Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Even if Hopkins is washed I'd be cool keeping him for cheap, dude owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Also fwiw, the Titans free up 39.2m in cap in 2025 once Byard, Tannehill, Henry, Dillard, Al-Shaair, and Sean Murphy Bunting all fall off. They still have money this year AND will be flush next year.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
If Levis bombs this upcoming season they definitely will have the money and supporting cast to drop somebody else in and have pretty immediate results IMO, obviously I hope it doesn’t come to that but you could put dak Prescott or Jared Goff in there and be a solid playoff contender for sure

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Those guys are both not to my liking at all to be clear, just the first two FA QBs for next year I could think of. They’ll probably both get deals where they’re at. Whatever. Who cares. Big Jeff

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Dak Prescott is probably going to get a billion dollars from someone next year (he has double the amount of playoff wins as Kirk Cousins, that's gotta be worth $200m!!!), and I'd honestly prefer it not to be the Titans if the Mayo Man falls through which I am definitely hoping does not come to pass

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
*ahem*

medium jeff

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
why is everyone trying to get rid of Burks when you signed a slot receiver? That's Westbrook-Ikhine's job. Boyd had the 2nd most slot snaps last year, he plays in the slot 77% of his snaps. I feel like Westbrook-Ikhine has been an ok slot receiver, so yeah, maybe Boyd is a slight upgrade, but that still doesn't fix the Burks issue.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
NWI lines up everywhere. Burks has been atrocious outside so there was some speculation that the team might try to give him more run in the slot since that was his spot in college I guess.

He just sucks pretty much. Even leaving out the AJ brown part of things burks has been inconsistently available, takes forever to get up to speed, has zero short area burst, average at best hands, etc. This is part of why the idea of putting him in the slot doesn’t make sense to me, the only thing he’s been good for is deep balls on long developing routes because they give him time to get moving. And the line has been so awful in both of his seasons here so far that there’s not been any time to develop routes lol.

He has very nice eyes and that is about it.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bismack Billabongo posted:

NWI lines up everywhere. Burks has been atrocious outside so there was some speculation that the team might try to give him more run in the slot since that was his spot in college I guess.

He just sucks pretty much. Even leaving out the AJ brown part of things burks has been inconsistently available, takes forever to get up to speed, has zero short area burst, average at best hands, etc. This is part of why the idea of putting him in the slot doesn’t make sense to me, the only thing he’s been good for is deep balls on long developing routes because they give him time to get moving. And the line has been so awful in both of his seasons here so far that there’s not been any time to develop routes lol.

He has very nice eyes and that is about it.

well, I agree Burks sucks. The thing I see all over it Titans fans rejoicing about signing another WR and ditching Burks when he the signing didn't really 1:1 that role. Nuk/Ridley are outside, but it's not like you're a 100% lock to get 17 games out of them, so I feel like you're stuck with Bench Burks. NWI played 50% of his snaps in the slot last year, so you're adding depth to a major portion of his role, and the outside roles have already been filled by Nuk/Ridley (assuming NWI was going to be forced into playing a larger share of his snaps in the slot).

It just seems like the Boyd signing doesn't really move the needle much. Is it an upgrade at slot? yeah. Was that a major hole in the Titans roster? I didn't think so. I just don't get the super excitement about a smedium upgrade in pass catching. I still feel like OL and edge are huge concerns (I know players have been signed on the OL, but it seems like a bunch of people are moving to different roles and that could be an adventure).

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Because he's a proven good slot in the exact system we're about to run???? This isn't hard

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Our likely starting slot guy before this signing would have either been Kyle Philips or our sixth round draft pick, neither of whom I feel good about in any major role beyond depth. Even if Boyd is just ok he’s instantly more reliable than either of those dudes and now you can avoid having Philips out there at all since he has zero special teams value, or if they cut him and go with jhaquan Jackson he can focus on the return game which will be good for him.

Really I think the person who is gonna be the odd man out now is Philips which is good because he can’t consistently see the field whether due to injury or being an overall negative special teams player by virtue of his fumbling habit.

Metapod posted:

Because he's a proven good slot in the exact system we're about to run???? This isn't hard

Also this.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Also I think the way to look at it wrt the role for burks is as follows. Before the Boyd signing you likely see more instances where Ridley or Hopkins take some slot snaps while burks comes in as an outside guy. Now with Boyd there, there’s less reason to move the other guys inside so burks has less opportunities to come in unless they’re going 4WR sets or whatever.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Tennessee Titans will score 30+ points in at least one game this season.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
not exactly a bold prediction when you get to play the jaguars and colts twice, a little bit of improvement from Levis gets them there easy

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

not exactly a bold prediction when you get to play the jaguars and colts twice, a little bit of improvement from Levis gets them there easy

the titans have not scored 30 points in two calendar years

i am very excited for the new offense

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Soul Glo posted:

the titans have not scored 30 points in two calendar years

i am very excited for the new offense

The better the offense the quicker they can score and let BIG JEFF get back to work.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

fast cars loose anus posted:

I will predict that that Titans will not score 30 on any division opponent this season.

in looking at their opponents (we have the NFC North and AFC East this season), they really don't play any soft defenses. I'd say Miami is their best shot due to tempo.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 10, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
When and how did the AFCS become so competitive and interesting?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

it’s going tickle me to no end when the titans pull a ‘23 texans and go from last to first year over year on the back of 4k yards by levis and co.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

it’s going tickle me to no end when the titans pull a ‘23 texans and go from last to first year over year on the back of 4k yards by levis and co.

What other things are happening in your Madden game?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

What other things are happening in your Madden game?

the colts finishing last, but it IS in simulation mode, so the realism is up there

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i love having the texans go 17-0 and score 50 points a game, in madden

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

unironically excited for the new ncaa game this summer so i can take the volunteers all the way to a natty before they do it for real this season

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I didn't know they were doing a new college game. Those were always fun.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

When and how did the AFCS become so competitive and interesting?

it's always been competitive because there are generally a bunch of meh teams and the Jags. Then they got young QBs (and Levis) so they're still all kinda meh and at least interesting now.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtRGV2lrNkw

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Soul Glo posted:

unironically excited for the new ncaa game this summer so i can take the volunteers all the way to a natty before they do it for real this season

Weird way to spell the Jayhawks.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

going to have to develop some kind of opinion about ben skowronek now. any suggestions?

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

lobster shirt posted:

going to have to develop some kind of opinion about ben skowronek now. any suggestions?

His eventual spot in the Remember A Football Guy thread is secured

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

lobster shirt posted:

how good can a guy who was traded along with a 7th for a 6th be

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I want updates from OL coach Cally on how he’s making them the best OL in football.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Intruder posted:

how good can a guy who was traded along with a 7th for a 6th be

nice av lol

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I want updates from OL coach Cally on how he’s making them the best OL in football.

Titans made him AND the new head of strength and conditioning available to the media yesterday. There’s plenty of footage on youtube of their interviews.

They legit set up a podium for Bill Callahan because they knew he’d have a scrum and like 35 reporters hit him with questions lol

e: the WRs coach was also made available. New regime is a complete about face from the Vrabel era.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
The more stuff I see, the more I love Laitu Latu.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Anthony Richardson update please

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

He's hurt, OP.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Lol

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Currently in the best shape of his life

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Looks to be throwing darts in minicamp and on track to be full go for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012