Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

This sucks, but also Subaru is far from the only manufacturer that has been struggling really hard to manage oil consumption within the last few years: https://lemonlawexperts.com/class-action-lawsuit-f150-excessive-oil-burn/.

There's a ton of 5.0L Fords that drink a quart every 2-3k, it's not a defect according to Ford unless it's consuming more than 1qt/1000 miles.

That's been a standard for at least 50 years. Ford's not just making that up.

It was a rule of thumb when I was a kid. If you use more than a quart per 1000 miles, you have a problem. Otherwise, it's more or less normal blow-by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Deteriorata posted:

It was a rule of thumb when I was a kid. If you use more than a quart per 1000 miles, you have a problem. Otherwise, it's more or less normal blow-by.

Sure, but it feels a lot worse now on a brand new $60k pickup to be topping off your oil every 2nd tank of gas than it does 40 years ago.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

They're not making it up, but it's clear that most engines don't use anywhere close to that. More like an ounce even 1000 miles. And some really do drink it up.

This isn't a ford problem only. As mentioned kia too. Toyota has had some bad models/runs that have sticking oil control rings. Ze Germans have had this plenty too in various generations.

Running oil the viscosity of water in engines built to such miniscule tolerances and run at blast furnace temperatures to eeek out a few more MPG and lower hydrocarbon emissions is not helping anything as far as long term reliability in regards to oil consumption either.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Manufacturers having insanely long periods between oil changes always weird me out. I got a CPO BMW wagon 20 years ago and it was like 24k km recommended between oil changes which seemed insane to me. Synthetic oil helps I guess.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, weren't there at least a few who ex-post-facto revised their intervals down pretty significantly/reflashed oil service monitors in the last decade?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Synthetic and tons and tons of detergent

I have an "antique" engine sitting in the garage and I'm kind of afraid to pull the lifter access panel off, I'm sure if I try to clean it some of the sludge that's accumulated is going to get into an oil distribution line and block it and destroy one or multiple bearings

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Motronic posted:

Yeah, weren't there at least a few who ex-post-facto revised their intervals down pretty significantly/reflashed oil service monitors in the last decade?

That could be, I usually don’t put a lot of miles on cars so I do it more by time than mileage anyway (6mo usually).

I’ve never had a car that burned oil but I did have an Audi that pissed mineral oil from the steering hydraulics and that poo poo was expensive.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Synthetic and tons and tons of detergent

I have an "antique" engine sitting in the garage and I'm kind of afraid to pull the lifter access panel off, I'm sure if I try to clean it some of the sludge that's accumulated is going to get into an oil distribution line and block it and destroy one or multiple bearings

Yeah, back in the 90s when I was pulling 70s pickups out of the junk yard to rejuvinate for landscape use we would basically fill them full of atf and run them at idle for a half an hour. If it blew up/spun a bearing you moved on to the next or swapped the motor (a 3-4 hour job at the most on those old guys). If you used modern oil in them and changed it on time chuncks of the garbage that accumulated over the years would break off because of all the increased detergent (even more now!) and you'd end up with failures weeks/months later. It was eaiser to start out with basically an oil flush and see if it survived before investing any time into the rest of it.

Would not suggest this method for anything unique/expensive/hard to get/that you care about! But it was great on Ford 360/390s and 351W/Cs (I was always on the hunt for 390s - industrial motor used in school buses. Timing GEARS. It was basically the v8 version of the unkillable 300-6).

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 9, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
modern oils kick rear end overall and i think that people are significantly understating various engines in the past that were absolute dogshit turds. and the background reliability was overall low. so you have some blow-by at 100k miles, big deal. in 1980 you were sending that car to the junkyard because it had the resale value of a pile of sawdust.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah it’s amazing how far cars have come in so many ways including reliability, longevity and safety.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And how high they have come in beltline!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

And how high they have come in beltline!

don't forget the giant wagon wheels

euphronius posted:

Generally I think the engines are all too small for the weight of the cars

yeah man i'm sure the problem with the 5.0 is that its too small

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It would be interesting to see a graph of base model wheel sizes on cars by year, going from like 14” to probably average of 18” now. That’d be counting crossovers though so might throw it off.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is this kind of '$6000 worth of worthless dealer add-ons that I'm sure 'can't be removed'' generally a sign of a sleazy dealer or is it fairly normal?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is this kind of '$6000 worth of worthless dealer add-ons that I'm sure 'can't be removed'' generally a sign of a sleazy dealer or is it fairly normal?

Sleazy dealer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's usually not a good sign but you may be playing with a stacked deck even if you shop around ex. You're in Gulf States Toyota or Southeast Toyota territory where they are usually doing tint and paint protection right off the boat before they even get to a dealer.

I would not get within 100ft of a dealer with immobilizers on the menu. I would avoid tint just because I don't want it and it doesn't really come off if they've already done it. Everything else is only a problem if you can't talk it down or off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i wouldn't buy a car from that dealer

edit: although they are a hyundai dealer so it's kind of by nature

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

zedprime posted:

It's usually not a good sign but you may be playing with a stacked deck even if you shop around ex. You're in Gulf States Toyota or Southeast Toyota territory where they are usually doing tint and paint protection right off the boat before they even get to a dealer.

I would not get within 100ft of a dealer with immobilizers on the menu. I would avoid tint just because I don't want it and it doesn't really come off if they've already done it. Everything else is only a problem if you can't talk it down or off.

I was pissed enough that my car got port installed roof racks and all weather mats that I have no need for in California but at least they didn't charge markup on top of that or do the garbage tints

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

the fact that has to say 'no this is not an official window sticker' is funny.

but yeah sleazy dealer. avoid.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, "market adjustment".

If you have a Costco membership, buying via that should let you bypass a lot of that horseshit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Absolute sleazeball dealer who makes a practice of this. Just go to a different one.

Why does a new car need/have "painteless dent repair"? Why do I need "identrity theft protection" with my car? Are you going to lose my persoinal information if I do business with you?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah the fake monroney is really something

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, "market adjustment".

If you have a Costco membership, buying via that should let you bypass a lot of that horseshit.
Thanks I forgot about that. Local costco price on something I've been looking at was ~$1200 under MSRP before taxes and fees (I forgot to ask what was included in those fees-destination or BS dealer fees or what) and that seems good enough for me being lazy.

Drove a Hyundai Tucson today and quite liked it, super quiet on the highway and has cooled seats as an available option which seems like it would be great, but I think y'all have convinced me a hybrid CR-V is probably the best value if I do decide to go new.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Motronic posted:

Absolute sleazeball dealer who makes a practice of this. Just go to a different one.

Why does a new car need/have "painteless dent repair"? Why do I need "identrity theft protection" with my car? Are you going to lose my persoinal information if I do business with you?

If I had to guess dealers do this for bank financing limitations. Say an auto lender will loan 115% of the cars MSRP (lets you roll in taxes, fees, maybe some neg equity), but if you add warranties, products etc, they might loan 130% of MSRP.

Just a guess I have no idea.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks I forgot about that. Local costco price on something I've been looking at was ~$1200 under MSRP before taxes and fees (I forgot to ask what was included in those fees-destination or BS dealer fees or what) and that seems good enough for me being lazy.

Drove a Hyundai Tucson today and quite liked it, super quiet on the highway and has cooled seats as an available option which seems like it would be great, but I think y'all have convinced me a hybrid CR-V is probably the best value if I do decide to go new.

Destination and doc fees, in my experience, have been treated as completely non-negotiable, and somehow the doc fee always ends up within $5 of the state-mandated maximum for work that they have to do to be able to sell you the loving car. :thunk:

It's all horseshit which is why the only number you should truly care about is the out the door price.

skipdogg posted:

If I had to guess dealers do this for bank financing limitations. Say an auto lender will loan 115% of the cars MSRP (lets you roll in taxes, fees, maybe some neg equity), but if you add warranties, products etc, they might loan 130% of MSRP.

Even if that's true you're still giving dealerships too much credit; it's entirely "these things are almost pure profit".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

skipdogg posted:

its not its

IOwnCalculus posted:

entirely "these things are almost pure profit".

I suspect the PDR thing is some kind of PDR insurance scam where if you get hail damage they will cover the cost of your PDR or whatever, same with the keyless remote protection

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

IOwnCalculus posted:

Destination and doc fees, in my experience, have been treated as completely non-negotiable, and somehow the doc fee always ends up within $5 of the state-mandated maximum for work that they have to do to be able to sell you the loving car. :thunk:

It's all horseshit which is why the only number you should truly care about is the out the door price.

Even if that's true you're still giving dealerships too much credit; it's entirely "these things are almost pure profit".

Well yeah the add ons are pure profit. They're also a way to get the bank to loan more money on the car. The bank won't finance a 6500 markup on a 25K car because it blows the LTV out of of the water. Hide the markup in bullshit addons that the bank will loan on, and you get your extra profit financed. If a bank will only loan 115% LTV on the car itself, but will go to 130% or even 140%LTV with addons like warranties and stuff, gotta sell those hide the markup in them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I can’t find one of my key remotes for my old car and I’m dreading how much I’m gonna get hosed when I try to trade it in. I am debating buying an oem one from Amazon and taking it to an automotive mechanic because the dealership wanted like $700 all in for it, insane.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

priznat posted:

I can’t find one of my key remotes for my old car and I’m dreading how much I’m gonna get hosed when I try to trade it in. I am debating buying an oem one from Amazon and taking it to an automotive mechanic because the dealership wanted like $700 all in for it, insane.

See if they say anything first before buying a second key?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

priznat posted:

This is the way to go. A locksmith can program it, too.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This isn't just sleazy but excessive sleazy. They seriously put some effort into this but it makes me wonder. Is this legal? In all US States? What would happen if you attempt this in Canada or Europe?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Gucci Loafers posted:

This isn't just sleazy but excessive sleazy. They seriously put some effort into this but it makes me wonder. Is this legal? In all US States? What would happen if you attempt this in Canada or Europe?

Canada has a law preventing any market adjustments, so what dealers do is drive them around the block for 5-10 miles and then list them as used for whatever over MSRP adjustment they feel like making.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

TheBacon posted:

Canada has a law preventing any market adjustments, so what dealers do is drive them around the block for 5-10 miles and then list them as used for whatever over MSRP adjustment they feel like making.

Life... finds a way. It's almost beautiful.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gucci Loafers posted:

I've seen this at most dealerships I've interacted with in my life, and I didn't realize it wasn't normal / universal. Part of the reason that I've never had a Toyota is that their dealers seem to be the worst about it, they were the only place pre-pandemic where they insisted on anchoring to a price over MSRP for every single car on the lot across many dealers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hot take: an ADM is a lot more honest than that tack on bullshit, some of which is actively harmful.

I fully agree with this. Wiring in theft prevention systems or any other kind of bullshit can cause problems down the line. The single most common mandatory add-on I see around here is flashing brake lights, whenever there's a slight slowdown on the freeway here the road turns into a sea of rapidly flashing brake lights because of how common that add-on is.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 11, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hot take: an ADM is a lot more honest than that tack on bullshit, some of which is actively harmful.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
God I hate hate hate the flashing brake lights. At first I thought it was people applying the snake oil themselves, but then I saw a few Mitsubishi dealerships adding it on as a mandatory “safety feature” so I figure all dealerships are doing this.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don’t think that’s too hot no. Certainly more preferable to deal with in a lot of ways

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
But it's a value added service. Why do you hate value?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

zedprime posted:

But it's a value added service. Why do you hate value?

Because I am a commie you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

lol the Genesis/Hyundai dealer across the bay from us is the one I first went shopping at. Young kid salesman, no bullshit, knew his product, made my decision on the GV70, went home, talked with the wife, picked options and color, looked around the internet to get the range of prices and some low ones across the Southeast to negotiate against, then went back there.

12 grand markup on every car. Nitrogen in the tires, anti-theft yadda yadda. 12 grand of dealer puffery, and they refused to even back an inch off of it. I said welp, I gave you a fair shot at it, guess I'm getting on a plane. See you at my first oil change. Then the kid said if you don't buy it here, you can't get it serviced here.

I was so dumbstruck at such an obvious lie, that I couldn't think of a witty retort. But even better- my wife just started laughing at him. I figured that worked better than anything I could say, so we left.