Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Do we get orgy-porgies too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Platystemon posted:

Time to update the wiki.

Men are getting shorter, getting into vacuous hustle culture, acquiring coins, all we need is Oo-mox to complete the Ferenginization of the Western male.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Western medical training is already built around the assumption that interns and residents are doing cocaine and meth for their 24 hour shifts

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm sat in a box at Veritas Stadion and just noticed the sprinklers come on on the pitch below.

It's all artificial turf what the gently caress lmao.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Western medical training is already built around the assumption that interns and residents are doing cocaine and meth for their 24 hour shifts

Isn't the only reason medical practitioners have to do such absolutely insane stretches of work because of one super influential doctor that set the bar that high because if he could do it, everyone should too?

And then it turned out the dude was on all the drugs all of the time?

It's so loving weird to me that everybody just seems to shrug and accept it.

"Yeah I'm still in training but also responsible for a patient's health so I have to make life changing decisions, but also I've been working for literally 48 hours with two half hour naps in between and can't think straight anymore."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
At the moment, I know in Australia at least, and I've heard other places, a lot of it just seems to be massive staff shortages. Particularly in rural areas, medical staff are apparently really hard to find.

Of course the incredibly long hours lead to medical staff burning out and changing careers, so it seems at least some of it is a feedback loop type thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That and the whole global pandemic causing a ton of burnout, retirements, deaths and general snapping a system that was already stretched to breaking point, and in a lot of countries is basically run by a cartel artificially restricting supply of training. South Korea recently had a full on doctor strike because the government was raising the quotas for medical school intake.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

A 'cool' substory in the medical hell-world is that because of legal changes around women's healthcare at the state level, Texas, one of the most rapidly growing states population wise, is also seeing a mass exodus of medical professionals, meaning the patient-doctor ratio is getting even more hosed there, encouraging more burnout and more moving to states with uh less insane laws.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Taeke posted:

Isn't the only reason medical practitioners have to do such absolutely insane stretches of work because of one super influential doctor that set the bar that high because if he could do it, everyone should too?
it's because doctors are expensive and don't turn a profit, whereas factory workers and drugs are cheap and do, op

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm sat in a box at Veritas Stadion and just noticed the sprinklers come on on the pitch below.

It's all artificial turf what the gently caress lmao.

was it directly before a game? they water astroturf right before you play to soften it because falling over on astroturf is like falling on a cheese grater. at least thats why they did on the astroturf field i used to play hockey on.

if there was no game scheduled then no loving idea

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GoldStandardConure posted:

was it directly before a game? they water astroturf right before you play to soften it because falling over on astroturf is like falling on a cheese grater. at least thats why they did on the astroturf field i used to play hockey on.

if there was no game scheduled then no loving idea

They never wet it when I was a kid :(

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Eczema all over my skin from rolling on fake grass, kids called me Astro Boy

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

one simple trick to turn any game into a bloodsport

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It was rare for any kid who played in a playground made before the mid nineties to come out with all four limbs intact.

Coming out of primary school with all our peg legs and hook hands we were ever so equipped to embrace a life of software piracy, which was the style at the time.

Ah, those were the days. :unsmith:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Men are getting shorter, getting into vacuous hustle culture, acquiring coins, all we need is Oo-mox to complete the Ferenginization of the Western male.

We'd have to give up our nukes first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPBzj90Su8A

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

If they have to cancel Lower Decks, at least give us the Poc & Dar spinoff show :sigh:

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
another fun thing about fake lawns is the shredded tires used as a substrate are carcinogenic, good number of kids get cancer from scraping their knees on it a bunch

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's funny how the "this product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer" warnings turned out to be applicable to literally everything anyway.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"haha they put that on everything!" *thought immediately terminates, pursuing this line of logic no further*

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

"Wow those tracking consent forms sure are annoying :argh: Thanks, Brussels"

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I got prescribed amphetamines for adult ADHD.

It did nothing for the ADHD itself, but drat if it didn't keep me awake and improve my mood.

I was still scatterbrained to hell and back, but faster! And happier! (until the evening when it would wear off).

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

St_Ides posted:

It did nothing for the ADHD itself, but drat if it didn't keep me awake and improve my mood.

I was still scatterbrained to hell and back, but faster! And happier! (until the evening when it would wear off).

my theory is the depression comes out of years of unmedicated adhd so that goes away real fast once you can actually like do something you want to when you want to do it. it can't help with the memory sadly but has helped everything else for me

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
sounds nice, sure would be nice if it didn't take 26 months and counting to get a prescription

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

St_Ides posted:

you could try concerta, the extended release might help more. otoh i might be suggesting switching to adderall the next time I go in because I'd rather my day be frontloaded than all through

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

you could try concerta, the extended release might help more. otoh i might be suggesting switching to adderall the next time I go in because I'd rather my day be frontloaded than all through

Already on it, working my way up the dosages. Got rid of the amphetamines because it was making me clench my jaw and giving me headaches, despite the plus sides.

Still not sure it's doing anything

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Adderall and similar are amphetamines which work for a lot of people. Ritalin, Focalin, and Concerta are DNRI's which work better for others. I can't stand the amphetamines as medication but Ritalin/Focalin work amazingly well.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

i know "literally a black mirror episode" is overplayed but...

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

I got put on Ritalin as a 40+ year old and it's been life changing for my mood. Enough that I was able to get off antidepressants. If my heart explodes, it was worth it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
trying to get a therapist to prescribe Ritalin (or get a rec from someone who can) is seemingly impossible. I stopped trying to get brain meds when it was clear that they wanted me to try a bunch of poo poo that didn't work at all before they'd even think about actually helping.

so I just smoke weed all the time

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

trying to get a therapist to prescribe Ritalin (or get a rec from someone who can) is seemingly impossible. I stopped trying to get brain meds when it was clear that they wanted me to try a bunch of poo poo that didn't work at all before they'd even think about actually helping.

so I just smoke weed all the time

Did you tell them you smoke? They blindsided me with a piss test the first time, thought it was a little rude tbh. I don't even drink anymore though lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

absolutely I told them

if they tried to piss test me I'd just leave like wtf

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I recommend not dating anyone with an AI wingperson.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Milo and POTUS posted:

Please stop black mirroring

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ol qwerty bastard posted:

i know "literally a black mirror episode" is overplayed but...

People made fun of Black Mirror but history is loving vindicating those writers

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

People made fun of Black Mirror but history is loving vindicating those writers

You can even clone dead loved ones by training AI on stuff like their social media posts/diaries and clone their voice to make a Frankenstein chatbot which was basically a BM episode sans android body

I think it was the my new pep pep episode with the guy from ex machina

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

From the same nerds that brought you the dead internet comes "dead reality"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
great, my nana ai insists on being displayed as a talking shamrock

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"haha they put that on everything!" *thought immediately terminates, pursuing this line of logic no further*

a small sample of "Forever" chemicals there's actually over 10 thousand of these

quote:

1. Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA):
- Non-stick cookware (e.g., pans, frying pans)
- Stain-resistant fabrics (e.g., carpets, upholstery)
- Food packaging (e.g., microwave popcorn bags, pizza boxes)
- Firefighting foam
- Waterproof clothing (e.g., rain jackets)

2. Perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (PFOS):
- Stain-resistant coatings on textiles (e.g., carpets, furniture)
- Carpet cleaners
- Firefighting foam
- Metal plating and surface treatment
- Photographic industries (e.g., in film-processing chemicals)

3. Perfluorobutanoic acid (PFBA):
- Cleaning products (e.g., stain removers)
- Paints and coatings
- Electroplating
- Lubricants and metal-working fluids
- Electronics manufacturing

4. Perfluorohexanoic acid (PFHxA):
- Water- and oil-resistant paper coatings
- Coatings for food packaging
- Cleaning products
- Lubricants and metal-working fluids
- Insecticides

5. Perfluorohexanesulfonic acid (PFHxS):
- Stain-resistant coatings on clothing
- Upholstery and carpets
- Food packaging
- Leather products
- Firefighting foam

6. Perfluorodecanoic acid (PFDA):
- Water- and oil-resistant coatings for paper and cardboard
- Coatings for food contact materials
- Firefighting foam
- Automotive lubricants
- Textile and leather treatments

7. Perfluorododecanoic acid (PFDoA):
- Stain-resistant treatments for carpets and upholstery
- Coatings for cookware and bakeware
- Lubricants for heavy machinery
- Paints and coatings
- Adhesives and sealants

8. Perfluorononanoic acid (PFNA):
- Stain-resistant coatings on textiles (e.g., carpets, upholstery)
- Firefighting foam
- Photographic industries
- Heat transfer fluids
- Electrical insulation

9. Perfluoromethanesulfonic acid (PFMS):
- Electroplating
- Metal cleaning agents
- Capacitors and electronic components
- Photographic industries
- Aviation hydraulic fluids

10. Perfluorobutanesulfonic acid (PFBS):
- Firefighting foam