Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

:suspense:

Please, let the tyrant child's prayers be answered again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[One action allowed.]

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So many (wrong) answers! We could give her the sign! We could give her the (figurative) bird! We could give her six rounds from our revolver! We could Give her a delicious hamburger because you're not yourself when you're hungry! We could... give her that joy potion. Uh... we still have the ampoule burger in our inventory.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

We have three (one and two-of-one?) souls to show. Will it be enough to stay the blade? (Not enough forever. Never enough? But, perhaps, it will buy a little more time?)

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 6, 2024

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Can we give her the forgiver sign? But we'd have to mean it...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
oh

that can't be good

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

There was no dawn that day.

The Quest Unknown posted:

A Ghostly Flower
'A suitable dedication, to lay at the stone, of my daughter's grave...'

During this Quest...

* Śmiercią demanded it. One stone more to your burden. Just to make your fear a little worse, unto death. But you dreamed.
* The Eaumur Moot. The auction finale.
* They pulled aside the tarp, and spoke its name.

* Sauber held you as you cried, screamed, pleaded.
* With every thunder of your panicked lungs, Euamur shook and split with impossible gravity, falling into the sea.
* He didn't understand. You were begging for your Mother.
* All he knew is that it frightened him, to hold someone who was just like him-
* But something had gone wrong.
* Pandemonium.
* They could see him struggling to hold you from harm, black and white silhouette against the star-night terror of horizon's Kadath.
* The Final City was so clear to see from the peak, once the ceiling and walls came down.
* When the flower drifted near him in the chaos, he could not reach it without risking you.
* But then a cat leapt out from swimming in the ground, and batted it down with capture.
* The purring cat let you hold him and the flower as your panic ended, and the dream dissolved.

All Considered...

THE THREE-HUNDRET‱

THE THIRTY-SECOND DAY

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Oh do we finally get some details on the "gently caress your dreamlands" incident that landed us in MCD containment?

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Evergreen empty quote itt

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Cuddling a purring cat: continuing to be a relief from panic attacks, 10/10 for realism 😜

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Three hundred permyriad, eh? Fair enough, though I'm not sure it's different from 3%...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Her hood is down. Her sallow eyes weep not blood, but tears. She cradles the flower with a shivering exhale, her scythe forgotten, and looks down at you with weary.
"You found it. Something true to give to her. My Kwiat..."
Śmiercią reaches with slow as she leans down, and takes up your calloused hand. You think of the first time you met her, as you stood over your first kill, and how sad and sweet she was.
"Come with me, good child, to place this in grace."

Together, you walk west. The sky. It's pure empty white. There is infinite silence with every footfall, as life holds its breath in mourning; those who adore the atmospheres know that her racing footsteps are always only seconds away, should you fail to feed the constant hunger for eating air. You go over folded grasses and curled leaves, every bacterium and every beetle moving from her path as she leads you. Even the stone firms itself with worry, for it too could understand life in the magmatic slouch, and death in the dust to dust. When water impedes, you simply walk over it- current has gone still and held its surface tensions. You go to where she has made her stay; a great displaced cliffside faded into the mountains, a grand plateau of weary dirts. As you stare up at the awful ascent, she takes you in hold and gently soars with grandheight, landing silksoft on top. You behold the sorrow stretching.

You walk the sullen mile, to the farlongest back. There, past thousands of empty graves. Where one stone stands alone, blank bright in the all-white.

She lets go of your hand now, but not before she presses the flower into it.
She meets your eyes, and you look together at the stone.
At the empty grave she set for her.
You walk forward with solemn, staring at the flower.
You lean to kiss it once with blessing regret.
Knees bend to the cool wet soil as you place it in grace.
You speak from the bottom of your heart.

Once Upon A Time posted:

You remember that day. When she told you true; she who was once Death was holy with child.
Despite every miracle of your fallen life, you still couldn't believe it. A child immaculate.
She smiled and said it was proof that something out there must still love them.
Because, she told you she knew it true; it was the child she would have had with Polikarp.

"I'm sorry, Kwiat."

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
👀

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

In one End there is Kwiat, in another End there is….us?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Either that, or something happened in the past that led to everyone except us dying, rather than everyone but us/the gravedigger living.

Edit: ...did Holy End have any references to the Singer of Cadenza?

Randalor fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 8, 2024

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Memories of another time. Another End? Rotting with death-denied in a moldy house, until something worth seeing came along.
...Don't remember which page. Back around Bleeder's Theater, I think?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Yeah, I'd have to look up when that was, but the character in those memories was referred to at one point as "Slonce" (I'm not hunting down what the correct diacritics are), and they were stuck unable to die in a haze of alcoholism. And iirc, those are also where the memories of being on stage for the children come from.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Your current character statistics screen-

[CHARACTER SHEET]

Śmiercią gives her blessing to grow your power. You have 1 Level to spend. Your choices of what can be empowered are as follows-

Level Up! posted:

1. Clearer ESP
2. Better bandagin'
3. Stronger magery
4. Greater speed
5. Improved defense
6. Molochine damage
7. Darker tyranny

[This is the 8th Level.]
Be wise in what you wish for.
Questions or confusions will be addressed as needed.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
THAT'S A LOTTA DAMAGE!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

While I would have loved to upgrade our ESP, bandaging or magic... DAMAGE! DAMAGE! DAMAGE!

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

That is a nice damage buff. But I think Tyranny could use the upgrade too. We don't always need it, but when we do, we really do.
Being able to count on it a bit more when we need it seems the way to go, to me.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I went with esp, because let's be fair: our psychic abilities have been pretty helpful.

Also, when did the Oilstained Shield's description get that it's capable of reviving added to it??? :catstare:

Mechtroid
Feb 14, 2014
I was torn between Tyranny and Damage, but in the end BIG NUMBER won out (and is currently tied... I'm scared what will happen if it stays that way.)

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

It is necromantic oil its stained with. :v:

But yes, I'd say it being blessed has something to do with that change. Something to keep an eye on, here and there.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Psychic feels like it'd be the most useful cause we already do tremendous damage, but trying to turn invisible etc is often a coinflip. Plus we just got Psi Arcade!

Razakai fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 9, 2024

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Whats better than doing X + 1 damage?

Doing X x 2 damage!

So I voted speed.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

ESP is far too useful not to take. Damage is damage, but improving our psychic powers could lead to anything. It could even lead to damage!

(Maybe worth noting that it’s currently coming in second, with damage in first and tyranny in third. I thought I was wasting my vote going by the thread but it turns out I wasn’t!)

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Bleeder is now down to 2 desaturated letters, i'm really wondering what's up with that.

Also remind me who tf is "The angel" we seem to have a "Love" with?

Also uh.

taiyoko posted:

Also, when did the Oilstained Shield's description get that it's capable of reviving added to it??? :catstare:

My read on that is not that it's capable of reviving. it's that it IS reviving. Reviving into what? Reviving what? So many questions.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 9, 2024

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Guessing angel = mom

Voted magic. We use it *so goddamned often*

Like, we use everything on the list other than damage more often than we hit stuff

So much more

And that's a good thing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gotta go fast

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

LEVEL UP!

Level Up! - !ESP γ C-Rank [11] ---> B-Rank [13]. - 12
Level Up! - !First-Aid D-Rank [6] ---> C-Rank [8]. - 1
Level Up! - Magery ---> Magery II (Extra +1 to all magic) - 3
Level Up! - Speed C-Rank [6] ---> B-Rank [8]. (Move faster, more often) - 4
Level Up! - Defense C-Rank [-2] ---> B-Rank [-4]. (Harder to be hit, improved defense) - 2
Level Up! - Damage AAA-Rank [6d] ---> S-Rank [9d]. (Increase melee damage independent of ST) - 11
Level Up! - !Tyranny C-Rank [18] ---> B-Rank [20]. - 6

(You. Hear. A. Sound.)

You're walking back alone. You're grieving madly into your hands, because you can't stop it anymore and you hurt too much to care. You can't stop the mourning. You know this is a funeral in every sense of the idea, and you're going to go back and find something final and meaningless waiting for you, dead in a cage. You just know it. You crawl through the bleak mist of the fields and hills, up into the dead watery stones of the silent school. You ascend with misery's slow, wracked, forced in gravewalk to accept what was real. The ladder is climbed slowest; when you reach the roof, you slump to the door, crying harder when you see that the locks are opened and the door is ajar. You drag fingers to the doorcrack, ready to see it and accept your failure as the

quote:

door finally opens. Locks and chains drop to the floor as they hurry inside. It was dark and cool, protected from the terror. A moment of rest. They all smell and see her at the same time - a chicken, in truly wretched condition, shivering somewhere in the quantum pools between. Immediately they forget and attend to the cage. "Poor fella" Hell says, reaching through the bars to try to get the locks open to touch runes on the feathers. Heaven is standing with a sour look, since she'd rather end the bird's misery the way a wolf would. Instead she tells the sickly chicken, "It'll get better. Just wait." 8th is staring around with an uncomfortable thought, but then he walks to the cage and sees the bird being traced by Hell with a rune that said HEAL and a rune that said BODY. The chicken vomited water. She had one collapsed lung. But that's not what was killing her as they watched. 8th squatted and worked the ideology of esoteric medicines, speaking with the kindness of a rock a bird could warm themselves on. "No no- it hasn't been a year. That isn't right. You're not starved and gone, you're here. You must believe me."

Knight's the last one to come over, after she spent a moment with confused deja vu. It made her remember something vital. She reaches into the deepcooler she had stashed, into one of its special compartments. "Here."

Knight pours it onto a small wood plate. It's some of the sacred feed of the Holy Chicken Knights. They didn't give their chickens just field fare- they got to dine on pyrite-spiced special blends of the best Home could bless. Holy chicken food. The bird rouses out of the quantum starvation and attacks the plate, possessed of an entire year's phantom hunger. Knight smiled and stood up, just as the door slammed opened, and they looked to see their familiar tourmaline light as holy bright while

you fail to wail or whisper. You just stare. At a dark room. Empty of all but a little lovely living chicken named Kwiat, free of her cage, nibbling away at a dented wood plate of some golden meal. You don't understand what you're seeing. She didn't die. She was supposed to be dead. You limp the door closed, dropping everything from your body save for the soft of Red's blanket, and numbly kneel to grasp arms around the beautiful bright bird. You mouth her name, over and over, as the world spins into fade, mind finally allowed that least mercy of sapience.

Sleep.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

L
O
A
D
I
N
G

L
O
A
D
I
N
G

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

KITTY

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Hooray for chicken!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Oh, no, Kwait's not in trouble, it having 0 rations doesn't mean anything"- you jerks

Also... were we always called the Ambassador of the Black Throne? Because I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I think we should hire a chicken babysitter before our next adventure.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, Kwait is MC&D's special customer, maybe we can leave her in the convenience store and the automated system will tend to her.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Randalor posted:

"Oh, no, Kwait's not in trouble, it having 0 rations doesn't mean anything"- you jerks

Also... were we always called the Ambassador of the Black Throne? Because I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing.

What do you mean, she was fine when we got there????

Also some of the other classes mentioned animal companions and the various runs have made mentions to it. We could just train Kwait into a beast and bring it with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kwait was only safe because we sorta-kinda broke reality and the people we dumped into Hell End were able to resist putting her out of her misery. Clearly this means we need to stockpile a year's worth of food for her before heading out next :colbert:

...jerks.

Actually, how DID we glitch the game to think we were gone a year? Was that just because of... whatever the Crumbling Mall Back was, or was it glitched earlier than that?