Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

venus de lmao posted:

how the gently caress did we find this out

well, have you ever seen the TV show “Iron Chef”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

venus de lmao posted:

Look, the Soviet Humanzee project had to crawl before it could walk, okay!?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

venus de lmao posted:

I'm not going to dig any deeper into this disturbing well, but this seems like a pioneering study. I'll just quote the Yanagimachis and Rogers:

R. YANAGIMACHI, H. YANAGIMACHI and B. J. ROGERS posted:

The fertilizing capacity of human spermatozoa could be assessed by depositing the spermatozoa in the female genital tract at the time of ovulation and later examining the ova for evidence of fertilization. Alternatively, ova can be inseminated in vitro (Hayashi, 1963; Edwards et al., 1969; Bavister et al., 1969; Edwards et al., 1970; Seitz et al., 1971; Soupart and Morgenstern, 1973; Soupart and Strong, 1974; Overstreet and Hembree, 1975). The latter approach eliminates many complicating factors inherent with in vivo techniques and enables us to conduct precise, analytical studies of the physiology of spermatozoa and of the fertilization processes. The only serious drawback to this approach is that human ova are not readily available in most hospitals and laboratories. While studying ovum-sperm interactions among various animals, we found that human spermatozoa, which were initially incapable of penetrating zona pellucida-free animal (hamster) ova, acquired the ability to do so when incubated several hours in vitro. Here, we present supportive evidence that zona-free hamster ova may be used as a substitute for human ova in the preliminary assessment of the fertilizing capacity of human spermatozoa.

MATERIALS AND METHODS
The reasons for using the ova of the golden hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) in this study were simply that these ova could be readily obtained in our laboratories and the background information (Yanagimachi and Noda, 1970a,b; Yanagimachi, 1972a) needed in the interpretation of the results was available.

Bolding mine.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Literal 'let's smash these two things together in our lab and see what happens' mad science. Except it worked.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

They love loving-science

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Chamale posted:

Hamsters can become pregnant from human sperm (with non-viable offspring)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They are called humansters

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

They prefer himster/herster/theyster

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Keru posted:

some morally inept fucker, probably

I appreciated this

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nuclear War posted:

I appreciated this

You appreciate that? What the hell is wrong with you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

What the hell is wrong with you

Let’s just say that their depravity knew no limits.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

While white dresses at a wedding in Europe (and places colonized by European powers) were a thing for a long while, they did not have the monopoly that they have nowadays. The person who apparently popularized the idea that wedding dresses MUST be white was none other than (drumroll please...)

Queen Victoria. Before then it was whatever really took one's fancy, but with how media worked, plus luvvie culture, white dresses at a wedding was what was considered proper ever since.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 06:32 on May 12, 2024

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Samovar posted:

While white dresses at a wedding in Europe (and places colonized by European powers) were a thing for a long while, they did not have the monopoly that they have nowadays. The person who apparently popularized the idea that wedding dresses MUST be white was none other than (drumroll please...)

Queen Victoria. Before then it was whatever really took one's fancy, but with how media worked, plus luvvie culture, white dresses at a wedding was what was considered proper ever since.

I'm going to freestyle here and say the state of Virginia, uh wait

quote:

The state of Virginia was named after England's Queen Elizabeth I. In the early 1600's, all of North America that was not Spanish or French was then called "Virginia" in honor of "The Virgin Queen," and the earliest English colonial expeditions were sent by the Virginia Company of London. Virginia became the 10th state on June 25, 1788.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Samovar posted:

And the best part is, the adoption of white wedding dresses was 100% trend chasing. Vickie wore a white dress, therefore it is now The Thing. All that stuff about purity, etc to explain the color choice is post hoc, because after a while people either forgot it began as a trend, or didn't want to admit it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Fighting Trousers posted:

And the best part is, the adoption of white wedding dresses was 100% trend chasing. Vickie wore a white dress, therefore it is now The Thing. All that stuff about purity, etc to explain the color choice is post hoc, because after a while people either forgot it began as a trend, or didn't want to admit it.

Just to add to this, she was surprisingly tiny

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Pookah posted:

Yes, but look at the size of that coronation cake Prince Albert was having.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Pookah posted:

Google says 1,52m after some finagling under a strange debate and stranger still denom's in unintuitive combinatory measurements

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pookah posted:

At the end of her life she was wider than she was tall.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Google says 1,52m after some finagling under a strange debate and stranger still denom's in unintuitive combinatory measurements

i'm stroking out

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Also, she had no head.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i'm stroking out

feets and inches will do that to you

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

not everyone strokes to feet, tarantino

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Marcade posted:

Also, she had no head.

i think Albert went down on her, she was wild about their sex life

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Pookah posted:

https://youtu.be/aHze0SqB5Zg

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Marcade posted:

Also, she had no head.

Or hands by the looks of it

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Yeah but what does your post actually mean?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah but what does your post actually mean?

not the op but i had to read that post a bunch of times to puzzle through it myself but eventually arrived at the conclusion that "stranger still denom[inations? i assume?] or denominators as in 1/12 fractions?]'s in unintuitive combinatory measurements" is just a complaint about having had to convert from feet and inches

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

InediblePenguin posted:

not the op but i had to read that post a bunch of times to puzzle through it myself but eventually arrived at the conclusion that "stranger still denom[inations? i assume?] or denominators as in 1/12 fractions?]'s in unintuitive combinatory measurements" is just a complaint about having had to convert from feet and inches
I figured it was because people had to solve for her actual height based on dressmaking records and poo poo vs having the royal doctor write down “Vicky: shortass grade 2”

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

It was this, and sorry for being bored with directly writing out imperial measurements are stupid? Converting one measurements into a bit of another and then a smidge of a third completely different one, and vice versa, is fully hosed. It creates faults

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

sorry for having trouble parsing a sentence you wrote i guess??? e: like i didn't have a problem with your sentiment, i literally had difficulty figuring out what the words you wrote even were and what they meant. sorry?
e2: and none of this has been a moral judgement, it is a statement of fact about my experience reading the post ok

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 20:14 on May 13, 2024

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

As someone who is 5 metric feet, 2 hands, and 3.9 hammer units tall, I see nothing wrong with mixing measurements.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Marcade posted:

As someone who is 5 metric feet, 2 hands, and 3.9 hammer units tall, I see nothing wrong with mixing measurements.

I hate you and your height a god awful lot, tell you what

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

InediblePenguin posted:

sorry for having trouble parsing a sentence you wrote i guess??? e: like i didn't have a problem with your sentiment, i literally had difficulty figuring out what the words you wrote even were and what they meant. sorry?
e2: and none of this has been a moral judgement, it is a statement of fact about my experience reading the post ok

I'm still not sure about the "strange debate" part lol

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I'm still not sure about the "strange debate" part lol

People couldn't agree if she was 4 foot 10, 4 11¼, or 5 feet +, and were apperently still debating it to this day, and I got furious about imprecise god daAMN IMPERIAL MEASUREMENTS ITS SO BLOODY STUPID AND ITS SOMEONES FAULT!!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

People couldn't agree if she was 4 foot 10, 4 11¼, or 5 feet +, and were apperently still debating it to this day, and I got furious about imprecise god daAMN IMPERIAL MEASUREMENTS ITS SO BLOODY STUPID AND ITS SOMEONES FAULT!!

As with everything else, that someone is the british

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

How is this complicated?
Victoria got shorter as she got older, it's a perfectly normal part of aging, and it's not like she was a giant to begin with.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Its not about Vicky, it's about having to suffer seeing feet and inches

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Seeing Feet and Showing Inches, the Quintin Tarantino story.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
British monarchs are always in imperial and if they complain about it maybe they should have thought about that before making an empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The worst British is Barack Obama.