest in time spent handling tickets or number of tickets handled in a day. I don't think our supervisor even knows how to look up our KPIs. As long as the problem gets handled, we're good.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I lost my job so I'm looking at returning to role of some solo-onsite-tech at some manufacturing plant again. Might be kinda fun in an "overleveled" kinda way, maybe? Like redoing HS?

It'll probably lose that novelty within a week.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I pitty our local warehouse people because leadership has never given a gently caress about reigning in any management off primary site to any sort of practice or accountability.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

ziasquinn posted:

I lost my job so I'm looking at returning to role of some solo-onsite-tech at some manufacturing plant again. Might be kinda fun in an "overleveled" kinda way, maybe? Like redoing HS?

It'll probably lose that novelty within a week.

that super sucks. nothing wrong with a steady paycheck while you look for something better.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

, 50 cents per mile for gas/car wear.
May want to counter this part with the irs standard rate of 67 cents per mile.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-is...venue%20Service

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Zaepho posted:

May want to counter this part with the irs standard rate of 67 cents per mile.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-is...venue%20Service

Will do, thank you. Ive an older vehicle so that was a concern

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah 67 cents a mile is what we get. Really adds up when they're wanting a daily commute or have you drive five hours to Kansas

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!
New job sucks. News at 11.

Real talk though, my boss, the owner is giving me ptsd/performance anxiety.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I’m now fully addicted to referring to any powerful compute as “big iron”

It’s free, easy, and everyone loves it.

“Look if we need to get this done properly we’ll need some Big Iron to run it on.”

10/10 would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

App13 posted:

I’m now fully addicted to referring to any powerful compute as “big iron”

It’s free, easy, and everyone loves it.

“Look if we need to get this done properly we’ll need some Big Iron to run it on.”

10/10 would recommend.

*IBM Lawyers have entered the chat*