Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

JBP posted:

drat what happened? I've missed this news.

Unisuper has been offline completely for over a week. They are currently blaming a never before seen google cloud bug.

There would have been a run on the fund already but no one can get money out (though I trust the insiders already have).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Got to be more to the story right. Imagine your bank just stopped working for 7 days. That's got to be massive incompetence.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Comstar posted:

google cloud bug.

my bet is on didnt pay their bill

because gcp will cut you off when ur 1 second late

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Spookydonut posted:

my bet is on didnt pay their bill

because gcp will cut you off when ur 1 second late

We regret to inform you we have already reformatted all the hard drives that said how much money your customers had. Lol, lmao.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Comstar posted:

Unisuper has been offline completely for over a week. They are currently blaming a never before seen google cloud bug.

There would have been a run on the fund already but no one can get money out (though I trust the insiders already have).

A run on the fund is a hot take. You're the first person I know of with a UniSuper account that is viewing this with more than idle amusement.

Google has gone on record to accept their blame and role in the issue. I'd be on the lookout for the final postmortem before shooting from the hip. Your super isn't the same as a US hedge fund, and they've said that the trading systems are separate and safe.

That said, my nonfinancial advice is my financial planner says BT Panorama Super is competitive for people not on a defined benefit.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

snail posted:

Google has gone on record to accept their blame and role in the issue. I'd be on the lookout for the final postmortem before shooting from the hip. Your super isn't the same as a US hedge fund, and they've said that the trading systems are separate and safe.

They announced at midnight that Google fat fingered the delete key and deleted their account and then needed to take 8 days to restore from backup.

When I thought Google was undergoing enshittification, I didn't think it meant something like that. In other news, who has good email account I can transfer my google account from?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The FSU have had a shot at unisuper for outsourcing, relating it to this issue.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I feel like the potential for gently caress ups would be much much worse if super funds went with something other than big name cloud providers.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
yeah imagine it on australian servers that havent been properly updated in 40 years and still have essential parts running on windows 3.1

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Regular Wario posted:

yeah imagine it on australian servers that havent been properly updated in 40 years and still have essential parts running on windows 3.1

bom still doesn't support https lmao

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the weather doesnt need to be secure

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Regular Wario posted:

the weather doesnt need to be secure

yeah you dont gotta care if the weather is coming from the actual bom anyone calling themselves bom and sending data from what looks like them will do

(non poo poo post https isnt just secure data transmission its also identity verification)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
just go outside

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

birdstrike posted:

just go outside

no

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I went outside once and it was terrible

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Comstar posted:

That would be terrible, however I thought a lot of universities have UniSuper locked in as the super fund in their EBAs with the union. I.e. Even if a university employee wanted to get out of it, they couldn't because it's written in blood the EBA.

I believe supermarket workers have a similar thing with REST.

birdstrike posted:

just go outside

No :colbert:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

froglet posted:

That would be terrible, however I thought a lot of universities have UniSuper locked in as the super fund in their EBAs with the union. I.e. Even if a university employee wanted to get out of it, they couldn't because it's written in blood the EBA.

I believe supermarket workers have a similar thing with REST.

No :colbert:

Most EAs won't have this any more, it was proscribed in 2021.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Please our network infrastructure is running on windows NT whatever version was around in 2003 not 3.1

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
best viewed on internet explorer 6 or netscape navigator

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Regular Wario posted:

Up until two years ago, we had stuff at work running on a 486.

Kids, if you don't know that that is, ask your grandparents.

e: lol, they were still being made up till 2007.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
All the major banks are still using cobol running on ancient mainframes

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

quote:

UniSuper was able to eventually restore services because the fund had backups in place with another provider.

Fffffffffuck.

It wasn't even Google that restored it.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
COBOL yes, ancient no. Modern mainframes are fuckin beasts

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Up until two years ago, we had stuff at work running on a 486.

Kids, if you don't know that that is, ask your grandparents.

e: lol, they were still being made up till 2007.

My older brothers friend had a 486 dx4-100 that ran the Seventh Guest and Doom 2 so smoothly and I was so very, very envious.

:corsair:

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

SecretOfSteel posted:

My older brothers friend had a 486 dx4-100 that ran the Seventh Guest and Doom 2 so smoothly and I was so very, very envious.

:corsair:

Wait ‘til you get a load of Pentium MMX.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's all about the Pentiums baby

E: that song is 25 years old lol

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 10, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Starting the nuclear reactor safety control system by inserting a floppy disk labelled "Kickstart v2.0"

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
whoops we lost your records because someone used a dash instead of an underscore when starting the dos program

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bruce "the rapist" Lehman has been found liable, and now has to pay Channel 10s legal costs for his bullshit ill advised "Im not a rapist" court case.

Good. gently caress him. Hes a rapist.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

The strategy, released by the resources minister, Madeleine King, argued gas was an important part of the transition to net zero emissions and that Australia would need new sources of it to meet demand “to 2050 and beyond”.

Critics said some of the language mirrored that used by the gas industry to argue gas was part of the solution to the climate crisis despite it leading to substantial greenhouse gas emissions when burned.

hmmmm..

Guardian AU posted:

Hundreds of the world’s leading climate scientists expect global temperatures to rise to at least 2.5C (4.5F) above preindustrial levels this century, blasting past internationally agreed targets and causing catastrophic consequences for humanity and the planet, an exclusive Guardian survey has revealed.

Almost 80% of the respondents, all from the authoritative Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), foresee at least 2.5C of global heating, while almost half anticipate at least 3C (5.4F). Only 6% thought the internationally agreed 1.5C (2.7F) limit would be met.

Many of the scientists envisage a “semi-dystopian” future, with famines, conflicts and mass migration, driven by heatwaves, wildfires, floods and storms of an intensity and frequency far beyond those that have already struck.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM....

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Regular Wario posted:

whoops we lost your records because someone used a dash instead of an underscore when starting the dos program

It’s because my mate Robert ‘); DROP TABLE UNISUPER;~~ signed up

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

hmmmm..

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM....

lol

lmao

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hooman posted:

hmmmm..

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM....

And for a brief shining moment, a whole stack of people made some money

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BrigadierSensible posted:

Bruce "the rapist" Lehman has been found liable, and now has to pay Channel 10s legal costs for his bullshit ill advised "Im not a rapist" court case.

Good. gently caress him. Hes a rapist.

Laughing at his ... I wont say misfortune, he clearly deserved every bit of punishment coming his way. But still laughing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lmao hes five million in the hole

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lmao hes five million in the hole

Proving you're a rapist for the low low price of 5 million bux.

Priviledged white man (rapist) stays winning.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 11, 2024

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I just read an article titled "Was Gandhi a racist" On the ABC

The National broadcater truly tackling the important, pressing, and relevant issues of yhe day.

Thank you Ida

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't believe someone in dfat hosed up so bad they we voted for Palestinian the statehood thing at the UN lmao

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Can't believe someone in dfat hosed up so bad they we voted for Palestinian the statehood thing at the UN lmao

The pivot to China has finally begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BrigadierSensible posted:

I just read an article titled "Was Gandhi a racist" On the ABC

The National broadcater truly tackling the important, pressing, and relevant issues of yhe day.

Thank you Ida

Rare L for betteridge’s law