Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

At this point, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to assume assassinating Zelenskyy is a vanity project for Putin. Autocratic leaders, by personality and position, are compelled to destroy individuals and organizations who have slighted them, and Zelenskyy is very visibly the face of Ukrainian resistance to Putin's insane pan-slavic visions or whatever the gently caress this war is supposed to be about anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

D-Pad posted:

I feel like assassinating zelensky would just make him a martyr and galvanize the Ukrainians even more at a time when things are on shaky ground morale wise with Russian advances, failure of western support, debate over lowering conscription age etc. It seems counterproductive because it's not going to knock Ukraine out of the war.

for Putin the problem with Zelensky is he was the chosen candidate in the parts of the country currently occupied or under threat from Russian troops

Ukraine obviously can't hold elections in Mariupol and Melitopol right now, so if elections were held today the winning candidate could be one chosen by western Ukraine and theoretically have less legitimacy in those regions. It wouldn't necessarily be a setback for Putin at all if something happened to Zelensky

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nimby posted:

It'd really depend on what context the assassination happens in. If it's just killing him, yeah that won't help Russia much. If it includes a concerted push along the front to capitalize on the chaos, or a coup from inside the military, that's something else.

Seems like a pretty strong propaganda victory at a minimum

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
edit deleted - Taiwan defence plans belong in the Clancy chat novel thread sorry.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 8, 2024

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Charliegrs posted:

Yeah I don't know what to make of it. How do you get that high up in rank while also being easily swayed to commit high treason?

Didn't one of their top counter-intelligence officers get unmasked as a spy shortly after the start of the invasion?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Charliegrs posted:

Yeah I don't know what to make of it. How do you get that high up in rank while also being easily swayed to commit high treason?

Colonels are kind of notorious for this sort of thing. Colonel is a high enough rank to have authority and pull but too low ranked to take part in normal politics. But sometimes they decide they want a piece of politics anyway. Colonels getting ideas is how you get coups outside the current power structure.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The US has Michael Flynn--who almost certainly is a traitor--and still has his brother Charles Flynn commanding US Army Pacific (USARPAC). High-ranking officers are human beings like everyone else, and subject to the same things any other traitor is: extortion, greed, ideology, etc. Russia had a mercenary general launch a rebellion ask for a meeting with The Boss. We shouldn't be surprised that Ukraine has a non-zero number of traitors in the middle ranks.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Don't forget that Zaluzhnyi got fired because of conflicts between himself and Zelenskyy. There are very probably officers who resent Zelenskyy and are at least open to the idea of a coup.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Hypothetically, killing Zelenskyy would result in turmoil/uncertainty in the short term, and open the door for a more russian friendly (or at least more pliable) replacement. This has been Russia's MO for eastern Europe since, well, the Soviet era. Zelenskyy has also been very skillful in soliciting Western aid, so removing that piece off the board could theoretically mean less materiel flowing into Ukraine.

It'd also be a propaganda victory for Russia. It could make him a martyr, but that depends on how the rank and file view him. And besides, the Ukrainian army are all too familiar with the price of failure as it stands (certain death), so there's not too much more you can do to motivate them further.

So, a net win/win for Russia. I'd be surprised if this was the only iron in the fire for that goal.

Burns
May 10, 2008

So are they going to actually use those siezed russian assets to fund ukraine's?? They keep squeeling about it but so far nothing.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Burns posted:

So are they going to actually use those siezed russian assets to fund ukraine's?? They keep squeeling about it but so far nothing.
Just today the EU has agreed to use the interest from seized Russian funds as aid for Ukraine. 90% of the 4.4 billion Euro will fund weapons, 10% will be for non-lethal aid. That money should be available starting in July.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DTurtle posted:

Just today the EU has agreed to use the interest from seized Russian funds as aid for Ukraine. 90% of the 4.4 billion Euro will fund weapons, 10% will be for non-lethal aid. That money should be available starting in July.

This is better than nothing but just giving them the entire principal (isn't it like a few hundred billion?) would really solve a lot of Ukraine's supply issues. It seems to just be "decorum" preventing it because I don't see many scenarios where Russia gets it back and while it could be a nice nest egg given to Ukraine if the war ever ends for reparations/rebuilding they actually have to survive to get to the point they need funds for that. I really don't think it's a stretch to set precedent that if you start a war of aggression you lose your foreign reserves.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes it would be enough to cover Ukraine for several years, but apparently not protecting the money of war criminals would undermine the credibility of European banks, which is the most important thing!??? Also known as the Swiss Nazi gold doctrine

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

steinrokkan posted:

Yes it would be enough to cover Ukraine for several years, but apparently not protecting the money of war criminals would undermine the credibility of European banks, which is the most important thing!??? Also known as the Swiss Nazi gold doctrine

I'm not disagreeing in the slightest, but presumably it is taking so long because there are no laws that would allow such a seizure and when it would inevitably be challenged in court, the EU would lose the case. Which is kind of a good reason because it is kind of a point that lawfulness should win over Russian lawlessness.

But come on, is it really that hard to make such a law?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Valiantman posted:

I'm not disagreeing in the slightest, but presumably it is taking so long because there are no laws that would allow such a seizure and when it would inevitably be challenged in court, the EU would lose the case. Which is kind of a good reason because it is kind of a point that lawfulness should win over Russian lawlessness.

I think the legal quagmire is not so much domestic law but rather how international law interacts with it, and human rights laws. I'm sure the 200 bn euros in assets aren't direct legal property of the Russian state but there's a whole bunch of middle men, state companies and strawmen involved.

Since America took the first step towards seizing Russian assets (and they were almost more nervous about that than the military aid package being passed) I think a lot of European leaders want to (a) sit this out until after the election, and (b) watch the American lawsuits and how they progress before doing the same thing.

It's unfortunate, I'm on the "gently caress em, fait du prince, see you in court and maybe you'll get your money back in 20 years" camp but I guess that's why I'm not a neoliberal

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Yeah, the reverse side of "Swiss banks are holding Nazi gold and aren't giving it to Jews" is "Swiss banks are holding Jewish gold and aren't giving it to Nazis". Banks prefer not to have exceptions on deposit safety rules because their entire business depends on the deposits being safe, and politicians can change their minds abruptly.

That said, when Russia is waging war in Europe, it's the type of scenario where you just have to edit the rulebook. There can't be a scenario where Russia levels Ukrainian cities and then gets their moneys back from European banks, so we should stop being idiots and give it to Ukraine already.

Oh sure, this opens some incredibly hard questions like "what if Palestinians sue the state of Israel for reparations in Europe" and aw gee dunno :thunk:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Yeah, the reverse side of "Swiss banks are holding Nazi gold and aren't giving it to Jews" is "Swiss banks are holding Jewish gold and aren't giving it to Nazis". Banks prefer not to have exceptions on deposit safety rules because their entire business depends on the deposits being safe, and politicians can change their minds abruptly.

That said, when Russia is waging war in Europe, it's the type of scenario where you just have to edit the rulebook. There can't be a scenario where Russia levels Ukrainian cities and then gets their moneys back from European banks, so we should stop being idiots and give it to Ukraine already.

Oh sure, this opens some incredibly hard questions like "what if Palestinians sue the state of Israel for reparations in Europe" and aw gee dunno :thunk:

Yes, these laws need to be very carefully planned because A) if the asset seizure laws are too relaxed someone will find a way to use them internally against political and economic opponents or to oppress people, and B) if they are not bulletproof, they will not stand at any court that follows the principles of legality and they will be dead after the first high court review. This at least as long as Russia and EU/NATO is not in direct conflict where some enemy state overruling could be applied.

Unfortunately now it also opens the can of "why isn't Israel getting the same treatment as Russia", which I assume is also the favorite weapon of Moscow in their media influencing campaigns to destabilize the West.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Valiantman posted:

Isn't one of the key pillars of rule of law the idea that laws cannot be made retroactively? Well I'm not a lawyer, just wondering. It's not clear to me either how "real" the difficulties are, as opposed to just being political theatre.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

D-Pad posted:

This is better than nothing but just giving them the entire principal (isn't it like a few hundred billion?) would really solve a lot of Ukraine's supply issues. It seems to just be "decorum" preventing it.

It's the decorum that keeps other countries using European banks to keep their loot safe, which is a thing that the financiers of the continent really really want to keep going. They may turn it over eventually after a long and drawn out process designed to make it look like no precedent is being set.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

jaete posted:

Isn't one of the key pillars of rule of law the idea that laws cannot be made retroactively? Well I'm not a lawyer, just wondering. It's not clear to me either how "real" the difficulties are, as opposed to just being political theatre.

You shouldn't, or in western democracies can't, make retroactive laws, but you can make laws that say that "the belongings of a party, individual, group, private entrepreneurship or country, that threats or is hostile to our country will be nationalized". How this will be implemented is another thing because of reasons I mentioned above.

Having a clearly and openly hostile nation or war makes it easier because it can fall under "state of emergency"-clauses.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

It’s more that you want to be extremely careful before blowing up fundamental parts of the international financial and economic system.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DTurtle posted:

It’s more that you want to be extremely careful before blowing up fundamental parts of the international financial and economic system.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

SpannerX posted:

I can confirm, that shipyard sucks

I talked to someone from there when he filed his retirement claim. Apparently the wave of labor they got when Avondale closed made things even worse.

Avondale, in New Orleans, was the worst quality large-scale shipyard in America. They were the ones largely responsible for the USS San Antonio debacle.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Ynglaur posted:

The US has Michael Flynn--who almost certainly is a traitor--and still has his brother Charles Flynn commanding US Army Pacific (USARPAC). High-ranking officers are human beings like everyone else, and subject to the same things any other traitor is: extortion, greed, ideology, etc. Russia had a mercenary general launch a rebellion ask for a meeting with The Boss. We shouldn't be surprised that Ukraine has a non-zero number of traitors in the middle ranks.
As a matter of principle, I don't find flag officers trustworthy, but I feel I have to trust them anyway because it's worse if I don't. It took the Joint Chiefs of Staff a week to respond to January 6.

Another human factor that might play into this is being dumb and gullible, certainly another trademark of many a senior commissioned officer.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

DTurtle posted:

Like by starting a land war in Europe in the 21st century?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Valiantman posted:

Um, to my knowledge Belgium is already sending aid to Ukraine directly taken from the capital gains of Russian oligarchs' money parked in Belgian accounts. No one protested.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Um, to my knowledge Belgium is already sending aid to Ukraine directly taken from the capital gains of Russian oligarchs' money parked in Belgian accounts. No one protested.

Yeah but the initial question was about the assets themselves, not the interest/capital gains they generate.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pope Hilarius II posted:

The vast majority of the Russian central bank's (not oligarch money) assets are held in a Belgian clearing house. The EU had agreed to provide the interest on those assets as aid to Ukraine. However, there were some details that had to be agreed to.

The interest on that money is made in Belgium and is taxed there at 25%. Belgium has now agreed to send the tax proceedings from 2025 on as aid to Ukraine. And the clearing house has agreed to lower its management fee from 3% to 0.3%. The money should start flowing in July.

There is still some discussion whether the aid from the taxes should count as in addition to or as part of the other aid provided by Belgium to Ukraine (via the EU).

BabyFur Denny posted:

Yeah but the initial question was about the assets themselves, not the interest/capital gains they generate.
The frozen funds of the Russian central bank themselves aren't being touched at this point. There has been a lot of discussion about using it as part of reparations/reconstruction further down the line.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 9, 2024

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Strawman posted:

Like by starting a land war in Europe in the 21st century?

No, war is very clearly handled in the rules and that is war is not to be used as a reason to seize or nationalize assets.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Some journalists are reporting on Twitter that "US officials" have told them that Blinken will be travelling to Ukraine on May 15 for a "major policy announcement".

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr. Apollo posted:

Some journalists are reporting on Twitter that "US officials" have told them that Blinken will be travelling to Ukraine on May 15 for a "major policy announcement".

Not seeing this on Twitter with search terms "Biden" "Ukraine" "visit" "May" or permutations thereof in the last few hours. Post?

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

^ Blinken, not Biden

@kenklippenstein posted:

Secretary of State Antony Blinken will be traveling to Ukraine for a major policy announcement on May 15, US official tells me
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1788589591626199237

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Gah, my eyes, lol. Sorry

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I remain struck by the odd plavmce journalism is in. Some guy with a handle of "read my newsletter" somehow gets a scoop like that?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ynglaur posted:

I remain struck by the odd plavmce journalism is in. Some guy with a handle of "read my newsletter" somehow gets a scoop like that?

read my newsletter is a long running bit of his, including rick roll style links or baiting an image leech so he can change it to tell people to read his newsletter.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Putin has decided, two time's the charm:

The first time they tried attacking across too many fronts at once, they got punished for it. But now Russian troops have advanced across the border in Kharkiv, opening up a new front.

Disclaimer: It's currently unclear how many Russian units have crossed over, and if they will get reinforcements. Ukrainian troops have just started engaging them.

Several thousand people have been evacuated from villages near the crossing point.

Edit:

The article cites an unnamed "high-ranking" Ukrainian military source with Russia having managed to penetrate about 1km beyond the border already. (My own speculation is, because they surprised everyone with this stunt.)

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

That offensive has been expected for quite some time now. I think the first warnings started in March this year. It will have to be seen how far Russia can advance. The expectation is that Russia wants to create a buffer zone of roughly 10km and maybe try to make Kharkiv unliveable as a stretch goal.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Libluini posted:

The article cites an unnamed "high-ranking" Ukrainian military source with Russia having managed to penetrate about 1km beyond the border already. (My own speculation is, because they surprised everyone with this stunt.)

The border itself is probably not worth defending except where it follows a strong natural barrier such as a wide river or big marsh.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Libluini posted:

Putin has decided, two time's the charm:

The first time they tried attacking across too many fronts at once, they got punished for it. But now Russian troops have advanced across the border in Kharkiv, opening up a new front.

Disclaimer: It's currently unclear how many Russian units have crossed over, and if they will get reinforcements. Ukrainian troops have just started engaging them.

Several thousand people have been evacuated from villages near the crossing point.

Edit:

Some Russian Z mil bloggers already claim to have captured several border villages (Strilecha, Hatyshche, and Pyl'na), although I haven't seen any real evidence so far. I am also not sure if there still were any people there, military or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Some Russian Z mil bloggers already claim to have captured several border villages (Strilecha, Hatyshche, and Pyl'na), although I haven't seen any real evidence so far. I am also not sure if there still were any people there, military or otherwise.

I feel like after Bakhmut, I just assume there's always going to be some people who refuse to leave their homes no matter happens.