Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
Although it has been reported that moths have bitten humans in Asia, it was not until the summer of 1999 that a Russian scientist, Vladimir Kononenko, observed that this species of moth was capable of filling its stomach with human blood.[7]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
"Negro" is a dated term for black people.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Version 1 concatenates the 48-bit MAC address of the "node" (that is, the computer generating the UUID), with a 60-bit timestamp, being the number of 100-nanosecond intervals since midnight 15 October 1582 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), the date on which the Gregorian calendar was first adopted by the bulk of Europe, which at that time was dominated by Roman Catholic Spain.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A clootie well is a holy well (or sacred spring), almost always with a tree growing beside it, where small strips of cloth or ribbons are left as part of a healing ritual, usually by tying them to branches of the tree (called a clootie tree or rag tree).

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
now you got your clootie shot

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

haveblue posted:

good thing it’s the Wikipedia anyone can edit

(those bits were probably written years apart, paleontologists went back and forth on what to call it a couple of times)

I can explain why :pseudo:

the name of any species is linked to type specimens, which are the individuals that the species description was based on. Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus were described by different scientist, and from different specimens.

if you think that the specimens that were used to describe both Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus came from the same species, the older name Apatosaurus takes priority. if you think that they are different species, both Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus are valid names for different kind of dinosaurs.

there are palaeontologists on both sides of the issue, and it's not settled.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Critics also objected to the portrayal of Jesus, one complaining that it was "painful" to see "the youthful Saviour" depicted as "a red-headed Jew boy".[4]

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Pakled posted:

Critics also objected to the portrayal of Jesus, one complaining that it was "painful" to see "the youthful Saviour" depicted as "a red-headed Jew boy".[4]

hahahahaha

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pakled posted:

Somehow not related to South Park at all.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Pakled posted:

lol, but also look at jesus

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mescal posted:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Contents

Early life
Career
Leaded gasoline
Freon
Death
Legacy

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

After learning of his internet activities, the FBI attempted to place him under physical surveillance, but this was generally ineffective because for several weeks he did not leave his parents' house or open the front door.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

please don't doxx everyone in yospos simultaneously

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mescal posted:

"I swear, I try to get the boy in here to teach him the craft, maybe get a decent day's work out of him, and his mother just comes in and reveres him all day! And don't get me started on the chorus of angels! Useless."

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Kazinsal posted:

Contents

Early life
Career
Leaded gasoline
Freon
Death
Legacy

From that same article, under Legacy:

quote:

Midgley's legacy is the negative environmental impact of leaded gasoline and freon.[29] Environmental historian J. R. McNeill opined that Midgley "had more adverse impact on the atmosphere than any other single organism in Earth's history",[30] and Bill Bryson remarked that Midgley possessed "an instinct for the regrettable that was almost uncanny".[31] Fred Pearce, writing for New Scientist, described Midgley as a "one-man environmental disaster".[32]

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

In one TikTok video participating in the trend, a man reveals that this painting serves as his phone background.[45]

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The fiberglass body of DRAG-U-LA was built from a coffin that Richard "Korky" Korkes, Barris's project engineer, was able to purchase from a funeral home in North Hollywood. Korkes said in 2013 that it was illegal to sell a coffin without a death certificate, so he made a deal with the funeral director to pay in cash and have the coffin left outside the rear door to be collected after dark.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

please don't doxx everyone in c-spam simultaneously

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Did you know ...

... that fans speculate that Forever Young (pictured), the winner of the Saudi Derby, might become a "horse girl" in the game Uma Musume Pretty Derby?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tunicate posted:

The fiberglass body of DRAG-U-LA was built from a coffin that Richard "Korky" Korkes, Barris's project engineer, was able to purchase from a funeral home in North Hollywood. Korkes said in 2013 that it was illegal to sell a coffin without a death certificate, so he made a deal with the funeral director to pay in cash and have the coffin left outside the rear door to be collected after dark.

Approximately 20 years ago we attempted to rent an actual coffin to serve as an ice-filled drink cooler at a Halloween party, after which it would be returned, presumably to serve its intended eternal function.

We were unable to obtain a coffin for this endeavor, and so we had to make do with normal Coleman coolers on the back porch. (The party was still a great success.)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

so the rest of the world is the bologna-exclusion zone?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the rest of the world is the baloney zone

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
The word is widely used in public notices in Hawaii, most visibly on trash cans, leading some tourists unfamiliar with the term to infer the meaning as “trash can”.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
In the climax of the 1982 film Turkey Shoot, several RAAF F-111 and Mirage III fighter-bombers are used to quell a prison revolt.[414]

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
The abbreviation SOAP is officially not used as an acronym anymore since version 1.2, as firstly it is (subjectively) not at all simple and secondly does not only serve as object access.

(ad-hoc translation)

Ocean of Milk fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 13, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

After a rash of lawsuits from Free Towners, an influx of sex offenders, an increase of crime, problems with bold local bears, and the first murders in the town's history, the Libertarian project ended in 2016.[13][14][18]

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Kazinsal posted:

Contents

Early life
Career
Leaded gasoline
Freon
Death
Legacy

love that I and several others knew who this was just from this ToC

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The fact that it is a clay copy of what appears to be an Ericsson S868 mobile phone,[6] a model from the 1990s, had no meaning for the artist, who was using it as a metaphor for mobile devices in general.[3]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cats often walk through houses with their tails standing up high above them, making them look grander and more elegant.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Sagebrush posted:

Cats often walk through houses with their tails standing up high above them, making them look grander and more elegant.

and i fall hook line and sinker every time

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Alert – The cat is lying

is where the text preview of the next body language example got cut off when I looked that up

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

"As sole copyright owner of 'The Old Dope Peddler', I grant you motherfuckers permission to do this. Please give my regards to Mr. Chainz, or may I call him 2?"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Ginsburg

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

makes it sound like a personal struggle, as if he's trying to overcome his addiction to A button

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
The dude has also managed to beat the game without using the control stick. One of these days, we're going to watch a speed run he's completed by the power of thought alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

beat a game using only the left third of the controller