Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Serephina posted:

Nah, they'll keep announcing new material to keep the whales engaged. Like the uruk-hai leader pack, followed by TW: middle earth two, etc etc. The TW:W clientele are slightly segregated from the other TW game purchasers, I suspect; CA certainly knows how to bilk them relentlessly.

Mate it's not even close, they aren't segregated at all. Three Kingdoms has a player base that peaks at Eastern Standard Time prime. Rome, Shogun and Medieval have a bunch of people for whom it remains 'their game' and to a lesser extend the rest of the back catalogue has its fans as well. But nothing on the same scale of popularity as Warhammer and everything they've produced in the historical vein past Three Kingdoms has fallen completely flat.

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=total+war

There are fewer people on average playing Pharaoh than there are playing Rome 1. There are fewer people on average playing Rome 1 than there are playing Rome 1 remastered. That's how bad Pharaoh landed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Total War games were pervert strategy nerd games before TWW1, maybe 2 depending on what numbers you wanna count. Not quite to the level of Paradox but getting there.

That said I don't think the 'failure' of Pharaoh (or Troy or Britannia) is on people wanting something new. They make pop takes on ancient time periods that even non-nerds know a few cool things about. When they branch out to stuff only sickos care about, like Norman England, those are never going to land the TWW numbers.

It also doesn't help that, you know, most of the modern games have had some crippling flaw, sometimes several. Even TWW has a bunch of bad design choices in it but getting to drive your lizardmen or skelebros around kind of wallpapers over that better than five kinds of hoplites.

E: Before Three Kingdoms the best modern (post Medieval 2) historical game was DLC for a game that isn't fun to play past the halfway mark and the DLC is hideously hard by the standards of most TW campaigns. poo poo's weird.

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 10, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Animal Well is a bit short - well, the surface game at least. Hit credits in nine hours, now the secret hunt begins. Not sure how deep it goes, eggs seem to be the main collectible, and after 14 hours I got almost all, at lest according to the egg tracking room in the game. Map is pretty much complete too, so unless the game throws the equivalent of Symphony of the Night’s inverted castle at you, or Fez’s blue cubes, I think I’ve done 95% of the game.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ymgve posted:

Animal Well is a bit short - well, the surface game at least. Hit credits in nine hours, now the secret hunt begins. Not sure how deep it goes, eggs seem to be the main collectible, and after 14 hours I got almost all, at lest according to the egg tracking room in the game. Map is pretty much complete too, so unless the game throws the equivalent of Symphony of the Night’s inverted castle at you, or Fez’s blue cubes, I think I’ve done 95% of the game.

It definitely has blue cube equivalents according to three layered structure the dev and marketing say it has

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Also don’t get me wrong, even if there was no more hidden stuff it’s well worth the money, IMO.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Kin posted:

Is there a state of mind I need to be in or certain point I need to reach in Baulders Gate 3 for it not to feel tedious?

I've tried 3 times to get into it and can never make it out of the starting beach area.

I think the furthest I got was to the first village (which is under attack) before just losing interest and playing something else.

I found the intro cool and engaging, but then it's just feels like it becomes a slog.

It feels like I'm missing something with all of the glowing praise it's getting but is it genuinely that good a game or is it a lot of fart huffing and the marketing?

Yeah, can you elaborate by what you mean by "tedious"? What are you having difficulty with?

Like.. there are certain areas that can be slogs if you don't know the tricks, but the initial goblin attack on the grove is typically nowhere near that. Right now, you should be Level 2 or maybe 3, without any real interesting powers or gear and exploring the map at your own pace. Do not fret about Long Rest, you can do so safely.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is 1000XResist a pure story game? I just saw the trailers and I can't get a vibe for what the main gameplay is like, while the reviews is mostly people praising the story and atmosphere.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Azran posted:

Apparently CA actually approached SEGA with the idea lol
Eeeeh, SEGA thought it was a good enough idea to let them do it to the point of spending 90 million dollars before pulling it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BG3 is definitely a "clear out the backlog for a month" kind of game because nothing there is accomplished quickly. If you find yourself consistently distracted or just trying to rush through it then either make it the only thing you play for awhile or put it down until you have the time and energy to dedicate to fully exploring its systems. Every screen is dense with detail and you can miss a lot by zoning out.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Azran posted:

Apparently CA actually approached SEGA with the idea lol

Yeah, there was some CA exec who got bored and started wanting to make FPS games. Unluckily for everyone, their first attempt (Alien: Isolation) proved surprisingly good and the company got overconfident about being able to play with the big boys.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
yeah, BG3 is a huge game with tons of detail stuffed into every corner. don't worry about discovering all the secrets or completionism or the sense you may be missing poo poo or anything like that, it's a non-issue in the big scheme.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Artelier posted:

Is 1000XResist a pure story game? I just saw the trailers and I can't get a vibe for what the main gameplay is like, while the reviews is mostly people praising the story and atmosphere.

Looks like it's an adventure game and it doesn't look like the sort to have puzzles in it so yeah, it's probably pure story.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BG3 is a slow burn I would say, it takes time for the characters and narrative to grow on you, and for the game to open up mechanically as you gain a few levels. In Early Access only most of Act 1 was available, and while I already knew it was going to be a good game, only with the full release was I able to realize and appreciate the true scale of their accomplishment.

That said, if you've failed to get into it three times already, it's okay to just drop it. There are games that everyone raves about that I just don't 'get'. I have tried to play the first two Bioshocks several times, and while the setting seems interesting, the gameplay does not appeal to me. Also I'm very bad at it and get completely loving destroyed by the first Big Daddy or whatever they're called you come across

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
they just don't like moving minis around and rolling dice it's fine

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Yeah, there was some CA exec who got bored and started wanting to make FPS games. Unluckily for everyone, their first attempt (Alien: Isolation) proved surprisingly good and the company got overconfident about being able to play with the big boys.

That's not what happened at all. Alien: Isolation was made by the (very small initially) team that made Viking: Battle for Asgard. The game is considered a classic now, but was a critical and a commercial failure and the entire team who worked on it were let go. Hyenas was made by a totally different group of people.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Kin posted:

Is there a state of mind I need to be in or certain point I need to reach in Baulders Gate 3 for it not to feel tedious?

I've tried 3 times to get into it and can never make it out of the starting beach area.

I think the furthest I got was to the first village (which is under attack) before just losing interest and playing something else.

I found the intro cool and engaging, but then it's just feels like it becomes a slog.

It feels like I'm missing something with all of the glowing praise it's getting but is it genuinely that good a game or is it a lot of fart huffing and the marketing?

+1 to "what is tedious?" but if you have specific tastes in tactical gaming, this game might end up never satisfying you.
The first 4-5 levels are going have very little variation from "I walk towards my enemy and I hit attack", you might have some interactions like dropping water and then dropping lightning spells, but part of the class kits are made to improve the "I walk towards and enemy and hit it" interaction.

Still, it's an engaging game overall, not thanks to its tactical layer though.

Char fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 10, 2024

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Megazver posted:

they just don't like moving minis around and rolling dice it's fine

yeah, it is fine, Im just curious

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The one thing that in the end made me not finish BG3 (so far, at least) was that the sense of pacing just felt off. There was a point where everything came to a head, plotlines converged, the main threat was revealed, everything looked like we're about to head onto the final stretch and zoom towards the finish line... and then the third act started. The third act, which appears to be substantially longer than either of the first two, or maybe even both of them put together, and is structured as a kind of sandboxy hub where you gradually explore and gently caress around. That just really took the wind out of my sails, doubly so because at that point I kinda felt like I'd seen most of what the gameplay itself had to offer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Act 3 is the place where every single other questline in the game converges and everything before that is basically just a setup for Act 3.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Perestroika posted:

The one thing that in the end made me not finish BG3 (so far, at least) was that the sense of pacing just felt off. There was a point where everything came to a head, plotlines converged, the main threat was revealed, everything looked like we're about to head onto the final stretch and zoom towards the finish line... and then the third act started. The third act, which appears to be substantially longer than either of the first two, or maybe even both of them put together, and is structured as a kind of sandboxy hub where you gradually explore and gently caress around. That just really took the wind out of my sails, doubly so because at that point I kinda felt like I'd seen most of what the gameplay itself had to offer.

I'm in the _exact_ _same_ boat

I'm rolling down the hill like an avalanche: I've found a local illithid enclave, I've slain the Champion of Myrkul, I slain him again after he ascended into a big rear end skeleton with a scythe, now I'm going to crash on Orin and Gortash like a wrecking bal----
a circus?
who the gently caress cares
robots stopping me at the gate?
yeah sure I'm letting myself get arrested. sure. I'm going to raze and burn this cit---
a gnome vandalizes the robot and I'm free to go?
the gnomes want me to bomb a factory?
GUYS I DONT CARE I WANT TO MURDER GORTASH
Raphael wants me to free blah blah blah

all this while Orin twirls her mustaches and taunts me.

Act 3 should've been act 1.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah it's a great game, definitely best in class, but it is overlong and can sometimes feel like a chore. Like RDR2, I was exhausted by the time the credits rolled. I can understand why people might bounce off it.

That said, it was one of the funnest multi-player experiences I've had with my group of friends in a long time, and we had a blast just seeing how reactive the game could get with all the dumb poo poo we got up to.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Act 3 is good but I can sympathize with people who got exhausted by the time they got to it, because that's what happened to me as well. It might have been better off as an expandalone semi-sequel with some story tweaks.

I personally came to the conclusion that 50 to 100 hours is an optimal length for an RPG and I'd rather it was close to the 50 than the 100.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Perestroika posted:

I'm on hold at the start of Act 3 too. Things aren't resolved, but a lot of the mystery gets lifted to a kind of good enough point, and for me, that time also coincided with Larian starting to add/redo endings, so that kind of made me drop out to eventually come back to. I guess there's something to be said for waiting and playing Larian games only when they're done tweaking and expanding them. I really need to motivate myself and go back to finishing it.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Yeah, I beat Act 2 last October but then the holidays absolutely killed my desire to do much of anything but sleep.

I ended up starting over and beating the game on a new character in February. The Dark Urge, no less. Now that I understand the game a lot better, I beat the game an additional two times after that, but I really owe it to that first truly failed playthrough and overcoming the various kinds of burnout.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Don't you hit the level cap really early in BG3? Most other games have more lanes of progression to keep you feeling from plateaued.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 10, 2024

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Don't you hit the level cap really early in BG3? Most other games have more lanes of progression to keep you feeling from plateaued.

Unless they changed since last I played if you're pretty thorough you'll be level ~10.5 when you start Act 3 (cap at 12). So yeah, there can be a huge chunk of game where your level is capped. You still find better equipment and some stat boosts and whatnot, but it doesn't hit the same as getting a level in my opinion.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

I'm on hold at the start of Act 3 too. Things aren't resolved, but a lot of the mystery gets lifted to a kind of good enough point, and for me, that time also coincided with Larian starting to add/redo endings, so that kind of made me drop out to eventually come back to. I guess there's something to be said for waiting and playing Larian games only when they're done tweaking and expanding them. I really need to motivate myself and go back to finishing it.

Good news. Patch 7 that's coming out soon will improve some of the evil endings, add mod support, and it's going to be the last time they add any content to BG3.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My friend and I rolled into Act 3 at the level cap so that combined with all the quests convening in Act 3 and introductions of brand new characters seemingly just before the game ends we really ran out of steam in the last stretch of the game. We did finish it but ended up taking a long break about halfway through because we were sort of burned out. When we came back we decided to just beeline the main quest to see credits and even that still took us more than a couple sessions to finally wrap up. Game was great but I definitely understand why some people would see it as tedious. Especially the last act.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Alchenar posted:

Mate it's not even close, they aren't segregated at all. Three Kingdoms has a player base that peaks at Eastern Standard Time prime. Rome, Shogun and Medieval have a bunch of people for whom it remains 'their game' and to a lesser extend the rest of the back catalogue has its fans as well. But nothing on the same scale of popularity as Warhammer and everything they've produced in the historical vein past Three Kingdoms has fallen completely flat.

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=total+war

There are fewer people on average playing Pharaoh than there are playing Rome 1. There are fewer people on average playing Rome 1 than there are playing Rome 1 remastered. That's how bad Pharaoh landed.

Warms the heart to see Medieval 2 still so popular. :kimchi:

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
The gear is pretty bonkers vs actual 5th Edition D&D gear, but Larian said they went with a level cap of 12 just bc balancing beyond that wouldve been a headache. Im not sure if they said if the DLC they started and scrapped would have raised the level cap, but there was obviously headaches involved. 👀

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you're being fairly thorough you'll hit Level 12 around the same time you reach the Lower City screen in Act 3, but the items and permanent buffs you can get from that point on are super OP and more impactful than levels.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Jack Trades posted:

Good news. Patch 7 that's coming out soon will improve some of the evil endings, add mod support, and it's going to be the last time they add any content to BG3.

Ive got a badass Dark Urge all primed and ready to go for it! and even thinking small, like, even just <whateverspell> At Will, mod support is going to rule

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’ve kept BG3 on my wishlist for a long rear end time and every time I think about pulling the trigger I get talked out of it by discussions like this. Think I may just wait for 40%-50% off sales to hit before getting it. I do want to experience it but I’m worried about the length and burnout people are describing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

I’ve kept BG3 on my wishlist for a long rear end time and every time I think about pulling the trigger I get talked out of it by discussions like this. Think I may just wait for 40%-50% off sales to hit before getting it. I do want to experience it but I’m worried about the length and burnout people are describing.

I should note: Even though I haven't finished it (yet), it's still easily one of the very best RPGs I've ever played and I had a thoroughly good time while I played it. The writing and voice acting for the party members in particular is just :discourse:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I can't wait for Larian's next game where they won't have to be shackled by the incredibly lovely D&D system.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Icewind Dale 3

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Perestroika posted:

I should note: Even though I haven't finished it (yet), it's still easily one of the very best RPGs I've ever played and I had a thoroughly good time while I played it. The writing and voice acting for the party members in particular is just :discourse:

This is one of the big reasons I want to get it.

Jack Trades posted:

I can't wait for Larian's next game where they won't have to be shackled by the incredibly lovely D&D system.

This is one of the big reasons I don’t.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'll take 5e over the mechanics in Original Sin, tbh.

And I hope they don't regress back to Danger Puddle Management: The Game for combat system.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The armour system and bizarre power scaling in DOS2 was kind of rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

I did a playthrough just to get to the dark urge ending achievement on normal mode without using any exploits or skips or anything and it took me 8 hours.

You have the option to make it into a 100 hour epic by doing literally everything on harder modes if you like. People who have played through what feels like an entire RPG before getting to third act I get that it can feel exhausting, but if you're exploring every nook and cranny in a huge game, uh, yeah, it's gonna take a while. Seems like a weird critique to me. There's nothing wrong with taking a break if you've played a game a lot, regardless of whether you completed it ten times or are only halfway through at the point you get tired of it.

I honestly recommend people to play through first on normal difficulty and don't worry about seeing everything, you can always go back and do it all again. It won't be anywhere close to 100 hours with that approach.

That being said if you're not in a hurry no reason not to wait. I doubt it's going on sale for 50% off anytime soon, but with the summer sale right around the corner no reason not to wait and find out.