Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's always a fine touch devs can add with making games more intuitive but at some point your player just refuses to read and can be left to suffer in silence for it.

5/5 basic skills is a refusal to look at the numbers on new skill tooltips. Do I want to deal 110% weapon damage or 500%???

I'll admit I vaguely considered the usefulness of having two basic skills. On my first character. Melee and Ranged options on a rogue. And then I just realized they're not balanced well and everybody just takes the same dagger toss or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I think it’s entirely on blizzard to tutorialize better, there are millions who play league of legends and they can figure out how to teach people to buy certain items.

Even launch D3 had a better system with the locked buttons.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are probably going to wait until they have figured out this game’s main systems before they put tutorials in

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
At some point not everything needs to be made for lowest common denominator

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

it is wild that out of all the skills in the game a good 20% are basics that you mostly don't want to use (arc lash feels like one notable exception due to CDR)
22 basics out of 114 skills!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i know there are dads out there playing 15 minutes after bedtime every other night but the builder/spender mechanics seem pretty straightforward and there's a big animation when you unlock the next level down and the cool stuff is almost always lower down in skill trees.

Do we need mobile game style tutorials where it locks you into 15 minutes of rigid "now equip bone spear to kill satan's cousin" gameplay? :shrug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cerepol posted:

it is wild that out of all the skills in the game a good 20% are basics that you mostly don't want to use (arc lash feels like one notable exception due to CDR)
It would sure be great if they were actually worth a drat. Instead of the damage being largely irrelevant but they are useful only because they generate <resource>.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think people also forget that there are literal children who play video games and not everyone you run into is a 30/40-something with Diablo nestalga. Some people are bad, it's fine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have seen kids play video games. They aren’t playing Diablo on a PC . I don’t know if this out for consoles yet

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Internet Explorer posted:

I think people also forget that there are literal children who play video games and not everyone you run into is a 30/40-something with Diablo nestalga. Some people are bad, it's fine.

Actually you have to be 17 or older to play Diablo IV as the ESRB has rated it M (Mature) for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, and Language.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

euphronius posted:

I have seen kids play video games. They aren’t playing Diablo on a PC . I don’t know if this out for consoles yet

I, on the other hand, have seen kids play video games that include D4. And I also know that it is indeed on consoles.

Kaysette posted:

Actually you have to be 17 or older to play Diablo IV as the ESRB has rated it M (Mature) for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, and Language.

:laugh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm afraid to report that most kids are utter scrubs who play zero effort Roblox horror games on their phones. Shameful "gamers" that I could effortlessly annihilate in any remotely competitive endeavor. They disgust me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I cannot aim with controllers like they can for sure

That is one advantage they have

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If you haven't tried playing a recent gen shooter with a controller you may be surprised. They've really gotten it figured out in the last few years, whether it's crosshair movement or aim assist I don't know.

Case in point:
I bought fallout 3 on Xbox 360 once and couldn't hit the broad side of a Pentagon at 15 yards without VATS. Cut forward to now - my kid convinced me to play a few rounds of Fortnite on the Series X, and I found myself popping pubbies in the head with relative ease.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was better at video games as a child than I am now as a 39 year old. Today I am a complete and utter moron, an absolute idiot, just completely incapable of success. That said, I have no problems getting through Diablo IV each season and at a minimum have completed the battle pass each season.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I pretty much only play games with a controller now.

Unless it’s like Rimworld or Stellaris or something but even Rimworld has controller support.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What does this mean for non ~~maximum optimization~~ players though? My very good S2 Barb that could do NMD 95+ pretty regularly without dying couldnt beat AoZ difficulty 1. Part of the problem was that I had so many abilities that not all of my modifiers appeared over my skill bar, so I couldnt time my overpowers because the thing that popped up in that bar to tell me how many weapon swaps I was doing just didnt fit, but part of the problem was that by that point the game was rocket tag and either I one-shot the bosses or died.

Like... what do they mean T150 of the pit is equal to AoZ T25? What level of the pit is equal to AoZ T1?

Pit T1 has level 100 mobs. They increase in level for each tier 1 for 1 up to T100, where they are level 199. After that the scaling changes to something non-level based that we don't know the exact details of yet.

There are three tiers of Masterworking mats, and to get the final tier you need to be able to clear a T60 pit, which will have enemies 5 levels higher than a NMD100. Higher Pit tiers just get you more materials

That's pretty much what we know currently

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fortnite has aim assist ???

Things are becoming clearer now. Thank you

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

euphronius posted:

Fortnite has aim assist ???

Things are becoming clearer now. Thank you

Lmao it has hella aim assist.

It’s cool as hell though

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

It would sure be great if they were actually worth a drat. Instead of the damage being largely irrelevant but they are useful only because they generate <resource>.

I would not have a problem with basic attacks being forced on almost all builds if they were fun to use, or at least didn't feel like poo poo most of the time.
The only basic attack I can think of that does that is Frenzy, which is never the basic you want to use as Barb anyways.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I'm afraid to report that most kids are utter scrubs who play zero effort Roblox horror games on their phones. Shameful "gamers" that I could effortlessly annihilate in any remotely competitive endeavor. They disgust me.

same

except I kill them in cod and get to hear them on death mics and feed on their souls

I'll probably live forever

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tarnop posted:

Pit T1 has level 100 mobs. They increase in level for each tier 1 for 1 up to T100, where they are level 199. After that the scaling changes to something non-level based that we don't know the exact details of yet.

There are three tiers of Masterworking mats, and to get the final tier you need to be able to clear a T60 pit, which will have enemies 5 levels higher than a NMD100. Higher Pit tiers just get you more materials

That's pretty much what we know currently
Ahh ok neat, thank you for sharing. So doing The Pit allows you to do high tiers of The Pit because it lets you enhance your weapons.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I would not have a problem with basic attacks being forced on almost all builds if they were fun to use, or at least didn't feel like poo poo most of the time.
The only basic attack I can think of that does that is Frenzy, which is never the basic you want to use as Barb anyways.
Same. Lunge on Barbs is nice because it helps with positioning but otherwise every basic skill I have used is just absolutely worthless.

edit: Oh and I guess Bash on Barbs is neat too because it triggers stun every 4th hit and you can get your attack rate up really high.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

would now be a good time to make a new character or nah

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Deakul posted:

The next major patch and season release on this coming Tuesday, May 14th. So no.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's wild to me how in my childhood kids would accidentally try to brute force their way through soul destroyers like old PC adventure games and the absolutely random quality control of NES/Gameboy titles or they would blind faith bugfix their way through anything the old internet could do so they could MacGuyver their way past confusing internet settings and installation nightmares to play some old rear end muds or private server mmos or some poo poo and nowadays if it isn't plug in and play with a "do my build for me" button suited for single button touch screen gameplay we have to consider if the devs did the tutorials right, lol. Also a lot of the dad gamers of today were those crazy old kids!

But oh what the hell, new season in 4 days and we were due for the traditional "is D4 too hard" argument :haw:

Deakul posted:

May 14th is the new season unless you just wanna gently caress around and remember how to play the game over the weekend.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

If you make a new character now they’ll be kicked to the eternal realm in a couple of days. Seems like there won’t be a ton of stuff exclusive to the seasonal realm, but you’re still better off just waiting a few more days.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Cerepol posted:

bash looks to be good in S4 which i think makes it #2!

puncture gets an honorable mention as well for being so good and well rounded

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Getting my Diablo shrine prepped for season 4

I actually ordered another Lilith from Etsy which should be a lot nicer. This one was on sale from blizzard and it’s ok but a lot of the detail is lost in the red

Edit I still think Lilith was right and Inarus is a stupid dickhead.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 10, 2024

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I still have a treasure goblin plush my wife got me when d3 came out, I keep crystals in his sack :cool:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I actually had a decent time this patch because the cookie cutter Barb charge build felt really good wide-slamming 30+ enemies and watching gold burst out of them for 20 hours straight. I barely paid attention to what my equipment was since the whole build was just aspect driven. Farming Duriel is a massive snooze and I did none of it.

I look forward to whatever build metas the next season.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

hawowanlawow posted:

I keep crystals in his sack

Whatever keeps the marriage fresh :cheers:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ahh ok neat, thank you for sharing. So doing The Pit allows you to do high tiers of The Pit because it lets you enhance your weapons.

Yeah, that's pretty much the deal. And also, importantly, you don't need to be able to do anything that's appreciably harder than what's currently in the game to access all levels of the crafting system

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Getting my Diablo shrine prepped for season 4

I actually ordered another Lilith from Etsy which should be a lot nicer. This one was on sale from blizzard and it’s ok but a lot of the detail is lost in the red

Edit I still think Lilith was right and Inarus is a stupid dickhead.

I think Lilith was right and that's why I murdered her stupid rear end.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Lilith and Inarius were both wrong. Mephisto was temporarily right, but will be wrong in the expansion and thus need to be killed as well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lilith was right until the last moment when she lets it slip humans will just be her slaves

kater
Nov 16, 2010

If a build sucks it should suck loudly and not let anyone be confused that what they are doing is okay

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DM interview with Adam Jackson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCHr27Bk5VA

New info:

- Golem Mastery on 6 items or whatever will not be part of the live game. It's supposed to be "rare and special"
- They like the idea of making more of the game activities repeatable (the question was specifically about harder repeatable versions of strongholds), but when you turn something one-shot into repeatable then players expectations of it change and that changes the design requirements. Some things will just always be one and done because that's all they were ever meant to be
- Mounts that aren't horses are very likely to be coming

Everything else was the usual "that sounds interesting, we've considered it/will consider it, nothing to announce" etc. It's an interesting enough watch if you enjoy reading tea-leaves based on the way that the questions get answered but as with the other two interviews it's pretty clear that they're only able to talk vaguely about a lot of the things people are interested in

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Inariaus was a shithead who only cared about himself and used his followers for his own ends. Lilith was a shithead who thought she knew what was best for everyone even if it meant the slaughter of innocents. They both sucked and were wrong. Mephisto is an embodiment of evil and is thus always wrong in the long term even his objectives temporarily align with the good guys. Killing Lilith and soulstone-ing Mephisto was the right course of action right up until the point where the Wanderer and Lorath shrug at the idea of the troubled one-armed teenager going off on her own with the corrupting macguffin. That was Prometheus levels of frustratingly dumb character choices.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
The only honest, good person is Farnham the drunk from D1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tarnop posted:

DM interview with Adam Jackson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCHr27Bk5VA

New info:

- Golem Mastery on 6 items or whatever will not be part of the live game. It's supposed to be "rare and special"
- They like the idea of making more of the game activities repeatable (the question was specifically about harder repeatable versions of strongholds), but when you turn something one-shot into repeatable then players expectations of it change and that changes the design requirements. Some things will just always be one and done because that's all they were ever meant to be
- Mounts that aren't horses are very likely to be coming

Everything else was the usual "that sounds interesting, we've considered it/will consider it, nothing to announce" etc. It's an interesting enough watch if you enjoy reading tea-leaves based on the way that the questions get answered but as with the other two interviews it's pretty clear that they're only able to talk vaguely about a lot of the things people are interested in

I would, without a trace of shame, give them money for a Duriel mount.