Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Perhaps the reason the Fragile is viewed as a disappointment to some was this weird idea that it was going around at the time that it was going to 'save Rock. And then it wasn't quite that big of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You can't convince me Starfuckers is not a drat near beat for beat love letter to "Hallo Spaceboy"
It's the only way you can explain Trent going all drum and bass outta nowhere

or maybe he accidentally lifted it like Crystal Japan but either way the shared Bowie DNA all across the album just makes me love it all the more, especially since I came to Bowie well after I got into Nine Inch Nails

Thanks for posting about Hallo Spaceboy. I listened to it (it is very NIN-like) - now I'm listening to the album and The Hearts Filthy Lesson is also very NIN-like.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Thanks for posting about Hallo Spaceboy. I listened to it (it is very NIN-like) - now I'm listening to the album and The Hearts Filthy Lesson is also very NIN-like.

Oh the cross-pollination between 90s Bowie and Trent is incredible to behold.
For instance Adrian Belew is a hugely prominent Bowie collaborator that Trent brought in for his stuff starting with TDS
all the dissonant piano on The Fragile is Mike Garson who'd been working with Bowie since the 70s but is very prominent in the same style all throughout "Outside"

Bowie worked directly with Reznor on "I'm Afraid of Americans" of course after they did their shared tour in 1995 (of which there is a really good bootleg I'd highly recommend tracking down - has Bowie singing "Hurt" and Trent playing sax on "Subterraneans" as some highlights, in fact just dig this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnr_RAexqxg)

They really respected each other to the point where Bowie credited Trent with his music help him get out of his late 80s/early 90s creative funk and Trent has more or less said that being around Bowie saved his life.

Also probably why this cover is one of the most heartbreaking bits of music ever made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is5xByNXgtM

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Diet Poison posted:

I know The Fragile underwent a million tracklist changes. I don't think there's anywhere Reznor catalogued them, is there? I definitely remember him saying there was a one-disc version and I'd really be interested to see what made that cut.

You can find a few one-disc tracklists here: https://www.nin.wiki/index.php?title=The_Fragile_(halo)

These are from before Bob Ezrin came in to sequence everything. There's some names on there that are working titles for other tracks, both confirmed and speculated.

You can't convince me Starfuckers is not a drat near beat for beat love letter to "Hallo Spaceboy"
It's the only way you can explain Trent going all drum and bass outta nowhere

or maybe he accidentally lifted it like Crystal Japan but either way the shared Bowie DNA all across the album just makes me love it all the more, especially since I came to Bowie well after I got into Nine Inch Nails

Bowie took NIN on tour in support of the Outside album but the DnB sound of Perfect Drug (and Starfuckers toying with that style even more) is more related to Earthling imo which came out around the same time as Perfect Drug, was also very heavily experimenting with the same style and had Trent collaborate with Bowie on a new mix of I'm Afraid of Americans. That seems to be when both of them delved into that sound and explored it.

Funnily enough, Alan Moulder said that during the making of The Fragile he and Trent would just drive around New Orleans listening to a lot of hip hop. Apparently the Dr. Octagonecologyst record was very inspirational and a favorite for them both. You can hear the influence here and there for sure, and it's probably what led Trent to getting Dre in the studio.

Edit: You posted while I was writing this :haw:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

You can find a few one-disc tracklists here: https://www.nin.wiki/index.php?title=The_Fragile_(halo)

These are from before Bob Ezrin came in to sequence everything. There's some names on there that are working titles for other tracks, both confirmed and speculated.

Bowie took NIN on tour in support of the Outside album but the DnB sound of Perfect Drug (and Starfuckers toying with that style even more) is more related to Earthling imo which came out around the same time as Perfect Drug, was also very heavily experimenting with the same style and had Trent collaborate with Bowie on a new mix of I'm Afraid of Americans. That seems to be when both of them delved into that sound and explored it.

Funnily enough, Alan Moulder said that during the making of The Fragile he and Trent would just drive around New Orleans listening to a lot of hip hop. Apparently the Dr. Octagonecologyst record was very inspirational and a favorite for them both. You can hear the influence here and there for sure, and it's probably what led Trent to getting Dre in the studio.

Edit: You posted while I was writing this :haw:

Haha, that's cool though - I didn't know about (but certainly can hear the breakbeat/hip hop influences) in Trent's work.

Now I kinda need a Dan the Automator/Trent Reznor cross-over project more than I've ever needed anything else in my life

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
And of course let's not forget the most obvious connection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUgmeEDBwbI

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

SUNKOS posted:

Excellent, cool, thanks.
Notably none of the three one-disc versions shown have We're In This Together on them. Must have been a late addition. You'd be nuts to cut that song.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

We're In This Together reminds me that I really like Trent's guitar playing during the Fragile era. The solos (for lack of a better term) in that track, The Wretched and Deep are so good. Not wild noodling but very expressive and that distorted wah (I think?) just sounds awesome and very distinct. I know he's not really known for his guitar playing but he's got a really cool style imo, I hope the new NIN material has him picking it up again.

Speaking of styles, Mike Garson's piano in The Hearts Filthy Lesson is spectacular and I can see why Trent wanted him to play on The Fragile, but according to Garson there was a lot of material he played on that was just outright cut. If I remember right Trent's reasoning was that his style is so distinct and connected to Bowie that it was overly obvious and so it's only on a few tracks (and still toned down e.g. Just Like You Imagined, of which there's a great live performance somewhere with Mike joining NIN on stage and playing his entire part all throughout the song and it's awesome) but in retrospect I'm a bit bummed they didn't find their way onto the instrumental re-release of The Fragile since that would have been a really unique release.

Also I just listened to the Heresy demo on the deluxe TDS for the first time and holy gently caress Manson really did copy Trent so much :stare: Antichrist is literally him ripping Trent's vocal style from this demo and the chorus of Gave Up ("Smashed up..." parts), nevermind how much work the NIN crew did on AS to begin with. Trent was already moving on to new things by that time anyways but I wonder how it would have turned out if they'd just kicked Manson out the studio for being such a dipshit and Trent had sang on everything and refined the songs further. Hell, maybe they could have used all that material for Tapeworm :haw:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rob Sheridan posted that he's working with Pearl Jam now.

Rob Sheridan posted:

Very excited to finally tell you what's kept us so busy recently: I’ve had the unique honor of directing/creating the first-ever tour visuals for one of the greatest live rock bands of our generation and a hugely formative part of my Seattle youth: Pearl Jam.

I haven’t worked in tour production/design since NIN 2014, but I always said I would go back to it one day if the right artist and the right creative connection came around. There’s a short list of musicians I’d drop everything and rewire a year of my family’s entire life to make art with, and Eddie Vedder is absolutely one of them.

Ed and I hit it off immediately and discussed an inspiring, experimental approach to creating textural video art inspired by the “Dark Matter” theme using decidedly tactile and analog methods, with the the album’s light-painted artwork as a jumping off point (I wasn’t involved in the album art / promotions, that was all underway when I came on board). Steph, who produced the project, set up a raw studio space here in Tacoma and assembled a lean local camera crew, and we spent two months filming in the experimental, open-ended, DIY style that I like to work. With macro lenses and the 1000fps Ember slow-motion camera (made by fantastic local Washington company Freefly), we followed paths of inspiration through elements and states of matter: Light refractions, chemical reactions, fluid dynamics, incandescent projections (including an old overhead projector that ended up in the show) and other experimental setups tracing the connective tissue of the universe. It was prolific and intense, and wouldn’t have been possible without Steph’s rapid problem-solving and a talented camera, animation, and post-prod team.

A grueling month of editing/programming/rehearsals later, the Dark Matter world tour is out on the road now, with two shows under our belt in Vancouver last weekend.

I’ll have a lot more to say about this production, the unique analog practical VFX we employed, and of course videos to share as more people start to see the shows and I maybe get ten seconds to breathe. For now, I’m off to Portland - show number three is tonight!

Good for him :unsmith:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My boss went to the PJ show in Van and he said it was excellent but he was at the side so couldn’t really see the screens

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
All the NIN history shared today has been excellent. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I loved the Bowie + NIN show. I found a 45 min video of it on YouTube. Reptile ruled!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
NIN obviously had a huge influence, and there were a lot of bands signed and stuff released in the 90s because of Trent's success and especially more industrial rock stuff that sounded like Broken and TDS.

But what other bands specifically ripped off the Pretty Hate Machine sound? I ask because I was thinking about Sister Machine Gun and thinking "I wish they just kept sounding like PHM." Sins of the Flesh just blatantly takes that sound, to the point the track Sins of the Flesh makes your brain want to sing the chorus to Head Like a Hole. But, what I'm saying is this is good and I want to listen to more bands that just decided to do that. I just can't really think of any, because most of the bands I can think of that got deals in the early 90s had their own sounds and got signed rather than just trying to sound like NIN. But I'm sure more did and I just never really listened to them.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
The first time I got to see NIN live was in 2000 when they toured in Australia with the Big Day Out. The Fragile had just been released and I remember there being a lot of hype around it. It was getting heavy airplay on the alternative radio station here, all my friends who liked the album were really excited to see it get performed live.

It was.. not great. There's probably videos of it floating around online but the vibe I got being there was that Trent and the band seemed really out of synch with each other, everything seemed sloppy and barely holding together, which was weird because the album felt so precise and deliberate. I think if I remember correctly Trent was having a lot of issues at the time and that probably explains somewhat why that show was so bad. While I was disappointed by the concert, it didn't diminish my love of the album or band and when I saw NIN on their next tour, it was a very different experience.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

But what other bands specifically ripped off the Pretty Hate Machine sound? I ask because I was thinking about Sister Machine Gun and thinking "I wish they just kept sounding like PHM." Sins of the Flesh just blatantly takes that sound, to the point the track Sins of the Flesh makes your brain want to sing the chorus to Head Like a Hole. But, what I'm saying is this is good and I want to listen to more bands that just decided to do that. I just can't really think of any, because most of the bands I can think of that got deals in the early 90s had their own sounds and got signed rather than just trying to sound like NIN. But I'm sure more did and I just never really listened to them.

This thread introduced me to The Black Queen (YouTube says eight years ago), saying it was very similar to a modern PHM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj9-QKZVW54

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bowie worked directly with Reznor on "I'm Afraid of Americans" of course after they did their shared tour in 1995 (of which there is a really good bootleg I'd highly recommend tracking down - has Bowie singing "Hurt" and Trent playing sax on "Subterraneans" as some highlights, in fact just dig this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnr_RAexqxg)

Picked these up at a local record fair a few years ago, both double transparent vinyl covering both NIN and Bowie's sets.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MassRafTer posted:

I can’t think of anything as blatant as Sins of the Flesh, but obviously PHM was in turn influenced by a lot of contemporary albums. You’re probably familiar with all of these, but Depeche Mode Black Celebration, some early Skinny Puppy & Front 242, Ministry Twitch, Gary Numan, etc.

PHM seems like it really came at the tail end of a particular sound that quickly vanished due to improvements in recording gear, synths, samplers, etc. Releases just 1-2 years later sound vastly more modern.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

IUG posted:

This thread introduced me to The Black Queen (YouTube says eight years ago), saying it was very similar to a modern PHM.

Yeah, I’m sure it was mentioned at the time but this is Greg Puciato of Dillinger Escape Plan, Josh Eustis of Telefon Tel Aviv and touring band member for Hesitation Marks, and a NIN guitar tech

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

david_a posted:

I can’t think of anything as blatant as Sins of the Flesh, but obviously PHM was in turn influenced by a lot of contemporary albums. You’re probably familiar with all of these, but Depeche Mode Black Celebration, some early Skinny Puppy & Front 242, Ministry Twitch, Gary Numan, etc.

PHM seems like it really came at the tail end of a particular sound that quickly vanished due to improvements in recording gear, synths, samplers, etc. Releases just 1-2 years later sound vastly more modern.

Let's look at Skinny Puppy, they influenced countless bands, some who took more blatant inspiration than others. Haujobb's Homes and Gardens comes out in 1993 but it feels much more influenced by early Skinny Puppy than Too Dark Park or Last Rights. So I don't think it was a matter of technology changing.

IUG posted:

I have seen the Black Queen live and they didn't come to mind, thanks!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Today's the 30th anniversary of the Closer video premiering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTFwQP86BRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

There was also this from Rob Sheridan:

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1789780248927559798?t=yjzWQ4wNn3Ek38Kjk4aJFw&s=19