Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I made homemade baked beans today for dinner (with hots and hams too). First time, but daughter doesn't like the canned stuff.

Daughter: Eeew, you are making baked beans for dinner?
Me: Yeah, but these I made myself.
Daughter: *wrinkles nose* But I don't like baked beans.....
Me: But you always say my cooking is better because I make it with love, right?
Daughter: ........yeah...I guess.....
Me: Well, I would hate for the love I put on your plate tonight to go to waste.
Daughter: *baleful look, stomps off* .......Fine........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

SpaceViking posted:

Our daughter has always been garbage at sleeping but it's gotten worse and we're being run ragged. She just turned 20 months, and has started this horrifying new habit of waking up about 11:30 to midnight and just being pissed off for about two hours straight. She doesn't want to be held, she doesn't want to be sung to, she doesn't even want to turn the lights on and run around. She wants to fling herself onto the nearest surface and scream angrily until she's tired enough to listen to music and finally go to bed. She's done this the past three nights in a row and I can see my wife get more deranged before my eyes. Anyone else had anything like this with their kids?

If interventions aren’t helping that means you’re keeping her awake. I know it’s hard for some parents but noise isolating headphones can be a lifesaver for things like this. Most kids go to sleep in a fairly reasonable amount of time when they’re left alone, same as adults.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Renegret posted:

Every age is the new worst age.

Actually, every age is the new best age (after like 1.5). There is nothing so satisfying as seeing your past choices actions finally bearing fruit and seeing your child tackle and then overcome new and bigger challenges and come more and more into their own as a person, and that's what every stage brings!

Every stage also brings new challenges, of course, but honestly that just makes it even better - new opportunities to sow seeds for tomorrow.

Edit: Or maybe I just don't like babies, it could be that too.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 10, 2024

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
New parent here with a 2 month old baby. What's the deal with my baby open palm hitting themselves in the head? Is it self soothing? Everything I am seeing is for toddlers or teething and we're nowhere near that stage yet. I ask because it's driving my wife nuts because she thinks the baby'll hurt themselves.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Testikles posted:

New parent here with a 2 month old baby. What's the deal with my baby open palm hitting themselves in the head? Is it self soothing? Everything I am seeing is for toddlers or teething and we're nowhere near that stage yet. I ask because it's driving my wife nuts because she thinks the baby'll hurt themselves.

They are figuring out how to use their body and everything is new and exciting!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It’s not gonna hurt the baby.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Testikles posted:

babies do this sometimes, it's fine

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The worst is when they hit their heads and faces with their razor sharp baby claws and it looks like you dropped the baby in barbed wire. Then you cut the baby nails and they grow back instantly. Then you put gloves on the baby and they freak the gently caress out.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Our 1yo is discovering the joys of slapping me in the face. I rocked her to sleep for a nap yesterday and she slapped my face then fell asleep. Then punched me in the neck in her sleep. Goblin child.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I desperately miss having a little baby, but also my almost-10 year old just baked and frosted a cake from scratch 100% alone, and now she’s downstairs washing her own laundry. It’s pretty sweet having big kids, I gotta say.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

space uncle posted:

The worst is when they hit their heads and faces with their razor sharp baby claws and it looks like you dropped the baby in barbed wire. Then you cut the baby nails and they grow back instantly. Then you put gloves on the baby and they freak the gently caress out.

Too long for a thread title, unfortunately

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Our 1yo is discovering the joys of slapping me in the face. I rocked her to sleep for a nap yesterday and she slapped my face then fell asleep. Then punched me in the neck in her sleep. Goblin child.

one of my friends told me his almost-3-year-old was getting buckled into the car seat to go home from daycare, the kiddo sweetly whispered "daddy come here" and then just open palm smacked my friend across the face.

I instantly texted back "CHARLIE MURPHY!!!" and died laughing

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
There was a period for about 3 months where every time I rocked her to sleep, her arm would shoot upwards and aim directly for my mouth or nose. No amount of gentle persuasion would get her to stop, only firmly holding her arm away. And then she'd cry.

Had to make a lot of tough choices and had a lot of baby fingers up my nose for a while there.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Thank you all for the great answers. That's what I figured and it helps bring validated. I look forward to years of being beaten up by my baby.

space uncle posted:

*thousand yard stare*

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

space uncle posted:

I still haven’t gotten the newborn used to the Snoo motion. Did I just spend $150/mo to have a fancy analog bassinet with all smart features turned off? *clownmakeup.meme*

I had to laugh at this because I feel like we bought toys for the kids, thinking they would play a lot with them only for them to play with them once before discarding them in their minds.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

space uncle posted:

We’re so fortunate that kg3 doesn’t mind mittens. He will suck on his fingers whether they’re in mittens or not, which is pretty nasty

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Somehow last night Ms 2 managed to flop into the bars of her crib and give herself a bloody nose. That was a fun one to deal with.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

space uncle posted:

We usually dress baby in onesies with closed sleeves for the night and she doesn't freak out. Lucky us :)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I should tell you the pea cannon story.

When my daughter was starting on solid foods and feeding herself we gave her soft things to chew on, such as cooked peas. One day at dinner time she was sitting in her high chair with various foods having a happy ol' time. I turned away to deal with something, and when I came back I saw her stuffing peas up her nose, one right after the other.

:wtc:

I try to get them out and I manage to get one but there was another way up there and by this point she's turned into a real wrigler. Myself and my wife took her upstairs to get ready to go to the hospital when I decided to google this issue, because by this point we had finally figured out we were not the first parents on earth. (That really did take way to long to figure out)

I read that if you blow in their mouths while pinching the free nostril the obstruction will come out. So we put her on the changing table, my wife holding her legs at the foot of the table, and I pinch the nose and give a quick breath onto her mouth as if I was doing CPR. I hear my wife give a little sharp gasp and start laughing, and my daughter starts giggling as well. Checking the nose showed no more peas up there, and I turn to look at my wife who has...a pea squished against her glasses. Apparently the pea shot out of my daughter's nose and smacked my wife right in the face, embedding itself on her glasses.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKgyH9k1CSM

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Testikles posted:

We’re on our second baby now. He’s 5 months old and has decided that the best thing in the world is my long luscious beard, and he must grab it at every opportunity. Cute, except he now grips HARD and pulls with all his might.

Considering a clean shave for the first time in 10 years.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

We’re on our second baby now. He’s 5 months old and has decided that the best thing in the world is my long luscious beard, and he must grab it at every opportunity. Cute, except he now grips HARD and pulls with all his might.

Considering a clean shave for the first time in 10 years.

In all seriousness, shaving off your beard will scare the poo poo out of your kid.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i trimmed mine down a lot and now he lovingly strokes it, also 5mo old

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Cimber posted:

In all seriousness, shaving off your beard will scare the poo poo out of your kid.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the baby, but what about my five year old? She’s be inconsolable.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

Also my baby is starting to feel a lot better so I'm taking bets on who's the next to get sick.

My money's on my wife, because this Friday is her last day of work before taking her last month of FMLA leave and the universe has decreed that we can't have nice things. Her plan is to completely isolate the whole family so we can not be sick for more than a few days at once, so there's no way this is going to go as planned.

Now that he's feeling better I chose today to try oatmeal with him again, because he only had it once and he broke out in a rash and we cut it out.

I chose today to give him a little bit of oatmeal to try again, he skipped two bottles and has thrown up four times. I got nobody to blame but myself on this one. Got a lot of dad guilt, today was a bad day for this. But I didn't actually believe he had an oatmeal problem because at first his only reaction was on his skin, and oatmeal allergies are rare and it's even rarer for it to be a skin thing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
How are you preparing it? Just water? Is it raw oatmeal or baby oatmeal?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Baby oatmeal, just water. The same water I used for baby rice that he's fine with.

e: the first red flag was this oatmeal Aveeno lotion that he broke out really bad only on the spots where we put it. But lotion has so many variables and he's had problems with other lotions so we weren't ready to blame the oatmeal.

Then when it came time to try food, we started with oatmeal and he broke out in a rash again. We still weren't ready to blame oatmeal since he breaks out in rashes a lot and we still haven't narrowed down the cause, but we gave him a break the stuff just to be safe.

He had a great morning up until I gave him the oatmeal, he's thrown up 6 times so far since then.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 10, 2024

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I went full clean shaven for summer and my 1yo took 3 days to trust me as Dad again.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Sleep training night one: kid 1 cried for 80 minutes, kid 2 for 28

Night two: kid 1 cried 30 minutes, kid 2 for 10

Kid 2 owns, time for a glass or three of wine

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Renegret posted:

Baby oatmeal, just water. The same water I used for baby rice that he's fine with.

e: the first red flag was this oatmeal Aveeno lotion that he broke out really bad only on the spots where we put it. But lotion has so many variables and he's had problems with other lotions so we weren't ready to blame the oatmeal.

Then when it came time to try food, we started with oatmeal and he broke out in a rash again. We still weren't ready to blame oatmeal since he breaks out in rashes a lot and we still haven't narrowed down the cause, but we gave him a break the stuff just to be safe.

He had a great morning up until I gave him the oatmeal, he's thrown up 6 times so far since then.

Oat allergy is "fun". I'd stop the oats and get an allergen panel.

We have shellfish, eggs, oats, rye, cashew, sucralose. I'm really used to reading every label every time.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

nachos posted:

Sleep training night one: kid 1 cried for 80 minutes, kid 2 for 28

Night two: kid 1 cried 30 minutes, kid 2 for 10

Kid 2 owns, time for a glass or three of wine

We refer to this as a ‘strong application’ (for the favorite child).

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My wife has taken the kids to a birthday party, and she graciously let me stay home. I have at least 4 hours of free time. I don't think I can fit all of my free-time fantasies into 4 hours. Gonna have to decide between chores, video games, or reading a book uninterrupted...

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Good-Natured Filth posted:

My wife has taken the kids to a birthday party, and she graciously let me stay home. I have at least 4 hours of free time. I don't think I can fit all of my free-time fantasies into 4 hours. Gonna have to decide between chores, video games, or reading a book uninterrupted...

Or you can waste it all away by browsing the forums.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Personally I usually squander that time by doing chores in peace. Or staring up at the ceiling doing nothing because I'm always so busy I start feeling guilt when I try to do something for myself.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tangentially related, but I bought one of these "retro handheld game emulators" recently

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937810&pagenumber=252&perpage=40&userid=0#post539403880

Basically it's an android/Linux Device with a D pad and abxy start select and LR shoulder trigger buttons the same size/shape as a Gameboy and will play NES, game boy color, SNES, N64, even PlayStation 1 games (PS1 depends on if you buy the more expensive models)

They usually run about $70 on Amazon but the really fancy ones are like $150

Anyways it's nice because I can put on octonauts on the living room TV for the kid and then sit on the couch and play super Mario land or links awakening or whatever. Gameboy games are generally designed for 20-40 minute sessions between save points etc

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 11, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm currently at a birthday party and desperately wishing it would loving end

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Renegret posted:

Personally I usually squander that time by doing chores in peace. Or staring up at the ceiling doing nothing because I'm always so busy I start feeling guilt when I try to do something for myself.

I ended up doing outdoor chores, which are so much easier without the kids wanting me to stop what I'm doing every 10 minutes to remind them how to kick a ball or whatever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's astonishing what a kid will "need help" with when they just want to distract you.

My daughter asked me how to turn her bike. We were two thirds of the way around the block. I think you know, boo!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I took Wed-Fri off to decompress from a hellish work stretch and got ~2 hours of uninterrupted chore time across 3 days because we don’t do daycare and I was tapped for supervisory duty.

For Father’s Day I’m thinking of asking for 8 hours of project time. There are lots of power tool projects on my list and I’m not ready to let the kids loose in the garage while I’m fiddling on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 12, 2024