Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
5e has some dogshit mechanics but BG3 implements them as well as it can and uses some homebrew rules and items you'd never find in a campaign to mitigate the most glaring issues. The action economy and added mobility in BG3 is much more of a factor whereas in DOS2 it was optimal to just teleport to an unassailable outpost ASAP and never move again or use your action points for anything other than doing damage if you could help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

This is one of the big reasons I don’t.

To be fair, for as much as I dislike D&D, BG3 does a lot of homebrew to make it pretty decent, all things considering.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

LLSix posted:

The art reminds me of daggerfall. Does it also have unfinishable procedurally generated dungeons? What’s the magic system like?

I know little about it outside of the trailers and the fact that it been bandied around as a "Morrowind-like"

So hopefully there aren't actually any unfinishable procedurally generated dungeons or I'm refunding this poo poo lol

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Also, I must add, I have been broken by Disco Elysium in expectations - I prefer way more a crpg with consistent story, themes and such, and Baldur's Gate 3 wants to deliver a very different experience, where consistency is compromised (and not so much as to say there's none, which is a great feat by Larian) by the need to give the freedom to swerve off the path at any given time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Volte posted:

5e has some dogshit mechanics but BG3 implements them as well as it can and uses some homebrew rules and items you'd never find in a campaign to mitigate the most glaring issues. The action economy and added mobility in BG3 is much more of a factor whereas in DOS2 it was optimal to just teleport to an unassailable outpost ASAP and never move again or use your action points for anything other than doing damage if you could help it.

Megazver posted:

I'll take 5e over the mechanics in Original Sin, tbh.

And I hope they don't regress back to Danger Puddle Management: The Game for combat system.

Exactly, D&D combat is infinitely better.
*clicks on the enemy twice to hit them with a sword*
*end turn*

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Char posted:

Also, I must add, I have been broken by Disco Elysium in expectations - I prefer way more a crpg with consistent story, themes and such, and Baldur's Gate 3 wants to deliver a very different experience, where consistency is compromised (and not so much as to say there's none, which is a great feat by Larian) by the need to give the freedom to swerve off the path at any given time.

My friend if you're setting the bar at Disco Elysium for anything other than game mechanics I want to know what you've found that doesn't disappoint you.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I didn't have a problem with Act 3 so much. It's Act 1 that drags if you play a class that takes a few levels to become useful or you aren't familiar with D&D5e.

I know my D&D well enough to absolutely detest it and low level D&D has always been the absolute worst unless you house rule the gently caress out of it.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The Joe Man posted:

:frogsiren:
HITMAN: World of Assassination Deluxe Edition:
2BJ92-V68GF-FCLQL

Good work, 47. Now find an exit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

I didn't have a problem with Act 3 so much. It's Act 1 that drags if you play a class that takes a few levels to become useful or you aren't familiar with D&D5e.

I know my D&D well enough to absolutely detest it and low level D&D has always been the absolute worst unless you house rule the gently caress out of it.

I concur. The combat while you're in the part between levels 3 and 5 are the absolute worst in BG3.
I really think they should've added a little more XP so you could reach level 5 a bit earlier.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I ultimately didn't care for Baldur's Gate 3. I got to the end of Act 2 and then fell off of it; I didn't hate it but I didn't like it. I just found the combat to be exhausting, the exploration was okay in some spots but ultimately felt like I was moving between combat arenas than a fleshed out world and I just don't like the D&D ruleset they used. Leveling up in the game is so boring and while the traits certainly let you branch out more when you actually got them, I rather have a middle ground between Pathfinder's "Here are ten trillion traits that have menus, sub-menus and sub-sub-menus in them" and what we got in BG3 (something like the skill trees in Deadfire). I just don't like rolling for things, especially social and mechanical (lockpicking, stealth, ect.) - it random nature of it makes any kind of progression in those skills feel worthless.

The best thing about the game was the companions. I really liked their writing and their arcs. If I could press a button that skipped all the combat and let me get to the character and decision bits quicker I'd be a lot more happier but I'd still have to deal with the dice rolls in those situations. I didn't like the encounter designs either. More often than not you trigger combat in such an awkward and crummy spot that you spend the first two turns getting everyone into a decent position then you have a prolonged do or die fight. It's just a casualty of turn-based where you can't have some pacing fights where it's a bit more casual and lets you get a feel of your abilities - it's all trial-by-fire. And all this is me playing with someone who plays 5th edition D&D and was able to carry me through this stuff, I doubt I would have gotten to Act 2 by myself. I think I liked Original Sin 2 more than Baldur's Gate 3 and that's with most fights devolving into the arena being covered in deathfog or fire or some other nonsense while having the worst itemization and "shield" mechanics I've ever seen. But you could at least get really fun combos through skill selection. I guess I just don't like how Larian does combat design.

Baldur's Gate 3 gets itemization right, I'll say. Just about every piece of equipment is useful for the entire game but it's in service of the D&D ruleset. Anyway, don't feel bad if you didn't like a wildly popular thing that got a great critical reception. It happens and everyone has different tastes.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
BG3's level curve is odd in that it seems more dictacted by how far along you are in the main plot vs exp from combat, quests, social encounters, but you can get ahead of certain tricky combats if you know the secret routes to easy exp. There's a massive jump in power between Level 3 and 4 and you are normally going to be spending a long time being Level 3.

It's almost like they are using a mixture of primarily Milestone Leveling and some Exp Leveling for most of Act 1 and 2, but by Act 3 the whole thing easily busts open.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I could see not liking the basic systems of 5E but Larian's approach to encounter design is absolutely sublime. There are so many complex environmental interactions, alternate pathways, and class-specific approaches that reward experimentation and let you feel like a genius for figuring out a way to win, even for relatively unimportant fights. It kind of sets into relief how amateurish most CRPG "run your dudes at other dudes while they auto-attack" combat really is.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
The biggest detriment to Baldur's Gate 3 is 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons, and Larian did the most astonishing contractor job possible building around the lovely framework and foundation they were given. Why they wouldn't want to go back to the Hasbro well a second time with much higher demands to catch an exponential amount of lightning in a bottle remains a mystery, however....

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The excellent D&D movie would have made twenty, no, thirty more dollars at the box office had Hasbro not overshadowed the thing with their licence bullshit.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I could see not liking the basic systems of 5E but Larian's approach to encounter design is absolutely sublime. There are so many complex environmental interactions, alternate pathways, and class-specific approaches that reward experimentation and let you feel like a genius for figuring out a way to win, even for relatively unimportant fights. It kind of sets into relief how amateurish most CRPG "run your dudes at other dudes while they auto-attack" combat really is.

I got some of that in Original Sin 2, which is why I think it's a better game with even worse systems, but I never found a situation like this even playing with someone who plays D&D every weekend. I certainly liked bypassing fights with speech but I'd hardly call that new or even sublime.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

exquisite tea posted:

Personally, I'd rather auto attack these trash mobs out of my way so I can get back to role-playing than solve the riddle of the 9 goblins and the flammable bush

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Alchenar posted:

Mate it's not even close, they aren't segregated at all. Three Kingdoms has a player base that peaks at Eastern Standard Time prime. Rome, Shogun and Medieval have a bunch of people for whom it remains 'their game' and to a lesser extend the rest of the back catalogue has its fans as well. But nothing on the same scale of popularity as Warhammer and everything they've produced in the historical vein past Three Kingdoms has fallen completely flat.

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=total+war

There are fewer people on average playing Pharaoh than there are playing Rome 1. There are fewer people on average playing Rome 1 than there are playing Rome 1 remastered. That's how bad Pharaoh landed.

Sounds like they need to start putting these historical factions in Total War Warhammer. Can the orks defeat Caesar's legions? Will Napoleon make dinosaurs extinct(again)? etc etc I will buy that dlc

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Personally, I'd rather auto attack these trash mobs out of my way so I can get back to role-playing than solve the riddle of the 9 goblins and the flammable bush

Encounters in BG3 aren't really like that, you don't need to have some super lateral thinking mind to win. In most cases you can just use your regular class abilities and succeed. But you're rewarded for being observant and considering the less obvious approach nearly every time, which is pretty remarkable for a game of its length.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Encounters in BG3 aren't really like that, you don't need to have some super lateral thinking mind to win. In most cases you can just use your regular class abilities and succeed. But you're rewarded for being observant and considering the less obvious approach nearly every time, which is pretty remarkable for a game of its length.

Can you describe some examples?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I will quote my post from the GOTY thread to help illustrate:

quote:

In most RPGs, you get a quest to go kill some big monster in a cave. Maybe you can squeeze through a crack in the wall if you're a dwarf, maybe you can jump to high ground if your Athletics score is high enough, maybe you find a cool little trinket off the beaten path, but the same basic structure remains. And that's totally fine, I've done that a million times before and will gladly do many times in the future. But in Baldur's Gate 3, you can come across an owlbear cave by way of two nearby NPCs that were attacked. Through dialogue, you can learn that they were actually hunting FOR YOU, and have the choice to send them on their way or fight. But maybe you don't do either of those things, and ask for their help to go fight the owlbear instead. Maybe while you're inside the owlbear cave, you solve an obtuse puzzle that opens up a whole slice of backstory for one of your companions. Or maybe you miss this because you don't solve the riddle, or fail the dialogue checks, or that companion is simply not there with you. Maybe you decide to get the jump on that owlbear and have your hunter shoot down a stalactite on its head to initiate the battle. Or maybe you drink a potion of Animal Speaking to negotiate and find that the owlbear matriarch you're hunting is injured. Maybe you use your intimidation or persuasion abilities to convince her to leave you alone. But maybe you also spot a valuable owlbear egg hidden at the back of the cave and decide to steal it. Now the owlbear matriarch finally gets fed up with you and the two NPCs that don't even have to be there leap into battle, with their own unique combat barks. After a grueling battle, you finally take down the owlbear matriarch and its consort, but maybe through no fault of your own, you left its hatchling alive. Maybe you decide to spare it, and many scenes later after another series of optional events it will join you at camp. Maybe one of the NPCs that helped you was killed in the battle, and you know from playing this segment before that her dialogue when you cast Speak With Dead is slightly different than had you used it after choosing to fight them yourself. Maybe one or both siblings survived, and you'll run into them at the Goblin Camp hours later, with unique dialogue acknowledging if the other one died or lived in an exchange that less than 1% of players might ever hear. Maybe the prized owlbear egg you've stolen can later be exchanged to a merchant for a storyline that flows all the way into the third act. Or maybe you just accidentally used the egg as food supplies at camp. Whoopsie!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Even aside from all that, it's got a huge advantage in that the great majority of combats are either immediately relevant to a quest or a particular story beat. It was really rough going from that back to e.g. Wrath of the Righteous that just loves to throw random loving demon squad #3 into every room you enter.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Comparing it to Pathfinder is unfair. Pathfinder is D&D for renitent grognards and the encounter design is like the GM is in a competition with his players and tries to win by boring them until they leave.

I won most of the hard encounters in BG3 by just hold person/hold monster and having someone with as many melee attacks per round as possible…

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I will quote my post from the GOTY thread to help illustrate:

Stuff like that is extremely exciting and yet insanely overwhelming at the same time. I think it’s why I want to wait for a decent sale before jumping in, I can play the long game.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
All the total war chatter has made me want to try a total war. I feel like I'd like the Sci fi Warhammer one more? But I have no experience with Warhammer at all.

In steam I have medieval 2 total war, Rome total war, total war Rome 2 emperor edition, and on epic, Troy a total war saga. I don't know where these games came from but I have em. Which one is the best one to try to see if I'd like total war

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Antigravitas posted:

I won most of the hard encounters in BG3 by just hold person/hold monster and having someone with as many melee attacks per round as possible…

That's pretty much every RPG fight when there's a rogue in your party. How else are they going to do damage after their first sneak attack.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

I know one of the very first encounters, you come across a group of 5 or 6 people spread out on top of a mausoleum church thingy.

There's maybe a slightly cracked looking spot in the ground above the people you're most likely to first stumble upon and they'll attack you if you don't Dialogue well.

It's a tough encounter when you have few companions and are low leveled... But the observant player might notice a crane supporting some heavy cargo overhead.

You can just simply shoot the cargo the rope breaks, killing anything underneath and smashing a hole in the ground. Which you can then enter the dungeon via, instead of using the door you would find after finishing the encounter normally.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Waffle! posted:

That's pretty much every RPG fight when there's a rogue in your party. How else are they going to do damage after their first sneak attack.

Just in case anyone else is confused about this while playing BG3, you're fine with either having advantage on the attack or attacking an enemy that's already being attacked by another party member.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Spent some time this morning reformatting my GOTY 2023 post for my personal blog and it was fun to revisit it - some good stuff last year!

But more relevantly to this thread, it made me think about what kind of GOTY list I'd make for 2024 and like, it's not even half over, but fuckit, it was fun to make a list:

If you forced me to pick my goty 2024 right now, in no order:

sam and max save the world -- some of the best comedy writing I've ever seen
mtg: arena
total war warhammer 3
hitman
dark souls and/or elden ring
path of achra
zachtronics solitaire collection
warhammer 40k gladius
reverse 1999
cyberpunk 2077
indika? maybe? (need to finish it)

and then like an honorary mention to watch_dogs legion or something, idk

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Resdfru posted:

All the total war chatter has made me want to try a total war. I feel like I'd like the Sci fi Warhammer one more? But I have no experience with Warhammer at all.

In steam I have medieval 2 total war, Rome total war, total war Rome 2 emperor edition, and on epic, Troy a total war saga. I don't know where these games came from but I have em. Which one is the best one to try to see if I'd like total war

Rome 1: jank but still a quality game if you can get it running your computer. Has a solid tutorial and you get to gently caress around in rome as a roman, beating up other romans.

Medieval 2: older in style, similar to rome 1, but if you can get it running on your computer you'll have a fantastic time learning the ropes

Rome 2: I haven't personally tried this yet, but I hear it is currently in a very good state and solid if you want to play a modern-style Total War game with UI and everything. Probably the easiest one for you to check out!

Troy: what if total war but smaller in scope, weird, and potentially simplified? You will hear a LOT of conflicting opinions on this one, so I'll just sum up with: it's not a great place to start.

If you're wiling to buy a total war game instead of playing what you own, Shogun 2 is the best historical one to start with, as it has great tutorials and is just overall an incredible game. If you're willing to spend money, Total War Warhammer 3 has the best tutorial in the franchise and opens the door for the rest of the warhammer stuff.

There is no sci-fi warhammer total war game out......for now

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Resdfru posted:

of the ones you own, probably Rome 2. Its closest to the more modern ones and has a ton of factions and variety. Medieval 2 is great, but its much more old-school and doesnt have many QoL stuff that the newer games have. For instance, you have to manually replenish your troops and manage each town's garrisons, when that stuff is handled automatically in Rome 2 and beyond

If youre looking to buy a new one and are interested in Warhammer fantasy, def pick up Warhammer 3. There's an eye-watering amount of dlc, but ignore it and focus on whats included in the base game and see what kind of factions/mechanics you prefer. once youve got a campaign or two under your belt, ask around about what factions you like and goons can recommend the best dlc if youre interested in going down that route

the total war threads are a great resource if youre having trouble learning the game or have questions on any of the insane amount of hidden mechanics. Theres a thread for warhammer and one for all the historical games

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Oh see I said I didn't know anything about Warhammer. I thought all Warhammer was Sci fi but now I learned there's a fantasy version and a Sci fi version. Shame there isn't a Sci fi one, I tend to drop off fantasy stuff faster.

Thanks for the answers! I'll give Rome 2 a try

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

For what it's worth, there have been persistent rumours about the sci-fi version getting a CA/Total War game as well, but even optimistically that would still be a few years out.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

StrixNebulosa posted:

There is no sci-fi warhammer total war game out......for now

Not gonna lie, if that rumor about TW 40k someone mentioned ends up being real, that's what most likely will get me to finally try out the series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Resdfru posted:

Oh see I said I didn't know anything about Warhammer. I thought all Warhammer was Sci fi but now I learned there's a fantasy version and a Sci fi version. Shame there isn't a Sci fi one, I tend to drop off fantasy stuff faster.

[autistic urge to infodump overpowers self-control]

Warhammer has 3 settings:

1) Warhammer Fantasy Battles. This is the one featured in the Total War: Warhammer games. It's basically fake-Earth during medieval eras, and you have dudes with swords fighting elves fighting vampires fighting orkz fighting chao demon invasions and more. The setting is effectively "over" as the company in charge of it, Games Workshop, ended it in a big meta-campaign where they blew up the entire setting. The Total War games are set basically right as those big meta-end times begin, so you can decide how it all goes instead. (Games Workshop revived the setting for their tabletop stuff with a prequel line that is set 500 years before the setting is blown up.)

2) Warhammer 40,000. This is the sci-fi one featuring space marines. It is still ongoing, and has a shitload of spin-off video games and books and stuff. Sadly, no Total War 40k as of now - it hasn't been announced, it isn't in the works that we know of. That said the fans expect Creative Assembly to make one any day now because it will print money. If you ask for recs on how to get into 40k, the thread will be flooded with opinions as it has a LOT of content that is both good and bad.

3) Warhammer: Age of Sigmar. Fantasy setting. Games Workshop blew up #1 and replaced it with this. I don't know anything about it, and while it has some video games none of them are good. I do not believe it will ever receive a Total War game, and unless you intend to get into playing its tabletop game and painting its minis, it will probably remain irrelevant to you.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/41043/Why_Not_Both/

Seems like the devs know that people want both 1000xRESIST and Cryptmaster

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you ask for recs on how to get into 40k, the thread will be flooded with opinions as it has a LOT of content that is both good and bad.

Most of 40k content is, in fact, so bad it's good.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hah, you can't buy Helldivers in Baltics anymore either. Guess no HD2 for me ever then

E: And Ghost of Thushima is unavailable in most of the world as well.
https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/1788981898108182681

Incredible

Sininu fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 10, 2024

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Sininu posted:

Hah, you can't buy Helldivers in Baltics anymore either. Guess no HD2 for me ever then

E: And Ghost of Thushima is unavailable in most of the world as well.
https://twitter.com/SteamDB/status/1788981898108182681

Incredible

Look, you don't exist to Sony if they can't get you in their ecosystem (because of rules that Sony set up.)
They'd rather restrict their sales if they can't sell your info along with the game.

Fake edit:

:raise:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Estonia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

also nobody is buying that crossplay account data from Sony, there’s no market for it