Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

There's a whole amazing list of "English words that are not pronounced in any remotely proximal way to how they are spelled" and it's handy having an English wife to explain those to me.

Has she been introduced to the Shutdown Fullcast’s “England or Alabama?” game?

Braksgirl posted:

It's so funny to me that people try to pronounce Cockburn as Co-burn and it's like "Nah, you ain't fooling me. I can see that cock in you."

Phrasing! :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

I don't disagree that what Israel is doing is not the correct action, but "I know more about regional history and things are more complicated than the average person is aware of" is not the opposite position to that stance, either.
She's framing it that way, though. That's what Skwirl's (rightfully imho) mad about. "They're only pro-Palestine because they don't know as much about the history of the region as I do."

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

harperdc posted:

Has she been introduced to the Shutdown Fullcast’s “England or Alabama?” game?

Phrasing! :dadjoke:

Not yet, but I'm looking it up because she loves that kind of thing. Thanks for the heads up!

Fifty Three posted:

She's framing it that way, though. That's what Skwirl's (rightfully imho) mad about. "They're only pro-Palestine because they don't know as much about the history of the region as I do."
My takeaway is "If it was so simple to create peace in the middle east this wouldn't be the first time someone came up with the idea."

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The problem is the dems have been implicity pro-Israel with regards to the ongoing killing so she comes off as saying the only reason people don't support exterminating Palestine is lack of education

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The protests aren't about 'peace in the Middle East' though. They're specifically about what is happening in Gaza, which is a very straightforward situation.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh you got opinions?

Well where’s your masters in the subject? Yeah, thought so.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The whole clip is really about how Palestine rejected the two state solution that Bill Clinton’s administration tried to work out back in 2000. She’s essentially blaming Palestine for the current war for rejecting the deal, which to me is even worse than just saying young people don’t know history.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Grozz Nuy posted:

The protests aren't about 'peace in the Middle East' though. They're specifically about what is happening in Gaza, which is a very straightforward situation.

lol

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Bird in a Blender posted:

The whole clip is really about how Palestine rejected the two state solution that Bill Clinton’s administration tried to work out back in 2000. She’s essentially blaming Palestine for the current war for rejecting the deal, which to me is even worse than just saying young people don’t know history.

Which is a stupid solution since King Solomon already tried it eons ago with a baby and all we learned is that if you really want it, you will not accept half of it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Which is a stupid solution since King Solomon already tried it eons ago with a baby and all we learned is that if you really want it, you will not accept half of it.

Yea that was probably the breaking point for both groups. Each wanted the same parts of Jerusalem and coming up with a compromise was near impossible. It’s not like this was some one-sided rejection by Palestine either, both Israel and Palestine had parts to play in negotiations breaking down. It was probably the closest we came to a deal though.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh you got opinions?

Well where’s your masters in the subject? Yeah, thought so.

Listen buddy only experience* matters

*Experience bombing poors lmao

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ether Frenzy posted:

I don't disagree that what Israel is doing is not the correct action, but "I know more about regional history and things are more complicated than the average person is aware of" is not the opposite position to that stance, either.

Calling it “complicated” is a calculated obfuscation to make it seem like there is some secret justification for Israel to bomb children and hospitals with US armaments.

It has nothing to do with her knowledge. These people work backwards from the conclusion they want.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

All of this could been avoided if the American colonists just lost the war & England kept Georgia as their penal colony.
:v:

As it stands those folks are all Floridians now.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

No Butt Stuff posted:

As it stands those folks are all Floridians now.

Florida would be a pretty cool place if we could kick out most of the people from other states who moved here or snowbird. And also like probably half the people born here.

In conclusion: gently caress DeSantis.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

LeeMajors posted:

Calling it “complicated” is a calculated obfuscation to make it seem like there is some secret justification for Israel to bomb children and hospitals with US armaments.

It has nothing to do with her knowledge. These people work backwards from the conclusion they want.

I spend more time than most saying "Death to Israel" and defending the Palestinian civilians to the zionists in my group chats. It hasn't solved the problem yet so there must be some level of complication to the issue.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ether Frenzy posted:

I spend more time than most saying "Death to Israel" and defending the Palestinian civilians to the zionists in my group chats. It hasn't solved the problem yet so there must be some level of complication to the issue.

If she’s so smart, then why is she intentionally misunderstanding their argument?

Maybe “don’t bomb civilians” is a complicated argument to an Obama-era bureaucrat?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well I'm sure Trump will do better on this issue and it's just a matter of the Dems being obstinate.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Happy Friday all! Oh lovely - good day for someone to randomly die on a Hill(-ary)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Happy Friday all! Oh lovely - good day for someone to randomly die on a Hill(-ary)

Yeah, gonna suggest the actual debates go elsewhere. News that Hillary is showing her whole rear end is one thing, debating the complexities of the whole situation isn’t something I want to scroll through here.

Thank gently caress it’s Friday and the toddler - who had one day back at daycare after vacation and spouted a fever - appears to be back to normal. She did crack her nose on the crib in her sleep last night, which was fun.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I’m not sure there’s a politician who has achieved such a national profile with worse political instincts than Hillary.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ted Cruz flying to Cancun was pretty solid.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

harperdc posted:

Yeah, gonna suggest the actual debates go elsewhere. News that Hillary is showing her whole rear end is one thing, debating the complexities of the whole situation isn’t something I want to scroll through here.

Thank gently caress it’s Friday and the toddler - who had one day back at daycare after vacation and spouted a fever - appears to be back to normal. She did crack her nose on the crib in her sleep last night, which was fun.

my toddie picked up the novel I am reading and goes "I want to learn about Sanguinius."

I shed a tear, thinking about how he was the best of us, and said no this book is extremely rated R and any single paragraph will give you nightmares.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Would :abuela: be cool enough to have a cameo in some summer action comic book movie?
https://i.imgur.com/YVsxb6B.mp4
Every time I see Patrick Leahy in The Dark Knight I have a little chuckle.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Even Ted Cruz would’ve campaigned in Wisconsin.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ether Frenzy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBVhj1rj1A

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

Would :abuela: be cool enough to have a cameo in some summer action comic book movie?
https://i.imgur.com/YVsxb6B.mp4
Every time I see Patrick Leahy in The Dark Knight I have a little chuckle.

she's too busy appearing in countless slobbering fluff documentaries and television series, her reward for being a corporate stooge her entire life.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Capital has far too much power over the way policy is made, in both parties. It's why nothing can ever change, not because of individual apathy or incompetence. Although the republicans will probably take that as a challenge.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

You do not, in fact, gotta hand it to her

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Capital has far too much power over the way policy is made, in both parties. It's why nothing can ever change, not because of individual apathy or incompetence. Although the republicans will probably take that as a challenge.

Agreed.

T-Square posted:

You do not, in fact, gotta hand it to her

Hillary is a funny case because I mostly find myself defending her from weird misogynist chuds but I also hate her because she’s a dumb smug centrist and a bad politician.

I guess those are My Two Wolves.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

LeeMajors posted:

Hillary is a funny case because I mostly find myself defending her from weird misogynist chuds but I also hate her because she’s a dumb smug centrist and a bad politician.

I guess those are My Two Wolves.

Agreed.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 10, 2024

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Hillary Clinton knows the American public wants to be told they're unable to make better things happen then give a fiery speech behind closed doors for Raytheon execs

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

like i know that 68 and the rise of nixon was very traumatizing to the american left, especially the next generation of grads from elite schools with connections who were being groomed for leadership positions.

but good god imagine thinking that leftist political action failed and thinking the alternative was to join corporations. like what the gently caress was the reasoning behind that?

"Let's give up direct action and organization and political organizing and win hearts and minds in the boardroom baby awoo (wolf howl)"

Thank you Hillary for making sure little girls can grow up and sit on boards at Northrop Grumman JUST <clap> LIKE <clap> THE <clap> BOYS <clap>

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

She was a Goldwater Girl wasn’t she? Lollmao

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The reasoning was the election of Reagan and the subsequent decade of the rise of capitalism (the pump part of the scam of supply-side economics). It broke a lot of that generation.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

LeeMajors posted:

She was a Goldwater Girl wasn’t she? Lollmao

Tbh I kinda give her a pass on that since she was a kid and I also had lovely politics at that age because at that point it’s largely a product of your upbringing. But also, she could have stopped being lovely at some point if she wanted to.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

The reasoning was the election of Reagan and the subsequent decade of the rise of capitalism (the pump part of the scam of supply-side economics). It broke a lot of that generation.

I was talking about the rise of corporatism in the response to 68, not the hard shift right and abandonment of labor in the aftermath of Reagan.

Perlstein goes into great detail about this in Nixonland. Chicago in 68 completely changed how professors and young students saw political activism.

Also corporate gigs started paying a poo poo ton more than civil service. This was right about the time they began changing compensation structures for executives and whelp here we are.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

FizFashizzle posted:

I was talking about the rise of corporatism in the response to 68, not the hard shift right and abandonment of labor in the aftermath of Reagan.

Perlstein goes into great detail about this in Nixonland. Chicago in 68 completely changed how professors and young students saw political activism.

Also corporate gigs started paying a poo poo ton more than civil service. This was right about the time they began changing compensation structures for executives and whelp here we are.

I really should read Nixonland. It's been sitting on my bookshelf next to Bubbleball and Chronicles of the Black Company. I suck at reading things these days. :sigh:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I really should read Nixonland. It's been sitting on my bookshelf next to Bubbleball and Chronicles of the Black Company. I suck at reading things these days. :sigh:

Same. Before the Storm is collecting dust on my shelf right now (with many others) but the time escapes me these days.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Air Skwirl posted:

Do I take a perverse glee in knowing she had a life long goal crushed by one of the most embarrassing to lose to of all time, 100%

I don't have the energy to add to politicschat right now, but sometimes when I am sad I will remind myself that my really lovely roommate from one semester of college worked on the Hillary 2016 campaign, and have a little chuckle over it. It's important to find the silver linings in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm doing Disneyland solo today. Praying for my feet 🙏