Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Veg posted:

His Daredevil started alright, as Zdarsky left him a hell of a new status quo to run with. It has quickly gone downhill into a mediocre run :smith:

I've checked out most of Ahmed's books since his excellent Black Bolt but nothing has lived up to it. That's the trouble with setting the bar high, I guess. His prose collection(s?) was good too.

TwoPair posted:

How is Deadpool these days? I kinda skipped out on the entirety of the last volume. So I guess, how was that one too?

The last run was well-received around here and I thought it was okay/worth reading. The first two issues of the current run haven't done much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Air Skwirl posted:

It's also different eras. Hulk didn't have a tv show in the 90s. The character formerly known as Captain Marvel but now goes by Shazam used to be way more popular than Superman. He had movie serials and DC bought the comic company they were so annoyed about it and then shelved the character long enough Marvel could steal the copyright.

He didn't have a tv show in the 90s but still was famous for his older show. That raised cultural awareness way more than comics can. There were even Hulk happy meal toys. This popularity (relative to other characters) within general society might not have translated to more Hulk comics but it was still a thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Maybe, but I was specifically talking about the question "How do we sell more comics with the word 'Avengers' in the title?" and I think putting Wolverine in the book helped move the book more than putting Hulk in the book would have.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Saoshyant posted:

drat, Hope hadn't had a proper emotional moment written for her in a loooong time. Nice one.

Also happy to see Gillen remembering Legion is supposedly still around.

I cannot believe Exodus might end up becoming the Paul to Hope's Jesus. My boy, my beautiful boy, may you one day have as many solo books as Wolverine.

I assume I'm the last person in this thread to watch X-Men 97, and I still would rather they just made an original show instead of one that's so beholden to one from 30 years ago... but drat did they knock it out of the park. I can't believe how good it is! They've completely nailed the way the show exists in the memory, rather than how it actually was (which is what I feared). Stellar animation, soapy as all get out, compelling characters, hammy voice acting. Honestly, even having to deal with the continuity of the previous show is a mark in its favor, since being thrown into the deep end of continuity is pretty much the default state of X-Men.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/shes-called-kitty-pryde-again-in-exceptional-x-men-1/

Oh, well. Nice while it lasted, I guess.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

can't believe the most doomed endeavor on earth was a failure

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol. But really, the inability of comic characters to ever permanently change has driven me put of mainstream comics many a time.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

trying to get people to call Kitty Pryde Kate Pryde was like when Billy Corgan tried to get people to start calling him William Patrick Corgan

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It had about the same expected shelf life as Ric Grayson. You need a looooot of weight to convince people to stop using a name they've been using for decades in comics, even if it should be entirely reasonable.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I couldn't get used to Kate Pryde. It just doesn't sound as good as Kitty Pryde.

I think it's really hard to call established characters other names. Have there been many name changes that have stuck in comics? Like no matter how hard they try, Ghost Spider is always right back to Spider-Gwen and she hasn't even been around that long

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I think Kate had a chance of lasting, if only because it was a callback to a classic, Claremont story involving her future self. That and the fact that her names always been Katherine, with Kitty being her nickname. But I suppose none of that could last in the face of overwhelming cultural osmosis.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I think it has been proven that you have to be a musical icon to have a good shot at renaming yourself, and even then it's usually 50/50 odds.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the mutant formerly known as kitty

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The Mutant Futurely Named Kate

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

I think Kate had a chance of lasting, if only because it was a callback to a classic, Claremont story involving her future self. That and the fact that her names always been Katherine, with Kitty being her nickname. But I suppose none of that could last in the face of overwhelming cultural osmosis.

I think that works against it to be honest, because comics are the Eternal Now and she can't ever really 'grow up' in any way that sticks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
At least it's not like when Apocalypse renamed himself to [weird mutant letter I can't type] and pretty much everybody ignored it to his face.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
I really like the name Kate but wouldn't Kat work more as a natural progression from Kitty and still be short for Katherine?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

TwoPair posted:

At least it's not like when Apocalypse renamed himself to [weird mutant letter I can't type] and pretty much everybody ignored it to his face.

Rictor didn't and it was kind of adorable.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Not being able to shake a childhood nickname is acutally normal. Way to be realistic Marvel!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
My nan was a Katherine but my mom and a couple of her sisters when talking about her always referred to her as Kitty so it kinda tracks for me.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

They should just make it so people close to her call her Kitty and Kate is her name professionally/to strangers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spacebump posted:

They should just make it so people close to her call her Kitty and Kate is her name professionally/to strangers.

I think that was more or less the case. While she was going by Kate she outright said she wasn’t going to try and make the X-Men call her differently. Logan and Illyana still called her Kitty notably

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Every bit of news coming out every couple of weeks about these new books reverting storylines by five plus years or whatever has real big "We're all trying to find the guy who did this" energy.

Like yeah sure it's hard to make lasting changes in the medium but I fully refuse to believe continuing to call a character "Kate" was actually that big of an ask. :sweatdrop:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It might just be an accident in the press release. A bunch of stuff Marvel released to hype up Krakoa books kept calling her Kitty.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

drat i wonder why

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I have no problem with the kate thing but I also can't imagine people being overly invested in it

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

TwoPair posted:

God, that was dumb as hell. He should have tried rebranding himself as Revelation. Basically the same thing, sliiightly less murdery sounding. Not that that would have stuck, either.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The thing that felt weird about her deciding to go by Kate is Emma basically peer pressured her into it. Up until that point, her relationship with Emma was hating Emma due to a messed up past. It felt more like that specific writer had an issue with her going by Kitty as an adult than a natural change by the character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There was a lot of Emma/Kitty interactions during Utopia that makes me think it's pretty believable her attitude towards Emma would have changed quite a bit from when she was a teenager.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I know Duggan has been kinda bad lately in FoX, but the recency bias on this page is real wild because Marauders era Kate Pryde the pirate queen had been the best use of the character since many of us had been bloody born.

Well, not me, of course, because I'm old. But many of you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Duggan's Marauders is easily my favorite book of the initial Krakoan launch.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

There was a lot of Emma/Kitty interactions during Utopia that makes me think it's pretty believable her attitude towards Emma would have changed quite a bit from when she was a teenager.

I may be misremembering but wasn't Kitty generally distrustful of Emma after Utopia before Krakoa? (apologies if I forgot that era, a lot of easy to forget stuff.)

Air Skwirl posted:

Duggan's Marauders is easily my favorite book of the initial Krakoan launch.

Marauders under Duggan was one of the best Krakora era books. In hindsight, Orlando's Marauders was a huge sign of Krakoa's decline. They should have given us 10 issues of X-Terminators and 5 issues of Orlando's Marauders.

Did they do anything with the X-Men 2099 character that randomly showed up in a Marauders issue?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I may be misremembering but wasn't Kitty generally distrustful of Emma after Utopia before Krakoa? (apologies if I forgot that era, a lot of easy to forget stuff.)

Emma tried to get Kitty to help her kill Sebastian Shaw, but to be fair, it's Sebastian Shaw. I haven't read a ton of the post AvX stuff, but Krakoa largely ignored that too, Scott is Xavier's most trusted lieutenant when Scott was the most recent person to have killed Xavier. And then the other poo poo with the X-Men vs Inhumans was also dumb as hell.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Emma tried to get Kitty to help her kill Sebastian Shaw, but to be fair, it's Sebastian Shaw. I haven't read a ton of the post AvX stuff, but Krakoa largely ignored that too, Scott is Xavier's most trusted lieutenant when Scott was the most recent person to have killed Xavier. And then the other poo poo with the X-Men vs Inhumans was also dumb as hell.

Man, nobody listens to Scott. It was Phoenix's fault Xavier got killed that time.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

It might just be an accident in the press release. A bunch of stuff Marvel released to hype up Krakoa books kept calling her Kitty.

Never read much DC stuff, but didn't someone recently try to change Dick Grayson into RICK Grayson, and got laughed out of the room?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hold on, this talk about Shadowcat made me remember something, was there ever an explanation given for why she couldn't use the gates, and then became the only person who could?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think they were "tech" and preventing her from disrupting them and then they became Magic? Swear that's how I remember it.

That might be a later decision. I was thinking it could all be related to the Hickman thing where warlock krakoa doug was going to be the bad guy?

Would Kitty kill Warlock if she phases through him?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 10, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was never explained, no. once fall of x started no one was terribly concerned about how the gates worked any more.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I don't really care about Kitty vs Kate. It's a name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

we're all clamoring for the big Sprite comeback