Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

ApplesandOranges posted:

Have a palette cleanser.

AITA for showing my grandchildren old video tapes of their dad when he was bugging them about their generation?

:3:

this is very cute, what the gently caress is the son on about with the high ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Ominous Jazz posted:

this is very cute, what the gently caress is the son on about with the high ground

I think the son was joking about no longer being able to make fun of his kids for doing stupid stuff and recording it when they’ve now seen evidence he did the same thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nerdlord Actual posted:

:stare: How does a person operate like this?
At the center of the known universe.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Acid vat for this wholesome grandpa lightly teasing his son.

But grandpa already regrets the denim jacket. Why make him wear that stuff again?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mx. posted:

AITA for not warning my wife about my rear end rag?

quote:

So I'm able to wet the rag, clean up, wash it in the sink, and hang it back up.

I mean, at this point, you're already home and in your own bathroom, why not just hop in the shower every time you take a poo poo instead? Seems way less work than hand-washing poo poo out of terrycloth every time?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Shanghaied posted:

I mean, at this point, you're already home and in your own bathroom, why not just hop in the shower every time you take a poo poo instead? Seems way less work than hand-washing poo poo out of terrycloth every time?

Yeah, I feel like this dude settled on what is in many ways the worst possible option here

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Mx. posted:

AITA for not warning my wife about my rear end rag?

The lesson is never buy a house with only one toilet, and OP's wife should have let him have a bidet in OP's toilet.

Or she could stop being weird first so OP wouldn't have to out-weird her.

AITA for bringing a generic product vs the name brand I was asked to bring?

quote:

This seems so silly to me but it became such a big deal, I have to ask.

Last weekend, my girlfriend’s family hosted a BBQ. I was always raised to never show up anywhere empty-handed, so I asked my girlfriend’s mom what I could bring. She asked that I grab the Cool Hwip for a dessert she was making.. Easy enough. I figured it won’t be hard to find, so, I decide to wait until morning of to grab it on my way there.

Well, I get to the store about 20 minutes before the BBQ starts and they’re somehow out of the name brand. They did, however, have the store brand’s “whipped topping”. As I didn’t have time to go to another grocery store, I just bought the generic brand and headed off. Upon arrival, I hand the bag to my girlfriend’s mom. She opens it, looks inside and gets a weird look on her face. She asks where the Cool Hwip is. I say the store was out, but this is pretty much the same thing, right? She looks a little irritated with me but just tells me to make myself at home. As I’m putting my stuff down, I hear her asking her husband to r un to the store and grab the Cool Hwip. I can’t hear the entire conversation, but he must have asked didn’t I bring it because I then hear her say “I asked for one thing and he couldn’t even deliver”.

Nothing else was said directly to me, but there were a few passive-aggressive remarks throughout the BBQ. Such as when her husband arrived, name brand in hand, calling him her “hero”. When the dessert was served, she again made a comment about how it’s made with “real Cool Hwip”. I didn’t want to make a scene, so I took it on the chin.

When talking to my girlfriend about it later, she said that her mom was overdramatic but I should’ve called her to ask if generic was okay. Or I could’ve gone to a different store. I asked if there was really a difference and she said she doesn’t know, but it was what I was asked to bring, so I should’ve communicated better. Again, this all sound so stupid but…am I the rear end in a top hat?

OP shouldn't have waited until the last minute, and should have gotten what was directly requested. But that doesn't excuse the mil for being hilariously passive-aggressive. And if it was so important to have the terrible topping, she should have gotten the Cool Hwip herself.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

dumb people get real weird about name brands

like, real weird

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

that's so loving tacky lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my brand!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

DemoneeHo posted:

The lesson is never buy a house with only one toilet, and OP's wife should have let him have a bidet in OP's toilet.

Or she could stop being weird first so OP wouldn't have to out-weird her.

AITA for bringing a generic product vs the name brand I was asked to bring?

OP shouldn't have waited until the last minute, and should have gotten what was directly requested. But that doesn't excuse the mil for being hilariously passive-aggressive. And if it was so important to have the terrible topping, she should have gotten the Cool Hwip herself.

Op should have gone to get the name brand stuff, maybe with the dad so they can bond. Who cares if it’s unimportant to you, it was important to the person you’re trying to impress. The fact that he knew it was wrong and didn’t say anything about it even after arriving and hearing them talk about buying the correct brand makes him the rear end in a top hat. He didn’t even apologize for bringing the wrong thing.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

DemoneeHo posted:

quote:

Cool Hwip

Wtf is this poo poo?

Ulthar
Aug 14, 2007

My parents are deeaaaaaaad!!!

Shanghaied posted:

Wtf is this poo poo?

It’s a family guy bit

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Guy shouldn't have showed up with Lame Hwip.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

Family Guy

oh. ESH.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Some people are very picky about their weird hydrogenated-oil based whipped cream substitutes I guess

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Op should have gone to get the name brand stuff, maybe with the dad so they can bond. Who cares if it’s unimportant to you, it was important to the person you’re trying to impress. The fact that he knew it was wrong and didn’t say anything about it even after arriving and hearing them talk about buying the correct brand makes him the rear end in a top hat. He didn’t even apologize for bringing the wrong thing.

Nah, he was fine, family are the weird ones.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Batterypowered7 posted:

But grandpa already regrets the denim jacket. Why make him wear that stuff again?

Some nice acid washing might make him realize the jacket probably looked cool as hell and he doesn't have to regret poo poo.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Gnoman posted:

Some nice acid washing might make him realize the jacket probably looked cool as hell and he doesn't have to regret poo poo.

A friend of mine's dad was a textile scientist, and invented Acid Wash. He said "I told them it yellows! I told them!". Apparently not the best-loved achievement for his career.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m not going to shave my rear end because my wife doesn’t believe in buttholes.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

quote:

Cool Whip Original is made of water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm kernel oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skimmed milk, light cream (less than 2%), sodium caseinate, natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, sodium polyphosphate, and beta carotene (as a colouring).

Well thank loving god they got the real stuff instead of the lovely store brand. I bet the store brand doesn't even have real xanthan gum.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Cool H Wip kinda sounds like a president, or a rapper. Or both

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I haven't had it in years, but I remember name brand Cool Whip being better than the cheapo store brands, but probably not enough that I'd particularly care. I can't judge name brand people too harshly in general, though, there are lots of food products that have a substantial quality gap.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

he brought the right thing and they freaked out that it had the wrong colorful letters on the package, its just milk, oil and corn syrup whipped up with stabilizers. this isn’t like someone asked for a nintendo 64 and someone brought home an as-seen-on-tv 30 games in one plug and play kit or something. and the store he went to was sold out of the name brand.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My father used to dip Vienna fingers in Cool Whip and look angry the entire time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My father used to dip Vienna fingers in Cool Whip and look angry the entire time.
that sounds like the world's worst tiramisu substitute

S40CheckingAccount
Jan 14, 2024

kdrudy posted:

Nah, he was fine, family are the weird ones.

I'd have gotten store brand and not thought twice. And if told they were out, I cannot picture the person who would order a special trip. And if someone offered to pick me up something, and came back with something else that I considered not similar enough, I don't think I'd give the "can't even do one thing" line. I wonder if she's given to hyperbole, genuinely believes he's incompetent, or has always believed it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

my passive aggressive housewife mom raised me to only eat name brands, unlike those sluts who raised my little "friends"

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Feel bad for everyone trying to convince themselves the store brand is exactly the same as the name brand. It’s not.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shanghaied posted:

how thorough do you think this guy is being with washing the cloth that it's more time/effort than completely disrobing, getting the shower up to temp, getting in the shower, then toweling off and getting re-dressed?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
alternately, how infrequently do you take a poo poo lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Feel bad for everyone trying to convince themselves the store brand is exactly the same as the name brand. It’s not.
I feel bad for everyone who considers using the correct brand of fake whipped cream to be important to them

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Sometimes it is. Like for whipping cream, it definitely is - any self respecting cook would never use that poo poo in the first place. Whipped cream is literally heavy cream that has been whipped. All the pre-made stuff uses stabilizers that are absolute trash in comparison to something you can 'whip up' in minutes.

There are definitely brands that I go out of my way to buy, like I'll take the Juanitas Hominy over the great value brand any day. But i would never stan for a name brand product - the above example demonstrates that when you do that you'll just come off as a total dumbass, at best.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I've never had cool whip and an unclear on what exactly it is, is it like e.g. mayo where there's a noticeable difference between the flavour of different brands or does it all taste the same?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

If someone is hosting you and asks for a specific thing by name, just buy the drat thing, even if you're an "it all tastes the same and I'm immune to advertising" level of annoying person.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

small ghost posted:

I've never had cool whip and an unclear on what exactly it is, is it like e.g. mayo where there's a noticeable difference between the flavour of different brands or does it all taste the same?

Cool whip is pre-made whipped cream. It's not a mayo vs. Miracle whip or butter vs. Margarine situation where the substitute is unworkable. They're both identical and, ironically, a sub-par option for something that is so easy to make that the phrase 'whip it up' is a figure of speech.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Sometimes it is. Like for whipping cream, it definitely is - any self respecting cook would never use that poo poo in the first place. Whipped cream is literally heavy cream that has been whipped. All the pre-made stuff uses stabilizers that are absolute trash in comparison to something you can 'whip up' in minutes.
How does this have to do with the difference between name brand and store brand products?

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Cool whip is pre-made whipped cream.
Cool whip is not whipped cream at all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My family uses the premade stuff because no one can make whipped cream. Last time I tried it I hosed it up.

But then I had a brainwave. My mother said that my grandmother made excellent whipped cream and meringue but no one else could do it. She also said she had a reputation for using every pot and dish in the kitchen whenever she cooked. I realized that no one in the family can make a whipped cream because they're not using a clean mixing bowl.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

house of the dad posted:

If someone is hosting you and asks for a specific thing by name, just buy the drat thing, even if you're an "it all tastes the same and I'm immune to advertising" level of annoying person.

He tried and they were out so he got the generic version, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I used to beg my mom to buy cool whip, which I remember having a vaguely fruity undertone not present in actual whipped cream. Don't think I'd care for it now though.

rear end rag guy should have just gotten a portable bidet and kept it in a cabinet or something. Or hidden it behind the toilet in his weird setup.

e:

Halloween Jack posted:

I realized that no one in the family can make a whipped cream because they're not using a clean mixing bowl.

what the gently caress